Options

Pooh's Corner

Comments

• Options
    Hope all goes well Grendel
  • Options

Wow, and I thought I was the only person who used running to run away from my kids and the house work! I started running after suffering with depression following a traumatic bereavement whilst pregnant my doctor kept telling me to exercise, and I didn't believe him, I actually only started once I was coming out the other side, and my marriage had suffered irreperable damage. It was my stress relief. Now, I love it, I'm not fast, I plod, but can now plod for 13+ miles. I've even got one of my kids out running with me.

I've actually recently decided it would be great to start a running group aimed at parents. If every adult member was CRB checked, parents could either run with their offspring, or leave them with other adults and run with the faster group. I've even thought about trying to get local businesses involved to sponsor high visibility running gear. It may never happen, but who knows. Nice idea. Let me know if anyone has any idea how I can get it up and running.

• Options

Hi n.g.

And welcome to Pooh's Corner.

Who have you talked to about your idea?

• Options

Nobody yet. Only really started thinking about it this week, when my ex has had my son, and I realised I can go out running more often. Formulated most of it whilst out running with my teenage daughter, we go on about getting our kids fitter, and yet go off out running alone, makes no sense. Am going to chat with a few local parish councillors, try to get the local secondary school involved, they have a great running track!

• Options

The local health centre peeps may be interested.

There may be mums and toddlers groups at a church or two near you.

• Options

I'll drop in and see, am off work Monday, so worth a walk round there with some ideas jotted on a scrap of paper. It could work well, its amazing how many times I hear people say they can't go to the gym or out running, swimming etc because of child care being an issue. Even some sort of childcare pool could work. I would prefer something where I can get my kids into it, I find it sad that I am fitter and do more exercise than all 3 of my kids, and I'm 37 years old, and for at least 20 years did no exercise.

I will let you know if anything comes of it.

• Options

Hello Ng and welcome...

Hi Everyone (waves)

Grendel you did mail me sorry...  My mind not what it used to be... its the dementia....   which reminds me... what am I doing on here????  Sorry .... bad... I am naughty..... (smack... smack.....)  I will mail you over the weekend.  Good luck thought for Monday should i not manage to get on.  Oh going fishing tomorrow night so should get to do it then.  image

Know what you mean about the childcare issue.  OH put in for a job with 2 offshore companies.  One of which is really interested.  If he goes offshore, then any holidays/illnesses Mouse has I am up the creek...  Though he did say i could hire a treadmill/cross trainer  (NOOOOOOOOOOOOO) until we could afford one.....   

Ah well that sounds like mouse settled.  She has been a bit restless.  She was late in bed.  HAd a really good day with my friend Alyson....  Been to Durham. Got a lovely pair of shorts... okay I know it is winter.....   Mouse played with her son Charlie (who is a year older)  She is smitten....  She thought he was great.  She held his hand.  Didn't run around the shops...    Wonderful.....

Thats it.  Bed calls.  She has not called out in 20 mins... so sleep it is.....

night all...

• Options
    BD how do you get RW subscriber??? I just noticed it.  I subsribe.....  I want one.......  I want one........ 
  • Options

i am quite fortunate in that my OH is not a runner and will therefore keep an eye on mini when i am plodding.

fab news grendel, hope the new job goes well.  i have an interview for another department at work; the new job isn't going as well as i'd hopedimage

hope it all works out naughtygirl.  you would all definitely need to be CRB checked as anyone that works will children/vulnerable adults does.  sounds like a good idea.

• Options

how goes the new job grendel?  didn't get the job i went for but was apparently a "very close second."

mini is just getting over the chicken pox, poor thing.  it is like having a small child infested with fleas, she is scratching so much.image   she is much better now though.  we are going to see "Mickey's Magic Show" at Wembley Arena next Saturday.   Then, the following Saturday, she is (drum roll please) starting swimming lessons!!!!  8.30am on a Saturday morning though, so no lie ins for me for the next 14 weeksimage

suppose i should show willing and do some work.......

• Options

happy mummy's day for the mummies on the thread for sunday.image

daddies have to wait until june, unfortunately.image

• Options

finally over the pox now, thank goodness.  mini finally has a diagnosis - asperger's syndrome.  she is VERY excited about mickey on saturday.  although i had an email from ticketmaster to warn us that although our show is at wembley arena, england are playing slovenia at the stadium next door. hoo-bloody-ray.

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I know a couple of people with AS Tweety - it's really no big deal you know - in fact there are three people I know who have (seperately)  and not including me, diganosed Michelle as having it but never having been  properely diagnosed.

Good luck with it and enjoy Mickey at the weekend

• Options

mickey was cracking.  good atmosphere around wembley cos of the footie and passed a supporters band being interviewed by BBC Radio 5 Live.  Glad it wasn't TV as mini walked past with a mickey hat on with her fingers in her ears image

couple of books arrived on AS i ordered from amazon.  all cats have asperger syndrome is a great book and I'm going to take it into mini's school because it is an ideal way to introduce young people to AS and why peeps with AS are different.

bad news - GP misdiagnosed mini with the pox a couple of weeks ago.  she wasn't sure but said keep her off school any way.  the reason i know this?  she has it nowimage the poor thing is covered in weepy, itchy spots which multiply by the hour.  her temperature is constantly up as well, despite living on a diet of calpol for the last 24 hours.  oh well.  more time off work.  only wednesday and friday though, as MIL is having mini tomorrow, OH has tuesday off, i have wednesday off and my mum is coming up wednesday evening to have her thursday and i am going to ask boss for friday off again.

oh well.  hope everyone else's kids are healthier than mine at the moment!

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I hope she picks up quickly tweety - good idea to do the school thing tweety - how are you feeling in yourself tweety? we always think of the children but sometimes forget that there is a mum and dad behind it who are effected to - and depite the as she is still your little girl and the same little person as she was before the diagnosis -

• Options
    thanks for asking about mummy and daddy as well - it is very sweet of you to ask.  we are both knackered as she is scratchy so much.  with regards to the AS, i think we are finding we are quite protective of her.  MIL keeps saying to OH what would we do if she needed 24 hour care etc/was severely disabled?  OH says we would just cope with it and she would be the same person anyway.  i have got myself these card things from National Austitic Society.  They are business card sized and ideal for when you are out in public and get the evils or moaning people and you can just give them a card.
  • Options

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=435&a=5171

here is the link for the cards.  think they may come in useful, especially as mini has never really liked shopping.

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Glad you are Ok - no one ever said being a parent was easy,

Take care and keep in touch

• Options

thanks grendel. 

mini had another bad night.  she is really badly affected by the chicken pox.  she has them in her throat and on her tongue and finds it hard to swallow, let alone eat.  we got her a happy meal last night which is usually her favourite and she was crying as she ate it image

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    and you can't help her, just make sure she drinks plenty hope she picks up quickly
  • Options

a bit better night, thank goodness.  there must be a chicken pox epidemic in harold hill as when OH went to tesco for more calamine aqueous cream, they had run out (and they had run out of the lotion.)  ended up having to go to romford at 9pm last night as the boots in the brewery has a pharmacy that is open 'til midnight.  she looked like casper by the time we had finished putting cream on her.  she also has a nasty cough, so by the time we had given her antihistamine and calpol, i think we must have drugged her into submissionimage

she seems a bit more herself today.  had a day off today but back to work tomorrow.image

thanks again for your support grendel.  it means a lot.

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    i'm glad she is a lttle better hope she and you all have a good nights sleep
  • Options

looks like you're not sleeping grendel - what on earth are you doing up at that time?

mini much better from the pox front, although her feet and ankles seem to have flared up (where bizarrely her exzema is the worst) but I she always gets a flare up when she's poorly so I expected it.

we are at home today as I am on chicken pox duty.  as i now have 10 years service in the NHS i get more annual leave so it makes sense for me to have time off when she's ill.  my mum came to look after her yesterday and did a huge pile of ironing.image  have asked her to come back at the same time next weekimage  have always said that if i ever win the lottery (i rarely buy a ticket) the first thing i will do is pay someone to do my ironing.

• Options
    mini has started to pick her scabsimage
  • Options
    mini had her first swimming lesson saturday morning image
  • Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I was up at that time because I am not sleeping very well - not sure why!

Glad she is feeling better tweety - and the swimming is great for her

• Options

hope you are ok grendel.  how's the mini grendel - behaving himself in the school holidays?

mini's scabs are coming off her head now so it looks like she has big clumps of dandruff in her hair.  and the excema has flared up.  ho hum.  i suppose these things are send to try usimage

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Mini is doing very well, Michelle is at her dads for a couple of days and is coming home later (will have to tidy the place up) he has been as good as gold. We went to see a friend of his this afternoon and her Mum said he is a completly different little boy with me than with his Mum