Options

Wednesday 17th January 2007

Comments

• Options

Imski - that vid is fantastic - I like the bit where the marshalls dance around in the mud to make it worse! The scary thing is that I went to school in Kent and the accents bring it all back ...

200 mins - glad you're tubeless

A modest success today - doctor agreed that I should be referred to the Sports Injury Clinic at Queen's in Nottingham rather than bog standard orthopedic clinic. Have to have an x-ray first though. Ankle still hurting but not getting any worse so I may run Sunday's XC on it

What: 50 mins turbo a.m., hopefully bike ride after work (if I ever finish - work a bit hectic at the moment)

What's Labyrinth?
  • Options
    Imski

yes
    we have a very muddy 10 miler at the beginning of feb

yes i am doing it
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Re: the pass for the weekend race - more and more races are becoming really family orientated I find and some races are like family days out! Wells host a 5k and 10k that I went to last year and there was a fabulous atmosphere there. I think there was a kids race too. Been to others that don't have a short children's race, but still have a great atmosphere for the whole family to enjoy.

Do many people take their family to races or not? I guess it adds another 'dimension' to race day though of which sometimes there are already too many!

I always turn notifications off for this thread. One of the reasons I have failed in the past for keeping up with the thread is that I just can't cope with all the emails - 60-80 a day, is barmy! This time around I thought "why not just disable notification you ninny?!" so I do. I know where it is when I am ready to read!
  • Options
    Lizzy B

The Labryinth is a great early 90's (I think) movie with David Bowie in it! An absolute classic!
  • Options
    Imski - finally got to watch the vid - great stuff!

Jen* - My races are very family oriented. On the long endurance stuff MrsT and my father in law are my support team and Little Miss Trini is always at the finish to cheer on her 'crazy' Dad (her words!).

Lizzy - don't be too tough on the ankle!
  • Options
    So what the heck did I think would happen? Impress them with my fitness? Who's boss?

Two showed up. Fortunately they were friends. They disappeared almost immediately. As it happens, I knew the route, and took some pleasure in letting them get a long way ahead before telling them the the route went left. Gave them some good healthy exercise too.

I am not sure they will come again. I shall advertise it again. The name of the game is perseverance, and I can't help it if I can't set a decent pace. I'm me and that's where I am at the moment.

I'll have to measure it. I certainly haven't run so fast for a long time. Defo rest day tomorrow.

Jen, we went to races en famille. the kids did the fun runs with me usually, and the Mr. ran the half or the marathon in those days. We made much of the young medallists, and I note with interest that some of the certificates from those occasions are still on the wall.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Labyrinth was 1986 I think.... I remember videoing it when it finally was shown on the TV on Christmas Eve, when I was 11 or 12 which was '88 or '89. That was a great day! I have since been bought Labyrinth on DVD and have owned the CD soundtrack for well over 10 years.

Jim Henderson puppets. David Bowie in tight trousers. Storyline goes Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) wishes her baby step-brother away to the Goblins. The Goblin King (Bowie) gives her 13 hours to get to the Castle (beyond the Goblin City) to take back the child that he had stolen. Contrary to what Sarah thinks, it isn't a peice of cake, with weird and wonderful puzzles and songs to see her on her merry way. The final scenes are an Escher-style room with Toby (the baby) wandering around and Sarah trying to work out which dimension she should use to get to him. Not seen it for a couple of years... could do with a bit of a Labyrinth top-up....!

Is this where I should just take my leave, and step out of the room quietly......??!?
  • Options
    Ok, thats a little scary!!!!!
  • Options
    Happy 17th birthday I Wifey's son!

Micksta - great 400s.

AF - such dedication!

What: 9 miles flat - very easy, still very humid.
  • Options
    Evening all.

Weldome to newbies - hoggle and wacky racers. I loved wacky races, and catch the pidgeon - anyone watch that one?

Stickless - 2 turned up and did running. Well done for getting them out there. Bit inconsiderate of them to run on in front in my opinion especially since you had the decency to organise it. Liked the left hand turn bit. :0)

LizzyB - xc racing and ankle? You take care now. Great news about the referral. Will you have to wait for long? Why x-ray?

FL - hello, sorry PF still not gone. Wot a pain. But good to hear cross training going well.

On that note

Went to gym and instict headed me onto elliptical trainer.

Was to do one hour - hills - usual program, but ended up doing 55 mins as realised I would be late for work by time I'd done all other bits and peices. So 11k done today. Seem to be getting stronger on this program. No air con today so gym hot hot hot. But still did 10k under usual 50 mins. Time to put level up maybe. HR is lower too, but I still find it a very hard workout, so will see.

Then got to showers thinking plenty of time to discover I had forgotten my towel! Oh hec! So I had to dash home to shower before work, hence late into work - oh dear!

• Options
    FL - you've grown hair ?? Bugger me is that from not running or as a result of the PF

PS did I mention that I was XC champion (in our meaningless BAC mini league)
  • Options
    Confessions of a fairweather runner... Decided the weather forecast looked far to dodgy to wait till tonight for my 8 mile club run, so ran with sister this afternoon as had the whole day to myself,probably a bit slower than if i had run with club but thats not a bad thing really.Just been made to feel really guilty I see 200 is out with the club tonight, oh!! I hope you lot dont get wet !!

Scoobs you must be well chuffed with that 10k time, weldone.
  • Options
    Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭
    No shame in that Night Nurse.

I did my run at lunchtime (therefore park/daylight), foregoing the planned run home from work (darkness/traffic/possible snow on the way).

Flexibility is my watchword. Well, that and 'POLAR'.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

What - 8.25m Steady
    Why - Mara Trg
    Last Hard - Sun
    Last Rest - Yesterday

Still on course......

Take care
  • Options
    night nurse - twas on elliptical trainer so not the same as running i guess = BOO HOO! :0( My elliptical trainer PB on my hill program for the 10k is 47:40! I like to have goals - keeps me going! :0)

Well done on your run, I tell you what. Feel guilty whilst wrapped up nice and snug on couch, remote to hand and a lovely bar of choccy to munch on and listen to the rain on the window! tee hee. :0)
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Scoobs - You must be going some on an elyptical trainer to cover that distance in that time though? I don't quite get what an elliptical trainer is but if it is what I think it is (like a cross training machine where you stand on pedals and step along with handles that move?), then I didn't think it let you cover distance as quickly as running! I think your time/distance things on there are fab!

• Options
    Jen - yes it is often called the cross trainer. The ones I use go by pace in the same manner as running. So I know how fast I am going albeit roughly as its in KM per hour, so I'm always trying to calculate. Basically 12k is the same as 8 min miling. But I warm up for 10 mins first and then give it wellie!

But obviously the harder the level then the more effort there is when pushing the pedals round. I also do it on hills to keep me interested. They all vary so to give you an idea, I'm working at between 155 to 160 HR. Which is hard!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Blimey, over 100 posts, is everyone running 2/3 times a day or just feeling talkative!

FL.. do I sense that romance is in the air? Come on, do tell. Which lady member of Barnsley AC (or Barnsley H?) is the apple of your eye - you haven't gone back to speedy Fiona have you?

Run home from work and got a taster of tomorrow's weather. 11.5 mile run, the last 3.5 miles straight into 30mph winds and stinging cold rain. Despite wearing a decent pair of gloves my hands were almost numb when I got home. The pleasures of winter training!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Scoobs - I used to use the cross trainer in my local gym but stopped because I didn't feel I was getting anywhere on it (not that you get anywhere on the treadmill either, but you know what I mean!).

Given our gym's running machines are rubbish and cut out if you change the speed on them too much, perhaps I will try going on that instead.

Are we *allowed* to count ellptical traininer miles as 'running' miles?????? It would be a much better way to warm up for my circuits on a Sunday (ha! I do them two weeks in a row and suddenly it's Circuit Sunday!) but I like topping up my weekly mileage with an extra one or two on the tready before I pump iron....!!!

Didn't hear whether I was allowed to count the mile run home in my heels yesterday either.......?????!!!
  • Options
    the heel run defo counts
  • Options
    lol jen! No I don't count elliptical training miles as running miles I'm afraid cause - well - they're not running they're cross training! But yes I would say you can count your 1 mile run in heels!!! I have no idea how you managed that, I have difficulty walking in the things - respect!! :0)

• Options
    Evening All

First double in a long time today so feel pretty pleased with myself.

What: Lunchtime 5 miles at a steady pace
    Evening 10.4 at an easy pace
    Why: Building mileage, endurance etc
    Last Hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: 5 days

Felt pretty good all in legs not as heavy as i thought they would be...still time though, now i need food!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    They weren't very high heels (2inches?), but the heels were very small in terms of area. Kitten heels if you will. The thought of 20 minutes of slow agonising pain form walking was enough to inspire a 10 minute run in them. I recommend it if anyone is trying to develop a forefoot striking running technique!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    (running in heels that is - not just wearing ill-fitting shoes)
  • Options
    What: 5 miles steady(ish)
    Why: Schedule
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Monday

Had the wind pushing me home for the last mile and a half !yay! after battering me all over the place for the first 3 and a half :-(

• Options
    double mileage for having the chutzpah to run in them
  • Options
    How many posts!!

I have come on to say I WILL run tomorrow. Work and life getting in the way so far this week.

10 mile race on Sunday though.

Hello wacky racer and Hoggle (hope I got the names right!)

Scooby, wasnt catch the pigeon a catchphrase from wacky racers?
  • Options
    What: 10 mile club run
    Why: Wednesday = Club
    Last Hard: ?
    Last Rest: Mon

This thread is very long and I feel guilty for not having read through it. However having only had the maximum of one hour's sleep per night for the past two weeks.. I feel (and most likely look) like death... I hate insomnia

• Options
    Wow! 118 posts and no-one got the lyrics! What sadly obscure music I must listen to, especially as the song title is in the lyrics and the song title is also the album title.......

Song is Running Down the Road, from Running Down the Road, by Arlo Gutrie (son of the late, great Woody Guthrie). Obvious running link.....

I'll offer up an easier second chance as I certainly won't be awake at midnight to start the next thread, I almost offered......

"When I wake up early in the morning, lift my head, I'm still yawning......"

A clue - not obscure, but like a lot of music I listen to it is older than I am (but only just!)

What - 8m easy
    why - schedule + catch up on missed miles
    last hard - yesterday
    last rest - last Thurs.
  • Options
    evening all

What: 14.5ml @ 81-84% WHR, with Vrap
    Why: midweek medium long run
    Apparently 3 mins slower than last week, but didn't seem any minutes easier; perhaps the vaguely strong wind might account for it ?