Options

Wednesday 17th January 2007

Would have gone more mainstream but instructed by wabo to go more obscure......

Comments

• Options
    the "u" in the lyrics is obviously "you", but I had run out of characters and needed to make a saving somewhere, much as I hate TXT speak!

what: yesterday w/u 10*2mins on 1min off w/d

what: today about 8 miles easy after work.

why? yesterday=Schedule. today=schedule.

last hard: yesterday.

night night all.
  • Options
    Morning All

What: not sure, seem to have picked up a thigh strain though was fine after run yesterday, but jumped out of bed this morning and ouch, however walking into work it eased off so we will see how the day progresses.

Why: See above

Pouring down in Dubai this morning, but only two more working days then its the Wadi Bih relay on Friday and on Saturday we fly to France to go skiing.. Yahoo!!!!
    That will be my one week of no running this year. Mrs DD and I went skiing in the Dubai Ski dome last Saturday, now that is one weird / surreal experience being all wrapped up and skiing on snow, then coming out putting on your shorts and flip flops!

Have a good one
  • Options
    Morning peeps.

What: 45 mins of steady running. It was snowing up here last night and now it couldn't be raining any heavier !

DD: Hope your injury clears up. Skiing in France sounds great, wish it was me that was going. Enjoy it !

Have a good one peeps.
  • Options
    Morning.

DD – hope you have a great holiday

What: Nothing, got home yesterday in a rainstorm, so decided I will have another rest day.
  • Options
    Morning

Scoobs-Glad your little dog is okay!!

DD- have fun skiing and a great holiday

What: 10-12 miles
    Why:Schedule and my achilles is letting me:-)

Have fun out there and take care in Snow/Wind/Gales/Rain

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

DD - go carefully with that thigh strain. Ski Dubai is awesome isn't it?! One of the highlights of my trip!!

What - apparently 7 miles slow this evening after work
    Why - schedules decrees...

reckon it'll be on the treadmill if the weather reports are correct.
  • Options
    morning,

i couldn't get the video - screen came up blank :(

good news on roly scoobs, best you can do is behave as normal. if he feels off he'll probably just rest anyway

got woken by raging deluge at 5am, sounded like the roof was coming in. temporary respite, more due in with the wind later. can't wait for that!

treadmill has confirmed my fear of treadmills - always think i'm going to fall off

i saw the funny things to put in your breakfast last night too. more offputting was the chart of type 1 to 6 poo that the lady had to identify every time she went. aren't these people called coprophiliacs or something similar?

nice work blisters, keeping the reps even is certainly a difficult skill.
    you didn't tell us what the childhood toys were though - did you have a magic robot game?

did you get your haircut NZC??

what - one hour at 70-75%
    why - more base
    last hard - 5 days
    last rest - 4 days
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Morning

No snow here yet.

Scooby - I've checked the bbc forecast and it says 12 mph winds on thursday so I might be able to cycle over the wotsits after all! It's scary though - too high up and you can see the water underneath!

Of course that is the same bbc that said 2 mph winds on saturday for my race when it was actually 50!

What: an hours run at a set HR
    Why: schedule
    Last hard: saturday
    Last rest: monday

Just had my breakfast - exactly the same as yesterday!

Today is my baby's 17th birthday! He's getting a lift to school as a special birthday treat!
  • Options
    Morning

Happy birthday IW baby

Happy tube free day 200 :-)

What: Nothing
    Why: Getting my injuries out the way early this year :-)
    Next run: Wait and see - but thinking Sunday at the earliest.
    Lyrics: Nope - and it's all wabo's fault!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Morning!

What: 5.5 wet, cold and windy miles
    Why: Checked bbc.co.uk last night who suggested it would be white clouds with no rain coming out of them at 6am today... how wrong they were....
    Breakfast: Porridge, with added bran, mae with soya milk and a drizzle of maple syrup
    Last hard: Trying to get the miserable people round here to smile and respond to my "morning!"'s.
    Last rest: Monday

Lyrics: no clue. What were yesterdays Cath?

• Options
    Morning.

What: 6.3m steady

Why: Wanted something a bit more than easy, but not to overdo it as I'm still feeling Monday's long run and want to be fairly fresh for Friday's planned tempo run.

Was feeling tired this morning, RHR about 5 beats higher than normal. HR took a long time to come down on warm down this morning as well.

Might can tomorrow's planned easy day in favour of 45mins more sleep.

Then again I'll probably wake up in the morning and think, what the hell...

Not much talk of breakfast so I'll refrain.

Childhood toys - lego and action men

...I'm getting to play with them again now with NG minor :o)

Imski - how about posting it on youtube?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 30 mins easy d&d
    20 x 150 x 70 in 30 secs PM
    Why: Draycote
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Friday

Hope the injuries heel fast HW
  • Options
    Have fun in France DD! Stay in one piece. Cross country or downhill or both? The advice given to my father unfortunately applies equally to me: "Young man" he was told, do not attempt to ski down anything you can't ski up."

Me? Errrr oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear. I have just invited anyone at work who wants to join me to come for a run this afternoon. I can't believe I just did that. (I did warn them about the phenomenal speed at which I run, you can be sure of that.)

I can't believe I just did that.

• Options
    Morning

What: 4 miles d&d. Was supposed to be 6 miles but I decided to run 3 miles as a time trial and the wind on the last mile sapped me. Besides, I'm still not used to this running in the morning thing.
    Why: schedule
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: coming out from under the duvet

Have to say it was only the thought of posting on this thread that finally got me out the door this morning, so, erm, thanks?!

Enjoy the weather
  • Options
    Oh yes, and breakfast was a sesame, one half with cream cheese and one with just butter, along with a pint of water and two mugs of black coffee.

May well be a second breakfast this morning though.
  • Options
    Hope you all don't mind me joining in. Bu**er all going on at work 2day.

I have the best breakfast ever going on by the way... banana, apple, nat yogurt & nuts. Absolutely scrummy. Have it every day and never get bored.

Oh yeah... 13miles after work in the wet howling gales :o$
  • Options
    I like the idea of publically recording my running intentions so am going to join in too!

What: 30 mins easy
    Why: meeting over-ran yesterday and had to miss my run

Last run: shamefully before Christmas!

BBC 24 hour forecast tells me it is going to be brilliantly sunny in London from 10am today - not sure I am believing them as its still raining outside and very grey!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning!
    You got there hammer!
    Lyrics not a clue, hee hee!
    Sorry holly!

hi wacky, bizarre, I fancied a chnage and am eating banana, nuts n yog as we post!! Gonna have an avocado soon - got iron in it apparently!
    )))))))))))))) there you go jen, that makes up for the miseries who didn't smile!

What: last night sesh same as hammer, tonight 6 slow miles, will be nice in this weather!
    why: flm
    last hard: last night, I was clocking some 7.5 mm pace!!
    last easy: monday

Have a good day and try not to get blown away!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Ok a training question(s) for the daily training thread! (the cheek of it!)

Background:

Prior to 'serious' running I had gone to the gym 3/4 times a week regularly, bit of running 3/4 miles on treadie, bit of cycling, bit of rowing, some weights.

April - October 2006 running 3-4 times a week, av weekly mileage of 20-25miles, no defined training plan.

October - ran first HM

November through to early January saw me doing monotonous 70%WHR plodding, 9 weeks in total.

I am now building on this and my weekly training plan looks something like this:

Mon - Long run, currently starting easy, increasing to steady and then HM pace before warm down, 10-12 miles (70%WHR - 75% ish - 85%)

Tuesday - Easy,4-6 miles 70%WHR av

Wednesday - Steady 6 - 6.5 miles (75-78% WHR av)

Thursday - Easy 4-6miles

Friday - Tempo 6.3 - 7 miles (80-85%WHR av)

Sat, Sun - REST

Current estimates of min per mile:

Easy: 9.30-10.00 - very comfortable

Steady: 9.00 - 9.15 - comfortable and feel I could easily maintain this speed for HM

Tempo: guessing at this at the moment, but on basis of say running at 85%WHR I expect this to be 8.20ish

Most of my runs are over the same route, 1.5mile run to park, 1.1m loops and 1.5m run back. All road,pavement, park path running.

I'm intending to follow this plan for this week, the following 2 weeks and then a 1 week taper before my HM on 11th February.

Tempo pace is determined by %of WHR and not mins per mile.

My previous HM was IMO a failure, ran too soon after illness and lack of training in the 2-3 weeks before hand. Time was 1.58 and I had been looking to achieve 1.45 - 1.50 on the basis of tempo runs (not done to HR) of roughly 5.5miles at 8.15min miles. HR in race was constant 160 (+/- 3bpm), which equates to 88%WHR, but because of illness it didn't feel this hard.

I now feel much fitter and need to set a realistic goal time. Friday's tempo run will be my first since early October and I'm looking to this as a guide for race time.

I don't get the opportunity to race often so I expect to be wrecked at the end of the HM or I will feel as if I haven't given enough.

So three main questions:

1.Should I run my first tempo run based on HR and if so at what percentage, or should I just run a hard (but not flat out)6 miles and see what the results are.

2. Does my short term training plan look ok for what I want to achieve, short term?

3. My WHR calc is based on a max HR test I did in September, should I do another before my HM (to determine planned race HR)or leave it until after.

All advice/comments will be gratefully received:o)
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hi hoggle, I saw you somewhere yesterday 1st time and here you are!
  • Options
    Good morning everyone :o)

I have resolved to have a more conventional brekkie on weekdays. This morning I had an apple, a slightly underripe banana, and two of the four rounds of tuna and sweetcorn butties I made this morning. Tomorrow I will get up early enough to sit at the table among the kids' paint-pots and drying works of art and have a bowl of cereal.

Today ...

What: 14-miler after work, with TmR.
    Why: Starting to taper for Brass Monkey. This is instead of the scheduled 21-miler.
    Last hard: Sunday.
    Last rest: Saturday.
  • Options
    Hi Wabo

I have just come back from holiday and am already feeling fed up with work so am spending more time on here then I should!!!
  • Options
    Hoggle: I'm in London too, and sorry to let you know that the beeb TV this morning said gales this eve. I'm hoping the apparantly slow moving rain will have cleared before I set off on my run.

Wabo: How's the breakie going down. Nice aye?!
  • Options
    Stickless

I'm strictly a down hill skier, cross country is far too much hard work just like running!

Todays run was canned, waited all morning to see if thight improved and yes it has and yes I could run on it but 5 days after a marathon and two days before a tricky trail run for once in my life I decided to be sensible and give myself a day off. Anyway absolutely knackered today, MIL arrived last night but flight was delayed 4 hours so 2345 became 0345 standing around at airport, then joy of joys DD1 decided that jumping on dad at 0530 would be fun! The joys of parenthood!
  • Options
    Hi Wacky racer, I generally run at lunchtime which means that it will be a very wet run I think.
    However I am in desperate need of some endorphins to counter-balance post holiday blues so wil be out there regardless!
    Hopefully it will have past by the time you run!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    wacky, breakie very nice)))
    I have a lack of work and thats why I am here too much at the mo, however, now I need to do the wages, most important!
  • Options
    Morning!

Stickless lol - Believe it cause you have done it! I'm sure it will be fine. Do let us know how it went. :0))

Clink - yes thanks woofs is fine this morning - phew. :0)

Iwifey - was it the BBC that missed those storms we had a few years back..... Lets hope they have got Thursday right then, or wrong depending on which one you watch. :0)

Brekky - shreddies - yummy!

Lunch - salad and my tuna quiche that i made yesterday - more yummies! Oh and always a banana.

Tea? Who knows! Are we moving onto tea yet?

How about supper?

Mid morning snack anyone? Ok any afternoon snackers? Late evening food cupboard raiders?

Hollywood - is a sensible chap.

I'm off to gym in a sec.

What: either elliptical if I can stand it, if not it will be the bike for one hour. I will let my instinct take over when i get there and will just find myself on one or the other! Then all usual exercises.
    Why: cross training day
    Last Hard: last nights tready run, must not watch that clock and must not stare at the next hill that is coming along - grrr. Hand was seriously wavering over the stop let me off and out of here right now button, but I did refrain!

hmmm whats on the t.v i wonder, could watch that - yawn!

Pleased to say that my mileage and running is still tick tocking along ok. I have missed one long run that is all, so not too bad and did run that day, just not as far.

Feeling a bit fitter too as cross training lots more than usual too.

So for now all ok and will keep plugging along sticking to off road and tready and gently does it.