Options

Leeds Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Added: Did have a look around for people wearing green ribbins before and after the race but saw no-one.....

Nice to see Jimmy Saville there on stage.
  • Options
    ...not sure about the jimmy saville bit...
    :-)

• Options
    now then now,
    how's about that then?
  • Options
    are the results posted anywhere yet?
  • Options
    Scott S, How did you get your chip time?
  • Options
    Finished in about 1:45, not a PB but pretty much what I was targetting on the day.

Good to see some of you in the pub.

If anyone finds the results, let me know. I'm trying to find the team results at the moment...
  • Options
    Hello hope everyone ok and don't ache too much.
    Managed to finish in 2:17 which wasn't too bad i thought for my first half marathon.

That Kirkstall road does seem to go on for ever but im glad i managed in the end and the weather was ok which was a positive.
  • Options
    We should all be glad that we got around before the rain came - its pouring here in Leeds now.

Not my best day out - forgot to push the stop button on crossing the line (dontcha just hate doing that). But about the two hour mark, slower than last year, but first race since breaking collarbone in Feb.

Ran to heart rate for efficiency, but the second half was ugly. Then collected what should have been a large T shirt and had a small in my bag, the fickle finger of fate again :-(

Anyone going to do the Jane Tomlinson 10k in Leeds on June 24? I was at an event that made a presentation to her a few weeks ago, standing ovation, but heart wrenching to see her looking so frail.

Well done to all of you.
  • Options
    My first half and I loved it. Haven't worked out where to find my chip time yet, but came under the timer at 2.09, which I'm so pleased about. Hope everyone else is pleased with theirs?!?

Don't think the weather could have been better, cool breeze on the hills and enough sun to keep me warm in a vest top. Made it round without the loos, but was I the only one who found it hilarious on the way out of the city when all the guys just hit the bushes - not even a mile in!!! And a huge well done to the Leeds Tykes mascot who ran round in his tiger suit!

Have just spent the last 3 hours snaffling maltesers, peanuts, juice and jelly babies... so may be a little e-numbered up... but when's the next one??!?

• Options
    Tom Whiteley - not quite a chip time but what my Garmin 305 said after I started/stopped it on hitting the chip mats. Usually only a few seconds out from the official time.

Luckily I did get the correct sized t-shirt...even if it were too small, I'm sure someone I know could have fitted into it.

Must have missed that cool breeze, Whirley, unless you're referring to the last 2-3 miles or so as we approached the city centre when it did become cooler?

Missed that Leeds Tyke mascot. Suprised how few people semed to be in any sort of fancy dress compared to Reading - 3 girls as butterflies again (for some cancer charity?) but that was all I really saw.

Didn't have a clue what roads were which on the run. Also, somehow missed most of the mile markers or weren't they there? Saw 1,2 and then 11-13 but nothing else.
    Knew there was a drinks station around 9.8 miles from the map and my 305.
  • Options
    They were all there Scott - you must have been running too fast to see them!

I think some of them can be obscured by the Corporate Challenge runners to be honest.

I enjoyed it - perfect weather and a decent crowd to cheer everyone on. Third time I've run it and this year paced a mate round who was after a decent time - managed to get him round in a PB so he was happy. Well, he was after he nearly threw up at the end anyway.

We'd initially set off aiming for 1:35 and were on for around 1:33:30 when he announced at 9 miles that he was feeling good and fancied a go at his 1:32 PB. Fair play to him he managed it, but it'll be interesting to see how he feels tomorrow...

And yes, we were lucky with the weather - it truly is minging now and I live about a mile from the roundabout just past the 4 mile point. Thankyou running gods.
  • Options
    Racing Buffalo - I'm doing the Jane Tomlinson run.

Horrible outside now, but perfect running weather earlier. We were lucky there!
  • Options
    Decent enough day today.

According to the Garmin 2:01 but that includes a few seconds after then end when I forgot to switch it off but that might be cancelled out by me starting it at the wrong point! Some little way off a PB but decent enough in the circumstances.

Goodie bag sucked.

Nice to meet YP1, Stoxy, Amanda, NSC, Nicky et al after.

YP1 (respect) - I'll beat you one day.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    so, pumpkin peter, what's your problem with Sir Jimmy Saville, then?

;)
  • Options
    Ever see the Louis Theroux programme with JS?

• Options
    Hi Swittle - it's the shell suits...
  • Options
    Results are up at

Pleased with my race, even if I did miss a pb by 3 seconds!
  • Options
    I can beat you there Simon. I missed out on a PB by 1 second!!!
  • Options
    Martin,
    Maybe if we shave off some leg hair we can beat our pbs next time.
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Treiziste, yes, I did - and I was more concerned with Theroux's performance than his subject's

hi, pumpkin peter - yep, you might have a point there but it's the person inside who counts
  • Options
    Managed it in 1h48:56 according to the race results (4m32s slower than Reading)

At least it only took 1m40 to reach the start line after the gun went off compared to over 5 minutes last time!

Ended up, based on my chip time, in 1019th place.....not incredible but I'll beat that next year.

Not sure why my Garmin said 1h49:24 considering I started/stopped in on the chipmats - can't see where a 30 second difference has come from.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the race yesterday. Lucky with the weather. The course was pretty good. Kept me interested for the race. Knee gave way at mile 9 and hobbled to the finish, and is strapped up now. But glad I finished the race.
  • Options
    Hey how much fun was yesterday!!!

I got to the 7 mile mark at 1:08 after the killer hills and was really disheartened because i was trying for less than 2 hours!And thought there was no way i was going to make it! But then I crossed the finish at 2:06 but i was one of the starters right at the back so took a while to get across the start! Fingers crossed it was more than 6 mins.

Any one know where you can find your chip time?
  • Options
    Scott, I was having the same problem with my Garmin (301). I think the problem is caused by the auto pause function. I turned it off fot this race and the time was then spot on. I had it on at Rothwell and it gave a 20 second discrepency. I also had it on for one of the John Carr Races and off for the other. It was spot on again for the one where it was turned off and 10 seconds out for the other

Seems a bit odd though that the auto pause would kick in on the races where I had it turned on.

• Options
    The organisation has just got better, i like the way they have taken on board the safety concerns on previous years with the last 3 miles. The roads blocked off and the road coned off to make a safe lane to run in. Well done Leeds!
  • Options
    Last message on the previous page has a link to the chip times kiri. And my chip time was 5 mins different to my gun time so you may just be under 2 hrs.

Great to meet everyone in the pub after too.

Really pleased with my time-2:16:56! Dead chuffed as best before that was 2:14:21 on a flat course. Glad Im not the only one who thinks its hilly!! Had some snooty woman at the top of stonegate road telling everyone it was flat and easy. She had only done the two miles of the corporate challenge and when I corrected her and said the ring road was slightly hilly she seemed to be lacking in a sense of humour!!!

And the crowds did a lot of gawping and not a lot of clapping. Those who were clapping and cheering though, especially next to the abbey and at the leisure centre, did a great job. So thanks!!

• Options
    Great event... Had been told this would be a difficult half marathon to get a PB so was expecting the worst! Glad i did, the hills were a killer but the flats slightly made up for these. Ended up beating my great north PB (a flat course!) by over 4 minutes, did it in 1:36:57, well pleased with my time.

Well organised and plenty of water station's.

Will try again next year!
  • Options
    Did you have your name on the back of a white t-shirt Kiri?