Options

Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear your bad news Mark, hope you get sorted out and back running soon.

Dont know if you can defer, havent seen anything on the wed site. But if you cancel before the 1st of September you can get 50% of your money back I think, after the 1st you get nothing back. Get in touch with them by Friday and at least you'll get something back.

Good luck with the recovery.
  • Options
    Bad news there Mark.

Longest I've managed so far is 18 miles. Wanted to do 20 last saturday but it was so hot I gave up at 16.5. Also because my 18 was on the Sunday at the beginning of last week it meant that I had done 52 miles in 7 days.
    Will be having a quiet 2 weeks now as want to do well in Brisol HM on the 9th September then back into full marathon training
  • Options
    why dont you wait until nearer the time and perhaps drop down to the half marathon. Failing that try e-mailing them I have e-mailed them with a couple of questions and they have responded.  We did 20 miler on Saturday but last couple of miles were really hard I stopped to talk to old running chum havent seen for ages and couldnt get going again
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Dulwich Mark,

Sorry to hear about injury problems.  When icing, don't ice for more than 15-20 minutes at a stretch and leave at least that long in between 'ices', according to my physio.

DaveA,

I wouldn't do anything more than a 10k during a 3 week taper unless it was a race as training run and I was really sure I could hold back.  Less is more!

• Options

cheers for the thoughts everyone, wish it was a case of holding off in hope of doing half marathon but very much doubt this will be the case i've been told 12 weeks before i can run again and even if it was 8 I wouldn't like to have my first run back after such a lay off as a half marathon. 

Cheers for the tip Jools

• Options
    Jools: The 10 miler is over a month before Amsterdam, so I might just attempt a good PB for it.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Oh, should be alright then, DaveA.  Good luck! 

There's been debate on the sub-3 thread about whether a half-marathon 4 weeks out is too much - apparently a lot of people who ran well at Reading this year (apparently 4 weeks out?) bombed at FLM.  I did Bath which was (I think) 5 weeks out and was fine at London (given the heat!).

• Options

I'm doing the Windsor 1/2 on 30th September. Hoping for a good time to get the confidence up for Amsterdam, I think 3 weeks out should be fine for me, but I'd be interested to hear othrs views.

Back to a 20 miler this week after a horrendous week of work and women troubles, which in a funny sort of way might end up being good for the marathon training (every cloud!!). I think the break may have done me good through as really feel I can push it through September now!

Good luck everyone.

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭

Joolska - I think the heat was the main reason why a lot of people struggled at this year's FLM - I know I did. Most training programme's that I've seen include a Half c. one month before. I did Hastings Half 5 weeks before FLM this year and posted a PB (at Hastings). I'm doing New Forest Half on September 16th which is 5 weeks before Amsterdam.

15 miler last nite in 2image4:29 with negative split. Feeling pretty good but still 7 weeks to go.

• Options
    SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭

Hey sheets, that Dunstable 20 miler is tempting.

Though I am a little put off by the complex directions. Sounds a bit more like orienteerinig than running.

I am quite tempted by the New Forest Half on the same day - just because it's the New Forest, but that may be just a bit too far to drive.

And I have a friend who takes back in the Faversham 10K and has been trying to get me involved this year.

But also on the same day there's a 10K on Hampstead Heath that I did with my two youngest children last year.

So there's four events on the same day......

The 20 miler is calling to me.

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Silk - unfortunately, New Forest Half is full and no entries on the day. Always gets fully booked at least 3 months in advance.
  • Options

Question:

I entered by internet. I've got an email reply & my name is on the list of particpants but do I need to take anything to the expo to pick up my number?

Can't seem to find out.

Ta

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Bob - I think you just turn up with proof of ID, but it might be an idea to print out the e-mail reply and take that with you.
  • Options

In previous years they've sent out an info pack with a map and a confirmation letter to take with you to get your number

• Options
    you will get a letter together with instructions on how to get to "Sports Hall South" where you get your race pack and T-shirt. Cannot remember if the map came with the letter or was in the pack.
  • Options

O well, New Forest will be a future year then.

Still unsure about the Dunstable 20 mile - will there be mile markers? Without mile markers and marshalls and a medal at the end it sounds more like a training run....

Mmmm. 

• Options

Hi Silk Tork

The Dunstable 20 isn't that difficult to follow, there are markings on route and you are given a map and directions at the start. But you will probably find you will end up running with a group of other runners of similar abillity, so probably wont need it ( more for referance)

There are 4 watering stations en route with extra goodies to eat all about 4 mile apart.

There are no medals or mile markers but you do receive a certificate at the finish recording your time. there are marshals scaterer around the course including one or two roving marshals.

If the weather is ok it should be fun.

• Options

Hi all, have just read (skimmed) through all 438 messages!

I've signed up for the Amsterdam marathon - it will be my 3rd marathon (Dublin 2005 in 3:46 and Philadelphia in 2006 in 3:39).

Flying from Belfast at 10.25 on Saturday 20th, staying at Park Plaza Vondel which I believe is quite close to the start/finish.

Training had been going really well until last night when I was attempting 21 miles. I already have a few 19 mile long runs under my belt, so was feeling well prepared.

Got to mile 15 in just over 2 hours, at mile 17 I fell apart - my first experience of the wall! Struggled on to mile 19 at a very slow pace but just didn't have it in me to go any further.

Feeling very disappointed, but going to chalk it up to experience and try the 21 again in a few weeks - I think a recovery week of shorter runs will maybe help.

On the marathon itself, can anybody advise on the chip. I read on the Amsterdam Marathon website that the chip is not included with the price of registration. Do we buy a chip when collecting our packs?

Also, does anybody know if you have to pre-register for a pace group? I joined a Clif Bar pace group in Philadelphia and found it really helpfful.

• Options
    Kevin,

There was an option to rent a chip on the entry form as a lot of runners on contintal europe apparently have their own which they register with the event.

I did pre-reg with the half marathon pace group 2 years ago but didn't last year and joining in was no problem.
    They meet upstairs in Sports Hall South.
  • Options

Kevin,

Welcome to the thread.

It sounds like your LSR was very close to marathon pace (unless you've improved a lot since Philly) - slow it down by at least 30s per mile and it should feel a lot easier.

I'd contact the organisers about a chip if I were you.  Most folks on this thread have found they respond to queries pretty quickly.

• Options

Thanks Musketeer, I regsitered online but didn't notice anything about renting a chip - had assummed it would be included in the registration. It was only later when going through the website that I noticed it says something about buying a sinle use chip. Thanks also for the advice on  the pace group.

• Options

Hi Jookska, thanks for the advive - I always plan to slow my pace for the LSR, but can never seem to hold back. Must try harder!

I'll send an email to organisers now.

• Options

Hi Kevin, as Jules said, slowodown boy!! You'll be in danger of doing all your best running in your training and no achieving your marathon goal. I speak from bitter experience! for my first few marathons I convinced myself that to run a 7.40 pace marathon I had to train and experience most of my lsr's at that pace, this served me well until 20 / 21 miles when it came home to roost. Now I target 8.20 a mile lsr and feel a lot better at the end of my 20 milers.

Ok, so is anybody going to see the new movie out this weekend: ''run fat boy run'' could serve as inspiration to us all, or not !!!

• Options
    Posting for the first time after the Great Scottish HM on Sunday; managed to pop a PB (1.31.47) by 90 secs (and SB by over 4 minutes) so chuffed - maybe the FIRST 'less is more' mantra actually works!

Interestingly the FIRST schedule has LSRs at a significantly faster sort of pace than most training programmes (planned marathon pace+15 secs per mile). This is actually what I trained at for my only two marathons without knowing about FIRST and following a Bob Glover schedule. Originally tried running slower but found running at PMP+up to 45-60 secs per mile akward and uncomfortable. But as with many aspects of marathon training - "each to their own" and "listen to your body" are probably up their along with just doing plenty of long runs - so what works best for you, works best for you (I'll stop now as there is an acute danger that I'm begining to sound like some sort of self-help holistic lifestyle guru!)
  • Options

I sent an email off to the Amsterdam organisers, got a very swift and helpful reply - panic over! I had selected the single use chip option when I registered. It must be 4 months since I registered and had no recollection of be asked to select a chip option.

I was wondering if anybody could advise on a good drinking/eating strategy for LSRs and indeed for the marathon. I tried some carbo gels at mile 7 and mile 14 on my last long run, however they really don't agree with me, tend to make me gag and I really struggle to get them down. Would power bars be any better? At what intervals do most people take on water and energy drinks? Any other tips?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Hello... I'm thinking about doing the Half but don't know Amsterdam at all. I'd be really grateful for some hotel suggestions...within easy walking distance of the Start..lol..and cheap..and nice!
  • Options
    don't worry about being close to the start - the tram and metro are very efficient.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Ah, that's good to know. Thanks muskateer. OK, any nice, cheap hotels right next to a Metro/tram, tried and tested by someone...?Mr. ATM wants to do the museum/art gallery thing while I run so that's the other criterion. I've gone brain-dead searching online...
  • Options

KC - I would imagine eating a Powerbar half way through a marathon would be tricky. Dry indigestible food mid-run is difficult to gt down.

Which gels have you tried ? The Lucozade ones make me retch - ditto carb-boom (?). The SIS Go gels are thinner & have a more anodyne taste.

Alternatively, skip the gels & have  a good breakfast 3 hours before the race & make sure you take water & Gatorade on board when available.

• Options

Hi ATM

We're staying here - www.thebridgehotel.nl - ran the full marathon in 2002 (still my PB) and doing the half this time as illness and new Dadness has meant that running was parked from October 2005 to June this year!