Options

Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Badgerboy yes I am in awe just looking for some inspiration for Abingdon as i'd like to do it in the cut off time!!

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Murph, is that bib still going?

• Options

I did a 21 on Thursday which originally was planned for the Friday. I didn't have a good tea the night before and breakfast and lunch wasn't great either. Combined with 22 muggy degrees all combined as a recipe for disaster. I was planning on MP + 35/40 secs and was fine for about 8 miles, then it all became a real struggle. I had five gels in all and plenty of water but I really really struggled. I should have stopped at 18 but stubbornly carried on and really bonked. Got home and was completely exhausted couldn't stand up in the shower and was shaking feeling really rough. Went to bed and completely crashed waking up half an hour later and was sick and shaking. Recovered after a few hours but it wasn't pretty, lesson learnt I'll be carving up the night before any future long runs now. Finished the week off pretty well with a decent interval session followed by 35 mins @ MP so no lasting damage done but at least I've got my rubbish run out of the way (there's always one!)

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Ouch, I hate those odd bad runs.

I did 16 miles on Friday with 13.1 at MP. Was hard going but didn't feel too bad afterwards. I feel like I have plenty of endurance so just working on a bit more speed endurance as that has been missing since VLM.

Am feeling a lot more confident now.
  • Options

Yep I know that feeling too, my bad run was one earlier last week, went ouit for an easy 8 miles with a mate who is recovering from injury - I thought I was going to die! It was scarily hard, no idea why, think it was probably not eating particularly well for the previous couple of days and a half marathon on the Sunday all together was just one run too many.

That was wednesday, but to prove that one bad run can mean nothing I did a 22 miler at mp+40 secs on Friday with a negative split so confidence restored.

• Options

As yet I don't have a number, however, it would be nice to come back to this race. I shall try not to be stupid this time.

Nice to see some of the old sages still banging good mileages and good times, and an encouraging wave to the new friends that I've yet to meet.

(16 miles for me today, 13 were very nice thankyou, and 3 were from a D-List horror film).

• Options

Go on Blisters you know you want to. thres only 12 people on the fetchie list.

• Options

BadgerBoy- as it says on the race website, the race will be closed down after 5 hrs.  Obviously you can still complete the run but the road closures in the final mile will be lifted and the marshals stood down so you might want to take a map of the route with you.

• Options

I understand that Shadowfax. If I'm not at least in with a chance of sub-5 I won't be at the starting line, and if I do go a bit over 5h then I'll content myself with the time from my own watch.

• Options

I'd think that the finish line would continue for a bit beyond the 5 hour marker. It's inside the Stadium, and they are nice people. The last time I did it in 4:17 and there was no signs of it closing down imminently. In 2012 there were 25 people who had official results after 5 hrs.

6.5 miles today. Acting like a runner. Just the other 20 to do.

• Options

Some leeway will be given to those who are going to be finishing around the 5hr mark- after all its difficult to predict a finsihing time some miles out.

• Options

This weeks long run went a lot better. 7 miles @ MP + 25 secs, 6 miles @ MP + 15 secs and 6 miles @ MP with a milaswarm down to take it to 20. Felt fairly comfortable but was tired towards the end. Off on holiday today so it's damage limitation for the next two weeks. I hope everyone's training goes well over that time!

• Options

MG, that's a good run, very much a confidence booster.

It looks like I'll be getting a number now.

Training starts next week with a 26.2 miler.

• Options

training will strat for this in 3 weeks time.just in time to start the taper...I hope there is some nice views on what will be a long day jogging/walking image

• Options

Why push too hard Seren? My last marathon I did with a 2 week programme. One of training, one of taper. It seemed to work up to 23 miles. The next 2 were hard, and the last one is always fun.

• Options

Entry available for transfer - PM if interested. Thanks

• Options

Hi Seren Nos, I see you've joined us instead of doing Llanelli!? I'm afraid the views aren't as pretty as on the estuary but you'll get lots of views of the Didcot cooling towers!

• Options

Abingdon's one of the prettiest places around. Ancestral home of the MG Car Company, and a true example of the history of Britain in a microcosm. The Thames there is as pure as can be, yet threatening. Britain wouldn't be Great without industry, and Oxfordshire still grows wild teasel (what?) which was used to tease wool, and make the woven coarse blankets soft (mainly Witney I know). The leather works were the reason for MG setting up there, partly there was available land and labour, but they did supply leather for carburettor parts as well as seats.
    Off the back of that industrial growth the demand for power led to a series of electrical generation facilities. The proximity to Oxford meant that Abingdon was ideal as a base for high tech "thinking" businesses, as well as high tech manufacturing. Milton enterprise and industrial park to you. So before you knock the somewhat boxy buildings for their lack of scenery, just ask where your next MRI scanner will be coming from.
    Of course, I only know about construction, and the natural gravel beds, source of material for the building blocks of Britain, literally.

Sorry, I seem to have gone off on one.

• Options

Blisters do you (or anyone else) know what the entry fee was? I am transferring my entry to another runner and can't remember how many ackers it was.

• Options

I have supported at abingdon a couple of times so it will be a change to run it........shame i won't be in a fit state to race it as it looks a good course to race

I paid £36 for an affiliated place Poacher

• Options

Don't worry Blisters - I know and love the old town hall and the delights of East and West St Helen's Streets (and the shop of wonders that is Patisserie Pascal - the best patisserie this side of the Channel!). Sadly, my memory is also scarred by the horror of the precinct and the Peachcroft wastelands! Truly a town of two halves!

• Options

Definitely out now, still carrying a foot injury that I've had for 8 weeks now, think I'll stick to 10Ks for the foreseeable future although I may try again next year.

• Options

Hello Aboites!image

I've been away for most of 2 weeks camping and  travelling. Training is progressing nevertheless ... 20.2, 20.3, 19.5 (hilly) and 22.3 long runs over the past four Sundays. The first two went well, with some good progressive hard miles at the end ... the 19.5 mile one was slow (due to Purbeck hills!) and the  22.3 mile one wasn't good at all ... I raced a 5K parkrun flat out day before and didn't refuel well during the Saturday ... I then headed out at 7am before breakfast on Sunday and bonked at 19 miles. A bit like Martin, I felt dreadfull the rest of the day! So, day off today to recover! 

• Options

Does anyone know when the race packs get sent out?

• Options

Jamie, the blurb from the organisers is very precise. It's almost like the transfer window.

"towards the end of September"

There's no need to panic. In fact, I wouldn't normally expect a chipped race to be packed and issued until a couple of weeks ahead.

Dr Dan. That's some heroic running going in there. 4x 20's on consecutive weekends. No wonder it caught up with you. Take the afternoon off. What are you going to be like when it comes to peak training? Hey, I reckon you're going to be rattling when it's taper time!
    (Long time no "see", btw).

My training is going to start (gently) in two weeks time.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I have a place for sale if anyone wants it. Injured I'm afraidimage please let me know if interested.

• Options

I've also got one up for grabs, let me know if your interested.

• Options

No rush Blisters image ... plenty of time yet image.

And how's the simulated drowning goingimage? I have been remiss on that front this year.

• Options

Good run of LSRs there Dr D! Purbeck is a very nice place to run. Just starting training in two weeks blisters image

Martin excellent 10k there and quality training. Those totally exhausting long runs do happen sometimes - I remember a particualr 25 miler pre VLM a couple of years ago where I genuinely thought I was about to die and couldn't even get off the floor for half an hour!

Back off two weeks hols in France myself now. Managed an 18 mile hilly off-roader, and a very nice 20M road run, spot on target of 2:30. Both were before breakfast, but handily I could just laze around for the rest of the day! Hamstrings are still causing me grief, and overall mileage is way below what I'd have liked for this point in the build-up, but at least I seem to be able to do the long runs, so no offering up my place just yet image

Plan is for a 20+ tonight running home from work.

• Options

Hi DS2 and Nonstick.... I'm interested in buying the bib from either of you?

Just drop me a DM to arrange further image