Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Steven - I can't use the usual sports drinks either they upset my stomach, that's why I use electrolytes without the added sugars.   The Zero tabs are easy to use, don't see much of the Nuun tabs now, but you can get the Zero are individually wrapped so ideal for carrying with you on a race.   Just googled the Nuun tablets and they are twice the price of the Zero, probably why we don't see so much of them now.

SK - sorry I forgot you were racing too today, hope that hamstring is OK, I guess it's stiffened up after a couple of days rest.   My Pilates teacher always tells us that even if we do nothing all day we must stretch our hamstrings, we were talking about holidays at the time.

Well done on doing your 100th parkrun, and good of you to do the tail walking too. 

Ian - it's a good but scary feeling knowing that you have prepared to the best of your ability on marathon morning.   I'll be thinking of you today. 

mamafox - I'm not racing today, couldn't find a road marathon closer than Ian's race and I've run out of budget for any more weekend trips away, it's a 5/6 hour drive each way to Lancaster.  

Do they have parkruns in France?

A basket of fruit is a nice prize but it doesn't really do the same as cheese, biscuits or pate.

Good luck at your race today, far preferable than trying to do a LT run at home

• Options
    Good luck to everyone racing today. 

Thanks for letting us know about the Hi Five Marathon pack on offer in Lidl Shades. I bough one yesterday and there is loads of gels and hydration tablets etc in there. I have a 12 miler planned later and plan to try one of the Zero tablets in my water. Will take one wrapped up on my marathon to use at around 10 mile point. Lidl also sell a four pack of Isotonic drinks really cheap for £1.20. Interesting blue colour but I really like the taste. 

My race is 4 weeks from today and I am starting to feel a bit nervous. It's an early start 9.30am. Starts at Alexander Stadium and finishes 4 miles away in Bham town centre.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Good luck if you decide to race it.
    Mama-I have a feeling you'll race really well today.
    Shades -Thanks again,just getting ready,you're right it is scary,starting to second guess my training and is the time too fast but I knew I'd feel like this so ignoring it.I do wish I'd done a couple more 20 miles but I have done a lot of miles in the last few months so hopefully get the gain today.
  • Options
    Hmm so out of practice for racing, forgotten when i eat and how much coffee i consume pre race etc ;) Still race is not to 11 so be fine. Maybe con brother and family to watch being i suggested they go to a touch a truck event over end of town. He also wants one of my tv's so if he goes it makes handing it over easier.

Depending on how i cope with todays 10 mile race depends on whether i enter cumbrian run which is 2 weeks time. Less bothered by being slow in that one as there is zero chance of me being at the back in a pretty large half marathon. Would also slot in well with my trip to london thursday until monday for a mini holiday. Not exactly going to be doing any long runs of more than 5 miles as i'd either get lost or not have enough time to squueze it in around breakfast opening hours in the hotel and visiting hours for the various attractions ;)

Now the only question is will i go under 1:45 for my 10 miler today or not. Maybe but i doubt i'll go under 1:40 not exactly flat. I shall think off the buffet at the finish though to keep me going ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    John - those packs from Lidl are good value.  You should get on fine with the Zero tabs, no sugars to upset the stomach.

Re pre marathon anticipation, all you can do is plan what can be planned ahead, what kit you will wear - check weather forecast frequently in the last few days - what you will pack in your bag for the day - timing of arrival to the start, give yourself plenty of time for those long loo queues - and how fast you will run the first half of the race.

Ian - you have done plenty of long runs, all those miles you did training for your ultra are in the bank. :) 

Keith - good luck today, it's great that you've got your running and racing mojo back again with a 10 miler today and a half planned for a couple of weeks time, get that entry in.

Maybe when/if you start thinking of doing a marathon again you might consider one of Davey's Plym Trail races as quite close when you're next  doing your family visit to Devon.   Although it says trail, the surface is road.

• Options
    Hi folks. I got through Richmond half today without keeling over, which is one positive as yesterday I was feeling very wibbly wobbly and wasn't even sure if I should run at all. (I mean, I wasn't not going to run, because I'm stubborn, but I was also aware that running might not be the brightest move).
    Anyway, had a nice chat with a chap on the train there, who happened to be a PE teacher, then headed into Starbucks just past Kew station for the customary double espresso. I felt mostly OK but still not 100%. Dumped my baggage, cursing inwardly that I had forgotten my bin bag as I was in shorts and vest and it was a bit grey and chilly, then headed for the portaloos. The loo situation was infinitely worse than last year. I just about made it in time for needed pee before my wave set off, so there wasn't time for a warm-up, let alone meeting up with Little Nell and another lady I know.
    I realised a PB wasn't going to happen today but I'd have liked to gone under 2 hours. My first mile was 9:11 so just outside target, then I did a slightly faster mile for mile 2 and a sub-9 for mile 3. Problem was, I had to work hard to hit those speeds, and it wasn't a pace I could maintain. I was in the 9.teens for a while but after mile 10 that became 9:30s, then just under 10 for mile 12 and just over 10 for the final mile. Not brilliant. I stopped my watch at 2:02:37 but the official time is 2:02:34 which, ironically, was my HM PB from 2015, and which I was utterly thrilled with at the time.
    I have definitely lost aerobic fitness and endurance because I was getting quite gassed towards the end. Watch data shows my stride shortening and cadence dropping a little too, so it was clear I was just getting tired.
    Whilst the results is a little disappointing, I'm not going to beat myself up for it because, between the anterior tib issue, the hip issue and the bug bite and antibiotics, I haven't had the most consistent training in the run-up. Plus I've had a pretty crap year since April, so it wasn't like I was at the top of my form to start with.
    I ran into the PE teacher again on the way back so had a pleasant chat going home too.
    The big positives are that my hamstring was barely noticeable, apart from one twinge at around mile 10, and although my hip is a little tight, nothing really bothered me during the race. The sorest bit of me is actually my mid-back (thoracic vertebrae and postural muscles) rather than my legs. I'll have to get my osteo/massuer to give it a good crack on Wednesday.
    I also feel less wibbly wobbly after the race than before.
    Hopefully I can get myself right in time for Royal Parks. At least I know I will complete RP without issue, even if I'm not at my best. But I'd like to do better than today, for sure. It's three weeks away, so if anyone (Shades?) has any tips for sharpening myself up, let me know.
  • Options
    Shades - Yeah i was doing just that ;) Although strictly speaking mother is meant to be moving up here espcially now brother and family have moved midway between me and gran/aunt in Carlisle. The obvious marathon to loosely aim for is my local one Windermere but if this goes well i would fully expect to be doing them before May. Just not as fast as before for a while.

Anyways i almost scrapped sub 1:40 today somehow gonna have to wait for the official result but i clocked about 12 seconds over 1:40. Was a sub 8:30 last mile too albeit its mostly downhill ;) We do go up the hill to start with which i crawled up. Shall enter cumbrian run later, probably between bathing and ordering dominos. Surely i have earnt it today and it will be used for dinner tomorrow too as i cba shopping til then. Strava claims this race has 800 foot of climb in it, it is not flat as its up or down most of the way with the big climb up at the start and you drop down to do the middle third loop too which itself has a long steady climb before a long drop before going back up a steep hill onto the main road for home.
  • Options
    Well done Cal and Keith.. enjoy your pizza Keith  :)

Cal - You're made of sterner stuff than me, after all you've been stricken down with recently you did well to get out there and get a decent time too. Best to wait until Shades comes along for some sharpening advice!

Shades - I think there are a couple of parkruns in France.. I've heard of one in Bordeaux.. but absolutely none round here thank God.

Managed to get myself down to the HM today with the objective of just going as fast as I could hang on for. This turned out to be not as fast as I'd hoped, I didn't even get near my max HR of 191 but stayed at an average of 174. I knew I wouldn't get anywhere near what my predicted HM would be based on my marathon time but I was hoping to get under 1h40. When the first km came out at 5min/km and the second not far behind then I knew a sub 1h40 would be unlikely. I kept a pretty constant pace for the race and crossed the line in 1h41 which I was a bit disappointed with. I need to crack on with my marathon training now and I also need to lose 5 kilos sooner rather than later  :/

Anyway, signing off for a bit now. My grandmother died this week so I am going back to Wales tomorrow for her funeral which will be on Wednesday. She will actually be buried on what would have been her 96th birthday, a good age to live to and thankfully she was on form right up until just a couple of weeks before.

Good running everyone  :)

• Options
    Well done Keith, a cracking time.

mamafox, sorry about your grandmother but it sounds as though she lived well up to the last.
    Well done on the HM but I understand the disappointment all too well. Weight hasn't helped me unfortunately - I'm half a stone lighter now than when I ran 1:57 in February. I've just had a crap few months.

Felt my legs stiffening up this afternoon so popped out for a quick walk. Seems to have helped a bit. I have a pretty fierce headache though, and my stomach doesn't feel to impressed by my lunch. I guess the intestinal flora haven't quite recovered despite my throwing Actimel down my neck every day.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Glad race after the last few weeks.
    MF-Hope everything goes as well as it can in Wales.
    Lancaster Marathon for me today.Its a new race and I'm usually not keen to do new races in case of any issues but I've ran with them before and they have a lot of races so thought it would be ok and it was.
    After lots of deliberating the last few weeks I  (we :-) )decided on heading out at 3:30 pace and see where it ended,even this morning I thought it may be too ambitious but decided to stick with it.
    The first few miles were pretty easy,only issue was 2 horsewomen wouldn't go single file and we had to squeeze through a hedge to get past and I got nettled,haven't been stung for years,but after a mile or so it seemed to go.The miles ticked by pretty well and I got to half 1:44:15 slightly ahead of pace which I didn't want with it being a fast pace anyway,so I tried to slow slightly,it was a pretty flat course so quite easy to get into a rythym,I hit 20 miles at around 2:40 which was bang on my original target pace,i still felt pretty good and thought I may be able to kick on in the last 10k,and that was my biggest mistake.....the change in form quickening up caused me to cramp slightly in the left hamstring,stopped to stretch it and carried on but by 24 miles it was the rights turn,i decided not stop and just hobble,after a few mins it went and I raced on to face the worst race ending hill I've known,it was a very tough,steep climb then the final turn was also uphill but over cobbles.Delighted to see the clock show under 3:35 as I thought I'd lost that,came in at around 3:34:40 so overall very happy.its a 25 min PB compared to February and if I get it right there's more there still.
    Only bad part was they said bottled water at each stop so I'd planned on dropping my electrolyte tab in there to help but a lot of the stations were cupped water and no good for me so that may have also helped me avoid cramp,also I think I took my gels a bit close together as after 2.5 hrs I couldn't bear another so missed out on my last one.
    Nice medal and t-shirt and lots of fruit,sweets,drinks and hot pies you could help yourself to and i would do it again.
  • Options
    Well done on the HM Cal, that's still good going, especially with how you've been feeling lately. And sounds as if you pulled too!  ;) 

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, MF,  but good to see that you have longevity genes. Hope all goes OK next week. Well done on the HM too.

Congrats too to Keith for your HM. Seen Ian's results on Strava but I'll let him post his time :)

Had a good day at the Harrow HM. Lovely to run on local roads which were closed and got lots of support from people I knew on the route. And my 17 yo son even made it out of bed to cheer me on at the end of our road as it went past. It had a horrible hill right at the start and then again at the end, but managed to run pretty much the same time as Maidenhead (1:27:19). I actually felt better at the end than at Maidenhead so now wishing I'd pushed harder! Was 3rd lady and also got trophy for 1st V40. I think Mara Yamauchi but have been not racing it as she finished in 1:32 :) Hamstring feels better now than it did before the race, athough if I touch it, it feels like a bruise. Shades - I think you may be right re niggles appearing when you don't run. I rarely have 2 days off in a row, and when I do, this often seems to happen.
  • Options
    Cross post, well done Ian. As I said on Strava, you were right not to go for 3:45!

BTW - I have given up on gels and shot bloks now in favour of Percy Pigs, from M&S. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    mamafox - so sorry to hear about your Gran, what a great age though.

That's still 91% MHR in your half marathon which is pretty high, that's what I would expect to hit in a 10k so you were pushing hard.

Ian - well done, that's a phenomenal PB, be very proud of yourself.  :):)  

Those pesky hamstrings again, but you did recover from  the cramp for a strong finish and a tough finish at that.   So more work on your stretching and hill work and eventually that cramping won't happen.   Annoying about not being able to use the tabs, they do take a while to dissolve, alternative is to grind them to a powder and drop the powder into the cup, you can drink it straight away although it might make you burp.   Maybe consider the Elete which is a liquid concentrate and you only use a few drops.

I think we all know your target for Chester, although I think there is a little hill near the finish. 

Cal - that's still a very good time, 5 mins off your PB is not much.   I suspect that with your hamstring problem plus all the other stuff that your aerobic base is weakened and not  being able to do enough mileage to sustain it.  I don't think there's any point in trying to do a load of speedwork as what's missing is your endurance base, so I would suggest you use the next 3 weeks to try and get yourself back to feeling normal again and do all your runs at slow easy to long pace, allowing your body to just feel good again.   I don't know how long it takes to restore gut bacteria but I would imagine it's a few weeks?

And as SK said, well done on pulling the PE teacher :D

Keith - that's a good result for you today too.   Didn't realise your mother was going to move up nearer you.   Maybe you could consider Lancaster marathon too next year, Ian says there were hot pies at the finish :)

SK - great racing from you today, Mara Yamauchi is a significant scalp, well done on your prizes too.   That sounds like a really nice race.   Be careful with that hamstring, if it's sore to touch there's some damage there.

Percy Pigs are yummy 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-When you say more stretching that wouldn't be hard as I haven't done any,I really need to start though.
    But I am very proud,still looking at that picture and seeing the difference 30 months can make and getting a time like that is unreal.
    What type of mileage should I be doing now as I have 3 weeks until Chester?
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all! A great weekend of racing here! Well done Cal, Keith, Ian and SK

SK - Percy Pigs are my downfall... I'm lucky that I dont live in the UK as i'd be scoffing them all the time!
    Cal - Richmond Half doesnt sound good :( Especially with the awful loo situation.
    Mamafox - Sorry to hear about your gran :(

Shades - a little bit of last minute advice if you will. I did 18miles yesterday and felt good (as in wasn't tired... ). The plan would be 20miles this week but the only day that i've got time to do it is tomorrow. That's only 2 days of recovery. I'm half thinking of using this week as a recovery week and do 13/15 miles and then hit 20 next week? What do you think? Or alternatively, I can bust out 20 miles tomorrow realising that i'm likely to be quite tired from it? Any thoughts?

• Options
    Well done everyone who raced today. 

Percy pigs wow ! They're my favourite and you've talked me into taking some with me on my Marathon
  • Options
    lol it's just clipped my big post again hmmmmmm. That's it I'm going to copy and paste every post from Word from now on 
  • Options

12 miler this afternoon. Got soaked to the skin after 2 miles. Then weather improved and dried out nicely. Chose a hilly route and took a gel at mile 6 and also put a Hi Five Zero Electrolye tablet in my water bottle. Tasted bit salty initially but got used to it after a while.  Run went well and particularly enjoyed running back up a big hill. I feel I cope better with hills these days just shortening my stride and pushing on. I had another gel on me but didn't need it today. If this makes sense I was thinking on my run about how little I think when I'm running and that's why I love to run. It just empties my brain. My brother In Law said recently he just hates running because he finds it boring and monotonous and I think it must depend on your personality and mindset whether you want to run or not. I just wish so so much I'd started to run at a younger age. 

Anyway, the rain came back for the last couple of miles of my run but I didn't mind. Lovely meal with family at the local tonight and a couple of recovery drinks were just what the Doctor ordered

• Options
    Shades/SK - ha ha, no. Just a pleasant chat. Fellow was well married. :lol:
    Emmy - it's the third time I've run it and it remains one of my favourite races, but it's just very popular so there are going to be loo queues. I probably left going a bit late, honestly.
  • Options
    Cal - shame!

Pic with Mara!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    SK: two legends in that picture! 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - how are the legs today?   Re period before Chester, nice easy recovery week this week.  If you're feeling good at the weekend and no aftereffects do 12 to 15 miles at easy to long run pace.  Then you're into tapering again.

30 months is a very short time in the world of marathon running and training and the progress you've made is astounding.

Emmy - yes, I agree with you, there's nothing to be gained by doing another long run 2 days after the last one!  So yes, use this week as a step back week and postpone the 20 until next week.   You seem to be training really well.

John - there is a button to Save Draft, you could try using that quite often when posting, it does work, but if you're posting from your phone that might be the problem.   Bit annoying to have to paste from Word.

You had a really good run yesterday, good you got on with the Zero tab OK, I only put half a tab in a 500 ml bottle as don't like it too strong.   I know exactly what you mean about what running does for your brain, I find running great 'me time' and if I need to resolve a problem I can seem to do that logically and calmly when I'm running.  

SK - fab photo :)  I think she's a great ambassador for women's marathon running.

Chilly and dark this morning, patches of mist which were quite cold to run through, but no wind so not unpleasant for running.   Managed to do my return run on the back roads, I could only just see in the gloom, still some dickheads that don't dip their lights for a pedestrian :#  

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Shades-When you say more stretching that wouldn't be hard as I haven't done any,I really need to start though.
    Right, I'm going to start a stretching class on here for you and others that need it, one new exercise a day.   I'll post the first exercise later this morning, when I get back from my Yogalates class.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    SK-Great picture,one for a frame that.
    John -Running is a great mind clearer for me,my job is quite stressful at times and running has helped me so much with it,after a couple of hours out I feel so much better.
    Emmy-Sounds like the mojo is definitely returning.
    Shades -I only ran my first marathon 18 months ago so hopefully lots of progress to come,the 30 months was from when I got off the couch  :) I still remember phoning the wife saying I've just ran a mile non stop and being delighted  :D
    Legs are ok today,bit tight but always are in morning,going for recovery run soon and got a massage booked for later,he's in my new club so good to talk to him.
    Also,the night of my marathon I usually struggle to sleep,my legs cramp through the early hours,but last not I had no issues at all,better fitness I suppose.
  • Options
    Shades - great idea re the stretching exercises! I find in my fitness class, when he says do your own stretches for 5 mins, I'm clueless! Whereas the hockey people know exactly what stretches to do.
    My bday today, so get the day off work (it's company policy!)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    My sleep is always shite after a race too, Ian. I woke up before 4 today. Read for half an hour then tried to go back to sleep. No deal. :/
    Decided not to run today as I always seem to pick up a niggle if I run on little sleep. I will go to yoga though.
    Happy Birthday, SK!
    By the way, what are everyone's favourite Autumn maras? (Because I will aim for one next year). Oh and I've already entered Richmond half again next year. Early bird and all that.  :p
  • Options
    Bit of advice needed please. I am planning transport for my marathon, but its an early start so public transport isn't an option on a Sunday morning, so I am thinking of driving. I know its maybe a difficult question to answer but based on your experiences would you advise me to not attempt to drive after my first Marathon. I drove after my first HM without any problems. Taxi is the other option. Any advice welcome thanks.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Ian -  if only 18 months since your first marathon, well that's even more impressive.

Make sure that massage is very gentle, not something I'd advise after a marathon.

That's progress that your legs didn't cramp during the night, you are definitely dealing with those cramps, we'll get there.

SK - Happy Birthday  :) that's a great company policy that your employer has 

Cal - there are a lot of good autumn marathons, IMHO better selection than Spring ones, do you want UK or overseas, flat, undulating? 

John - as you drove after your first half marathon I think you'll be OK driving home after your marathon.  I guess you don't have too far to drive?   But don't get in the car straight away, walk a bit, you'll probably have to do that anyway to get to your car as you're doing a city race.  When you finish the race, get something to eat and a tea or coffee, put on warm clothes and stroll gently to your car.  Don't drive like a boy racer, your calf muscles won't appreciate any heavy braking.   You'll probably only go 'ouch' when you park up at home and go to get out of the car.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Happy birthday,we let staff request any time off they want as long as they give us 4 weeks notice so everyone can take their birthdays off.
    Cal-I know Chester always gets highly recommended but I've not done it yet.
    Shades-I wasn't too sure about the massage,but I had one a couple of days after my ultra and it seemed to help.
    Been out for my recovery run,I planned 5 but got into autopilot and ended up doing 6,felt ok after the first 2 miles,lots better than previous runs.I need to be careful though as after my track marathon I done some speed work too quick and injured myself so not going to make that mistake again.
    Another good thing with yesterdays race was free photos,got one where I look way too happy after 25 miles
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Right starting the stretches now, these are gentle very basic stretches, all to be done gently.  Doing these on a regular (daily) basis you will know if you have any tiredness or tight spots that you might want to be careful of.   I stretch before and after every run, but nowadays research tends to advise not to stretch before a run, but I prefer to do so, maybe because I run soon after getting out of bed, I like to know if there's any tightness before I set off for my run.   I only hold each stretch for a few seconds (maybe 10 seconds), just enough to feel it gently if you want to stretch for longer then that's fine.   I would advise for a race, once you've done your warm up, a little jog, then stretch before the race.  

All the stretches are to be done standing up and can be done anywhere.

CALF STRETCH

Lean into the wall/tree/lamppost/whatever until you feel the stretch in your calf and hold.

SOLEUS STRETCH

Release the pressure then move your rear leg much closer to the other foot and gently bend your knees and you should feel a stretch in the soleus, which is the lower part of your calf.   Be gentle on this exercise.

Repeat on other leg.