Options

Baxters Loch Ness Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi folks, PB for most of us I think. Did just under 4 hours and I mean just. Am so chuffed! I shouted at myself like a loon to cross the line in time and the crowd support in the stadium was phenomenal. Really pleased to meet so many of you guys. Now, where is my whisky. image Am taking a break in the highlands for a few days now. Congratulations to everyone for superb runs. image
  • Options
    Molly, you are daft as a brush. image LoL at you and canniggia crossing the 3000 barrier.
  • Options
    Hi folks, PB for most of us I think. Did just under 4 hours and I mean just. Am so chuffed! I shouted at myself like a loon to cross the line in time and the crowd support in the stadium was phenomenal. Really pleased to meet so many of you guys. Now, where is my whisky. image Am taking a break in the highlands for a few days now. Congratulations to everyone for superb runs. image
  • Options
    Brill Soph well done. great news. enjoy your break. Molly XXimage
  • Options

Molly you maddie, and cheers canniggia!!

Only did the 10k ,first one,so it had to be a Pb -of just over an hour gutted!!but what a beautiful day.

Well done SSS. the support was fab wasnt it??

I got to see the winner.He only just beet my half time!!!!...how does anyone sprint for 26+ miles???????

• Options
    Ooh double post earlier, because I'm on my mobile! image The support was great Alibaliboo. You did great for your first 10k, good starting point. My support saw the marathon winner come in and said he was breathing like he was out for a stroll! image
  • Options

I know...B****d!!! No good for him... I wish I was a twentieth as good!!

Think Molly has collapsed with terminal finger cramp????

• Options

hi everyone........... well done Soph on your great time. Go girl, great meeting you on Sat aswell and good that you had Amber for company some of the race image She was too blooming quiet when I was with her I knew she needed to get running to releaes the madness ha ha....

Well done Ali on your 1st 10K, next time you'll get under the hour, you'll have the determination to beat todays time. Its runners instinct and sheer pride LOL

Well I got my PB of 4.36.39 on my watch image so 34 mins off my previous albatross ha ha so am well chuffed. An amazing race, weather was perfect, scenery AWESOME and company fantastic, I was cooking on gas till about 21 miles and then my legs just got more and more tired. Thankfully I had 2 great ladies and different stages of my last 5 miles to keep me going which was a godsend.... image Running up in the mountains overlooking Loch Ness was very tranquil and calm (the weather today obviously helped instead of last years lashing cold rain!!!) I felt very chilled out until I felt my legs protesting image Its taken me forever to write this, I started at the beginning of X Factor and thru my tears I have now eventually finsihed it!!! Yeh I 'm a big sap LOL

Well done everyone else who was racing this weekend Loch Ness or anywhere else image

• Options

Bungee...you so rock...well done.....talking and running I can only manage running and breathing at the mo!!!...you are right about pride tho one of my male work collegues does one hour and 2 mins for 10k just had to beat him even if I died afterwards!!

Rock on Aviemore 1/2 next weekend!!!

Cant believe I just said that ..must be the anti-oxidants flowing through my systemimage

Off to watch the end of fit men in tight rugby shirts on TV...and I'm English!!!

• Options

well done bungee brill. weather and scenery must have been great. vry well done to youimage

aliballiboo enjoy aviemore - I'd had it in mind but by the time i got organised the race was full. Scenery there shuld be great too.image

• Options

Well done everybody that got round.  I'm really pleased you got fab weather and heaps of PBs.  I was thinking of you all as I sat bored out my brain on an exercise bike trying to get my legs going again without doing any more damage to my right foot.

C U all in Edinburgh again next year image

• Options
    My first marathon, wanted to get between 3'30 and 4hrs, so was happy with 3'41. Great day , with fantastic weather. Good support all the way, the girls handing out wine gums in Dores were much appreciated. Looking forwards to the Lochaber Marathon next April, a flat, fast course, should be able to get under 3'30' if I put a bit of training in and don't sprain my ankle again image
  • Options
    remohremoh ✭✭✭
    well done everyone. every thing was going fine until the hill between 17 and 18 and that was it  i had to resort to the walk/jog the rest of the way but the good news i was 7seconds quicker than edinburgh, yipeeeeeeeeee. 3.31.28image
  • Options

Got a text with my time and finishing position from results service, not had that before. 

Well done to all those who finished the marathon, will be there next year.

• Options

Hi everyone!!!image

Had  FABULOUS  weekend.....found the marathon very tough but i dont think i had mentally prepared myself for so many hills !image.....Bungee met me at reception and her hubby drove us to the bus ..i was so nervous and as usual not  at all talkative before a race! but bungee had a great caming effect as she was calm and raring to go and was great company !.. we met shades and nessy? then toilets again and then bossy commintator sent us to our places where i saw sanatababy bubbeling over with excitement!(must have been the champagne).sifted my way through to the just under 4 hour marker and met soph!..  so was realy great to run with her for the first...6 or 7 miles or so?..... and chat a little....anyway unfortunatly we lost eachother..i felt realitivly good as i passed the half way in faster than i ran the glasgow half marathon !?!..the hills at Dores sapped me totally and just when i thought i had passed the last hill ..another.. which hurt my hips so bad it  made me cry!image...felt very sick as we entered inverness so a wee casual vomit followed by a bit of confususion with the km markers and what seemed like the longest mile in the world!...but delighted to get to the finish in 3.53.39!...a pb!..walked like john wayne into the finish and watched soph yell her way over the line soon after followed by santababy!...felt pretty good after a shower and decided to come home rather than sleep on the lumpy saggy bed again!image..had a fabby slep and just a little stiff in the hips today and a cracker of a bruised left ankle ....i kept kicking it!!image

well done everyone!!! ... lovely to have met so many of you lovey people at last and

looks like we did lots of pb's  !image

fantastic marathon,breathtaking scenery , fantastic organisers, goody bag  and a fabby  tee shirt i loved so much wore it home!!.. brilliant !cant fault it!

have a lovely few days away soph

xx

• Options

Thanx Molly for your congrats i meant to say last night i had a good laugh at your fox, dog ramblings etc on Sun morning before we set off for the mara image

remoh the same thing happened to me at that hill, I had run till then which was my aim so I fast walked up the first half then got fresh legs and ran up the rest of it but by mile 21 i started to struggle and it was it was a bit of walk but thankfully about 90% slow run till the finish.

Well done Mudman on a fab 1st mara time image I had thought it might be a bit remote for running mindwise after we drove the route on the Saturday but not a bit, it was great chatting to different people along the way. I ran for a good few miles in the middle of the race by myself but inbetween when I was fresh and after that when I needed encouragement I had company to keep me going. I normally just listen to my music during a race but in a marathon I think the fact you are running at a slower pace and cos of the distance it really passes the time to chat to people.

Ali enjoy your half at the weekend, your 1st one? If so take it easy and enjoy, I loved my first half, was on a total high at the finish.

Happycat I got a text last night aswell which was a nice surprise, I was seemingly 39th position in my age category so I can aim to beat that next year ha ha... Molly you would be well up in the top 10 probably if you had run that yesterday you whippet you image

Canniggia I can imagine how bored you were on that bike image hope the foot heals up soon and you get back out on the road again.

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Fantastic time Amber - that was brilliant! And a brilliant improvement Bungee. Nice to meet you both on the bus - these green ribbons are handy.

Roobarb and I ran the whole way together, cajoling each other on and trying to keep the walk breaks as short as possible. Despite lack of training/injuries/illnesses, we snuck in at 5:29, which we were both chuffed with. Thanks to Happycat for pacing that last mile and a half!

Shades and Santababy also had stormers, but I'll let them tell you......

Fab race again - more Baxters goodies in the bag at the end - they must know Seville marmalade is my favourite. image

• Options

Amber I missed your post there, god was it good to get into a comfy bed last night eh!!!! I totally agree with the last mile bit, i was so tired and the KM markers confused me too!!! I was talking to hubby on phone for about the last mile and I was thinking OMG am i not at the finish yet!!!! I was ready to collapse but when I when I saw my sister and my mate just before the end it egged me on then hubby and b in law and the a load of Fetchies cheered me on and I discovered extra energy for a sprint finish... as you do LOL Sounds like you had a tough time after your hips went, that must have been a toughie running thru that!!! image love the way you talk about a casual vomit, that made me laugh... It was fab to meet you at last and Soph and everyone from Fetch and Shades and Nessie on the bus, well spotted Shades, green ribbon alert lol.

I am pretty stiff this morning but I suppose a 3 hour car journey after the race wouldn't help!!! My toes are VERY tender but as usual no blisters image Just had a big bowl of pineapple and papaya to hopefully help the old legs.

• Options
    Finished my first marathon-yay!!
    Nessie your B&B list did not just help me get to the start line but it also helped a classmate of mine too (we shared the room). To have been able to have done this one meant a lot to me, as I completed my first 26.2miles at the age of 26years and 2 months.

my friend finished (this was his second) in 4hours and I finished in 4:57:03 (I shamelessly walked up the HILLS at Dores). right now I am paralysed on my bed: I am really sore but I am searching more marathons, I didnt hit the wall (maybe because I walked for 20% of the race?!). I cried at the end and the kind lady volunteer who was giving out bananas shoved two bananas in my hand. the volunteer marshalls are amazing!!!

I will definately marshall for a race one day......only if I am terribly injured! the action of running in the race is such a addictive experience, but it wont be one without the incredible support of these wonderful people. I would like to continue running, as a (now formerly non sporty person) I am so happy to find a sport that everyone is a winner.
    I think I will do this again(BLNM) next year if you all are, and I will attempt to run up Dores then and find ACCOMODATION on time.

funny story, forgot what mile it was, but thought I saw the loch ness monster! it must have been latter miles for sure and down to delirium, and I tripped on myself in shock and squealed 'holy smokes' thinking it might have come up to check what all the kerfuffle was about.......but it was a line of smooth grey rocks in a line.
  • Options

What a great raceimage.  I managed 3:53:33 chip time (74 sec. faster than Edinburgh) so a PB.  Well done to the rest of you who ran the race and especially those with PBs.

Remoh I thought in the final stages I was cutting it fine to beat my Edinburgh time, but 7 sec!

Amber I think you may have passed me just as I turned onto the main road before entering the stadium.  What time did you get as I remember we had almost identical times in Edinburgh?  I would have said hi but I was a bit dazzed for a few minutes after the finish and I lost sight of you (if it was you!)

• Options

Amber my last post took a while to write as I'm busy at work and hence I missed your post, clearly it was you. I was told to watch out for the hills from about 18.5-20 and like you I thought after that well that's the hills behind me. No one said anything about another at about 21 which gave me a physiological kicking! The last 5 were really tough, being able to hear the finish with 3 or 4 to go did not help! I've still to download my garmin and analyse how I did at different points but I passed half-way in what felt at the time like a comfortable 1:50 and was beginning to think that sub 3:45 may be possible but happy with the PB.

• Options

Ann WELL DONE great to hear you had an amazing day and a sub5 for a 1st marathon is very respectable image time. It was a fantastic course and the marshalls are always great. I marshalled for The Edinburgh Moonwalk this year and I loved it so much I'm doing it again next year. If I was injured I would definately marshall for a race, at least you still get to be there and its a different but still very rewarding feeling being on the other side.

DCB WELL DONE on your PB i wasn't ready for that 21 mile hill either, I walked up it as fast as my legs could manage!! Like you I was thinking more than half way thru when I was feeling strong I could maybe get a sub 4.30 but the last 5 miles saw to that LOL

Not doing much today, a bit of a tidy up to keep the muscles moving but mostly rest image

• Options
    I'm glad I'd done my recce run a few weeks ago. I knew the Dores hill would be OK, but that shorter sharper second one would hurt. I'm wondering about an overseas race now, to reward Mrs Mudman for being #1 support team whilst selfishly giving me a chance to race again. win:win image
  • Options

DCB-once again we finish within seconds of eachother!!!.image..i was also thinking a 3.45 might be in sight i crossed half way at 1.47....like you the mile 21 got me ..was it you that i nearly tripped up dcb?....there were three people (not runners)walking along pavement and as i stepped down the kerb i ran into  someone and could only mutter an exhausted sorry!-well done on your time!

Ann-well done!image-that you hooked now?

• Options

Amber no that wasn't me you passed be on my left just before we turned onto the road/pavement.  I remember the 3 people (a runner and two helpers) they were just what I did not want in front of me three in a row on the pavement at that time, and it was all I could do not to say so in a less than polite way!  You'll not remember me but I was wearing a red shirt and grey shorts.  Next time we are in a race together we really should try and meet. 

• Options
    Wow, some really fabulous times from everyone! Congrats on all the PB's. Was great to meet you too bungee. Really enjoyed running with Amber at the start and Santababy from about mile 13. SB, you really helped me in those middle miles. Molly would have burnt a track in the tarmac on that course! image
  • Options
    dcb- yes  definitly, i couldnt believe it when i saw those folks blocking my way and  they didnt move over  for any of us other weary runners-normally wouldnt be a prob having to step down off the kerb but my legs really just didnt need that at that point - i felt like swearingimage...Didnt have the Energy and staggered into some poor runner!
  • Options
    Nessie-sorry missed your earlier post!-well done and was lovely to meet you too!-Glad i put that green ribbon on the back of my cap!image
  • Options

Hi folks

Just back from Aviemore - great weekend and I'll read all these pages later if I can get back up and down the stairs.  You lot a bunch of fibbers with the 18 mile not too bad hill - maintained my ten minute a mile till then!! Quick glance and you lot fab with your times - thought i got 4.45 but think it ways 4.51 - guess who forgot her watch and green ribbon - I kept waving my number about in case someone noticed but meet couple of folk from my village which was nice.