Options

Liverpool Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    I think there could be a few reasons why RL don't want to be involved in the petition.

* If the petition is to get the council/cultural company to tender the race, they might deem it inappropriate to support the petition and then tender themselves for that contract.

* If they publicly acknowledge that Liverpool City Council need a push to help get events off the ground, that is hardly going to endear them with the council and could infringe on their organisation of their usual races.

* If, as had been suggested, they have been given the rights to operate Liverpool City Council's races there could well be a clause meaning they are unable to do support the petition.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact they don't appear to be supporting it. Hopefully, they're letting the petition take care of itself (which they can do given how well its being taken care of) and doing all the 'behind the scenes' stuff to make sure the race can go ahead.
  • Options
    Birdy, the blog looks great. Shall I put a link to it on my own blog? (www.extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.com if you want to check it out before you commit)
  • Options
    Redhead, thanks you are a diamond, go ahead and link away!

Wirral Dave, your points may or may not be valid, but irrespective of any of that, I emailed them a comprehensive overview of the campaign. And regardless of whether or not they want to be involved or not, a carefully worded thanks but no thanks, would have sufficed. To ignore it is just totally out of order actually. But as I’ve previously said, can we please leave RL out of this for now.

By the way, I heard today that the article on the blog was featured in the South Merseymart also, which is great news. That’s our side of the river covered, any news of the one we sent to the Wirral Globe?

Anyway of out now for the annual works Xmas do………so catch you all tomorrow.

• Options
    Quick petition update – passed 550 mark today, great stuff.

Thanks and keep it up everyone.

• Options
    Been away for a few weeks and just catching up. Have taken on board Mr H idea and passed details to all in my address book. Don't want to go back to start of forum but is there a link to a poster/info that I can download to print out and I will put them up in work/work gym/total fitness etc. Working in London next week and will run on Tuesday with Serpentine runners (as a guest) and can create and hand out some flyers etc.
  • Options
    Treadmiller, I have got some flyers and also I have the logo cut out and laminated in my car and also got family and friends displaying them as well, I can email all of this to you but you will need to email me first as I can’t send attachments via RW.

Anywhere you can distribute info would be great.

Cheers

• Options
    Just seen this (read only the first page of posts) for the first time, I would be interested in doing a marathon in Liverpool as I love the city and it was where I did college for three years- where is the petition?
  • Options
    Just to let you know, I have emailed the Executive Director of the Culture Company, Jason Harborow, in relation to the Marathon.

He responded today, and said that he has asked colleagues in the Sport and Leisure Dept to look into our proposal and will contact me again soon.

I will keep you informed once I receive anything. Fingers Crossed!

:-)

• Options
    Just got back from the public meeting, don’t want to build anyone’s hopes up but.....we asked the question.....and I have to say the reply we got was more positive than negative.

In a nutshell, the response was that they are looking at the possibility of reinstating a Marathon, not only for 2008, but also as a permanent fixture in the racing calendar of events. And that they were looking at where there may be a ‘window of opportunity’ that a Liverpool Marathon could fit into in that calendar. The Leader of the Council agreed that this would attract athletes from all over the world and that this would be a good thing for the city, he emphasised the point about a ‘sustainable’ event.

Someone approached us from the Culture Company who took our details and said that the Creative Sport Manager would be in touch with us shortly.

So not a definite yes, but this is the response we got, no promises but more hopeful than an outright refusal.

• Options
    good stuff birdy, sounds promising! the petition has hit the 600 mark today aswell... I just hope the council can see the benefits of adding a marathon on the calendar, hopefully it wont be at the expense of either the 10k or the half marathon though... the more events the better
  • Options
    I think the idea of a Liverpool marathon is FAB -have signed petition today.

btw its good to see some nearby runners posting on threads -especially those in Everton tops!
  • Options
    Excellent work Birdy.

I'll be sending out some virtual Christmas cards to foreign friends and relatives all with the link. Over Christmas I will get to work on the web site idea. All input gratefully received. - www.merseymarathon08.org.uk To some extent the idea is superflous as the petition shows up No1 if you Google Mersey Marathon 2008.

As for a downloadable poster - that's a great idea. A small version in the back window of your car should get some attention. I'll add it to my list of To do's
  • Options
    Have we made any progress in roping in Local celebrities - Ex footballers, TV & Radio presenters, journalists etc. Would any of them be prepared to make statements for the Blog or the web site?

Also London Marathon does not allow anything other than racing wheelchairs to compete. There was a petition to allow Mick n Phil and others in normal wheelchairs to compete in London but the London Marathon Company turned them down (it would open the floodgates and cause safety issues). Mick n Phil have completed lots of other marathons without any safety issues. They normally go off either at the back or head off 5-10 minutes ahead of the field. They take around 4 hours for a marathon - RESPECT! Mick n Phil

• Options
    Well done Birdy, that is a good, postive start. Let's hope something comes of it.
  • Options
    Oops, sorry!!

Worth having a look though.
  • Options
    Its looking more and more likely thats it is going to happen, i was going to focus next year on half marathons anyway, but was considering whether to spend 2007/08 season on track 800m-5000m (always wanted to try out steeplechase aswell for some reason!) But if the liverpool/merseyside marathon becomes definite i will without a doubt step up to marathon training and then maybe come back down to track the year after...

http://www.gopetition.com/online/10252.html
  • Options
    excellent news
  • Options
    Remember…you heard it here first!

Well there are good news days, and good news days……today is a great news day!!

The Culture Company, as promised, has contacted us, and the news is very good. The guy we spoke to is delighted with the strength of support especially in relation to the petition. He has asked can he use this to support his presentation later this week to a meeting of several Merseyside boroughs in relation to staging a Marathon not only in 2008 but also as an annual event.

One idea he is currently floating is that the event would be staged in a different borough each year, Liverpool one year, Wirral the next, and so on including Halton, Knowsley, Sefton & Warrington. The thinking behind this is that resources etc are spread out so it is less of a hassle getting roads closed etc.

This is still in the very early planning part, and is only at the ideas stage as yet, but he is confident that with the support we have managed to rally that this could be just the impetus needed.

We will be sending him information that we have gathered so far to further support the idea and will be in contact frequently, especially over the coming days.

So well done everyone, watch this space (and the blog) for further updates.
  • Options
    Remember…you heard it here first!

Well there are good news days, and good news days……today is a great news day!!

The Culture Company, as promised, has contacted us, and the news is very good. The guy we spoke to is delighted with the strength of support especially in relation to the petition. He has asked can he use this to support his presentation later this week to a meeting of several Merseyside boroughs in relation to staging a Marathon not only in 2008 but also as an annual event.

One idea he is currently floating is that the event would be staged in a different borough each year, Liverpool one year, Wirral the next, and so on including Halton, Knowsley, Sefton & Warrington. The thinking behind this is that resources etc are spread out so it is less of a hassle getting roads closed etc.

This is still in the very early planning part, and is only at the ideas stage as yet, but he is confident that with the support we have managed to rally that this could be just the impetus needed.

We will be sending him information that we have gathered so far to further support the idea and will be in contact frequently, especially over the coming days.

So well done everyone, watch this space (and the blog) for further updates.
  • Options
    worth posting twice!!
  • Options
    Blimey - well done Birdy !
  • Options
    oops a bit excited methinks!

Soz!

Thanks Hipps and Cougie

Anyway have put it on the blog also here is the link.

Blog

and for good measure the petition as well!

Sign the petition now

• Options
    Have been texting everyone I know to get them to sign :-D

• Options
    That is truly fantastic news Birdy. You are a complete star!
  • Options
    Thanks Redhead, maybe you could knit me a jumper with the MM08 logo on, if this all comes off!

I will send you the money for the wool!

:)
  • Options
    hey

T shirts--------