Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I volunteered at parkrun this morning and it was hot and humid. Ugh. Glad it's cooler up north. Good luck Shades!
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I did Parkrun this morning, jogged the nearly 4 miles there and back too. Didn't feel 100% so decided before I set off that I wasn't going to really go for it at Parkrun, ran it as a tempo sort of effort which came in at 21:30 on my watch. A guy I play squash with was coming to do his first one so I met him at the start and started further back than normal so I wasn't tempted to really push it. It still felt quite hard work although I could have gone faster. The run back was very hot, even though I'd had about 20 mins to cool down, kept it at an easy effort though m, think it was about 10 min miles.

Giod luck to the weekend racers
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nick, similar to me, I didn't "race" my parkrun and went around in about 22:30 (so 90secs slower than recent hard efforts for me).  1.5 mile there, parkrun, 1.5 mile back is a nice little leg loosener though.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow.
    No running for me today as another hectic day in work,20 miles tomorrow will make up for it though.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone running this weekend. I hope that it cools down for you!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    20 miles for me today,felt tougher than normal,mixture of busy week in work and also I ran a 10 mile out and back route along my ultra route,but it was all the off road bit,not to hilly but plenty of bits to test my legs esp with never running like that before.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - good for you for testing out the route in a long run, off road can be a lot more tiring, mentally too as you have to concentrate on the surface.

Tough run for me today at Dorchester.  Beautiful course and brilliantly organised.   Course was fairly challenging undulating all the way with the toughest climb up to 24 miles, all run on closed roads through the most beautiful chocolate box villages, great support on the way round.   Very warm at times, but the heat wasn't the problem but the humidity was, up to 95% at it's worst, rain started after I'd just finished.   Had a very bad stitch at 21 miles, managed to walk through it for a mile and it went only to return at 24 miles, painful and lost me a good 8 minutes in the 2nd half.   Finished in 4:56:16.  But loved the event, massive medal and nice burgundy shirt.

Iain - how did you get on last night?

Cal - how did you get on today?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Pity about it being tougher than you thought,stitches are horrible but I manage to get rid of them pretty quick now.Wasn't Dorchester where you were born?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done on your race today Shades! WSR are a great organisation... but they don't understand the word 'flat'!

Any news from Cal, anyone? She was running in Liverpool, right?
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - it was extremely hot yesterday and I found the race quite tough. I am not a huge fan of multi lap races and I was quite happy when I finished.

I got to the venue early and got changed and sorted out my hydration pack and bottles. We had our race briefing and headed to the start. As always I had my support crew with me (OH and kids) which helped as I was able to see them several times over the course. 
    Very quickly I got into my stride and headed out in front which surprised me as I thought I was further back then that. I got to the turning point and headed back, pass everyone coming the other way and we all exchanged well wishes. The outward half of the lap was into the wind and the return had the sun baking down on us so very warm. The route took us past a quaint pub on the river where we would run between the tables and the enterance to the pub. The laps felt harder than normal and when I got to half way I swore under my breath cause it felt as if it was further then that. At the end of each lap I would stop briefly to grab some water and try cool down before resuming. I was on my penaltimate lap and the sun was low so the geese and swans had come out of the river and we had to run around them cause they weren't moving for anyone. I started my last lap thinking "only 3 miles to go" and as I past people they were all congratulating me on a great run. I got to the finish straight and my boys were waiting to cross the line with me, which was pretty awesome. It was slower than I had wanted but considering the conditions I was happy with 3:20:45.
    My OH had taken her camera and got some really good shots of the runners. There were quite a few 100MC runners and a few people that had run the Kent circuit marathon that morning. I'm taking a weeks break and then I'll push ahead with training for the outlaw relay in July.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Iain-Did you win the race?
    Emmy -I've seen cal finished in a good time but will let her update
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Iain-Did you win the race?

Yeah I won the race but on the results page they added 10 min to my time so have emailed them for the correction.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Well done Shades and Iain.
    Ian - the marathon results don't seem to be up yet (just the half) - did you track online?

Anyway, took the train up yesterday, which seemed to take forever (normal time to Manchester but very slow after that - I think there must have been engineering works). I bought a 1st class upgrade and was glad I did!
    I stayed at the Radisson right near the station and they kindly upgraded my room, so I spent the night sprawled across a bed so soft it was like a giant marshmallow. I woke up a few times and had at least two dreams about the race, so I was a bit disappointed to finally wake up and realise I had to run it for real.
    I had my two rice cakes in my room then went down to the breakfast room for coffee. Lots of runners were tucking into a cooked breakfast, which is something I just couldn't do. However, they did have some nice looking bananas so I got one of those too, and it turned out to be another successful addition to Cal's things she can eat and not puke up before running. Yay!

The sky was overcast and considerably cooler than London, for which I was thankful. I had enough to worry about with the injury let alone being too hot. Talking of which, while it was nigglesome, it wasn't quite the massive problem I thought it would be. I had other problems bigger than that, but I'll come to that later.

The first five miles or so took us to Everton, through a park, and then to Anfield (I hadn't realised they were so close together), and I enjoyed that park. I felt full of energy and every time we passed a band, the music and general good cheer that abounded saw my pace increase. I was already past the 4:15 pacer by the time we reached Everton, though after Anfield and going back down through the park, we turned up a steepish hill where I took it easier and he came past me again. I was glad to get to the top of the hill so I turned to another runner and said "I hope there's a downhill bit now" and he said, "don't worry, it's all downhill to the city centre." And it was, so I let my legs go, went back past Mr 4:15 and knocked out a 9:16 mile. The next mile wasn't much slower (9:24). I enjoyed that part - I had a nice chat with another runner alongside me, said "Vive la France!" to some French girls I passed, saw the Cilla statue and the Cavern and enjoyed the music.

I sure did get slower after that, though. If the hamstring didn't get me, it certainly, well, hamstrung my training, and that's what did it. That and too much enthusiasm in the first half. There was a pretty nasty hill in mile 12 - not steep, but a long old climb - and my speed plummeted to 10:25. Mr 10:15 came past me again and that was the last I saw of him. Not a problem as I didn't expect to stick at that pace, but it was nice while it lasted. I picked up slightly after that, with some 4:30 pace miles, but once I hit mile 16, I also hit the wall. Hard. My legs had nothing left. I can blame the lack of training, which certainly didn't help, but I also partly blame myself for going much too fast in the first half (specifically the first 10). In Manchester, I averaged around 9:55 for the first half, then stuck around MP for the next 7 and only really started to slow at 20.

This time, I went from a 10:11 at 15 to 10:53 at 16. My left foot (arch area) had been aching for a while now, but at this point it was eclipsing the hamstring in terms of discomfort. (Really hope it's not PF... that's all I need!)

It didn't get much better from here. I was so tired I wanted to walk, but I told myself I had to run to 20 and then I'd allow myself to walk any uphill bits and through the aid stations. After this my times got really bad and the 4:30 pacer came past. I tried to stick with him for a bit but my body said no. I probably could have done it if I hadn't been such an ass during the first half, but well, I am a marathon newbie, with a newbie's enthusiasm and over-optimisim.

Eventually we hit the Mersey for the last few miles. This is a long stretch, and it's quite calming to run by the water, but by god it goes on forever. I managed a sort of spastic jog for a while but once I went through mile 24 I just wanted to walk. So I let myself do that. I walked about three quarters of it and then told myself to run if I didn't want to see the 4:45 pacer on my tail. That was my slowest mile at 14:43, but I managed to run all the way from there and did a 10:56 for the last mile and even managed a little burst of speed (10:20 pace) for the last bit. I was so happy to be finishing, but so tired. Garmin said I did 4:37:55 (not as good as Manchester this year, but better than Manchester last year) and I am fine with that.

I got my medal (not the biggest I have, but thick and heavy and very nice and colourful), then went into the arena to pick up my bag and T-shirt (also nice!). Got another banana and some haribo but the other snacks had gluten so I had to skip them. I'd brought my own Bounce ball though, so not a big issue.

After that, I lay on my back with my feet up a wall before summoning the energy to go get changed in the loos. That took a long time as I was not only sore but had post-marathon brain which had a hard time juggling the stuff in my bag.

Sat outside for a while, eating my banana and drinking water, before heading the mile back to the train station. I thought I might be able to catch an earlier train, but sadly they only seem to run one an hour on Sundays so I ended up getting the one I was supposed to. Had two more bananas on the train plus a protein drink, green smoothie, some crisps (for the salt!) and some Nakd nibbly things. I have not had a proper meal all day, but hey ho. I'm not actually hungry - never am after a race. I'm sure I'll make up for it over the coming week.

Plan now is rest, plus a massage on Wednesday. I may take two weeks off running if I can stand to. We'll see.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Cal-That's still a good run after your injuries and it's not the easiest course,you went fast at the start and most of that is uphill so reality it was even faster so that will explain your struggle at the end.The last stretch by the Mersey is about 4 miles, at least the wind wasn't too bad today.
    I downloaded the app and found your result there.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh! Because I'm missing from the results.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes I was born in Dorchester and lived in the area until I was 6.   The run was tough for me due to the stitches and humidity, not the course.  That area is very beautiful and if I could afford it I would move back there.

Emmy - I wouldn't want flat, it was a good course and undulating rather than hilly, 1240 feet of climb in total I think.

Iain - well done, great running.   Saturday evening was hot and it must have been tough being out there in front on your own.   Great photos, with the boys supporting you.   A well deserved win.
    At your next marathon in the relay you should have lots of support on the course, will be quite a contrast.

Cal - well done, great race report and you ran really well considering that you weren't able to prepare as much as you would have liked.   You sound like you enjoyed the event too.  Good news that you have added bananas to your 'food list' too.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, there's a way to get rid of stitches that works most of the time. If you stand on one leg, grab the knee of the other leg (on the affected side) and pull it into your chest, it can provide some relief. I used to use it with the kids in my PE class - they often had PE after lunch and were always getting stitches.

I didn't sleep that well, which is normal (out like a light but woke a few times, once because of a storm, and then again at 4ish, when I decided I was too hot to stay in bed). I went out for a little walk at 6. I can walk downstairs normally already - I guess it's because Liverpool is undulating so stresses different muscles than flat old Manchester. The hammy is no worse than usual, so that's good news. I really thought I might bugger myself up longtime. My left foot is very cross though, but it didn't seem to be much of a problem walking. I'll have my masseur dig into the fascia on Wednesday.

Also, my Egyptian geese babies are now almost fully grown and have all the adult plummage save for the white faces they get as adults. So hopefully we'll have four Egyptian geese on the pond now.

I'm rather miffed that I'm not in the marathon results. I've contacted them about it so I hope they can rectify it. If Ian managed to track me, that means my chip must have been working OK, so not sure why this happened.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done for getting it done Cal, and good to know you're too badly broken this morning.  Just a quick one that I have two club mates who did the race, and they're not in the results either, although they both did the race and completed it....  Probably the results will get rectified, especially as Ian saw your results on the app so they're obviously there somewhere. 

Iain, well done on the race win.  Brilliant running.

Shades, well done to you too.  Would you do it again; I'm presuming you would as you say you enjoyed the event?  I'm just wondering whether to pencil it in for next year, as it's reasonably local

I didn't run yesterday but did a nice, long walk.  This was partly because on Saturday I was out with friends until late - drinking beers, and then the obligatory late night curry meant not getting in until about 1am.  Oh well, I don't do it that often these days, and it was good to see them, especially as a couple of them are Arsenal fans so they were pleased with the result.  Anyway, I'll be doing a run today.

I used to be a massive F1 fan but, to me, the sport has been ruined with the restrictions on the cars (1.6L engines....I mean, come on!  This is F1!!).  Anyway, I was really intrigued that Alonso got permission to not drive in Monaco this weekend, but went and raced the Indy 500 instead as a "rookie".  I've only watched the Indy 500 a couple of times and it didnt really inspire me at all (going round and round in circles for 200 laps), but I have to say it was an amazing race.  Alonso didn't win (his engine blew up which scuppered any chances), but he said he'll be back.  His stated aim is to try and only the second driver to win the "Triple Crown" in racing - Monaco (he's done this), Indy 500 and Le Man.  There was a terrifying crash as well (one car flew through the air and and part way through, landed on top of a wall on its side), but both drivers, unbelievably, walked away.  Those guys have got some nerve as when they were interviewed afterwards, they said they were looking forward to next year's race already.  I think most "mere mortals" would be saying they're never setting foot in a car, ever again!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - it wasn't that sort of stitch, such as too soon after eating or going off too fast.  I tried everything and just had to walk fairly slowly until it cleared but it came back on the downhill running again, I think it's caused by the diaphragm being irritated on the downhills.

Good to know you haven't made that hamstring any worse.  Very flat routes can make the legs ache more than undulating, hope the foot ache clears quickly.
    I'm sure they'll sort the results out for you especially as you were visible on the tracking.

Glad the geese have survived, wonder if they'll stay there or fly away?

Big G - yes, absolutely would do it again, lovely race except for short bumpy track bit.   It was lovely to run on closed roads and the marshalling was brilliant.  The course went through the most amazing villages.   I saw Chair before the start, I see he had a good run, there was another Trotter there too but I didn't know him.  We all wore yellow ribbons to remember Manchester.   

My foot is very sore today, caused by a horrible bit of rough track that then was a bumpy concrete track at 20 miles, not sure why they came off the road at that point.  Only part of the course I didn't like, they might have used this track to put the 'lovestation' as they call it, the drink station at 20 miles.   But annoyingly here the girls working the drink station tried to stop you and got in the way, I'd intended to pick up something to eat but after getting past the first couple of girls both trying to give me gels some silly cow stepped in front of me and asked if I wanted a hug, I just grabbed a water and ran on, so never got anything to eat.   All the other drink stations were fine, at one there was a band and as I ran past the lead singer said 'this was in the hit parade 52 years ago' which really made me laugh and they started to play Ticket to Ride.  Sleepy Dorset at it's best!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've just found out that the nasty concrete part is the only way they can get the course over the dual carriageway, so will just have to put up with it.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G - good to know I'm not the only one. The organisers have had to deal with half marathon, marathon and mile results on the same day so I'm not surprised things have gone a bit Pete Tong. I thought it was odd that they sent the half off an hour before the marathon - should have been the other way around. It was quite hard to run past the arena at 10 miles and see the HM finishers with their medals knowing I still had a few more hours of running left. Eh...well. I'm just glad it wasn't hot as it would've been tough doing most of the race under the sun at its hottest.
    Shades, sorry about the stitch. Usually it's down to intercostal spasm - so something a bit different for you. Hope you get it sorted.
    Lots of music on my run too including Beatles, for obvious reasons (although some of the bands towards the end had cleared off by the time I got there. No hugs though. I don't think I'd want that either (although I will high five kids if I have enough energy). I was particularly grateful to the lady who handed me an ice pop in one of the parks. Best thing ever.
    I'm wondering about the geese too. They might go off in search of mates. There's another gaggle on Clapham Common which isn't far away.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Shades, that would have annoyed me too regarding the hugs.  Mind you, I'm usually grimacing and looking a bit moody whilst running, so they would probably have stayed out of my way anyway   ;)   

I'm doing the race report this evening as there are a few races today too, I think, with it being a BH weekend.  Lots going with Dorchester, Edinburgh, Liverpool, an offroad event, the women's marathon, a Kent marathon, and a 10K.  Plus a guy did a duathlon for Team GB.

Just got back from a run - just 6-miles, but absolutely dripping with sweat when I got back due to humidity, so that wasn't too pleasant.  Off to a food festival this afternoon though.  I like food :smiley:  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-You are still on the tracking so they should sort it out.
    Shades-My cure for stitches is a big deep breath then sharp fast out breath,normally 1 or 2 clears it off as it does something to the diaphragm.
    Guys I have a confession to make,it's hard to face up to it but it looks like I am a running addict :D
    20 miles yesterday,feeling tired after a busy few days yet there I was at 9am in the pouring down rain running 9 miles along the front 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Iain - I didnt realise you were local to Walton. My parents live close by and I was at Rik's "top gun" event supporting.

Cal - a great report! It was a tough event i've heard.

I had an awful run this morning due to hayfever and struggling to run. I'm going to keep trying and just keep it easy but we'll see how i get on!
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal! Must be a relief to get that one done. Hope you recover well and get rid of any niggles. 

Another good marathon for you, too Shades, despite the stitch. My granny was born in Dorchester too! Must be a nice place for a race.

You are racking up those miles, Ian, don't forget to recover too!

I had the Vitality 10K this morning. Ran quite evenly paced miles but was almost a minute off last year's time. Finished in 40:20. Legs feel fine now so maybe I should have tried harder! Jo Pavey won the women's race and Andrew Butchard who won the men's high 5'd my son in the final straight! OH got a PB (50:13). It's a really well organised race, despite the crowds and the last mile has a slight decline which is very welcoming.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, SK! That's really fast. Sub-40 is tantalisingly close, no? (I can only dream - my PB is 53:35).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - there's a lot of races on at the moment so keeps you busy on a Monday doing the press stuff.
    Ian5 said:

Guys I have a confession to make, it's hard to face up to it but it looks like I am a running addict :D
    20 miles yesterday, feeling tired after a busy few days yet there I was at 9am in the pouring down rain running 9 miles along the front 
    Yes!! Congratulations on becoming a running addict :) :) 

I'm memorising all 'cures' for a stitch should I have the same problem this weekend, thanks Ian and Cal.

Emmy  - sorry about the hay fever, I guess this is the worse month for you.

SK - if you ever fancy a country marathon or even the half it would be a great visit for the family.   There is camping there and I've been reliably informed very posh showers.  The site is only a 10 minute walk into Dorchester if you want a drink or two and lots of food available on site, looked quite posh catering I think you had to pre order some of it.   I only bought a latte which was made in a Land Rover all set up with a proper coffee maker and the girl serving was wearing wellies :)

Well done at the 10km and to OH for his PB.  Glad Jo Pavey is OK, I never actually heard why she didn't finish London.

Very muggy this morning although not that warm, lots of nasty little flies around too but I was running near water.   My legs have recovered more quickly from this marathon which is good as have DD on Saturday, my foot is still sore though but getting better, this is just my arthritis or whatever chronic foot pain that I've had for a few years now.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes it's good there are so many races really, and my reports are well received by the club, which makes it worth while.  

SK, well done on that 10K.  Great running there.

Nothing much to report here on the running front.  I think I may not run today but do a nice coastal walk if the weather holds, but will run tomorrow regardless.
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Emmy - I live in Gravesend but I often do the Phoenix runs. I quite like the low key events, it's just the multiple laps that kill me. Still not sure if I want to do another 6 hr event yet because 8 laps was a struggle.

i did say that I was going to take a week off from running to let my body recover before training resumes but I'm itching to get out. Might just get on the bike to keep insanity at bay.
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    MF - glad that there is still some wine left ;)

Big G - sounds like you have done a lot of walking the last few days, nice steady parkrun from you as well. I think 1.5 miles each way would be much nicer than my 3.5-4 miles but it seems to work ok for me. It's certainly not too far beforehand, but I'd like to only have a 1-2 mile cool down in an ideal world. I did get offered a lift home on saturday but was so sweaty I though they would regret it if I took them up on the offer!

Re the F1 I dip in and out of it these days. Have enjoyed a couple of races this year, though Monaco was the most boring race I've ever seen. It was just impossible to overtake, when people got desperate and tried near the end they all crashed. Think the wider cars this year made it even tougher than usual. Did enjoy the football though, being an Arsenal fan!

Ian - you certainly appear to be loving your running at the moment, you must be an addict lol

Shades - well done at Dorchester, although you struggled a bit. I hate humidity as well. I sometimes get a stitch when I'm working hard, particularly on a downhill section, haven't quite figured out why yet, normally passes after a few mins if I back off slightly.

Iain - well done on the race win! Nice photos too.

Cal - good run at Liverpool. Sounds like you paid a bit for the fast start but otherwise it went better than expected? Rest up well and look after yourself a bit, try and make sure the injury doesn't get any worse! Weird that you (and others) are missing from the results, hope they sort it.

After running saturday morning I spent the rest of the weekend shopping and building furniture, but the good news is that there was no reaction from my knee/foot to my long ish run with a tempo section so it seems that is just about fully healed.