Giants Head Marathon - June 2013

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I'm with GB - I briskly walked uphills on the South Downs (and other hilly events) and actually overtook people attempting to run up them. Under 4hrs also.
    I personally don't care if people think walking even a few steps disqualifies me as a marathon 'runner'. How many marathons has the boss man run?

• I had the same as you on South Downs Dustin - briskly walked up the steep bits, overtaking plenty of people, and finished in 3:57

Striding is significantly quicker than trying to run anyway, and lets you heart rate calm down a bit

• I must admit, I would personally be disappointed with myself if I resorted to walking on a flat or gently hilly route (injury aside), but that's my problem. 

• I didn't use to let myself walk any part of races I'd entered, then I took part in a fell race and found myself in a line of people and having to walk, after that the absolute rule was broken and I take each event as it unfolds.  This is the first one that I've ever come to expecting to walk part of it though.  If the message I'd been getting was that this was an elite runners event, and running it all was the expected standard, then I'd want to respect that and not take part - but luckily for me that's not the case.

• He's done one, GB, (Berlin last year in 4.16) so he's now a fully qualified  adviser image. I'm with Chiilies with regard to gently hilly routes, it's the ones like this one where it evidently ISN'T gently hilly that I mean. It's my first ever marathon, so I was going to run/walk it and then train to completely run Chester in October..... Right or wrong, that's my plan. I thought I'd ask opinions from peeps image

• Steve, I'm doing Chester too .. what are you aiming for ?  (I won't ask what you are aiming for for GHM, as my goal is just basic survival ... and as for walking part of the course ... you may well find me crawling some of it !!)

• Dustin and Chillies are way ahead of me then in terms of hilly trail maras, I just crept under the 5 hr mark at last years Southdowns Mara. (mind I hadn't done any training since the VLM)...

I shall be walking up the hills short, steep or longimage I may well be keeping Bruce company  by the sounds of things..

• Invite your boss to our marathon if he can run all the hills he will probably win it.

I dare anyone to run the hill out of Batcombe in fact I shall be standing at the little ford watching you all sprint up hill 9 mile 20

LOL
  • Best you get yourself a chair, I may be a while.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I have walked up hills in training but I tend to 'run' up them as I'm still faster when running. Not saying that I won't be overtaken. Last week I was 'running' up a hill with a walker behind me keeping pace. However i could not have walked up the hill at his pace. 

If I can run up a hill at mile one I may not be able to run up that same hill if it presented itself to me at mile 14. if I have 26 miles and 11 hilss I will probably have to walk at some point just to finish.

Think the most important thing here is to enjoy what you do, not cause yourself pain.

• mrs. hog - mousey wrote (see)

Think the most important thing here is to enjoy what you do, not cause yourself pain.

This image

• goldbeetle wrote (see)
    Invite your boss to our marathon if he can run all the hills he will probably win it.
    I dare anyone to run the hill out of Batcombe in fact I shall be standing at the little ford watching you all sprint up hill 9 mile 20
    LOL

If its as bas as we fear, this may not be wise for your coninued health and well-being !

*packs baseball bat for mile 20 ... just in case !*

• Bruce, my plan for Chester is under 5 hours. It'll only be my 2nd marathon, as stupidly, I decided to make this my first one. I'm not the fastest runner, but if the training goes well, I'd like to crack the 5 hours. I'm doing the GHM just for the laugh, and the satisfaction of it. Nobody at work knows about this one less pressure and grief about what I'm doing or not doing in training if I say nowt
  • I'm pleased that most people have a similar outlook to me on the walk run thing. Sod the boss's opinion then, I'll just have to enjoy myself
  • Bruce, my plan for Chester is under 5 hours. It'll only be my 2nd marathon, as stupidly, I decided to make this my first one. I'm not the fastest runner, but if the training goes well, I'd like to crack the 5 hours. I'm doing the GHM just for the laugh, and the satisfaction of it. Nobody at work knows about this one less pressure and grief about what I'm doing or not doing in training if I say nowt
  • I had a bad time at Chester image

• Steve,

read a book called 'Born to Run' its truly inspirational.  I run because I love to get outside and run - not for keep fit, not for the health benefits and I don't care what anyone thinks about me walking up the hills.  Running makes me feel good, don't know why maybe because its a bit primal.  I have thrown my marathon plan in the bin because its for young pups hell bent on macho time dominance who have not got 42 year old legs scarred with sports injuries.  Lets get our daps on and get muddy dude !  On a separate issue my thoughts are with the Boston Marathon runners and there families - I can only begin to imagine what those poor people have been through.

• Christian, consider it bought. Muddy's good. As long as I have a good laugh and finish, I'm happy
  • Signed up today image

Just hope to finish. Its my first marathon!

• Mine too TheVicar. Looks like we're equally mad. I've said before on this thread that I'd take 2nd last, in one second under the time limit
  • There is, and assuming no change, the cut off time is 7hrs.  After that, if we're still running, it's because we've fallen in love with the hills.

• Ah even I could possibly sneak in under the 7 hour mark image I won't curse it though. As long as I get round before it gets dark, I'll be happy! Starting to think perhaps I should have chosen something not so errrrm hilly! I live down the road so I can't really say no, plus the views will be amazing!

• There are a few of us who just want to get around in one piece within the time limit, fingers crossed we'll all make it - and they'll save some cake and beer for us.

• We'll all make it. My view was, do a stupidly hard marathon for my first one, then a relatively flat one I have for no2, Chester in October, will be 'easier'. May live to regret that way of thinking. Looking forward to a great social run, walking if I need to. Simples
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

TheVicar, don't forget to work in the stop at mile 20 for tea and cake. You'll need to add an extra 20 mins. (There's going to be a lot of snogging as well) image

• Snogging? Good job my missus ain't coming then
  • I thought we'd been promised cider at 20 miles. image

• 20 Miles Tea cake cider and a snog, the lack of cucumber sandwiches isn't good. It's practically what Vicar's live off! Is it a female thats handing out the snogging? I'm not fussy but a women is preferredimage

• If it's all the same, I'd be just as happy with a cup of Chai and/or some Fentimans ginger beer.   As for the snogging, I don't just give it away you know, I need romancing first.  image