Options

Leeds Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Stoxy, not stocy, sorry!
  • Options
    Will either see you before the race at the town hall or at the pub at midday.
    Cheers

nsc will f mail you.
  • Options
    I'll move myself up from probable to definite

Stoxy-purple kh vest-????
    Huge-spectating
    nsc and oh(but of course)
    YP1 and jelly babies (also purple KH vest)

Probables - please confirm. Ta.

Amanda s
    Andy from Embsay
    Treiziste
  • Options
    Yes I will def be there - will look for you at the start, then drink afterwards.
  • Options
    I'll be there for a swift half after.

Scarborough taps about 12?

Being as a I don't know anyone can someone email me a mobile number or something?

Ta.
  • Options
    Stoxy-purple kh vest-????
    Huge-spectating
    Andy from Embsay - plus a mate or two - fat bloke, no hair, comedically tall mate.

Probables - please confirm. Ta.

Amanda s
    Treiziste

• Options
    amanda s - which boozer were you in in embsay? Don't really use either of them very much - may change that once smoking ban comes in!
  • Options
    Afternoon all.
  • Options
    Right Guys. First half marathon. Don't know what to expect. Any words of wisdom.
  • Options
    Stick to your own pace. Make sure you are hydrated. Dont have ten pints and a curry the night before (no, seriously!). Make sure you are organised with number, change of clothes etc. Check out the route (you probably know a lot of it anyway Michael) and have some idea what to expect in terms of hills etc. And also water stations. You'll be surprised how the miles pass actually. Many people find this distance more comfortable than a ten k.

Oh and enjoy it. Apparently the crowds are quite good on this one.

See you for a pint in the Scarborough!
  • Options
    Stoxy

Thanks for the advice, thats great. Only thing I' am a bit wary of is Stonegate road all up hill!

The Scarborough, haven't been in there for a while. Great Pub!!!
  • Options
    what Stoxy says Michael!

don't get dragged along by the field into going quicker than you're comfortable with altho' Meanwood road will slow you down

and just run with a smile on your face and enjoy it - you only do your first once!

and yes, see you in the pub after for an indepth post mortem ;O)
  • Options
    Stonegate Road is a pain. But you get it over with fairly early on!!

Yes Scarborough is better than Becketts Bank I was thinking. And Becketts will probably be packed to the rafters as it is so close to the finish. Slightly more expensive but better quality all round:-)
  • Options
    This is my second half marathon, so still finding my way, when should I stop training, as I sit here in my shorts and vest!
  • Options
    Hi Michael

I wouldnt do anything more now. Maybe a couple of miles today to keep the legs going but nothing over the top.

I take it you have read the info re meeting up?

Having said that I am just contemplating whether to go to Circuit tomorrow night! Its as strenuous as you make it really and you can pick and choose your stations so Id like to do some weights and abs and stuff.

Advice appreciated !
  • Options
    well I'm just off for my weekly game of squash - hope to come off the court unscathed! Am planning to take it easier than usual.
    Andy - can't remember name of pub - it was on right hand side as you drive into village from Skipton, with a car park on the right just before. Not sure I'll be turning into a regular there!! Just like trying different pubs - I feel I've earned a few drinks after a run on the weekend.

Stoxy - take it easy circuit training!
  • Options
    That would be the Cavendish - a local pub for local people - not my favourite...

The Mason's up in Eastby is probably the best boozer thereabouts - just carry on through Embsay and follow the road towards Barden - it's on the right.
  • Options
    michael - all good advice you have been given, I totally agree no more running now until the big day, you want to go in super fresh. I haven't looked at the course at all, never been to Leeds am planning on getting taxi to hotel & then hotel pointing me in the right direction sun am for the start.

If anyone sees a chick with a kiwi on her back stuggling up the hill - give us a push on your way past!!!

Hopefully they have the wrist timing bands they are always really useful & totally agree don't take off with everyone at the start, much easier said than done!!!!

• Options
    Am starting to get a bit concerned about all the hills but feel a bit better now that someone's said it's not as bad as the GNR as that was my first half last year and I didn't find it too bad (although it's surpising how quickly you forget and put your rose tinted specs on!!). Oh well, fingers crossed and good luck to everyone taking part!
    Any tips for surviving it if it's chucking it down with rain though?
  • Options
    I lived in north Leeds until 6 years ago and I can't think of any section thats a killer. A couple of longish drags perhaps but nothing painful Don't worry about it.
  • Options
    I spent a long time worrying about the hills before the Leeds Half last year (It was my fist half marathon back then). Stonegate road is steep, there is denying it, but all the hills are in the first half of the race and I remembered getting past them before I'd realised and wondered what all the fuss was about.

So don't worry about the hills. Remember the golden rule, use the same effort for uphills as for downhills NOT the same pace.
  • Options
    Morning all

Yes they are more drags than hills as we know them in Yorkshire! Not the worst hills Ive ever done by any means! (I woke up in a sweat dreaming about trooper lane again last night......)

Treiziste- Has someone mailed you their number yet? Ill mail mine later if necessary.
  • Options
    Haven't checked Stoxy - thats on the home pc.

I know the Taps (but haven't been in for at least 5 years), just want to make sure I say hi to the right group of people.
  • Options
    Hi All, thinking of doing this half m, completed my second half marathon last sunday round the hills of keswick in 1hr42. Really pleased with that and want to do another.. how long should i be leaving between half marathon's for recovery??
  • Options
    Sparko -This one is sold out unless you have already entered. I am doing two halfs within a week in July. But I am a bit strange.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=53.7954,-1.54618|16|4&loc=GB:53.7954:-1.54618:16|ls1%205dy|LS1%205DY

Just thought Id post the link to the Scarborough Hotel map again so peeps dont have to read back. 12 pm onwards (sorry it doesnt open any earlier!).

Nsc-do you mean the owls outside the civic hall? In millenium square itself? The ornate gold things?
  • Options
    Stoxy-purple kh vest-4890
    Huge-spectating
    Andy from Embsay - plus a mate or two - fat bloke, no hair, comedically tall mate.
    Amanda s
    Treiziste
  • Options
    Im off see you all on Sunday!!!!!
  • Options
    Aww poop, didnt realise it was sold out srry.... i will try and find a similar one in the next few weeks.. any ideas welcome :)
  • Options
    Just out of interest Stoxy, is there any race you aren't doing?

I don't know how you have the energy. I need at least tow weeks to full recover from a half marathon.
  • Options
    My spelling/grammar etc is becoming terrible.
    Must be time to go home!