Options

Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

It's a few years since I did this marathon and I'd forgotten two things.....

quite how beautiful the scenery is (even in bad weather)

how long those hills were .

This is a fantastic marathon and I think the new RO did a great job.   Lovely t-shirt and another slate coaster to my collection.    Will be back next year.

Well done Hammie and welcome to the 100 club.   Good to meet up with other forumites too.  

The drive there on Friday was awful 7.30 hours, driving back after the race only took me 6 hours inc stops and the rain stopped exactly at the point I  crossed the border back into England...spooky

• Options

Hi Shades,

Glad you had fun image

Personally, i thought the route looked more scenic on sunday morning, as we were driving up pen-y-pass you could see the water cascading down the mountains, stunning scenery !

I met up with steve (100 club) before and after race, he also tried to 'talk' me into doing Cornwall, as well as the "10 in 10"  next year !  

Don't forget the coverage on S4C tonight btw !  (i hope its in english)image

Sorry i missed UH presentation, i had circulation problems with my fingers which took nearly 3 hrs to work properly, may possibly be a case of VWF from previous years work, just as well i don't run on my hands ! 

• Options
    Where is fellrunner and luna man I just want to see what you both thought of the day. I'm still feeling a bit stiff but very proud well done UH on your 100 marathon medal that is a remarkable achievment I saw quite a few 100 marathon runners throughout the race and I am in total awe of them all. Well done once again to everyone I have had some great fun on the forum sorry not to have met many of you on the day will look forward to seeing you all next year ........maybe!
  • Options

Hi all,

What a great run! It had everything I could have wanted - great scenery, atmosphere, enthusiastic supporters, mars bars, hills, hill fog, strong winds, rain and cramp! I didn't see any of you distinctly, but I thought I saw someone in a black beanie with what looked like a roobarb and custard badge on his back, but as the rain was hammering on my glasses I couldn't really tell!

I managed to knock over 30 minutes off my previous PB and finished in 4h 03. I'll have to do it next year and see if I can shave those 3-ish minutes off my time and not cramp at the top of the steep hill in the fog.

Well done to everyone, and I'll miss the support and the giggles from the thread - thanks for keeping me so enthused. See you next year image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    FA - If you want me to email you a 10 in 10 form then just let me know!    Did Steve say he was going to do it again?
  • Options
    shades- never heard of 10 in 10- can you elaborate what/when/where??  Assume its 10 maras in 10 months ?? cheers
  • Options

Shades,

I think i'll apply for the '10 in 10' in 2009, i'm really trying to focus on getting a sub 2.45 next year so that'll take up a couple of months hard training, i can't remember if Steve said if he was going to do it next year or not.

SH 6,

Its 10 maras in 10 days !!  and it's at Lake Windemere around next May i believe.

• Options
    Good God !! Is that possible ?? What amount of training is needed for that ??
  • Options

RJ - yes it was me in the Beanie, think the badge was starting to run a little as well !

M62 - go for it  !!!

... and FR said hello as he went past me, so he does exist - not just the phantom 'stuff anything' man....  I guess my description of him didn't help CD.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - yes it's possible, it was done this year, 7 finishers I think.   I've put my name down for 2008, just hope I can do it
  • Options

Here's a link to the official results

http://www.raceahead.net/downloads/SNMA07.xls

Congratulations to fall finishers

• Options

Thanks WP - I did wonder if I was imagining it! I hope it doesn't rain so much next year and I'll spot more insignia - either that or ditch the glasses!!

• Options
    M62 steve, yes, yes,yes, go for it, its a fantastic marathon and you can easily train in a year, you won't regret it. SZ I was the one that looked like Kate Moss, oh alright more like Sterling Moss, or even a lump of moss.....UH I am in awe. Sinatra, don't know about you, but I can see why over 1600 people did Snowdon and 55 did Langdale!
  • Options
    LOL Froghopper.  I can agree with you on that.  I wonder how many others were stupid enough to do both as well.
  • Options

hello folks, sorry it took so long - only just home (literally) from Snowdonia. All I can say is ...

Wow!!!!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Walking up to the start was really atmospheric, though I probably talked too much. Caught up with someone with Rhubarb and Custard on their bum before mile 1, and it was taffyduck (hello taffy!). We ended up running practically the whole thing at the same pace, which was brilliant for me - can't speak for taffyduckimage - again I think I talked too much. Thanks to her I made it in 3:31, which if you count the hills (I make it three of them!) is basically a PB for me. Sorry I lost you on Waunfawr Taffy - I was kind of concentrating on the tarmac in front of me for a while image. If I'd been able to fly downhill like some of the others who passed me I could have shaved off more time, but as it is I'm just grinning ear to ear still at the whole thing. Can't believe I did it and loved it so much, even the pretty incessant rain after Bedgellert. 

Support was fantastic - even at the top after Waunfawr and most especially near the end pounding the quads down that blessed hill. I was smiling the whole way (except up and down the hill of course).

Sorry I didn't meet up with any other folks here, but I'm most definitely coming back next year. Taffy and I both agreed this forum has been the best to be involved in. Hang on, I'm off to have a good old cry! image 

Passed another 100th marathoner enroute, but it wasn't you UH, unless you were lying?!

Great job everyone, and most especially folks on their first marathon. I've got to learn to run downhill now.

• Options

Sorry about the above, here's the real race report:

So anyway, I was out running as usual on Saturday near Penypass and I noticed lots of other runners around. They said there was a marathon on - can you guys believe it! A marathon, in Snowdonia! The idiots.

• Options

Hi All

so sorry i didnt get to meet a few of you as i was really hoping to do so!!But then i met LUNA MANimage!!!Thanks to thoseR @Cbadges!!I so loved this marathon as hard as it was but a very special oneI was hoping for 3.45-4.00 but finished in 3.32  so Thanks to LM( who pipped me at the post!!!! )I managed a really good time which was not expected.This forum has been brill and see you all next year!!!! 

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Looks like FR has just started the 2008 thread image
  • Options

Flying ant, remember you at the finish now, carrot top introduced us.

Yes i paced Debbie from the start, and its a good job too otherwise she would have gone off way to fast. set out to run at 7 min mile pace and got it bang onimage

She kept looking back at me like i was mad! She has been doing a lot of 3k s so running that slow was strange for her. We hadn't done much training for this one and just wanted to enjoy the run.

We did our 1st marathon together at London 05 and she stayed at my pace up to about the 13 mile point. i got my 2:52 and she got 2:58.

Your aiming for 2:45 next year, so am i ( again ! ) i'm on the good for age at London and so is carrot top. come and have a chat on the 2:45 thread.

My big toe is going black!imageimage 

• Options

PS

Forget to tell you my F***ing Quads are killing and walking Like i S**t myself But it was well worth it!!!!LM see you in Rhayader next year!

• Options
    I'm happy now fellrunner and luna man have returned
  • Options
    just watched it on S4C,  hope some of you spot yourselves.
  • Options

Just watched the race on tvimage. what a let down, I thought it was about the marathon!!!.

Quick shot of mr phil putting himself straight, in the beginning, and a bit of carot top in the end. Did any one else see any one?

• Options
    Saw myself at the top of the pass "doubling back" to get a drink image
  • Options

Chris,

Fully agree with you mate, what a loada shite ! Its supposed to be an unbiased coverage of ALL the runners participating (or as many as possible), i don't personally mind if i'm on tv or not, but it should show a bit more of the race and the course, and perhaps a bit more of the rest of the population that aren't welsh speakers !

Was also hoping to see a mention of UH 100th marathon, as if thats not special in itself !

Dim hapus iawn    image

yes, i also saw carrot top and karl wbh, and a quick snap of Mr.Phil (pre-race).

• Options
    FA - And I was going to have that rant...!
  • Options
    Perhaps that is the edited version and the extended version is out soon??  After all it must have been thrown together pretty quick to get it out the day after??
  • Options
    Yes, perhaps there are more sheep farmers to be interviewedimage. And Jones the steam hasn't been interviewed yetimage.