Options

Great North Run 2014

Comments

• Options

Bearsted, They are amazingly consistent mile splits from start to finish. Nice one.

• Options

Narrow Feet - I may not be the quickest but what I do do well is constant pacing - my Manchester marathon was the same - I get into a rhythm and don't come out of it until my legs give in

• Options

Hi Wee Col - did you get the photo I emailed you of me, you and Dasher Dart in the Sanddancer?

I've only done 2 runs since the GNR and they've both been really tiring on my legs.  On my 5 miler tonight it felt like the whole of my left leg was gradually seizing up on me - my quad, my hamstring and my calf.  My right leg however is fine.

• Options

Hi Shielsy, My run yesterday was the first I've done that felt even close to normal. Nevertheless, I feel really happy just running at the moment. The hard sessions can wait a few more days!!

• Options

Hi Shielsy. I got your pic thanks - I felt better than I looked.  Despite having a decent run on Saturday my legs went downhill from the afternoon onwards and I've now got a tender left calf. No running now until Thursday at the earliestimage.

• Options

Havnt done much since the gnr, went out and did a 3 miler on sunday to watch a local 10k, didn't have it in me to enter 

anyway, sat sees the first park run in town so I am up for that, never done a park run before so should be fun.

i have talked a friend into the gnr next year already ! Hoping to talk another into getting a place also

• Options
    No London again - 5 years of rejections and counting. Really fancy an ultra instead 'the wall' sounds good to me
  • Options

Have they started to send out the VLM rejection/you're in magazines?

• Options

London not calling for me as well BP.

• Options
    Anyone up for 'The Wall' next year
  • Options

I'm not in for VLM either :S

• Options

I've only heard of people getting the "Sorry" magazines today.  I've not heard a single "Yay!" from any VLM Balloteers!

• Options

*ducks to avoid RLTW*

Hi Bob! *waves*

• Options

Can't even be bothered to unwrap my magazine.  What is the point of it? I'm not going the charity route they just ask too much. Is there any other reason to open it?

The sad thing is - there must be thousands in the same boat as me.  We all just want a chance to have a go.

• Options

I would love to know how the ballot system actually works.

• Options
    Wouldn't we all. Mate of mine has only gone into ballot 3 times (last 3 years) and got in each time. He no special runner just same times as me. It would suggest it is a pure lucky dip - if so that is fair but I do wonder
  • Options

I think far more places go to charities, clubs, celebrities, good for age, etc than anyone would know.  Then there's the deferred ones too.  Probably only a very small amount left for the ballot.

• Options

As you all know from fb, I wondered the same myself yesterday.

There is a much better chance of getting in the GNR ballot. I know there are a lot more runners than for London, but I do feel the organisers for London are far more interested in the charities than us mere mortals who just run for fun or to stay in reasonable health.

Ok, so that is a good thing, but to see people year after year after year getting rejected is not really fair. At least with the '5 years and you're in' rule there was light at the end of the tunnel but now that's been taken away there just seems no point in entering (I didn't this year).

For a lot of us the charity route is out of the question too. To try and raise 1000's of pounds, rather than a couple of hundred, is just too much for a lot of people.

It seems to me that if you don't have a large circle of people in your life willing, or able, to sponsor you, or you are a faster runner, then you have very little chance of experiencing what is an amazing race.

Sorry for the rant and I hope I haven't offended anyone but it was just something I noticed when I read through my fb newsfeed last night.

• Options

Mandie not a rant just common sense - I had the charity we support contact me to ask if I wanted to do it for them but it would have needed £1,900 sponsorship - this was not possible as so far this year Mark (Son) has raised £1,200 for them with his 50hr non stop radio show and Laura raised £620 for them in GNR. I cannot go back to people who have helped my 2 raise those monies and ask for more. London has to be done once more as it owes me after a bad run in 2009 (inexperience) so I will keep applying each year and hope one comes good. I was first group of people to miss out on 5 year rule all though at time (last year of Flora race) Virgin did say they would fulfil commitment to those from that year then changed their minds.

Well that's my rant over as well

• Options

I'm not in either, but probably just as well seeing as i haven't run a step since June.

Hello everyone ~waves~

• Options

Hi Fiona good to hear from you

• Options

Hi Fiona.

BP - your London experience sounds very similar to mine. I ran it just the once too and it was the same year. I fell at mile 6 and bruised my chin, knees and elbows and somehow managed to survive the rest of it whilst fighting crippling cramps in both my legs. Steve ran it alongside me and, whilst he was doing his best to gee me along, he just savoured every single amazing moment of the whole experience.

I have always said I would love too do it again just to experience what he did, but I doubt I will get the chance, as for both of us to get in via the ballot in the same year are somewhat impossible.

As you say, the sponsorship amounts do get harder once you have raised a lot in the first place. I used to ask around in work but people got fed up of me asking and they also now tell me that a marathon isn't such a challenge for me anymore as I have completed 6 in total image.

• Options

Mandie - spot on I did not want to say that but actually a marathon is not a challenge to me anymore (apart from time). I am seriously considering doing ultra's from now as a new challenge after all I am getting old now so PB's are so much harder to get and I cant just run for the hell of it (unless I am pacing another runner like I did with Laura at GNR).

• Options

Bearsted - fancy the Lightning Run in May?

Stringy and I are going (as far as I know) image

Hi Mandie - I think your comments and everyone else's are spot on image

• Options

Guess what...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PJSib_k0nNw/UkXoqqJVKzI/AAAAAAAAF3M/ccH1SFKp5uk/w365-h553-no/1275585_10201123274138605_1518565645_o.jpg

Not really surprised. I think that's my 4th or 5th attempt in the ballot and my last. I really want to run it but I'm sick of trying.
    Gonna give it 8 years and try again for my 50th.

Anyhoo...as Vixx mentioned. I've set my long range target of the Lightning 12hr run in May.
  • Options

Ah!! those days of waiting for my 50th birthday

Vixx - Sounds good but I am going to wait to set my calendar up for next year till after the York marathon in 3 weeks depending on my time there will depend what i want to do in April/May next year. But all in all i would be up for it as well as TR24 if it fits in.

• Options
    Narrow feet wrote (see)

My reaction to getting into the VLM will either be 'Bugger, rejected again.' or 'Bugger, I'm in. A winter of hard training ahead of me.'

Bugger