Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Now the marathon is getting closer I thought I'd take a count of how many people would like to meet-up for a meal and some carb loading early on the Saturday evening.

Depending on the numbers planning to attend I'll investigate what options are available. I would be planning to keep it simple at a pizza/pasta type place, with a central location. All runners, partners, family etc more than welcome. We've done this is the previous years (at PastaPapa but I'm not sure it's still open) and it's a good way to put faces to names and help ease the nerves by chatting with fellow runners.

If you'd like to attend please post here and let me know the number of people in your party.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Count Stuchbury and I in Eggy.  Plus Mahdu2  - so that means 3 of us
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Count me in Eggy + 1 supporter!
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Pistol101 - I was down to pace 2 hours in MK, but we now have to go to a 1st birthday party instead so I've passed the duties over to Madhu2.

I'm going for a sports massage tomorrow.  I had a horrible 16 mile run on Sunday, legs were heavy right from the off.  I'm a little concerned about my right leg.  I've got pain in what I believe to be balled the Vastus Lateralis when walking and running.  I haven't run since Sunday.  I think I could, but thought I'd give it a rest and see how it is after tomorrow.  If it's no better I'm going to revert to doing all my training on the bike.  It's not ideal, but as I've been following the FIRST program, I've put a lot of long runs in already and I have my 'practice' marathon a week on Saturday, so I'm treating this as a bit of a taper.  It's so tempting to go for a run, but I'd be so cross with myself if I got injured now.  I've made no secret of sub 4 being my target, but I've put my focus on the process making sure I get all the training runs in, rather than think about the end goal.  I've realised over the last few weeks though, that putting in a good run is what I want out of it and the time isn't so important.  That means not blowing up completely after 18 miles or so and run consistently all the way.  I pretty much managed that in my first marathon in Amsterdam where I ran 4:02, but can't say that I have felt satisfied in any of my other marathons with how I ran them.

Fingers crossed that everyone on the injury bench makes some good progress this week.

• Options
    Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hello Jokeybhoy, nice to see you again!

Please add me to the pasta list Eggy - wherever we end up. Thanks for thinking about that.

I've read the '5 longest runs should add up to 100 miles' thing many times, and although that would be nice in in an ideal world, for people used to high mileage, please don't be alarmed if you're not planning on doing that much. Many beginners plans in particular may only have one or two 20 milers in them, and that's fine.
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    I also read that article about the 100 miles.I thought it was aimed more at the sub 3:15 category.The articles I read about the shorter long runs seemed to be aimed at the 3:45 and slower as they mostly say we shouldn't be running more than 3 hours in training,with 2-2.5 hours recommended to avoid injury.Checking back my log i did 4 x 20 milers and 2 x 18 milers for Loch Ness.

I vaguely remember someone on here a few year back saying they do more mid range runs and less long runs,it may have been Emmy
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    No thanks for dinner, Eggy.  Will be dining with mother-in-law
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Pleased to see your comments about long runs, RR. Not going to fit that distance in last 5 runs. 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, sorry to read about all the injuries but great to read about all the running. I am out I am afraid. Saw my GP last Monday and an orthopedic consultant Monday just gone. Issues with my hip socket and joint the seriousness of which will be revealed in an MRI (in the next ten days). Solutions range from intensive specific physio to surgery, I know which one I want. Banned from running more than five miles but must admit I have found it difficult to even motivate myself to even go outside for a walk. Basically devistated. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Oh TT :(I'm so sorry to hear that :( It's best to take it easy and wait for the MRI.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    TT - I'm really sorry to hear your news. Long term health is the main thing. Rest up and fingers crossed they can help you recover quickly.

FRG2 - I tend to do lots of long runs, but I could never have done that when I started marathon running. For someone taking on their first marathon I'd say five 20 milers would be a bad idea, unless they'd come from a very strong running background.
  • Options
    EEGY - Please add me to the list too, it will be nice to put faces to names and meet those who have ran Paris before. I am out there by myself so a little company will be nice.

I went out for my first run in 10 days today, whilst I didnt feel 100% happy and still had a little discomfort during the run I managed to run 5k, I could have gone on for longer but wanting to build it back up and not rush into it, even though I am chomping at the bit to get going again.

Does anyone else find the slow tempo runs hard to pace? I seem to find it tough sticking to a slower set pace, ending up running a lot faster than planned and often feel like I need to explain to people I see on the run why I am running so slowly.
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    100 miles! I'm going to aim to do one 20 mile run beforehand! I've got one or two half marathons depending on weather (I've never done one before) so in my remaining five weekends I planned to do a half marathon, 18 miles, half marathon, 20 miles, 9 miles. During the week I just don't have the time as I have a two and a half to three hour round trip commute and children to contend with so my lunch break 40 minute runs are all I can really do, maybe one longer evening run if I'm lucky. 

Most worrying today is my knee has been aching and twinging. I've got an old injury that occasionally flares up but I've not felt it for a while. Hopefully it will be okay next time I run. 

I'd love to come on the Saturday evening although I'm worried I'll be too sick with nerves to actually eat! I have a small army of supporters if that is okay; my husband, 16 year old niece (helping out with child wrangling), four year old daughter and my baby boy who will be just one by then and probably eats more pasta than a carb-loading marathon runner! 
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Sorry to read about others injuries. Sounds horrid TT, I know when I was told no exercise in the past how devastated I felt and what a kick to the general motivation that is. Rest up and hope the MRI reveals the least serious prognosis for you.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I did one 20 mile run before my first Katey. It was hell and I thought how on earth will I run a marathon. But I did it and I'm back for more!
  • Options
    TT - really sorry to hear that. But it sounds like something that really has to be fixed, and you're finally getting some answers.

Katey (and anyone else worried about pre-race nerves) - I very much recommend coming to dinner. Just talking to people who are in the same boat, have been there before, or can answer questions (however random you might think they are) can be a big help. I remember one year being convinced I was about to go down with some horrible flu the next day, and discovering that everyone else around the table was thinking the same thing. None of us did, but we all felt better for sharing  :)
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The dinner is awesome!  And only second to the post race drinks!  

Another reason to come to dinner is that you don't need to wonder about where to eat, can you get a reservation?  Will they serve pasta?  You just turn up and it's good!  
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Katey - That's not a problem. The more the merrier.
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about more injuries. Fingers crossed that it's sorted long-term, if not in time for Paris.
    Thanks for all the encouragement from the marathon veterans. The task is becoming more daunting (and more real) as day approaches.
  • Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about injury TT, I'm seeing the physio on Tuesday as knee pain escalates. Feeling really frustrated but it's basically cross training or nothing. Will check back in once I know status
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    TB02 - Good luck with the Physio. I was at mine last night. I've got another trial run tonight. Hopefully it'll go better than last weeks.

*** Saturday Night Meal ***
    So far we have 13 runners, friends and family confirmed.
    Eggy
    Running Rodent
    Kenno and co
    Nells and Mr Nells
    Hatton2009
    Katey and her entourage

Anyone else wanting to join us?
  • Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your injury TT. Real bummer.

Eggy - Thanks for taking on the meal arrangements. I'm travelling with a small group and last year they all agreed to attend and then dropped out on the day so I can't be sure yet. Don't want to mess your numbers up.
    But if anyone else is wavering then I can recommend the meal meet-up. It is always great to catch up with this group and non-runners are welcomed too.

I will be at the meet-up at the Arc on race day though. And planning on one of the two parkruns on the Saturday morning. Not sure which yet.

And this will be the first year I'm not rushing off straight after the race to catch a flight. I will be able to celebrate properly for once!

• Options
    Can you add me onto the Saturday meal list please Emmy? I'm also planning to go to Parc des Princes to watch a Paris St German football match - a couple of hours sat down seems like a good idea to stop me being a tourist and walking miles. I really like the VaPiano chain as an option for pizza/pasta.

Stay positive gang x
  • Options
    Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Yes Eggy - add me and Lisa to the pasta list.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Eggy - Can you add Dean :)
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I think he wants you to add him!  :D
  • Options
    Eggy - thanks for co-ordinating, could you add me please. I promised myself a bucket of moules marinières over the weekend but I think I'll save it for afterwards, pasta is probably a better option the night before.
  • Options
    Sorry Emmy/Eggy; regards Eddy (what I'd like my sign in name to be)
  • Options
    List Fairy, could you please add me to the Liverpool Marathon?

Oh and I nearly forgot to mention, I'm so excited  :D I have just opened up my email to tell me that November 5th 2017, I will be running New York...

Get in!!!