Options

Lake Vyrnwy Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like your training is going better than mine Helz! I expect to see you whizzing past me at some point. I am going to write my name on my number so give me a holler as you whizz by!

I am going out tonight for a gentle 40 minute jog. Just need to drag myself away from the laptop......

I am like you Fizzog in that I need to have a race to aim for in order to keep myself motivated. I like to plan my runs for the week and tick them off as I do them. Makes me feel like I am getting somewhere! God I sound like a right saddo!

Good luck with Toughguy at the weekend. Hope the weather stays dry for you!
  • Options
    Thanks porkyplodder, and good luck for the Great Wales on 29th. Do you run for a club? I love running with Dudley Ladies but they do tend to do the same routes over and over again... that's another reason I like to enter races, at least you get to see different places and scenery.

Helen, I did the Uffmore Shuffle, Halesowen, in May this year, did you do that one?
  • Options
    Hi porkyplodder!

I'm doing the Great Wales Run as well.....I'll be the one near the back looking like I'm about to keel over!

Was meant to do 4 miles this morning but it's tipping it down and my bed was far too warm and cosy *sigh*....looks like a trip to the gym tonight to make use of the treadmill, wish treadmill running wasn't so boring (and I always end up reunning next to a guy with serious body odour problems!!!! *grumble*)
  • Options
    Fizzog - I didn`t do the Uffmoor shuffle but the ladies at the club enjoyed it and did well. I may have to leave the club soon tho as been offered new job in Worcester so wouldn`t make it back in time - anyone know if Worcester running club is any good?

Porkyplodder, will look out for you! I`ll be wearing bright yellow Halesowen club vest so you won`t miss me. Gonna try and do the dreaded 11 miler tomorrow but am aching from shorter training runs this week! Serves me right for not training sooner, why do we have to work full time anyway??! It takes up too much of my life!Helz
  • Options
    I am not in a running club unfortunately. I used to be in an all ladies one in Gloucester, but I moved to North Wales and I can't find one here. It's a bit of a shame because I used to enjoy the social side of it. You just can't gossip the same when running with you husband!

STSP, I used to use a spot of rain as an excuse for not going out for a run, but with the summer being as wet as it has this year, I have decided to grin and bear it! Besides, if it's peeing it down on race day, I wont have the choice. Fortunately I have a 5 year old's birthday party to go to after the race so I have the thought of pass the parcel and jelly and ice-cream to keep me going if it is chucking it down!

Good luck if you do decide to do that 11 miler Helen! I managed my 40 minutes last night. It wasn't so bad once I was out there. I have a 60 minute run to do on Saturday, followed by an easy 30-40 minutes on Sunday. The joys of the weekend!
  • Options
    I don't mind a spot of rain Porky but when it's a deluge my feet come on all stubborn and refuse to leave the house!! ;o)
  • Options
    my oh my - just how many "snails" are doing this one lol.

Helen - Am also a Dudley Lady - u cant miss our vests - we'll look out for you - we annoy alot of runners by talking to anyone and everyone on the way round lol & fellow dudley lady Fizzog is right, we really dont mind sharing our supplies (esp with fellow snails, Dale lol)

See u all on the day.

Anyone know if it is actually "flat"?
  • Options
    Hi all,

i haven't given this race much thought but blimy it is slowly creeping up.

I am a big fan of music while i run, although in races i usually leave it to the closing stages. be warned, i start screaming like banshee.

smiffie - i am impressed with your powers of recovery

snail lady / fizzog - all this talk of cakes and chocies is making me very hungry. i useally have a secret stash at the finish line as a n incentive to run faster.

• Options
    Hello Snail Lady

More snails the better I say..!

By all accounts this is one of the flattest half marathons around, so PB's for all you able bodied runners. Me, I am suffering with 'Plantar Faciitis', so if I do run I shall be taking it easy at the back.
    Club outing this one. Coach, pub and a meal on the way back. Must be worth 13 miles and a little pain.
  • Options
    Dale, I'm suffering with a little heel pain too. I'm trying to ignore it to see if it'll go away. Not sure if it's the extra miles, the hills or the fact that I've changed from Nike to Asics!

Hehe, hello Snail Lady How's that ankle? Best get better soon, don't forget we have the Great North to look forward to!!!

• Options
    Dale - I'll be snailing right there with you at the back if my runner's knee has its own way, so you wont be on your own. We can compare shells lol.

Carrott top - I challenge you to out "banshee" Fizzog shes a Dudley Lady afterall ...

No offence Fizzog lol, ankle is bruised thanks, did my best nemo impression 2day, 40 lenghts got v bored. Think knee appreciated the 'rest' tho, hope to be back at Club Tues.How r we doing the Great North exactly???

Getting scared as Lake V is so close its almost a reality. Dunno about a PB, this is my first half - completing the course will do me! lol
  • Options
    Slower Than Snails Pace, I take it all back! I was due to go out for a run today but judging by the weather I would have been better off wearing my goggles and swimming cap than my running kit. I was put off big time by the "spot" of rain and opted for eating a cadbury's dairy milk bar in the comfort of my own home instead! Didn't even make it to the gym!

You about ready for Sunday?
  • Options
    I wouldn't have gone out today but I had a balti last night so I thought I should!

Hey Snail, don't rush that comeback...and how exactly did you hurt your ankle? We entered a competition for the GN remember and with a bit of positive thinking we'll win it!

Let me get Sunday out of the way and then I can think about Lake Vyrnwy :{
  • Options
    Hi Porkyplodder!

I couldn't even get to the gym to run Friday night as the roads were flooded (they cancelled my pilates class as well *grumble*) and rain over the weekend meant running was a total wash out!!! Have to say I opted for the chocolate too!!! LOL ;o)

• Options
    I know Fizzog I'm too keen (that and dont fancy walking Lake V) - had a bit of the old throbbing action occuring this morning ;) so may not make Tues. My ankle? no idea its just bruised spontaneously - at least I dont rem going over on it or kicking anyone [not even seen WW for weeks :)]

Hadnt 4got the comp, but its passed and i hadnt heard anything but will keep with the positive thinking!!

I feel like i havent ran for eternity (its been less than a week)
  • Options
    I'm out, torn tendons in my right legs, and out for upto 6 weeks with NO exercise... so count me out... gutted.

Pug
  • Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    Pug - that's terrible news mate :o(
    we'll all miss you at this race (and others).
    how did you manage to tear tendons?
  • Options
    God knows, overuse or something, don't know... but it went last Monday night ona tough fast 16 miler... been getting niggles for previous 5-6 days, but ignored them, then this happens :-(

Loosk like I coul dbe out alot longer as well, as thinking about starting from square one again, isnt really grabbing me :-(

Pug
  • Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    Pug - you probably know more about this than me, but isn't winter supposed to be the time for a bit of rest/"base training" anyway?
    alright, you have to write-off August/September,
    but then ease back gently in Oct/Nov...
    Dec/Jan/Feb base training...
    then we get the old Pug back by about Spring time...?
    Maybe target a Half-Mara in about May time as a come-back race - Chester or White Peak for example...?

apologies if I don't know what I'm talking about (which I probably don't)
  • Options
    unlucky pug, don't make any rash decisions. 6 weeks may seem like forever but in reality it is a very short time and you will not loose too much fitness. so london may still be possible.
  • Options
    snail lady - Yikes, a challenge, i am not good with compotition/pressure, perhaps i am in the wrong sport.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you're injured Pug. What, no exercise...not even swimming? I hope you have a speedy recovery :(
  • Options
    just caught up with this thread, sorry to read of so many injuries and niggles cropping up - best wishes to pug, dale, fizz, snail dale, speedy and smiffie. hope you all manage to get things sorted out in time

helen - like you i'm worried about the afternoon kickoff and what to eat.
    tried out doing my long run this sunday in the afternoon instead of straight after breakfast.
    i think i got the 'what' right - normal breakfast at 8am then big brown roll with butter and jam about 2 hours before running - but not the 'how much' and ran out of steam badly at about 11 miles though this was also complicated by running the first 8 with a friend who is quicker than me so we did about a minute a mile faster than i would normally do my longest run.
    anyway, plenty of time to practise the eating and get the quantity and timing right.
    also yes - you should do a 10k a few weeks beforehand. the plan i'm doing has one as a 'tune up' with about 4 weeks to go so you have time yet to get an entry in. i've entered birchwood but not had a number through yet. also doing a 4 miler a week or so before that.

good luck everyone with the training
  • Options
    Hi Clink, your training sounds like it`s going well - I was meant to do an 11 miler last Sun but ended up doing about 6. Self inflicted, went out for a `quiet meal` with a friend which ended up a 3am in the morning alcohol infused night - very bad.
    Surprised I went at all but had promised a lady from the club I`d meet her so it gave me a kick up the wotsit.
    Really looking forward to the race, managed to get into a b&b right near the start so staying there on the sat night - alone! Long story, but wasn`t pre-empting a solo weekend so I`m looking out for buddies to talk to and encourage me! Helz x
  • Options
    Helen, you'll have to let us know if you'll be wearing a club vest and myself and snail lady will look out for you. What is your pace??? I'll be lucky if I manage 11 minute miles overall...I'll need someone to gossip to or I'll just focus on the pain!!!

Hi Clink. My injury problems aren't as bad as others...just a little heel pain :( but thanks for the well wishes. Good luck for your other races too :)

• Options
    Hi Fizzog, thank you for your support! I have only done one half mara before, and clocked in at 2 hours 6 mins. Hoping to get under 2 hours but not hedging my bets as I haven`t trained anywhere near as much as I should have!

Know what you mean, if I can chat and share the pain with others, the whole experience is much more enjoyable! I will be wearing a bright yellow Halesowen A & CC vest. Helz x
  • Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    Helz - I am aiming for sub-2hrs also (PB=2:02), so maybe we'll be quite close together in race?

If you want company on the Saturday night, you're quite welcome to babysit our 3 sluglets, while Lady Slugge & I go down the pub!!
    ;o)

clink - I'm planning on doing Birchwood 10k too - hoping for sub-50mins - might see you there...

fell-race tomorrow night, then 12-Miler planned for Saturday...
  • Options
    Well I'll look out for you Helen even if it's just to say hello at the start :) My only other half was the Wolves marathon which was really difficult...I'd only been running for about 7 months at the time and clocked 2:40...I was just pleased to finish. It'll be interesting to see how I get on this time after 18 months of running.

Having said that, that little niggle in my heel now feels quite sore after tonights run... any advice gratefully received! :(
  • Options
    Actually made it out last night - yay!! Just under 9 miles in an hour and a half (plodding along!!) but more than happy with that as it's the longest I've run before.

Was wondering also - on the day I'm driving up from Knighton so was wondering if anyone out there needed a lift? :o)
  • Options
    helen - will be looking out for a lonely yellow vest then :)
    mine's white with green stripes, if you see me first give me a nudge

thanks fizz
    re your heel pain - you need to be careful you don't get stuck with pf (there is a long thread on this) is it worse first thing in the morning?

daz - see you at birchwood then, looking forward to that one. done it heaps of times and had a load of really bad runs there for various reasons - tonsilitis, glandular fever, gut problems... i don't think it's actually a difficult course so can't blame that! gave it a miss last year but feeling able to tackle it again now

good effort snail - what are you aiming to do as your longest training run?