Options

Liverpool Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Just an update to let you know I have heard back from the Culture Company and they have asked me to let you know the following:

‘Regarding the marathon we are still giving the matter consideration and will contact you in the very near future.

In response to any questions you receive I am happy for you to say you have made representations to the Culture Company who are giving the matter very serious consideration.

We will be in touch.’

Sign the petition now

• Options
    Sounds an excellent way of celebrating, im up for this challenge
  • Options
    I contacted Helsby RC a couple of weeks ago to ask them to include mention of the campaign in the results booklet, but didn’t get any response either way.

Has anyone had their results and if so was there anything in there?

Thanks

Sign the petition now

• Options
    Ydrib

Been away for a few months whats the update with this. Is it still under consideration???
  • Options
    Hi Slowfoot

Contacted the Culture Company last week and this was the response received on 9th March:

‘I will be speaking to our Operations Director next week. I will respond with a full update midweek’

So basically it’s a case of watch this space! As soon as I have an update I will post it on here.

Cheers
  • Options

Re: an update from the Culture Company, we heard from them yesterday. They wanted to let us know that the idea of the Marathon is still very much alive and well at present.

They are currently looking at all the options available, feasibility of routes etc so it is still on the agenda and they are keeping us very much in the loop.

So as soon as I have anything further I will post it here.

Cheers

• Options
    oooooooh
    hello Birdy

this is good news
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Excellent news Birdy!
  • Options
    Birdy thanks for the update

Todays half was not a great advertisement for next years full the lack of water was a serious problem and the transport to the start was poor. As usual saved by the crowds. Liverpool can put on a big event but the culture company need get some sponsors on board to take on the organisation and you never know we may even get a tshirt for finishing!!
  • Options
    Slowfoot, I agree with everything you say. I am at a loss really, I had hoped that they may use the event today to show what they are capable of (you could say they did just that actually!) I stuck my neck out and stated on this thread that I would back RL to do the Marathon, if they showed they were up to the job, but clearly on today’s performance they are not.

Obviously, there is no guarantee that they would be in the frame to run it anyway, but they certainly haven’t done their case any favours today. I will be contacting the Culture Company this week for an update and will of course keep everyone informed here.

• Options
    slowfoot when you say transport to the start was poor I'm not sure what you mean if everyone turned up after 8.30 to catch last bus then I suppose it would be aproblem. I was up at 6 left my home in Preston at 7 got on a bus at 8 and was at the start at 8.15 so I had to hang around for a while better than being late. When I finished race I queued for bus got on in around 5 mins got to dock and went home no queues no holdups I thought the car park and buses were the most reliable aspect of the day. I appreciate that not everyones experience was like mine and I had a gripe on another thread about the lack of water and I wasn't too happy about the late start because once you stripped off it was a bit cold.Otherwise it was okay but no where near as well run as the other occasions I have run the half. Funnily enough I have done the Womens 10k many times and that as always been a good experience.
  • Options
    NG
    Got to say the problems with the buses seemed to be on the way there they were fine on the way back however, i understand the problem was with the car park with some people waiting an hour before they could leave
    My concern would be if a marathon goes ahead and Runliverpool are the sole organisers I think after yesterday a marathon in 2008 needs a company with a proven record in running marathons as in my opinion RunLiverpool, are not up to the task alone
  • Options
    I agree entirely with evrything you said SF
  • Options
    I think there are two approaches which could be taken to convince the city that Livepool deserves a marathon.

One is to highlight how many people took part in the half-marathon on Sunday, how many people travelled from other parts of the country into Liverpool and concentrate, from the events rating system, on the numbers of people who have commented on their appreciation of the support of the people of Liverpool on the course. It could also be noted that 80% of people have said they would like to do the half again.

Alternatively, you could highlight that there are many complaints whenever there is a race in Liverpool and that the city has a growing reputation for substandard poor events.

If you were Liverpool City Council, or Liverpool Cultural Company, would you really want their to be a marathon in the city if it was likely to reflect badly on it? Would you want to draw people into Liverpool and give them a bad experience of the city?

Personally I think there are plenty of sensible ways to express the criticisms of how Run Liverpool organised Sunday's event. But bringing them into a debate on the possibility of a Marathon is the worst place they could be. All that is going to achieve is councillors and culture vultures believing its not worth the risk of staging a marathon in 2008.

Surely we need to be trying to convince people that a marathon would be a good thing, not pointing out what could go wrong.
  • Options
    WD
    I think the problem is that RunLiverpool are the only company at present who could assist with staging a marathon. FLM have pulled out of the city and there does not appear to be anyone else knocking on the door to help.
    I accept that 80% of people may want to do the half again but having read a lot of the reviews 80% also think that the organsation was poor. A fact that cannot be ignored.
    The comments in the Daily Post don't reflect RunLiverpool in the best of lights to admit to estimating how much water at a water station is qusetionable especially as there were only 2 official water stations.
    I would fully support a marathon in 2008 and if it gets the go ahead I think that RunLiverpool will no doubt be part of the organising structure but to simply say they did a great job and ignore the issues of poor water provision is dangerous. I don't think that alone they are up to the task of staging a marathon.
  • Options
    WD- let me get this right….you are suggesting that we ‘ignore’ the fact that yet again RL made a monumental mess of a race, and that we should support the idea of them organising a full marathon when it is clear to everyone with half a brain that they are not competent to do so………so you want them to then make a monumental mess of a race that we and others on this forum and the wider racing community have worked hard to try and get staged, and then when they do (as it is inevitable) make a mess of it they can blame everyone else except themselves as they have done on every other occasion so far.

Yea, right, good idea mate…not!
  • Options
    The point that I'm making is do we want a marathon in Liverpool. If we do we need to demonstrate that it could benefit the city if it went well. We need to point out that there is a demand for it and that people will come to the city, which really is the main thing which will convince the council and cultural company to run it.

Criticising the poor quality of races on Merseyside and suggesting there is a poor reputation for such events is going to convince everyone that the race should not be staged.

Given that the petition wasn't supposed to be about Run Liverpool but asking the council to tender I don't see why the focus on the Marathon is becoming a criticism of Run Liverpool. Surely the best approach would be to show the public want an event and then worry about who runs it afterwards.

There is no reason to suspect that FLM wouldn't be interested in organising the event. Alan Rothwell has stated on another thread that missing out the Liver Buildings was one of the reasons why they pulled out this year. Would they be back for a marathon designed to showcase the city?

Would Nova International be interested in staging the event? I think they've had a presence in the city before with the triathlon.

And could the organising committee of London 2012 be encouraged to organise the event, as a pilot for their coordination of big events needed in the Olympics.

Until we get to the tendering stage we have no idea who is going to be asked to organise the event. That is the time to question if Run Liverpool are up to the job. Questioning it now is just highlighting that Liverpool's reputation is weak and giving the critics of a marathon plenty of cannon fodder.

What we should be saying is "a marathon will benefit the city massively, the half marathon showed how many people will come to the city, and from how far, whilst the Penny Lane 10K shows the reputation that some races in the city has". That will get the councillors listening.

Saying 'Run Liverpool messed up the half marathon' in those discussions will scare them off - we should be keeping those comments to discussions on the half marathon, and Run Liverpool in general, not a potential marathon which doesn't have any organiser at present.
  • Options
    WD – I am not, and have never had a go at ‘the quality of races on Merseyside’ I have been running in this city since the 80’s the Pearl Assurance Half Marathon in 1985 being one of the first, and since then had never had a bad race. That was until RL came on the scene a couple of years ago.

Some of the best races I have done have been organised by clubs, the Waterloo 15K is an excellent race, with multiple events on the same day all brilliantly organised. The PLS 10K, another fantastic race, well organised, goes without a hitch. Croxteth Park 10K organised by LPS, the Fire-fighters races, there are loads too many to mention, all brilliantly done and are a credit to the city.

As for using this thread to have a go at RL, I apologise to anyone on this thread if that appears to be the case, but if you read the messages back I think you will find this is not the case.

I was merely agreeing with Slowfoot and also Nurse Gladys was doing likewise. This thread is not the place to have a go at RL, if anyone wants to do that then the half marathon thread has plenty of opportunity to do so.

However, I feel it is perfectly acceptable for people to comment on the suitability of race organisers who may or may not be in the frame should the marathon go ahead, and that is what the comments here are.

I would also like to take this opportunity to state that in the light of the events at the half marathon, I personally could not support or condone RL having any organisational responsibility for any future marathon event should it occur.

Everyone who has contributed to the campaign has done brilliantly well, and I don’t profess to speak for everyone involved, but this is my personal opinion and I stand by that.

• Options
    I think RL have good intentions, and im grateful that they are 'attempting' to put on events in the city, but they keep on failing to produce. To be fair to Birdy he did back them initially, but they have had too many chances and haven't learned for from their mistakes. Things like water really are the basics, and if they are running low on budget... i doubt any of the runners who went without water would have turned down water in a plastic cup. They shouldnt have had the water on view until the runners went past, no runners are going to be at the 9 mile point for 45 minutes from the start anyway...and if they didnt have enough water, plastic cups arent expensive 100 for £1.50 in Tescos!

I also think lack of prize money is a very big issue, and from reading from another running forum... the winner of last years race andi jones from salford (gb international) said he would never run it again after receiving nothing. Whereas other half marathons the ASICS wilmslow half marathon, ASICS reading half marathon (notice asics are sponsoring both!) offer substantial prize money, this gets quick times and then advertising for sponsors of the race...Speculate to accumulate! I dont know them personally so it might not have fitted in with their race/training plans, but a few Liverpool Harriers could have won that race at the weekend but chose not to run, possibly due to a similar problem with the winner of the Liverpool 10K 06 not being paid.

Something else bothers me about RL...just had a look at the entry form for the tunnel 10k http://www.runliverpool.org.uk/Images/Tunnel%2010K%20Race%20Entry_tcm56-86160.pdf what other events put a pricing policy on the entry form?! something is'nt right there, i get the impression were not being told something...

I think the council needs to come on board (surely in their interests for 2008) aswell as a big sponsor such as Asics or Nike. I notice on RW events its advertised at the moment (as was the current half a few months ago, im presuming the clash with wilmslow stopped this) as the Asics Liverpool 10k in October, hopefully well be able to keep them on board for the Marathon.
  • Options
    Just read over my post... i dont mean to discredit the winner of the race in any way(he ran a quick time anyway, and with others alongside he may have gone quicker still) as watching from the sidelines he ran a brilliant race with some great front running(way beyond my level!:-))...I just mean IMO for future events to be successfull in attracting sponsorship, we need to attract more athletes of this level
  • Options
    ST
    I agree with what you say there is a need for Runliverpool to get more professional in its approach to staging races.
    I will never win a race but agree that decent prize money should be on offer. Didn,t realise last years winner did not get paid or a prize thats a disgrace and Runliverpool should explain why.
    I've made the decision not to run in anymore RunLiverpool events this year I think most of the clubs in Liverpool will put on better events.
    I had hoped 2007 would see an improvment in the performance of RunLiverpool sadly after one race I've made my decision and my money will go else.
    Also I will apply for Wimslow in 2008 and only if a proven partner brought in would I consider running a marathon organised by RunLiverpool
  • Options
    Wilmslow next year it is then :)
  • Options
    Any update on this ????????
  • Options
    Hi Slowfoot

Unfortunately we have been trying in vain to get a response from the Culture Company, so I have no news either way at present. As soon as I do, we will post something here.

Have emailed again today and will keep you informed if a response is forthcoming.

• Options
    Response received from Culture Company - May 2nd

'Thank you for your email.

As you are aware we are investigating the feasibility of your proposal.

I will follow up and contact you soon.’

Will keep you informed.
  • Options
    Sorry to report today that we have had an email from the Culture Company to say that a marathon will not be included in the culture programme for 2008.

The excuse is mainly ‘other commitments’, while we do understand there are a lot of commitments, we feel a great opportunity has been missed by this council in not staging what could have been the jewel in the crown of the sporting programme of 2008

An opportunity, by the way that Newcastle would not have dreamed of missing out on had they been successful in the bid. Clearly Newcastle has a greater insight into what culture means to ordinary citizens.

It is such a pity that the Culture Company has decided upon an approach which is more interested in ‘Avant-Garde Art’ and focused on pleasing the advertisers and money men involved, rather than providing activities which are significant and pertinent to the people of the city

So what are we left with to show the world of this city’s road race sporting heritage…… The Women’s 10K in Sefton Park…..the Liverpool 10K in Sefton Park….and the much criticised (to put it mildly) Half Marathon in Sefton Park (incorporating the backstreets of Liverpool).

I can see the prospective visitors to the city clamouring to book into the city as we speak…NOT!

We would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you, those that signed the petition and supported the campaign, sent messages of support to the campaigners. Unlike the so called ‘flagship’ race organiser in the city who refused either sign the petition or to back the campaign and in fact has been dismissive of the campaign in general.

Whilst this campaign may not have produced anything ‘miraculous’, we refuse to be negative as to the outcome…..what it has done has brought the issues to the attention of the press, the media and the wider public…..not only nationally but internationally.

The petition will remain as a reminder to any future council leaders who have the drive and foresight to see the potential of this idea, and see that there is a genuine wish and desire locally, nationally and internationally for this event to happen in Liverpool.

We fervently believe that this event will happen at sometime in the future and if it does, it will be because of this campaign and all of your efforts which have revitalised the idea and possibly awoken a sleeping giant, without this campaign the idea of a marathon would have stagnated and died if left to those who don’t have the genuine desire or will to see quality events staged in the city.

Thanks again from everyone involved with MM08

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    No real suprise there though I feel Ydrib. I think it's a great shame.

I was speaking to someone a couple of weeks ago who fears that the whole Culture year is going to be a shambles.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised either.
    Unless there is an organisation committee and they are prepared to put in the work to organise it and go prepared with all the plans then the answer would be 'No'.

Incidentally, Cork (as a previous city of Culture etc) are staging a marathon this year and have pledged to continue it for the next 5 years.
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    F*k them, let's have a bandit race anyway. OK, maybe the 100 Mara club might not join in if it's not official but I would hope that between them all the various clubs in the city could gather enough volunteers to help out.

Bit like FF though - no surprise at that council.
  • Options
    Only just seen this thread today. What a great idea. Liverpool should most definitely have a full marathon. I'd certainly be up for it in 2008. Only issue may be that the suggested August date will hit holiday time for people with children at school or uni, or those who work in education. That apart, fantastic. Very best of luck with organising it.