Options

Lake Vyrnwy Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I get the feeling Mr Happy is up for this one ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    Up for this one? - Bring it on - I'm off to training camp next week for 2 weeks!
  • Options
    Blimey, listen to it, I better hope my new orthotic insoles work, otherwise you'll be passog me in Vyrnwy ;-) Better get out traiing Monsiour Happy ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    I've just done the Mansfield half today - 13 hills - man it was tough but I need to find about another minute per mile! I added 11 minutes to my PB.

Let the speed training begin! :)
  • Options
    Not doing this - didn't get my entry in and it is full :-(
  • Options
    Went to a school reunion this weekend in Wales, and met some of my old classmates from Llanwddyn. One of them has a Dad marshalling the race, and another is doing the cakes! I'd had a couple and promised to run the race for old times sake! Better get in training somehow in spite of bad knee. Be careful of drunken promises!!
  • Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    Speedy - It would be great if you could make it after all, but DO be careful with your knee, won't you?
    btw - how do you pronounce Llanwddyn?!
  • Options
    *puts hand up*

Ooo...Can I answer that one Daz?

Llan = errr...well touch your tounge to the roof of your mouth just behind your teeth and blow and that should pronounce the "Ll" bit (watch who you're spraying with saliva mind!)

so it ends up being Llan-oo-thin.

Sorry Speedy if I'm wrong, never did get top grades for Welsh in School *sigh*
  • Options
    Well done, Slower! Can I also add that 'thin' is pronounced th as in 'the'+ in. Then say the whole thing very quickly!
  • Options
    I'm seeing physio on Wednesday to see if any hope of Berlin 30/09 though bit worried as feel weak on right leg, especially back/outside of knee and outside arch of right foot (feel like a hypochondriac). Also numbness hasn't ceased so still numb all down back of right leg and foot....

Did 30 mins walking........ on treadmill today at gym swapping between hills and fast walking felt a bit of a fool, but not really supposed to be doing anything before Wed's........:(

Hope training is going well for everyone else on thread, and again if anyone else has had prolapsed disc surgery and can share experience especially recovery time very welcome ;0)
  • Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    Right!
    Got my flat 10k out of the way last Sunday, so
    should be concentrating on LakeV from now on...
    but...
    seem to have committed myself to running 5 shortish fell/trail races between July 15th-25th <oops!>
    really need to get a long run in soon, so
    might have Friday off work, and do one then...
  • Options
    Hello! I have never done a race at this time before, my last half marathon started at 9.30am so food wasn`t an issue I just had my normal brekkie of porridge, nuts and honey. What should I eat on Lake V race day with a 1.00pm start? Brekkie and light bite later on or just one meal? Paranoid I`ll get stitch! Helz ;-)
  • Options
    P.s, Also, should I do any 10k`s beforehand? Helz
  • Options
    Urrghhh.......my training's all gone horribly wrong (aka non-existant)- think I'm going to be walking a good chunk of this (and the Dublin mara 7 weeks later). Moved house 4 weeks ago and things are still coming together, work is chaotic (busiest time of year for an ecologist) and now got the wedding to plan. Everythings complete madness. Bugger
    :o( Hope people wave as they run past!!!!
  • Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    SnailsPace - don't you just hate it when life gets in the way of running?
    ooh, it makes my blood boil!

Helz - A late start it one of the main things I look out for when picking race - I'm not a "morning person".
    I will just be getting up late and having my porridge about 10:30-11:00am'ish
    ahhhh... luxury!
    I'm SO looking forward to this race!

As for 10k's, I don't think they're essential, but the odd one is good in place of a speed session, if you're trying to increase your target pace for the Half...
  • Options
    Thanks DazTheSlug, I won`t have the luxury of having porridge that late as got a 2 1/2 hr drive on race day to get to Lake V! Maybe I`ll eat it in the car ;-)

Really looking forward to the race, first time! Hope weather good.
  • Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    Helz - I have a cottage booked local to Vyrnwy, so can avoid the dreaded "long drive" - I am taking this one seriously!!

Did about 12 miles today. Mostly easy, but tried to "push" to about 9:00mins on 4 of the miles:
    mile 2-3 - 9:08
    mile 6-7 - 8:50
    mile 8-9 - 8:34, followed by "comfort stop"
    mile 9.5-10.5 - 8:31, tried to imagine I was running the last mile at LakeV, needing sub-9min for sub-2hours overall.
    Very encouraging :o)
    3 more long runs pre-LakeV, so very confident of my sub-2hour target...
  • Options
    8 weeks tomorrow... first 100 mile week of four this week... with two races... bring it on ;-)

Daz Very impressive with some hard work going on there... sub 2 hours WILL happen my friend... 8 weeks is plenty of time!

Pug
  • Options
    Hi. I'm doing this one along with about 20 other ladies from our running club, Dudley Ladies. It's my first Vyrnwy half and I'm really looking forward to it. Say hello if you see us, you won't miss us, we'll be the ones weighed down with jelly babies and chocolate!
  • Options
    I may need some choccie on my way around ;-) so beware haha

Pug
  • Options
    Good luck to the Dudley Ladies.
    Hide that chocolate if you pass anyone from Aldridge Running Club, it may be me.....yum, yum.
  • Options
    Thanks. We don't mind sharing...I'm guessing we'll be glad to offload some of our stock...and I doubt we'll be doing the passing...we'll be at the back starting as we mean to go on :)
  • Options
    Hi Fizzog,
    Good luck to the Dudley Ladies! I was hoping to do this with some ladies from Halesowen running club but it filled up before they got round to entering, so just me! Am worried I won`t be able to stay motivated as used to running with my friend from the club in races as we are similar pace. Would it look anti-social if I had my i-pod on to spur me on?! Helz ;)
  • Options
    Hiya,

I always end up running/racing on my own (cue violins!) and I tend to use my i-pod just so I have that kick up the backside! I have the volume set just low enough so I can hear what's going on around me though.

In my last race I ended up running at exactly the same pace as someone else for the last mile and we started spurring each other on (which was just what I needed by then even if it was only a 10K) so I just unplugged one of my ears (!) so I didn't look like I was being rude!! LOL ;o)

STSP x
  • Options
    I love running with my ipod but I tend to sing along and my singing is awful at the best of times! And Helen, just say hi to any of the Dudley Ladies if you see them (we usually wear our club vests) we're a friendly bunch. :)
  • Options
    Thank you Fizzog I`ll say hello to the Dudley Ladies and maybe steal a couple of jelly babies if I may!

SLSP - Think I will have my i-pod on then as I do find it spurs me on, will take your advice and keep volume on low though so I can still feel part of what else is going on. With my music and jelly babies from Dudley Ladies I`ll be well on my way ;)
  • Options
    This will be my bench mark for if theres any hope for Berlin Marathon 3wks later.

As long as I get 12wks running in before Berlin should work, but I have only just started to run after back op and then its not far and very slow........ (didn't run for just under 5wks)

Ahhh it will happen........ just not PB but an peek for next year? :)

Hope you're staying sane not running Speedy!
  • Options
    oooh I am getting excitied and nervous all at the same time. I have been following a training programme for it but I haven't run any longer than 40 minutes on it yet! EEK! Looks like some of you guys have been doing some serious mileage!

This will be my 2nd 1/2 mara and I want to beat 2h 7mins. Doing the Great Wales Run in Cardiff on the 29th to see where I am at. Soooo excited!!! :-D

• Options
    Hi Porkyplodder, it`ll be my 2nd half mara too and like you, I`m trying to beat 2 hrs 7 mins!I haven`t squeezed in many long training runs either, prob 8 miles max so gonna try and do a 10/11 miler this wkend. Looking forward to it though ;-) Helz
  • Options
    It'll be my 2nd half too. I've done quite a few races since starting running 18 months ago. I need them to keep me motivated. I've mostly run 10K but with a few odd distance races in between. I'm doing Toughguy a week Sunday and then the next big event is this one. My last half (Wolverhampton) was really hard and not particularly pleasant... I've heard good things about Lake Vyrnwy though and I'm really looking forward to it :) All being well I will beat 2hrs 40mins!!! well I couldn't be any slower than my last one!