Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

That's great running BB and Sj that event with 700m ascent straight out of the water sounds like " fun". 

Joolska you are in good company with your build up terrible run. I only managed 19.5m from my 21 today then needed Reinforcements to come and pick me up.

Im type 1 diabetic and basically bombed at 14m, took on a couple of gels but couldn't get the sugar up and started physically loosing control of my right foot in some kind of weird spasm at 17m, I thought it was an injury then sort of realised it was something else so called Mrs F taxi service to get me at 19.5m when I realised it was game over.

A quick test of blood sugar level showed it was 1.1mmol when it should be 4.5 at least and probably more like 7 when endurance running. 

Anyway on the positive, it's not an injury and I did have 3 real quality sessions and hit 57m this week. on Downside I now need a 21m next weekend????

• Options

Corking and epic report SJ!

More adventuring on the hills of Derbyshire for me. Belper Rugby Rover 30k (plus a bit of jogging round a field to bring it up to 20 miles). I now can't wait to get back to running nice flat routes along the canal and river paths!

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Amazing stuff Badbark - a PB most can only dream of. With your volume and approach I think those next 7s can fall on the next serious attempt.  Excellent!

Amazing as well Slokey. The route sound stunning and you were really racing - I suppose the open vistas mean you can spot your rivals from a distance. . A very different race and opening up completely new directions around the Lakes.

That sounds like a good run for leg strength Speedy.

23km/14m 'long' run for me which was uneventful.  Yesterday was my wedding anniversary and I had to take my wife to A&E with a suspect broken nose after my daughter kicked her whilst they were mucking about.  She's back to the hospital today to find out if it is or not.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I've been busy with family Birthday's so sorry not to comment on al the good running. Impressed as usual Badbark, but I can understand your frustration for those few seconds over 1:20. Well within your grasp next time..

I put in a poor parkrun time or 18:50 and was well beaten by junior on her 18th Birthday. We delayed our long run until this morning and she actually dropped me in the last 2 miles even though I ran sub 7's.

Back to Geneva and normality from today. Happy anniversary Bike it- broken noses look good, I have one too.   image

• Options
    I've broken mine a few times, last time it had to go under the surgeon's mallet to put it back together again. Hope she gets off lightly BI.

Sounds like the tide has well and truly turned OO! You must be very proud.

You could enter Breca next year Lorenzo as a father and son team. One of mine ha finally show an interest in sports - it's only cycling but it'll do (I'd love for one of them to run) so I've bought him a new bike. Hopefully he'll be able to ride with me by next summer.

Don't you fancy an autumn 50miler Speedy? You could definitely do well at the ultra game.

Glad all is well PJF
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Superb running Badbark, albeit a little careless vis-à-vis extra seconds. image
    Epic report, SJ. Well done on completing what looks like a brutal event.
    An anniversary to remember there BI. Does she have the panda eyes to go with it?
    I'd be over the moon with a sub-20 parkrun OO, let alone an 18:50...show-off! image

Managed a 7.6 miler on Saturday. Longest run for a while, so went steady at 7.30 pace.

Did 6 at lunchtime today. Nowt spectacular, hilly course but managed 7.15 avg. Still way off my best form at the mo but will keep plugging away.

GD

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes sorry GD. I've had a ropey few weeks, with my old war wound hip injury getting me down a bit. Those parkruns are the bright spot- 18:50 was actually off 5 pints the night before. I'm focused on my GNR form, not to confident but a good few weeks to improve. Your training form looks good, I hope you can increase the distance beyond those 6-7 milers. 

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

My wife's nose is now broken for the 4th time - 2 from sport, 1 from an alcohol/steps/high heels incident and now one from being kicked by a 3 year old.  Surgery on Thursday.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Slowly ramping up my distance in the next few weeks, OO as I slowly build up a base level.. Would be doing a 10 miler this weekend but have tickets to The Oval for The Ashes test. Much beer to be consumed and not conducive to decent distance running. image

Core and strength work at the gym tonight, Spinning tomorrow and 2 more running sessions squeezed in somewhere during the rest of this week should get me at least beer fit for Saturday and increase the total distance from last week.

Nice nose collection from Mrs BI. Not to be sniffed at! image image

GD 

• Options
    Have you been working on that gag GD? image
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

let's hope you don't get a suspicious visit from Social Services Bike It image

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Thankfully OO this country has other financial priorities than having a Social Services - we just have the Police and Darwin to resolve social problems.

Good overall workload GD - I definitely know I could be doing more on my strength/core - I have batches of enthusiasm that then wanes.  Trouble is I know my marathon PB was the result of that and P&D.

Another grass track session planned today.  Probably 2x3km and then 1x or 2x 2km;  Last Session before my 10km target race would be 3x3km next Tuesday and then race the following Wednesday night.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hello all,

PJF - sounds like a scary experience. Must be tricky balancing the needs of a condition like that and running, although I know a lot do.

BB & SJ - inspiring stuff. That event/route sounds brutal SJ, and can testify to the scenery as was up there myself last week (brief info below; Buttermere's beautiful though).

BI - Hope Mrs BI is OK. Tough intervals you have lined up there.

GD - still biking, or out of the saddle and into the trainers for now?

Good to see Jools & Speedy both still at it too.

So, I pop back in to say hi and then disappear on hols to the Lakes, but will make more of a regular effort to post again now normality has returned. Great week in Cumbria; got the Ms As out on 5 reasonable hill walks (Catbells, Silver Howe, Helm Crag, Haystacks and Loughrigg for those that know the territory) but also plenty of time for things that 5 and 6 year olds find more fun, like the climbing wall, pony trekking and tree nets (essentially 3 layers of giant trampolines suspended in the trees with bridges & tunnels linking them up - great fun). Managed to fit in 30 miles in the trainers while I was there too, so a decent week of activity to offset the over-eating and over-drinking! Back to it with 8 on Sunday, 6 yesterday and some lovely 800 intervals planned for today.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Session done - 2x3km then 1x2km.  It's 27C here today - in the equivalent of February in the Northern Hemisphereimage. First 3km came out 4:12 per km (6:40ish per mile), next 3km came out at 4:23 per km (7:00ish per mile), last 2km 4:22 per km.  Definitely the temperature accounting for the big difference in pace. Happy with that given the temperature and altitude.

• Options

Bike It - where are you based?

It was 23C here in Glasgow and I have to say enjoyed 10m @ 7:00 with 5m @ 6:40.

Berlin 5 weeks on Sunday now so I'm into peak time training and enjoying the P&D expereince so far. Im going with a 2 week taper this time though, 3 weeks seems excessive!    

Abbers, interested to hear how the 800's went!    

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

PJFrizzle - I used to live in North Hampshire and now I live in Potchefstroom in the North-West Province of South Africa since end December.  Altitude is about 1430m - not a lot but enough to feel the difference. Agree with you on the taper length, but in my case I can never push myself hard enough (without injuring myself) to need 3w.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good session that BI; decent volume as well as pace.

PJF - good running from you too. Apologies if you've already answered this multiple times, or if it's obvious from the thread title, but what's the goal for Berlin?

4x800 as part of a 6 miler came out at 3:04, 2:59, 2:54, 2:54 so pretty pleased with those once I got into the pace. Not sure I could have done a 5th at that speed, but time restrictions meant that's all I could squeeze in anyway.

• Options
  • Options

Abbers, I'd take sub 3:15!!! Maybe capable of faster but that's the goal!

how do you do your 800's is it yasso style of just run as hard as you can with a recovery?

• Options

Out in the US for a week's work. Did 9 this morning: was lost at the start and asked a runner the way and ended up doing 6 miles with Andrea Walkonen who is running the 2016 US Olymipcs Trial marathon (see http://www.marathonguide.com/news/exclusives/2016USAOlympicTeamTrialsMarathon/QualifierLists/CreateReports.cfm?Order=IndividualRank&Sex=F

Luckily she was on a recovery and I managed to hold a good conversation with her just faster than 7 m/m. 3 back home was a bit slower.

• Options

Helllo again

Good to see a track debut BB and a great time too. Storming half marathon time as well, you are on fire at the moment.

Well done on that fantastic 10k Jools - speed's still there!

Great race & report SJ

Good sessions there BikeIt and Abbers

Good to see the thread going strong over the summer months. Been really busy recently with camping trips, freelance work & running. Keeping the mileage up though and averaging about 70+ miles a week. Did a 14 miler the other Saturday @ 7.45 pace then a 3.35 marathon the following afternoon. Luckily I had a bit of a cut back week last week which helped although the legs felt surprisingly ok. I'm hoping to do a 30 miler this Sunday so a bit of a carb load on Saturday is order.

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - said it before, doubtless I'll say it again, but you're a nutter. In the best possible way of course! Speaking of nutters, caught up with my brother-in-law when we were in the Lakes last week and got the full account of his 18.5 hour Bob Graham Round last month. He's rightly chuffed!

PJF - and a very fine goal it is too. Have you got close before? 800s are done hard with a 200m walk recovery. Not flat out, but hard.

PMJ - good name dropping & celeb runner spotting!

KR - that's impressive mileage considering everything else you're doing, and a nice casual 3:35 mara thrown in for good measure! Sounds like you're training for an ultra?

6 easy done in the drizzle at lunch.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Abbers: Still using the bike for pleasure rides rather than training emphasis rides, so running is the main training focus right now.

Cracking miles there KR.

Tried a small track session at lunchtime. One mile there and back, efforts of 800, 1 mile, 800, 400 recoveries. 5 mile trip.

Not great but it's a start. Splits were 2.51, 6.07, 2.55. Way off for the same session back in March (2.41, 5.52, 2.50) but then again it was a lot cooler and I had just set a HM PB of 1.28 a couple of weeks earlier. Really disappointed with the mile split though.

Won't panic just yet as I'm still building up to base level...And I don't do HEAT!! image

GD

• Options
    Don't PANIC! words of wisdom GD image

Abbers, 18hrs is seriously good for a bob graham. We passed a chap going up Dale Head as we were coming down who was on for a sub23 and he looked really good and was powering up the hill. A sub 19 would mean some serious effort on that terrain.

Well, I am now officially entered for my sub3 PB at Frankfurt

We are on! Whoop whoop!
  • Options
    What date is the 100miler KR? Looking good so far.
  • Options

A decent session there G-Dawg

24 hour race is in 4 weeks SJ (which seems to be getting closer very quickly) and looking forward to it.

15 miles in the rain tonight.

• Options
    What's your target distance KR? Plans for pacing strategy?
  • Options

KR, SJ and nayone else doing stupid mileage, respect. I dont know how you find the time let alone the energy.

GD - its just one split, dont worry too much, could be many factotrs.

Abbers - Close I suppose...I managed 24 miles at 7:22mm at Edinburgh last year then bonked. coming in at 3:21 as a PB. I clocked up a 1:26 HM PB at the Great Scottish Run in October plus the P&D programme is a step up from prior outings so... i'm confident that I'll give it my best shot.

This mornings run another HM @ MP 7:25 legs a bit tired, and shoes are totally dead, like cycling on flat tyres.

I see Asics have just released the Kayano 22, 10g lighter than last edition. After working so hard I think I deserve a treat...a sucker for marketing and incremental gains!       

• Options
    You do deserve a treat PJF. Go for it.
  • Options

Got 3 targets Slokey:
    C - more than last years 42 miles (as part of a small team of 5)
    B - 60 miles (equates to 10 laps)
    A - 100 miles (as that;s a nice round number)

It will be a run/walk combination throughout and very slow pace running. I'll probably run the first 2 laps, then introduce the run/walk practice. To be honest I've never done anything like this before so it's all been a bit of a learning curve.