Options

Thames Path 100

Comments

• Options

Thanks dill,

Nav was the only thing really on my mind, I'm not having a pacer, got my wife as support crew. Best person in the world to give me encouragement, and a kick up the back side when I slow down.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Just the opposite, I always take and use a map.  I like to know where I'm going and what's coming up.  Bit easier if you're following a linear feature such as a river but even then I like to know in advance when we're changing banks, etc.  Takes away the uncertainty and having to keep looking out for signposts.

Think I'm going to target 26 hours.  I may surprise myself by being able to go faster in the latter stages.

• Options

I know where you're coming from T and I certainly would in some races but part of the draw to centurion races is not having to nav. I'm sure i'll come a cropper one day though.image

Done my last long run today, 18 mile along the river medway. All rest now.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sorted train times out today and made arrangements with my brother to pick up what's left of me at Oxford.  Sunday night at his house and then we're apparently both doing a 10-mile race on Monday (Thornborough 10).

10-mile PW coming up I think! (Hopefully after a 100-mile PB.)

I admit not much can go wrong on National Trails, *Dill*, except at night I expect it would be possible to miss a signpost?

My preparation has been rather poor.  A marathon last w/e but had problems from miles 21-25 and a disappointing 4:02 finish.  Not sure what that was about.  Will fit in another 20-miler sometime in the coming week.

• Options

Looks like you guys might get some nice weather for it this time. 

I want to see some fast times!

• Options

TR - you are insane... I thought a marathon on May 31st was bad enough !

I also had a disappointing recent marathon - 3.58, and I was struggling to get under the 4. Thats 16 minutes slower than the last time I did it 2 yrs ago, which isn't what I was hoping from the training plan but I'm going to hang on to the 24hr dream for now. Will recalibrate around 2 or 3am, when my mind will be telling me I need 72 hrs. I have real trouble with pace calculations when I get tired...

• Options

my "plan" is to just drag my ass around at just over 4 miles an hour and see what happens!! If I somehow manage that it will be a sub 24......just! image

Hell ill just take a finish, sub 24 is the dream image

• Options

Does anyone know where we can get GPS route files ? - it helps me with pacing as much as route.  I found the last 15 miles on an old Centurion post, but can't see the rest of it - any help much appreciated !

• Options

I created this from the kml file on the Centurion site - the aid stations are roughly in the right place

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81j1frfkwo2a7tn/Route_TP100_2014.gpx

Only tested it on my Sunnto

• Options
    shawkshawk ✭✭✭
    Kevin Payne wrote (see)

'm going to hang on to the 24hr dream for now... I have real trouble with pace calculations when I get tired...

I've not done this race but the estimated 24 hours times for SDW were excellent IMO. I thought they looked a little quick early doors but once you slow down you slow down, and if you're not well ahead of an even pace you're not going to make it.

Perhaps take a bit of paper with est 24 hr time for each aid station as use that as a guide for where you are. At least you'll know whether you're still in with a shot or if it's gone, and once it's gone you can concentrate on doing what you need to to get round.

Aside: I'll be helping out at the 67m aid station (Whitchurch) so do say hello!

• Options

im going to write the 24hr cut off time upside down on my number so I cant lose it image

• Options

Right then, I've done my last run today, wasn't going to run anymore but not running was starting to bug me.

I've settled on 11 min miles feels a good pace, and can do it for aleast 45, so aiming for 50, that puts me half way at 9 hours plus time for the six check points. So half way at ten hours.

I know I won't hold that for100 miles, but mentally puts me in strong place to finish a bit slower, as I know in the dark my pace slows. 

Ive just got to remember to run my own pace, sounds simple but the amount of times ive shot off with a group looked down at my garmin and see 8 min miles. Did that recently on a 48 mile race, ended up with a 13.27 average pace. If id started slower I would have finished quicker.

Hoping there will be a lot of other people with a similar plan which will stop me from rushing off

Not long image

• Options

I'm aiming to be at halfway in about 10 hours too. I'm probably going to just go by feel though, and try not to look at the watch.

I'm hoping this rain doesn't carry on for long, as the trails around Little Wittenham are starting to get muddy and wet again.

• Options

Every run for the last few weeks has been at my race starting pace. So at least i'll start at the correct pace for the time I want. If it all goes tits up, so be it.

I hope it doesn't rain too much Tiago. I've only just decided on my race shoes and  they are not for muddy conditions.

• Options

What shoes are you going for, Dill? I really can't decide.

• Options

I've decided on my Sketchers. More suited for hard packed trails. My only concern is the hard, rutted, grassy tracks on the second half.

I am always reluctant to wear an aggressive trail shoe on 100 milers. Too much impact on the joints.

The Sketchers will certainly be ok for the  first half and my crew will have my roadies and my harriers in case I struggle on the second half.

• Options

What shoes are you choosing from?

• Options

please no more rain!! sandals and sloppy mud clash a little! image

• Options

New Balance Fresh Foam, MT1010s, *Dill*, or maybe even Nike lunar Racers as they're the comfiest shoes I have.

Sketchers are getting some good press, especially after Boston.

• Options

Roni and I are working Reading CP for this one image Any special food requests? Cant promise anything, but will try ...

• Options

Banana soreen would be awesome image

• Options

Hey, Cheesy, good news. I look forward to catching up. I'll make my usual request from you - kick my butt if I'm hanging around too long image

• Options

Cheesy rider, 

Do you have hot water at your aid station?  always like a pint of hot water during a night stage, warms you up image

• Options

Cake Cheesy! Any type of cake would be lovely, especially bread pudding.

Tiago, I spoke with a guy who had some input into the design of the Sketchers Go Run Ultra. He ran Hardrock in them and convinced me to give them a go.

More of a coffee person myself GTD image

• Options

Don't like the taste dill, never got on with it. image

I'll be on the coke for the caffeine and sugar, the hot water just to warm up.

Im still sticking to my la sportiva ultra raptor my new pair have done just under 90 miles, So feeling comfortable. 

Im also trying out some sock gaitors, they might keep the gravel and small stones out.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Gravel?  Stones??  I thought this was all suburbia?

CheesyRider - soup if you can.  Otherwise black tea would be good.

• Options

Bread pudding or soup would be amazing! image

• Options

I'm hoping the rain holds off and the run is mostly dry. Then I can use my road shoes.

Soup and coffee sounds really good, although how good it sounds at over 50 miles, I can only find out by making it to Reading!!

• Options

You'll make it to reading torq. Something hot will make all the difference,  as it wont be far off being dark depending on time the temp will be dropping and it will keep you going. The cold creeps up on you and if you leave it to the point when you feel to cold then its to late, and your performance will go down hill.

I plan to make reading a longer stop and change ready for the night run section last chance for my support crew to see me, they get a sleep break between check point 7 and 11. Although I might ring them while im running just to say hello,, only fair if im up all nightimage

• Options

Cheesy - good cheer for Reading.

Reading at pub closing time. I remember there was a bin beside the trail - seemed to have a mix of special brew cans and spent energy gels.

An "easy 100-miler" does seem like an oxymoron to me but good speed if you are aiming for sub-24.