Options

Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Options
    whoops, guess I didn't put my question too well .... I'm pretty sure 15 miles won't get me throughimage and I do loads of 20 and 22s . what I meant to ask was is a hilly run of 15 plus longer runs on the flat and with MP sections ok or do I need to bite the bullet and do some of my 20 milers up that darn hill as well?

malcs: wow, that was some session!! Hitting some impressive paces. sweet!!

Freemers: yeah, horses are scary. You never know when they freak out. Hope you can shake the cold.
  • Options

Malc - sounds like you enjoyed the hill reps.  My schedule has them in quite regularly, so I'll make sure I do them at a nice sensible pace in future.

12 miles yesterday made 32 total for the week.  3 miles recovery run today in horrendous weather.  I was struggling for motivation to get my trainers on but did it eventually.  3 miles in the bag.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Guess what, it's Week 2! 

TODAY'S SESSION

Week2 - Monday

Rest

Will do some stretching and possibly a few strength exercises.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - we're staying in Llanelli. Will be meeting up with Jenf and sub5 Gareth at the parkrun on Saturday. There was even a suggestion that Seren might join us too (I believe they get the red carpet out when a forum legend visitsimage )

Simon - sad that people can get away with such things but great to hear you're back running. 

Steve - sounds like the xc went more than ok! First in your age group - doesn't get alot better than that. Must have been very satisfying to beat a former rival too image

Freemers - many thanks. Those 15 weeks are going to fly by at this rate. 

Totally agree with your horse tactic. Wouldn't fancy spooking one of our equine friends and copping a hoof to the face. 

Sorry to hear about the cold. I hope it's one of the nicer 3-day varieties. I had one recently - best kind of colds. Last year I had a real nasty one that took me out for two whole weeks.

Take it easy!

Sticky - see above, in Llanelli (near Swansea). Weather is terrible today. Picked the rest day well!

chickadee - many thanks! I'm hoping that the answer to your question is that 15 on the hill is fineimage

lou - yes, loved the hill reps but that could have something to do with being cooped up in a car for 4 hours image

Well done on getting out in the horrid weather!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Forgot to post up the schedule for week 2 so here it is:

WEEK TWO Dec 23-29 (approx 30M)

Mon Rest
    Tue 4M of 1M jog, then 12 x 200m at mile/5km speed (approx 45-50 secs) with 200m (or 1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 5M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 42 mins)
    Thu 5M of 1M jog, then 3M at half-marathon pace (22 mins) then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat Parkrun or 30 mins fartlek (approx 4M)
    Sun 12M easy (approx 9:00 miles in 1 hours 48)

• Options

Malc - Have you wimped out on some biking today on your rest dayimage?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha image not sure where that came from? I don't have a bike down here so it would be a struggle. Even if I did it would be a challenge staying vertical in this wind! image

I definitely feel like I'm wimping out though being inside while others are out running in the hurricane.

• Options

Hi Malcs - we've spoken on Gareth's forum but I'm following yours with interest too as I'm hoping to challenge 3:30 for my Spring marathon although I'm targeting Worcester so will be about 3 weeks behind you in terms of schedule.

Will hopefully have chance to say hello face to face at the Llyn Lech Owain parkrun on the 28th - be good to see some more new faces there.  It's an excellent trail run, 2 laps with a nice uphill climb to enjoy... although the section through the woods might be a bit heavy with all the rain were enjoying at present!!  I will be doing the Xmas Day run there too.

Definitely think your wimping out though as this "wind" is merely a stiff breeze for Llanelli and South Walesimage

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hi _Bill_ , my apologies, I forgot you from my LLO parkrun forumite list image

I have done the parkrun there once before and really enjoyed it. I hope it isn't too muddy there - need all the help I can get at the moment. 

That's great that you're going for 3:30 too!

Ha ha image What can I say, I have to stick to the programme and Steve says rest so I'm not arguing with him image

• Options

having trouble persuading my hubby  that we should travel to llyn llech as it will be 120 mile round trip.........and we have 5 park runs here within 12 miles from the house

• Options

Difficult to justify a 120 mile round trip with 5 parkruns so close.  I only managed to get to Cardiff Parkrun twice (80 mile round trip) before Llyn Lech started - a 13 mile round trip for me

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

120 miles! I'm not surprised. Sorry, I thought you were nearby. Lord no, take the local option. Whilst it would be great to meet you, that is far too far to go. 

Whereabouts in Wales are you then?

• Options

near caerphilly in the south

• Options

Malcs When you said you were being summoned to the card table, was this to write the xmas cards or are you on a poker school hols? image

• Options

re the long, hilly run - yes 15 should be enough or alternatively do a 20 mostly on the flat but go up one longer hill around the 15 mile mark

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Seren - aha! My cousins used to live in Caerphilly. 

SupermanRuns - ha ha image Poker school would be brilliant!

Sadly it was neither Poker or Christmas cards. You may have missed my reply to millsy earlier - it was cards with the kids. Newmarket in this case. I'm never playing it again. Far too painful.

How's your running going? Were you out today in the big storm?

• Options

Malcs, I've been on here all day waiting for a report on your rest day.  You may think you can just vanish and not talk about your training for days on end and no one will notice, but Im watching you image

• Options

Well in my wierd Malc- minus-1-week plan, today was supposed to be a three mile easy run, but I did four, didn't have my watch just a nice easy run with no drama.

we rarely get the worst of the weather here, bit windy but nothing dangerous.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol image Angela, if you really want to know, I'll be happy to bore you senselessimage 

Currently I'm watching Mrs Malcs wrapping presents, correction - attempting to wrap presents. It's soooo painful!

She has just made the mistake of cutting a 'not quite big enough' piece of paper. To be fair, this is a very common mistake amongst amateur wrappers and she recovered well by making used of said sheet on a smaller item. However, and this is what had me rolling my eyes in disbelief, she has just made exactly the same mistake again!

Once is ok, but twice is unforgivable! Wrapping paper is a fixed width which remains constant no matter how many times you cut it. How can that observation not have registered after the initial error was made?

I don't think I can bear the torture any longer. Intervention is inevitableimage

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - nice one! Malc-1, I like it image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

As I'm probably going to do this early I'm breaking with tradition and posting this up tonight.

TOMORROW'S SESSION

Week2 - Tuesday

Intervals

4M of 1M jog, then 12 x 200m at mile/5km speed (approx 45-50 secs) with 200m (or 1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

• Options

Why would you cut the paper off before you had checked it would fit around the present?

• Options
    Great thread Malcs! A good read. Enjoy the break and your 5 mile run on Xmas day!
  • Options

haven't you finished the intervals yet Malcs.........

Hope the weather is kind with you.otherwise they could be 200m swim intervals......image

when you are trying to wrap lots of presents quickly and with minimum waste then it is easy to cut some pieces a little short.especially if alcohol has been consumed to help the process image

• Options
    Hope Mrs. Malcs is done with the wrappingimage

Thanks to coach Steve for getting back on the hill issue.

supposed to do a 10 miler today but not so sure what with the wind. oh well, grin and bear it I guess. What doesn't kill you and all that ....
  • Options

I got some paper with a grid printed on the back, brilliant.

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hope you weren't out it that horrendous hail storm Malcs! I'd been back indoors 5mins when it came down. I have a rest day tomorrow (smug)

present wrapping is a dying art!

• Options

In these conditions, Welsh runners need to go Caerphilly?

I didn't run yesterday not so much because of the weather (which was awful)  but because had family committments (took Nephews and nieces (actually great as they are my nieces children which makes me sound even more ancient)  to Cinema, Pizza Hut, Namco Arcade (as Winter Wonderland shut because of weather) and Hamley's store and wallet now much lighter even if i'm not.

Good club hill session this morning as Crystal Palace track shut later and well over 20 from club did it. Because of day off, felt ok though I'm sure the large pizza, garlic bread, salad bowl  and cookie dough slowed me on last rep. 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

SESSION REPORT - Wk1 Tue (run 1)

Christmas Eve was always going to be busy so I tried to get out early for this one. Unfortunately it was 9:30 before we ventured out the door. 

Mrs Malcs accompanied me - penance for the present wrapping crimes of the night beforeimage However, she binned out of the intervals and left me after the 1 mile warm up to do a nice steady run round town.

Believe it or not the sun was shining! It was windy though and a little nippy but not too cold. The first few reps went really well then I felt I slowed a bit over the next few (as the splits showed afterwards). I managed to pick it up for the last few though and overall I was very pleased.

I didn't feel quite as good as I did on the hill reps but not at all bad. Could put this down to doing this pre-food as opposed to the hill reps which I did early evening after a load of sweets in the car image

The clouds came over by the end and it started to come down just as I got in the door - a lucky escape.

Run stats: 4.44 miles in 37:35. 1 mile warm up with 12 x 200m reps (in 43-49s aim was 45-50) with 1 min rests. About 0.85 mile warm down.

Splits: 48, 46, 43, 48, 44, 49, 48, 44, 46, 45, 44, 45

Pretty darn pleased with that.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Hark the herald Angela Sings wrote (see)

Why would you cut the paper off before you had checked it would fit around the present?

Angela - believe me, I asked myself that question several times last night image We got through it though, marriage intact.

KR - ha ha image Thanks! Steve has allowed me the day off but I'd quite like to do it. Or maybe it's a test? Hmm, haven't worked that out yet. Anyway, I quite like the idea of earning at least part of the Christmas Dinner image

Seren - at the time you posted your question the answer was a definitive no but as you can see I did eventually get out the door and luckily there was no swimming involved image

lol image - do you know my wife then? A multitude of wrapping errors were being blamed on the Christmas port last night!

chickadee - wrapping all done thanks image Hope the 10 miler went well and you didn't get whisked off to Ozimage

Mr P - you can buy paper with a grid on the back? That is awesome, I need the name and number for your supplier - next year is going to be a breeze! image

Jen - luckily I was out and back before the hail. We came back from my brother-in-laws around lunch time when it caned it down and the police had closed Swiss Valley hill - we couldn't get home! image Kids were not amused when we suggested an overnight in the car might be required (we don't have a chimney on our car)image

Uncle Steve - wow, you have this (great) uncle-ing business down to a tee! You must be the most popular uncle ever with that kind if itinerary. Respect! image

I'm impressed you managed to run on that kind of belly full as well.