Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

PF: I can't seem to PM you...can you drop me an email to alisoncjohn at gmail dot com? Thank you so much - are you sure you can spare it?

• Options
    Interesting comments about the crowd support. I personally felt that compared to the two previous years there seemed to be less people though those that were there were there were supporting well. But it could just be that I was concentrating more than previously, as TD said I think, individual perceptions. And not forgetting that I usually miss that large tower on the left somewhere...

Rob - yes got your messages (thanks) when I got back to uk, damned phone not working!!

Now to try and get hurty foot fixed so I can try and do London...
  • Options
    My halo is restored! One hour of study done! How much I actually took in a different matter!

Maus - I forgot to speak to you about the kettle. I will email or pm you. Sorry and thank you so much.
  • Options
    And... Back to work today. Blimey. I'm tired!

DLR - a pleasure to have coffee with you at La Defense yesterday pre-flight. Hoping to see you back to your best in Berlin.

Suzy - great photos, thanks!

MM - 'Le bonk' is the cycling term for hitting the wall! It happened early for me this year - at 30k last year. It'll be better next year. I hope.

Have a chilled day everyone.
  • Options
    Ps.

Keyser Suze - you out there? How'd you do? Missed you at Corcoran's, hope you'd a blast.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

OUCH.  DOMS has arrived and set up camp. OUUUUCH!

Where's everyone's photos gone?

• Options
    Anyone know what the number in brackets after your name is, in l'equipe? All seem to be lower than official time, some sort of of age/category related timing thing or something?

Planning on a day sitting at the desk with occasional trips to the coffee machine should I feel the need to look sort of awake....
  • Options
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

They might be my festive pants. They have magic restorative powers...but since JusT's a bean pole, I'm more than happy to be mistaken! 

I don't really do facebook either...

JusT is indeed a bean pole Mausy but you were looking exceptionally slinky too!

As for FB, if Iain can be encouraged/bullied/cajoled/blackmailed onto it you haven't really any excuse.

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

TP - it was great to see you, glad you made it through. I went on to bonk in the extreme after seeing you too! 

Did you really mean what I think this means, or is this yet another example of my Antipodean depravity?image

I thought it just meant the vision of you in your flowery pants was...er...inspiring!

• Options
    Morning all - still alive? Dannirr, Kaz (and Naomi), how are the innards? Hope everything's OK DV. I still very much owe you a pint for that copy of P&D.

On the subject of P&D, I can truly say it worked for me. I did the 12 week plan, which the book suggests is the absolute minimum you can do and still get round a marathon. However, it was by some way the hardest plan I've ever tackled. If I was using it again I would be tempted to do it over 14 weeks and build in a couple of slightly easier weeks, as it's pretty relentless. And I would do less in the taper. YM - at the finish line I heard the guy next to me say 'ooooft' loudly and thought of you (although he may have said it in French image ).

I think the 'other' time in l'Equipe is the time at 40k. They don't give that time in the results, but it would be about right for me. I have a copy for Jimbob.

Can someone post a link to the Wikipedia page - I seem to have missed that. And Weedy - er, congratulations, I'm sure you'll be very happy image ?

So, back to work. And it's raining image .
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    It's raining! How dare it!

Feeling a lot better today. Yesterday I was on the nurofen for my nippy psoas but it's settled down a bit today. I probably overdid the walking about yesterday too.

Ready started thinking about plans for after my break. And what I'll do differently. And how I can manage a permanent transition to neutral shoes. And....it gets under your skin this stuff, doesn't it? Like a permanent virus image

Running in the Guides was a big risk on Sunday as the longest runni had done in them was 11 miles, but they were really great. I was lusting after a pair of in yer face Saucony Kinvaras as the Expo but I think it'll be a good long time before I'm able for a 4mm drop.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

RS - I'm there. My name. I've dropped the '2' ! Berlin marathon 2011 photo, orange t-shirt. Befriend me!

You are friended.

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Was a lovely surprise to find out at the weekend that I'm married as well. Sadly her indoors lives in another country, but it's possibly the key to a successful marriage. We haven't had an argument yet and she doesn't seem to mind me leaving the toilet seat up, so i reckon she's a keeper image

Danni - hope you recover quickly. See you again next year?
    DV - Glad things are under control.

I got a spare L'Equippe in case anyone missed it (possibly two spare ones if Jimbob's already been sorted out by RR) Message me your address if you want one.

I'm not on Facebook either. If anyone's got pics, can they get them to me and I'll see if I can cobble something up? Might have to sign up for Facebook...knickers.

It's the perfect marriageimage At least you went from hubby #2 to brother... take your picimage

I'll post dropbox link to all of mine so you can have a look.

Le Jimbob wrote (see)
    IM2. I'll email you some nice photos, seeing as you're not on dirtybook. I've got your email address x

JB - lovely to meet you in person! Don't suppose you can email me photos - I don't really do facebook either...

For those that missed the first link: DROPBOX PHOTO'S

Alexander - I tried to reply to your PM but it wont let me image the link is above.

RR - I'm alive but my feet are blasting me.

We've had a rough 24 hrs. Hubby's gramps is very close to the end. We had to go and say goodbye yesterday night. I was already emotional after Paris (in a good way) and it took me a little over the edge image I just want you all to know that I think you're all a cracking bunch of people.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Ah yes P&D. It's a style of training that really suits me. I did the 18 week, up to 55 miles plan. Well, I say "did" in the loosest sense of the word in the the first 6 weeks were done on the bike and I must have missed another 8-10 runs over the following 12 weeks due to recurring injury.

However, I'll use it again as I really enjoy the variety and challenge. But as RR and I were saying in Corcorans, next time I will fiddle with the taper as for me, the mileage was just too high. I was scheduled to do 37 miles last week which was way too much and I felt like I wasn't sufficiently rested on Sunday.
  • Options
    Emmy - life strikes back unfortunately. Thinking of you at a difficult time.

Ps. To those who didn't get a copy of L'Equipe and want one - let me know. I have 2 spare.

Iain.
  • Options

Thanks so much for sharing the dropbox link, Emmy. I'm sorry to hear your grandfather-in-law is unwell.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

RS - Ive just seen our finishing video and its a cracker!

MM/IM2 - Thank you. He's been on the decline slope for a long time but really went downhill on saturday. I was personally never that close (he's had dementia ever since i've known him and he doesnt remember who I am) but seeing him yesterday was a shocker.

• Options

Morning all...

I looked over many of the photos from the weekend...  what a fabulous time this one was...

So..  how many of you will be back for more next year..?   Who's up for Paris 2014..?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Morning all...

I looked over many of the photos from the weekend...  what a fabulous time this one was...

So..  how many of you will be back for more next year..?   Who's up for Paris 2014..?

Count me in!

• Options
    kaz1 wrote (see)
    My halo is restored! One hour of study done! How much I actually took in a different matter!

Maus - I forgot to speak to you about the kettle. I will email or pm you. Sorry and thank you so much.

No problems. It was my pleasure!

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Morning all...

Count me in!

Yep. Me too.

DV: I never got to thank you for your support on those early kilometeres. I'm sorry you had to finish early.

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

As for FB, if Iain can be encouraged/bullied/cajoled/blackmailed onto it you haven't really any excuse.

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

TP - it was great to see you, glad you made it through. I went on to bonk in the extreme after seeing you too! 

Did you really mean what I think this means, or is this yet another example of my Antipodean depravity?image

I thought it just meant the vision of you in your flowery pants was...er...inspiring!

Ah, the missing 'le' threw me!

DLR I'll not have you besmirch the reputation of the good doctor, or my festive pants.

• Options
    MM--Thought the Barbarella recovery pants were great too--Know a lot of men who would have stuck to their training plan just to be able to chase them around Paris!
  • Options
    Thanks Emmy for posting the link for the images. Will have a chance to look when home later today.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Thinking of you Emmy...sad times.

As for next year, it depends on the date. Febo is getting married on 20th April but I want to come back. Sod Barcelonaimage

Have they put next year's date up yet?
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Thinking of you Emmy...sad times.

As for next year, it depends on the date. Febo is getting married on 20th April but I want to come back. Sod Barcelonaimage

Have they put next year's date up yet?

Why not do both?image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Budget won't stretch to both and the new Barcelona date isn't good for me now image
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy - hugs

Just having a look at the videos. My finishing section isn't up yet but the good news is that it looks like I can get hold of the video in the same way as last year.

I will begin the process of putting together the finishers video ASAP .

Next year? Not sure yet. Still fancy VLM or Barcelona. Don't think I could do 2 in quick succession. However, I'm going nowhere, this thread is my online home.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Emmy - hugs for you and your man. Loving our videos! Finish one is brilliant we even got the hug in!!
  • Options

Emmy, sending hugs.

I'm really temped with Barca, will check the new date, didn't know it had changed. 

Can't wait to see the photos....mine / hubby's are fun, will try and get some up on our BLOG at some stage.

Pouring with rain here, just loading my garmin and the long underpass really screwed the reading, so am wondering if that has anything to do with the two times in the newspaper?  anyone know what that's about?

Hope everyone is ok.

• Options

Sporty Badger wrote (see)

My race was not helped by a training campaign blighted with injuries and a final night's sleep in our apartment interrupted with an erroneous pizza delivery at 1am!!!

The pizza you ate at 1:05am may have affected your race as well.... image

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Apr 8: Alexander's birthday.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 14: Edinburgh Rock N Roll Half - Helterskelter.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Keyser Suze, Straycelt.
    Apr 27: Shakespeare Rotary Marathon - Richard L.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan. Sunderland Half - Iain M.
    May 1: Montauban 18k - Onetit.
    May 3: North York Moors Marathon - Weedy.
    May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
    May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
    May 9: Trois Rocs Trail Ultra - Onetit.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Chester Half - Dave The Ex Spartan. Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 25-26: Chislet 24-hour challenge - DV.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - DJ Wolf, Tiddy, Weedy, NCane. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 22: Hadrian's Wall Ultra - Richard L, Weedy.
    Jun 23: Alnwick Half - Iain M. Shrewsbury Half - Yer Maj. Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 4: Peachtree 10k - Danni.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16: Hamsterley Forest Marathon - Weedy.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - Emmy, Helterskelter, Iain M, Maus, RR, TD.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Jul 30: Maus' birthday.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Aug 17: Helsinki Marathon - Pottermoss.
    Sep 7: Aberfeldy Marthon - Clag.
    Sep 8: Run to the Beat Half - Jimbob.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, RS, Tiddy, Weedy.
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
    Oct 6: Barcelona Tri - Simon Mac. Cardiff Half - Yer Maj. Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 13: Chicago Marathon - Danni. Marine Corps Marathon - Iain M, Rick James.
    Oct 20: Amsterdam Marathon - Megs, Weedy. Yorkshire Marathon - Malcs.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy. Venice Marathon - Elizabeth.
    Oct 28: Dublin Marathon - James B.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 2: DLR's birthday.
    Nov 24: Florence Marathon - Engineer.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 6: Newcastle Racecourse Marathon - Weedy.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Mar 1: RS's birthday.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday. Peter B's birthday.

Oct 27 - Marine Corps Marathon (DC, USA):  IanMoore2, Rickjames, Fanf

• Options

Hello all, I've been wading through the last twenty pages of the forum but unfortunately work calls (and I was getting a little teary as well, tbh)

Fantastic run for me - 4:22, which is a PB by 20 minutes from last year's London, and I ran the whole thing too, unthinkable this time last year. The weather was absolutely perfect, my nose is a bit pink and the course was lovely. 

Couldn't manage to get to Corcorans on Sunday night - the heart was willing but the body was definitely weak! Was there in spirit though. 

Thank you so much to the supporting crew - I loved that flag wholeheartedly every time I saw it, and you could see it from miles away! Mr KS enjoyed having you cool cats to hang out with too, and he admitted to me that you'd been on a double decker train - that's one of my life ambitions, jealous!

The best sign I saw was 'Finishing is your only f***ing option' (although expletive was not censored). A close second was 'run like zombies are chasing you'.

Any advice on what to do about blood blisters, gratefully received. 

Now, who else is doing London apart from Eggy and I? Onwards!