Options

Liverpool Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Well done Birdy!
  • Options
    Ydrib, I was stuck in traffic in the city centre today and the car in front of me had a Mersey Marathon 08 sticker in the back window, was that you? If so, where did you get it? I would display one if I knew where to get one.

Well done on the Echo letter by the way.
  • Options
    Cougie, you might want to keep an eye on the Wirral Globe as I have sent a letter to them for publication too.

Friddy3, that may have been me, I knocked a couple of logo’s up on the computer and laminated them, and friends and family are displaying them. If you want one let me know I would be happy to send one to you and anyone else for that matter!

Things are progressing well, the Echo is being very supportive, we have had an email from the editor offering appropriate publicity for any future developments. And also if you Google Mersey Marathon 2008, we get the top three hits, so information is getting out there also.

Keep it up everyone

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit confused by this petition...

Is the petition to obtain permission/support from Liverpool Council to have the marathon

or

asking Liverpool Council to organise a marathon
  • Options
    Shades - "to obtain permission/support from Liverpool Council to have the marathon"...as 'run liverpool' would and appear willing to organise it, but they need the councils support to do so...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that sprinting toffee (great name).

Who are 'Run Liverpool'?
    Did the Council turn down the plans then?
  • Options
    cheers shades! http://www.runliverpool.org.uk/ Basically the organisation that organise the main events in the city. Im not aware the council has turned them down. I presume they are uncertain whether it will fit in with capital of culture plans, or that problems such as road closures would outweigh the positives a marathon would bring...
  • Options
    I think run liverpool want some heavy backing in order to put this on, so support to promote and run it I think. Its not going to be cheap to get it sorted, and entries arent gonna be 4.2 times higher than the Ladies 10k I think.
  • Options
    Shades – Toffee is right in that, this is a campaign “to petition Liverpool City Council and the Culture Company to add a Marathon Event to the sporting programme to celebrate the Capital of Culture year in 2008”

The idea at this stage is that if they do agree, then there is a contractual process they need to go through to invite organisations to tender for the job, so there is no knowing at this point who would be successful in that tender process (in the event this progresses) and this takes time which is why we are asking now.

They haven’t ‘turned down’ any plans as yet, as to the best of my knowledge no-one has actually asked the question, hence the rationale for this petition.

As for who Run Liverpool are, they are an organisation that organise several races on behalf of Liverpool City Council, this has been the case for several years, after the council outsourced race organising.

Toffee – for info re: RL, we have invited them to be part of the campaign and they have declined to do so, thus far. Therefore I am unsure where you get your assertion that they are ‘ready and willing’ to run the event. If you have information to the contrary then can you share it here with the rest of the forumites who are part of this campaign?

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that toffee and Ydrib - all clear to me now.
  • Options
    I didnt say they were ready, i just stated they 'appear' willing, due to alan rothwells comments at the start of the thread...no probs shades...you can return the favour by helping me train for the liverpool marathon if it takes place!
  • Options
    Birdy
    Just come across this thread and once finished with this will go sign the petition. Firstly well done on starting it off and maybe your committment will rub off on some of your more vocal opposition As many know not a great fan of RL for many of the same reasons as yourself and if they are not willing to support this campaign then the job should be out sourced to some else maybe FLM company may come back on board.
    But I would rather see RL get behind this put the link on their website and all those that apply for the races in 2007 will be able to show their support. Also if RL support this they may win back some of the runners who have stoppped taking part in RL events because of their poor record. Anyway off to sign and best of luck
  • Options
    Have run liverpool actually refused to put the petition on their website?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    toffee - no probs, I'll help you with the training.
  • Options
    Thanks for your support Slowfoot, I agree with all of your points, even the one about RL organising it, as they would be in the best position to do this, given their knowledge of the city.

However I think even they would agree, this would be a big task and I would suggest that if they do go for it, and were to be the race directors, then they would need help and support, ideally from local running clubs and hopefully from the supporters of this campaign.

Toffee, anyone interested in supporting this campaign can put the link on their website, and many have chosen to do so, but last time I looked at the RL website, there was no mention of this campaign nor a link to the petition.

I have contacted them and asked them to draw a line under any past differences for the sake of the campaign, it may be that they have a problem with me, but at the end of the day this isn’t my campaign, it is our campaign, your campaign

So if anyone wants to contact them again on behalf of the MM08 cause, please feel free to do so. As I say this is a collective campaign and anyone can rally support and I actively encourage you all to do so, I believe this campaign is beginning to peak and now would be an ideal opportunity for RL (or any other interested organisation) to come on board and take the lead.

Anyone got their tickets for the meeting next week yet?

• Options
    Hi all - nice to see things developing - I haven't had much time to catch up.

Now then.... (Anorak on) - I got lots of people to sign the petition - I really would send an email to anyone you know and encourage them to pass the email on. We should be looking for thousands of signatures if we can get them. If each one of us sends an email to 10 people and if 2 of them pass the email on to another 10 and sign then after 14 cycles there would be 32,768 signatures. I sent it to my family, old friends, (and old school and work contacts from friends reunited) and forumites. Its worth another go?

I can partially understand RL wishing to stand back from this initiative to see what happens. (Any comments Alan?) Perhpas it will have more inpact and clout with the council if RL aren't involved with this petition?

• Options
    Mr H, good idea the more people that know the better.

Good news day today, got a great spread in the free press paper, the Merseymart.

They published our letter and accompanied it with a photo (we think from last years 10K- anyone recognise the runners in the photo?) if you have seen it you will know that it was a good prominent piece. The copy we have is the one circulated in the north end of the city, we are presuming it was in the one circulated in the south end also, if anyone has seen it can you let us know?

I would have linked it, but they don’t have an online site, I can’t put it on the blog either, so those of you that haven’t seen it, two options, either email me and I will send it to you or for Happy to put it on his webpage? Either or let me know.

Got my ticket today for the meeting next week, anyone else going?

Sign the petition now

• Options
    Petition signed, good work Birdy
  • Options
    Just to let you know I have managed to post the clipping on the blog, its not that clear but will do until someone can post it on the web somewhere.

Made my day anyway!

Blog

• Options
    superb work on the site birdy...
  • Options
    Thanks for your support We3

Cheers Toffee, do you get the mart round your way?

• Options
    yes i get the west derby & tuebrook one aswell, i thought you lived over in the wirral? it hasnt come this week yet though...just posted a link on the paula radcliffe message board, ive emailed the guy who runs fetcheveryone aswell to see if he can sort something out on the homepage...
  • Options
    A permanent web site findable from Google with links to the blog and the petition might be useful? How about www.merseymarathon08.org.uk ?
    I can use it to bolster everyones efforts. Worth £3.98 for two years I think?
  • Options
    Mr H
    I can't understand the reluctance of RL to offer support as Alan Rothwell was one of the first contributers to this thread and the idea seems to have come from a discussion with RL staff. All they need do is mention the petition on their site nothing more.
    When Birdy qusetioned the effectiveness of RL many people threw insults back at him and told him to try and organise something which he appears to be doing. Petition now has over 500 signatures.
    I would like to see some level of committment from RL as they need to be involved as without it I think this may well prove to be a dead duck.
    Birdy well done on the article and the blog hopefully something will come from the meeting next week but knowing the amount of committments LCC already have for 2008. I fear there answer will be to refer it back to RL who were outsourced to arrange this type of event.
    Also the link with the Firefighters games may prove problematic as this is the equivalent of the Olympics for the fire service and they may not be to happy at the thought of one of their events being used for mass particiapation.
  • Options
    I thought that there had to be a link to the FF Games ? I cant see that they'll be able to organise a marathon without outside help - and I think this is it ?
  • Options
    great idea mr h! you or birdy will have to let me know how to set up websites sometime, i think id struggle on myspace!

slowfoot - i agree with you mate im confused why there isnt a link on runliverpool's website to the petition. After all surely it would be in their interests for them to show their support for the campaign. But one problem i have with runliverpool is that their website is awful, other than the advertisement for the half marathon next year everything else is out of date. Im not sure how many people would actually go on the website as it wouldnt provide much info. Ive had to find through a fair few running sites and club pages the dates for local events up to next October, so can give them the info for that aswell if they put the petition on!

regarding the firefighters, i think maybe if they were given a 20-30 minute start on the mass event to ensure the winner of that event comes home first. As is done with women elite competitors at major events currently...
  • Options
    Toffee, thanks for your efforts, keep us informed on progress on those links etc, as for the Wirral....nah....West Derby, mate

Mr H. – great idea, go for it! Certainly be easier to have a central info point and easier to put photos on etc. So, if it’s ok with everyone else, it’s fine with me.

Slowfoot – I do agree with everything you say and thanks for the vote of confidence. I am realistic enough to know this may not come off, but at the moment all we can do is keep on doing what we can, and wait and see in terms of commitment from RL and/or the council. I am not 100% convinced that RL do need to be involved, it may be that another organisation may come in and do it. But as you say, it would be nice to see some level of commitment or support from them, not for me, but for the good of the campaign and respect for the work and effort everyone is putting in, which ironically, may result in a positive outcome for them in the long run (pardon the pun!)

As strange as this may sound, especially coming from me (!) but for the good of the campaign I don’t want to get too anti-RL at this point, the door is still open for them at the moment.

• Options
    Right, lets go to bed now eh? Not together obviously!

See ya

• Options
    you are right cougie, i cant see incorporating the ff games into the event being a problem, ive just looked it up 2004 ff marathon was won in 2.37...i thought it would have been quicker if im honest...id say give them a 30 minute start just to make sure, i cant see any kenyans coming!
  • Options
    im from west derby aswell live in the village, you should get down to lrc birdy!