Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    One too small for the weight to make a difference to my TTT gold cell status.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    If I were forced somehow into classifying my limbs into major and minor categories I would struggle but in terms of importance to me I could say with a degree of confidence that my right leg is my favourite limb and my left arm is my least favourite (this shouldn't be taken as I don't like my left arm, just that I don't value it quite as much as other limbs).
  • Options
    DT - I don't weigh myself regularly so it may well have crept up through the marathon campaign. If I consider the shin muscle tear I've done a small fraction of my normal mileage over the past 7 weeks, and I don't think my appetite has quite got the message yet. And Lou is correct, I am pumping iron at the gym  :#

High blood pressure has not come up before but it's been a stressful past year, and stress can be a factor. My resting heart rate is still nice and low. I have access to a bp machine so I'll read up on the testing protocol and keep an eye on it.

Physio at lunchtime - I have lots more exercises to do. My inability to stand up straight on one leg when looking at myself in the mirror was comical. A low volume of easy running is ok provided any pain is less than 4 out of 10 and returns to normal over the following 24 hours.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

According to the internets...

On average, an arm weighs about ~5.3% of your total body weight, depending on your gender, among other factors. A leg is about 17.5%. This means for a 150lb average human being, an arm weighs ~8lb and a leg weighs ~26lb.

Does that mean that Skinny's arms are minor limbs?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    see you tonight then....
  • Options
    4 out of 10 - wtf?
  • Options
    Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I think just having one leg amputated I could get under Lit's current weight but I probably wouldn't stay in the Gold TTT so on, and for, balance I think I'll keep my legs.

The decision on my arms would be tricky as I write left handed but perform other tasks right handed (I may be ambidextrous at waving and wanking).
  • Options
    LOL - very scientific - I think I could have drawn that on my own piece of paper thanks.

I hope it's not 4.23 on the scale and you have to rest some more.
  • Options
    :) I think the critical message was using the return to no pain after 24 hours as a measure of the tendon reaction. Bit of an odd one to judge really, because it has been a no pain situation for a couple of days except when I go up or down stairs or drive for extended periods.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Is an average human being 150lb these days?

• Options
    Table 3

Population, body mass and biomass by world region in 2005 and in hypothetical scenarios

WHO region

Adult population (millions)

Average body mass (kg)

Biomass (million kg)

No of people overweight / total population

Biomass due to BMI > 25 (million kg)

Biomass due to BMI > 30 (million kg)

Asia

24.2%

Europe

55.6%

Africa

28.9%

Latin Am. Caribbean

57.9%

Northern Am.

73.9%

Oceania

63.3%

World

34.7%

• Options
    I couldn't find an up to date one but in 2005 it was 62kg which is about 136lbs I think. Europe though is 70.8 which is 156.

I don't think that's what Tommy meant though. I think he meant that a human who weighed 150lbs would on average have an arm that weighed x and a leg that weighed x.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes my interpretation of his comment was that 150 lb represents an average human and so they would be proportioned as stated. Your interpretation is an average proportioned human being who was 150 lb (by example) would have limbs weighing ...

I suppose then you get people like weightlifters who have often under developed legs but very well developed arms. Dwarfs would also present an anomaly.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Dwarves. I was once instructed by a physio not to run if the pain was 5/10 or more, but she also gave me a helpful description of what that would be like so I could tell. It was: it is more than 4/10 if you would have to make a conscious effort to regulate your facial expression if you didn't want other people to know you were in pain. Alternatively, this might be helpful: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/boyfriend-doesnt-have-ebola-probably.html

• Options
    Yes, that's going to be very helpful in sucking all the time out of my world :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Dwarfs! Was having this discussion recently when teaching: in his Foreword to The Hobbit Tolkein writes that the only plural of "dwarf" is "dwarfs", and then uses "dwarves" throughout.
    See: 
    http://grammarist.com/usage/dwarfs-dwarves/

On the other hand it probably doesn't matter as it is not pc to use "dwarf" nowadays.

Are you injury free now, Lit? Were those exercises of any use or did the physio tell you to bin them? 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hi Alehouse! Pretty much injury free - still occasional slight stiffness in left achilles and I've also had a ligament thing in my right foot that's gradually improving. The physio told me (plausibly) that by contrast with people who have actual achilles tendonitis, my problems were all due to limited mobility rather than strength. So he gave me mobility drills rather than strength exercises and it's absolutely fine now with no inflammation, just a bit of residual discomfort from time to time because it had got so chronic. I'm definitely moving better and able to run faster now too.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    All sounds good, Lit! Mobility is very important, hence the foot tapping suggestions, for example. Trouble is we only do the exercises after we are injured! Not enough preventative measures from most of us! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    I'd need to have ALL of mine amputated
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    alehouse said:
    All sounds good, Lit! Mobility is very important, hence the foot tapping suggestions, for example. Trouble is we only do the exercises after we are injured! Not enough preventative measures from most of us! 
    Yep, I used to do a lot more in Nottingham, and have now started regular pilates equipment classes (as well as more regular massage) to make sure it doesn't happen again!
  • Options
    I think on page 766 of the thread we have just had the first occasion of DT being right and Lit being wrong - thank you Alehouse.

Are dwarfs now more correctly called Munchkins?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    My dictionary tells me both plurals are possible, so I suppose I was wrong to correct DT, but not wrong in my preferred plural, which follows the same pattern as calves and halves (but not roofs).
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

This is a glorious moment in my life!!!!!

Taking my victory without any undue gloating, I shall move on. I have been having mobility issues with my feet. When I first wake in the morning there is no give at all in my ankles or feet. I have been stretching my lower legs and feet quite a bit and it has helped, however I fear that I am on the cusp of an issue.

Lit, taking my victory that I don't like to mention to one side, could you share the mobility exercises?

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    A good example of how language changes over time: being old I remember being taught roof and dwarf as exceptions to the -ves plurals, and it cropped up recently, hence my comment! So Lit is both right and wrong!  Far less important than discussing running!
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    They are a bit difficult to describe, and there were also some for my ridiculously immobile hips. The main ankle ones were: (1) kneeling one knee with the other leg bent and foot on the floor, sort of holding onto the front of the foot with one hand and the achilles with the other hand and pulsing the knee/ankle forward quickly while holding the heel down on the floor (knee over the third and fourth toes), then pushing it forward more slowly and holding it a few times; (2) getting a heavy-duty physio band thing and using it as for a hamstring stretch but pointing and flexing foot. Probably better to go to an actual physio though and have them look at your ankles, calves etc. and also show you relevant exercises. Your issues might not be the same as mine. I also have to do various hip stretches, massage my calves with one of those stick things, and my glutes with a lacrosse ball. Oh, and now my pilates teacher makes me foam roll my IT band every day.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Oh! PS: I also get to do achilles tendon stretches on the pilates reformer; this involves lying on a moving carriage and pushing your heels under the footbar, sometimes while the teacher holds onto your heels and pulls.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    DT: I will send you the calf and Achilles document that I shared with Lit (and others). Feel free to bin it! Note the capital for Achilles: my surgeon was very particular about that! No doubt it can now be either! 
    For those who don't know I had an Achilles op about four years ago so have written up some suggestions of how to avoid the knife! Happy to send.
  • Options
    DT19 said:
    If I were forced somehow into classifying my limbs into major and minor categories I would struggle but in terms of importance to me I could say with a degree of confidence that my right leg is my favourite limb and my left arm is my least favourite (this shouldn't be taken as I don't like my left arm, just that I don't value it quite as much as other limbs).
    Still harbouring ambitions to volley in a thirty yarder in the cup final DT?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Lou, it's about 7 more years before my son and his friends are old enough for a dad v lads match, so I have ambitions.

Alehouse, thanks for the inbox. I will have a look tomorrow.

Race went ok today. There was only one guy from my club that I could have been competitive with and I beat him by 16 seconds. There was also one of the dads from school who does ironman stuff and spends in my view more time than he should training. I beat him by about 10 seconds in parkrun in March but was aware he ran 39.20 at the brum 10k the weekend after London (which he didn't run ). Also he is number 2  m40 on RB for our postcode and I'm number 1. This was my main target. I didn't see him at the start but found him ahead of me about 2 miles in. Lack of warm up meant I took it easy to start. By the time I'd seen him I was in a good rhythm. I took him and assumed I'd completely dropped him. Mile 5 was a big struggle and my clubmate said he thought I was beatable at that point but I picked it back up at mile 6. I had to perform some mid range roaring in mile 5 to hold it together. At the end the guy that was just ahead of me much of the second half queried what the hell was going on. He thought I'd torn my calf or something. Anyway, school dad friend came in about 20 seconds behind me. I'm sure with his training volume it is only a matter if time before he beats me. 

I was quite pleased by the fact I'd beaten someone that a few weeks ago ran what I would consider a pleasing 10k, whilst in myself not feeling I'm in anything but end of recovery phase. I stopped my watch on 42.00, though in that sort of race it doesnt mean much.This was more XC than some I did last season.