Options

2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

AGF - going by your run yesterday and mine today i'll be 8 seconds and 4% max behind you after 8M in Brighton imageimage 

What's your plan for HADD and which P&D are you doing ? ... i'll have to make sure i do a bit more training than you to keep up  image

• Options

No more marathons for me this year either, possibly no more races this year.
    I have let Elspeth know that I do not want an entry for S2S Ultra (Kinlochleven to Tyndrum) for my birthday this yearimage

• Options

Mace, In short I pan to build up from my 30 miles a week to be doing 40-55 Miles a week by christmas. Probably two weeks around 50 followed by a week at 30-40 Miles as a resting week.  Mainly slow running with a threshold or intervals each week.  Its probably "hadd - lite".    I think I will bust on the 55-70 Miles if I do the 18 week schedule - So I may do the 12 week schedule for 55/70 in an attempt stay injury free.

I did 3:34 last year so hope to smash 3:30 image

• Options

AGF mace JayC New Years resolutions so soon!

10 miles for me today - more enjoyable than last few runs

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

OH,

Sounds like a good plan.

• Options
    Hm4 no that was plan executedimage
  • Options

Bit of an hard going morning session (well, compared to what I've done the past couple of weeks!).  2x 4km cycles (to and from the gym, obviously), 5k on the dreadmill and half an hour of weights. Enjoyable up til it started to pour down on the way home. Ah well!

Despite my complete lack of activity in the last 2 weeks, my weight has dropped slightly to 77kgimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

It's been quiet on here today.  How has everyone been?

• Options

I registered for the Paris Marathon today. What a nightmare!

No running for me today although I have walked the dog a few times instead. 3 miles tomorrow and 2 on Friday before leaving on Friday night.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- well done on the resultimage

Tek - great pictureimage

Mace- improve on my PB? In Snowdon? Ummm, no!image

6.4m for me tonight. Legs are feeling better after massage, but piriformis stretches coming up in a bit. Looking at the perceived effort on a slow recovery run, it's pretty clear that I'm not over Chester yet....image Not going to be doing the planned Gwent League cross country this weekend- like I say, I'm not reday to race and it's not worth the risk

On a positive, got my Welsh Champs silver medal through the post today for Chester marathonimage

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Must be fab to get a proper medal jason, well done!

What date is Paris kaz, early April? Is that your favourite marathon?

Nice session Stuart.

Medical yesterday so starving until about 2pm after blood tests done. So as 2 years ago...and 4 years ago...still 1/4 lard, still 51kg, BMI 19.5ish. If I did not have 2 stone of fat to carry around I'd be so much faster image but no matter what I do I can't change my fat %, beginning to think it's just how I am.  The thing is if I lose weight I just know it'll be muscle! image

Great picture Teknik. A couple of me on Sunday at the link below.

http://www.action-heroes.co.uk/galleries2/HalfMar2012/index.html

F

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

So for the photos, first batch image numbers 107 and 109.

F

• Options
    Nice one Kaz, a replica of this year with a better result. Nothing wrong with this year but you have a score to settle image

Like the photos Fionaimage
  • Options

AGF - Thanx.....just hope I can settle it!!image

Fiona  - 7th April. I have only done two marathons so not sure about favourite? Its in the school hols so means me and my girls a nice wee holiday!! One week for them in Paris, accomodation and flights all booked so just training to go............image

A very excited household here..........2 girls packing for Amsterdam, as well as being high about Paris........this could be one very long day!!!image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Kaz,

Good luck for Paris.

Jason,

Excellent.  Are you going to post a picture of the medal on here?

Fiona,

I hate those type of blood tests. 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Thanks all for the comments on the piccie - didn't look so relaxed by the finish line!

Stuart - have done a max HR test yet?

YC how are the legs now?

jayc - well done at Studland and nice report

mace well done on getting back to training. If you stick to 50m Hadd weeks for base, you'll be able to do the P&D 12w/70m schedule...highly recommended if you stick to the low end of the HR ranges they suggest.

OH - LOL re S2S and well done on the 10m

Kaz - in case I miss you tomorrow, GOOD LUCK, go smash it upimage

jason hope you recover soon

F great piccies...both feet off the ground in both!

AGF - I'm thinking about getting a charity place for Brighton - I know it's quite flat, but does it get bunched up at the start?

HM hope you get out for that run today, and hope the arm's not too sore...

----

10m at 80%max this morning. Felt a bit rusty and sluggish. Still can't shake this cold....image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Hope you and your girls have a fantastic time kaz, very envious of you, I enjoyed Amsterdam last year. You have trained so well so go for it! image Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Teknik I'm thinking of the P & D 55-70 18 week schedule, never used their schedules before so may just pop in a few extra 20's and swap some recovery days for cross training but use the quality sessions to structure my plan around.

Hope the flu jab went ok HM4!

F

• Options

Tek and Fiona - Thanx......I am so nervous???image I have never felt like this before!!!

Forecast for Sunday is quite warm for me- 15 degrees but with an east wind, whatever that will mean!! Pacing wise I don't know whether to play it safe or push, and hope that all will be fineimage

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

I guess you'll know on the day kaz or at least once you've settled into the run. Good luck but whatever you do enjoy it! image

F

• Options

All the best Kaz - Enjoy! image

• Options

I think Jason ought to post a photo of the medal. It's the nearest I'll get to one image

Fiona - nice photos, good form airbourne in both!

Kaz - enjoy Paris and have a good race.

Couple of photos from Studland; looking reasonably comfortable at the 1 mile marker and then pushing hard for the line at the finish. Stupid idea, running on sand image

http://www.21cphotos.com/images/331/3423/121014162602_P.jpg

http://www.21cphotos.com/images/331/3422/121014162059_P.jpg

I must work on a better 'game face' image

• Options

Enjoy Kaz,

Tek,  If you are in the red pen in brighton there is no bunching. To get in the red pen you need to estimate a time below 3:45. You should do this. In the red pen you can very easily get to within 10-15 metres of front if you really want to. But there is no need. I was about 50 metres back and had no bunching was all runners of similar pace. I have had more bunching in a feild of 300 runners comapred to 8000 at brighton. If you are in later(slower) pens that it can take 5-10 mins to cross the start line and it maybe a slight problem.

The course is flat. the first 7-8 Miles has a few slopes( up and down) but at MP these are easy early in the race. Then from 8 Miles onwards is pancake flat.  I think its a better PB course than abingdon as you pass through brighton centre 3 times and there lots of support. abingdon is sparsley supported and your on your own a lot. At 3:34 pace there was plenty of space but also plenty of runners around to talk to/ run off.

Can only endorse as a great race !!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Didn't manage to get out and my arm is just starting to get back to normal.  Well done on the run.

• Options

Some good pictures coming out of the drawersimage

8.2 miles this evening  (5.1 with JS group) and rest with Els as before and afters

• Options

Kaz - Good Luck!image

Fiona - Nice pics

Tek - Good running. Not done a HR test yet, actually not sure how to do one to be honest. I think I read somewhere that you can just about max HR out during a 5k race? So I was thinking gunning parkrun on Saturday morning and seeing where that got me. Or is there a better method?

jayc - Good pics, looks like you're enjoying that sandimage

HM - Hope your arm is better soon

---------

5.9 miles slow for me this morning, was going to be 8 but didn't have time.

• Options

Tek,legs are getting back too normal fella,been running slowly these last couple of weeks and quite enjoying the relaxed feel of it all.Need to get a better base before i start my half mara programme for Alloa in March.Ive got a fair idea in my head of what my plans are for next year.Two main targets are.

1 Get my half mara time down to sub 1,45

2 A better build up in prep for another crack at an autumn marathon.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

That looks like a tough run jayc, great pics but soft sand in a race is just cruel!!

6 miles tonight on treadmill with 5 lots of 1,200m at 15k/hr and 200m recoveries. Achilles hurts a bit now, might be the new shoes as that's a new one on me! Rest day tomorrow anyway.

F

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Great pics jayc

Thanks AGF...very tempted nowimage

HM thanks and hope the arm's ok now

OH nice 8m

Fiona good interval session...take care of the Achilles

YC and Stuart. There's a great summary of Hadd HR training here on Fetch http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=434. The link to the original Hadd doc is broken but you can get it here http://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf.  Trust me, it's the best thing I ever did... 

Stuart - I don't think you'll hit 100% on a 5k (I last hit 96%). Better to do a flat out 800m then a 400m...

----

Rest day...1.5hrs of hot yogaimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

kaz- go, girl!!!image

jayc and fiona- nice picsimage

Fiona- rest that achilles.... I LIKE P&Dimage worked for me so far

5m for me tonight and legs starting to feel like my own again.

Picture of bling!image

/members/images/469713/Gallery/chester_WA_silver_2012_(478x640).jpg

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Don't look very happy though!image