Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, for what it's worth, I do think slowing down will help you if you want to get quicker at the marathon. Counterintuitive possibly, but it helps with endurance. For me, I know when I'm fit as I can do a 20-miler at an easy pace and then think I could do it again the day after. If you do it too quickly, you won't feel like that. 

Mowzer, yes we walked along that ridge, but climbing up to the top was the worst bit for me. A proper scramble and a few people decided not to do the last bit. Strange, as in the guide book it said it was 'family friendly', which personally I'd say was optimistic. 

We went up the higher 'Old Man Coniston' yesterday, which was steeper and more technical in places. That involved a fairly steep ridge too. It was really cold up there, but we saw a fell runner come up in shorts and a vest, touch the cairn, and then leg it back down the otherside. We did just over 9 miles on the walk, and I did a short 4-miler in the morning (including a bakery stop...).

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Lovely photos Big G, it really is a lovely part of the country.    

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Final section of stretches

HIP FLEXOR

Place foot on edge of wall or any stable surface, bend front knee and lean into the stretch until you can feel it

HAMSTRING STRETCH

Then straighten the leg and gently lean from the waist until you can feel the stretch in your hamstring.

Note -  If you are not very flexible and/or your hamstrings are tight you can do these stretches on a lower surface, do not injure yourself by trying to use too high a surface for you. :'(

That's your lot, a set of basic stretches for running.
  • Options
    Shades - thanks for info. No issues, just curious as some runners get really involved in 100MC as soon as they hit 50 and others say they won't count themselves as 'proper' members until they have completed the 100.
    Are you doing Loch Ness this weekend?

Big G - more beautiful photos  :) 'Family friendly' - perhaps they mean youngish, fit, outdoor type parents with no grannys tagging along. As I get older I get more anxious about taking myself out into even much gentler countryside, but when my 2 oldest were young they were dragged round some wildish bits (although I was just inexperienced but optimistic!)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    mowzer - before most runners were like you and I and affiliated to another club so took a back seat club wise when we were wannabees and only went through changing our 1st claim club when we were able to run in 100MC kit and therefore taking a lot more interest in club politics.   A lot of runners now are not members of any other club so 100MC is the first club they've joined.

I'm so glad I've left, I believe the minutes of that meeting where decisions were made but not minuted to members have still not been issued.   And I'm still waiting after several months to get a response to by request on when my name will be disassociated with the club on UKA/RunBritain website, despite me asking DL at the time of my resignation several times.   Best thing I ever did was leave.  :)

Yes, at Loch Ness this weekend :)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29  
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15  
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59  

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26  
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine  

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17 

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades - 5:13

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades - 5:29:59  B 

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G - 5:09:58 B

24th June
    Giantshead
    Emmy - 5:56

24th/25th June
    Harp 24
    mowzer - 28 miles

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades - 4:59:57

2nd July
    Wirral Ultra
    Ian5 - PB 7:01 

9th July
    LDWA From Here to There
    mowzer 9:06

15th July
    Chiltern Challenge 50km
    Steve - PB 5:06 

23rd July
    Ironman Marathon
    Iain - 3:29:54

29th July
    Enigma Planes
    Big G - 4:35

6th August
    Gloucester
    Big G - 3:58:10

12th August
    SVP 100km
    Steve -  PB 12:22 

13th August
    mowzer - 7:50

Isle of Man
    Shades - 4:59:06

3rd September
    City to Sea 
    Big G - 5:28:53

14th September
    Dorney Lake 
    Big G - 4:14:12

17th September
    Lancaster
    Ian -  PB 3:34:41 

24th September
    Barnstaple 
    Big G

Loch Ness
    Shades

30th September
    Plym Trail
    Big G
    Shades
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon list updated, will add October races next week as I'm not sure of all of Big G's races. 

So far for October I have Ian and Little Nell for Chester, Steve and John at Birmingham and Emmy at MCM, Washington.  Anyone else with October marathons/ultras please let me know.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Mowzer, when I saw 'family friendly' I was envisioning people trying to get a buggy up there....!

Shades, just letting you know that I've transferred Barnstaple marathon to next year so my next race is Plym Trail. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I thought you had deferred Barnstaple but didn't want to remove it without conformation from you!

I've just emailed Davey to check if Lesley was doing her 100th that weekend, but she's not, on 85 now.   Her original plan was to aim to do her 100th on the Sunday there.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - if Yorkshire is one you're considering for next year I think you need to sign up by the 25th September to put you first in line for places, you don't have to enter but it just gives you first option.  Used to be January when the entries opened, there's no commitment to enter at this stage.   The race is usually oversubscribed.
  • Options
    Did my original 5 mile training loop from back on the day today which was pleasing. THen after a short break went out on bike for 21 miles. Kinda hungry now as all i have eaten was chicken teriyaki pre run and sausage roll post bike ride whilst bath was filling. Just waiting on British Gas to come do annual service at some point in the next two hours then i may consider packing for my trip to London tomorrow.

Will def spend a bit of time working out where the hell i can run from my hotel ;) The canal is not that far away but not sure where the access points are other than above kings cross station.
  • Options
    Chester and Yorkshire both look good - has anyone here done both? Curious about Birmingham too as it's the first time for that one. Doubt it'll be as scenic as the other two, mind you...
  • Options
    ......I am running York on October 8th....
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    And nell and myself are doing Chester and Steve is doing Birmingham so you will have up to date reviews of them all in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone seen the breaking 2 programme on Nat Geo,I found it really interesting,some interesting stuff like zerseny never had a drink in a marathon and ran 2:10 before he joined the project.It is on again Saturday night if anyone wants to catch it.Kipchoge is an amazing athlete and comes across really humble. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Lily - didn't you do the Yorkshire marathon before or were you marshalling?

Cal - we had a Shadies meet at Chester in 2014, I think 5 or 6 of us were running.  We met up for dinner the night before, Toby Carvery none of that pasta malarkey, and we all ran PB's or SB's, that was where Iain knocked a massive 20 minutes odd off his time and went sub 3 for the first time.   Very well organised race and good race venue at the race course.

I'm sure Birmingham will have more crowd support but if you wait a few weeks Steve and John can give a detailed report of the race.

There are lots of other good autumn marathons, you might want to consider Langdale which is the toughest road marathon in the country, beautiful scenery and challenging course in the Lake District.  Races aren't all about PB's.   Snowdonia is a lovely race too, but a part of it is off road, trail more than mud I think, the course has changed since I did it last.

Ian - I haven't got access to Nat Geo, doubt my guest house in Inverness will either which is where I'll be on Saturday night.   Kipchoge is my favourite marathon runner, agree humble and polite and when he goes home he does the cooking and the cleaning :)

Keith - I take it you no longer are having stomach problems and have settled back into your usual diet ;)   have a good time in London.

Mild and drizzly this morning, nice for running :)

• Options
    Big G - can't believe it's been 3 years. I hope you are enjoying the Lakes. Your photos look lovely on Strava.

Shades - I think Nat Geo are putting the film on their YouTube channel so I'm hoping to watch it some time over the weekend.

Track tonight but I have a busy day at work so hoping I can still make it as I wasn't able to go last week.
  • Options

On the Facebook page for the Birmingham Marathon, there are a lot of people complaining about the fact that no sports drinks will be available on the course, just water. They are also providing GU gels at specific points. As far as I know Great Run events normally provide Lucozade Sports drinks during their events so I think a lot of people will be expecting them to be available. I was wondering if some kind of energy drink is normally available during Marathon races ? I have only ever ran a HM distance before, but I think for Marathons many runners would benefit from energy drinks in the latter part of a Marathon race ?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK, thanks. I've had a great time. Weather has changed today, but we're driving home today. 

Shades, I was looking at Marathons around here, as it is stunning, so Langdale is on the list now...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - thanks for that, I've made a note to look for that film on YouTube at a later date, I'd really like to see it.

John - many big marathons provide sports drinks, but it can be risky to rely solely on sports drinks provided as you could get to a drink station where you'd planned to take a sports drink and find they are all gone.   Also it's advisable to be used to the brand provided.   Often whether they are available is down to sponsorship.   Many runners don't use sports drinks (I don't) as they can upset the stomach easily, I still have memories of my first marathon at London and lots of runners vomiting having taken a sports drink that didn't agree with them. :#   Many runners will run on water alone, I know a lot of runners do that.

At smaller marathons there is often a personal drinks service, quite a few races that I run regularly do this, you deposit your own drink/food in a box at race HQ and it is taken to the drink station of your choice.  Of course this can't be done for big races, except for the elite.

It is best to carry with you what you need, except for water.  I never take sports drinks or gels handed out during a race, always have my own supplies with me.  

• Options
    I've never taken energy drinks during a race, just water and gels. I think they did have some at Manchester but I can't rightly remember about Liverpool. I know they have been available at some halves including Richmond (the one I just did...there are about four or five different Richmond halves) and Thames Meander always has a variety of drinks and snacks, though it is also a marathon.

Shades, one of my criteria for marathons is whether they are easy to get to (near to a mainline station with a straight route from London) and also how much it's likely to cost me to get there. Manchester is easy. Train is expensive but I have free accomodation thanks to my friend, plus I get to see him. Liverpool cost me a lot as the train fare is more and I had to book a hotel. (I was originally going to stay with my friend and he was to drive me over on the day, but then he had to work that Sunday). But I was sufficiently impressed by the race to sign up again.

Anyway, that's the reason I'm not looking to go up to Scotland or Lakes or anything just yet. And I'd also like to have more marathon experience before I sign up for a tough one. The regular road marathons are enough of a challenge for me at this point.

Back is still hurting quite a bit, though I did my yoga class this morning. Hope it goes away soon.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Windermere is a nice marathon too.  

I'd certainly recommend Langdale, I'd like to do it again, it is two laps and doing the hill at the beginning of the 2nd lap is lung bursting. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - in that case Chester would be good for you, the racecourse is in the town, and there is actually a hotel on the racecourse site if you wanted to be even closer.

I'm not sure about York, but if the race starts in a central location that would be good for you transport wise.

Loch Ness would also be easy for you, fly to Inverness, stay in the city, there is a bus that takes all the runners to the start and we run back to Inverness.  Good bus service from airport to Inverness.   I don't use a car on my visit to this race.  You'd probably get a flight cheaper than a train fare to some cities.   I've paid £60 for my flight, I book on the day the flights came out which was in November, Easyjet for me.   Accommodation is expensive in Inverness so again book early, you'd probably need 2 nights

As you were able to do your yoga hopefully your back will be OK soon.

• Options
    Too much talk of marathons on here! I'm going to feel left out for the next year or so :( The only one that tempts me at all is Loch Ness for the scenery. I hope the weather is OK for it this w/end, Shades. A club friend is also running it.

Bit wet here, but at least I'm not still working so can slip and slide all over the track!
  • Options
    Shades, I ran the first York marathon in 2013. Since then I have marshalled a couple of times. Then last year I decided to do it again! Last lonely long run done today 15.7 miles, Achilles and knee ok thank goodness
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    John-If you do have energy drinks,watch you don't have too much the same time as gels in case you have too much sugar at once.
    Cal-I'm sure you are aware but when you're planning long train trips,the tickets get released 12 weeks before,then usually a few days after that the advance tickets are cheapest.Also look at splitting it,even sitting on the same train I've got cheaper buying liverpoool-crewe and crewe to london for example,it's also often cheaper buying London-stockport,then stockport to Manchester,same train just the rubbish way the ticketing system works at times.
    I've pretty much planned my races for the early part of next year now,got 2 alternative plans depending on if I get into London or not.The autumn will depend on if I see 3:15 as achievable in the spring or not,depending on how I get on.If I achieve 3:15 in the spring then I might do something like Langdale,if I'm close then I can have another go in the Autumn so will be looking for an easier one.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm back in Sunny Devon, after a long drive home.  The motorway signs said there were huge delays near Bristol, and the Sat Nav also recommended going into Wales and back out to avoid Bristol, so that's what we did.  That route was 30-miles longer, but it was an hour quicker according to the Sat Nav, and it was good to keep moving rather than being stuck in a queue.  We stopped a couple of times at services, and it took 8 hours in total.  I've had a fantastic break away with a lot of walking (about 40 miles in total), but not a huge amount of running (just 16 miles).  When I got home, I dumped my stuff in the washing machine and then went for a 4-miler to stretch the legs, and my left knee feels okay.  Shades, yes I think it was the same issue I had after London, but it looks to have gone again.

I am making a note of that amount of walking, especially as it was all a week after Dorney Marathon, but I know it does not "count" for running mileage.  I'm suitably tired, though!

For the marathon list, for October I have booked:
    - Munich - 8th Oct
    - Abingdon - 21st Oct
    I have two more in mind, but I'm going to wait before I enter them, as it'll depend on how I am feeling.   So I'd prefer them not to be added to the list just yet, if that's okay.  The first possible is day 2 of Plym Trail and if I do this it'll be my first double - I've emailed Davey and he knows I'm considering Day 2, and I've asked him if he thinks I could enter on the day (he hasn't responded yet).  The second possible is Dartmoor Vale.  Of those two, I currently think day 2 of Plym Trail is more likely than DMV.  This is partly because I have entered a double in early Nov, and also because I don't especially like DMV!

Apart from the double in early Nov, there's currently nothing else I have booked in November, although Cornish Marathon is a possibility (I've not entered it yet).
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, Big G recommend this forum. (Club Mates) I've read a few posts and see I'm going to get lots of help and advise. I'm still class myself as a new runner as unsure when if  you ever change from novice to pro. I've been running two years starting as couch to 5K Oct 2015. I've done 3 marathons  (London 4.21, Cider Frolic and City to Sea) this year and have Birmingham and Dartvale in October. My big target
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    SK - thank you for the Nat Geo YouTube link.   I think I've got the plumber/electrician coming to do some work this morning so that will keep me occupied while he's doing his stuff.

I'm hoping our talk of marathons doesn't make you feel left out but maybe will give you more desire to run another one when you're ready.   Loch Ness is a good race, about 2,500 finishers in the marathon so enough company on the course but not crowded.

Lily - well done on getting your last long run done and the achilles and knee are OK, you can enjoy the taper now.

Ian - crikey, I had to bully you into doing the odd hilly run a few months ago and now you're talking about Langdale :o  

Big G - welcome home after a long drive :(   Good news that the knee seems OK again, may just be one of those intermittent niggles that come and go.    40 miles walking over that terrain is still good training, strength training for your legs and aerobic too.

I'll add the October races when I update the marathon list next week, I won't add anything until you've entered the race.

If you're thinking about the Cornish it does usually fill before the closing date.  

I've not run DMV for years since they moved the date to clash with Dublin and of course there is no contest.   But I may end up doing DMV next year as I may not be going to Dublin as the Mavericks are planning an autumn marathon trip and I have targeted an event in Listowel in Ireland in September so will have to see how the budget is.

Welcome Jelly to the thread.   You've achieved a lot starting with Couch to 5k and a couple of years later well into the marathons and Cider Frolic and C2S are tough races too.   You've definitely got the marathon bug :)
    I guess the end of your post should say that your big target is DD as I've seen that in your mail.  I think your phone has cut off the end of your post.   I will reply to your mail in a little while.

Rest day for me today, was planning a short run but I've been waiting for the plumber to come back from his holidays and then he suddenly said he would come this morning but I don't know what time and I want to try and get out to do a food shop early before he comes.