Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Jelly - they want to race as Mavericks but may want to continue to train with and be a member of the Trotters.   I was first claim with the Trotters for about 8 years and then switched to 2nd claim with the Trotters for a few more years, I only dropped my membership when Trotters increased the 2nd claim membership fee to the same as 1st claim.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with getting faster or winning.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm quite enjoying the carb-loading.  Do you remember I had that massive pumpkin the other week?  Well, yesterday I made a pumpkin and chocolate cake, and some spiced pumpkin cup cakes.  That'll do :)  I have to say, the chocolate cake in particular is very nice!  I can't eat it all though as there's loads of it, but a couple of friends moved into a new house on Wednesday so I'm going around later and I'll be taking cake :)  Oh, and wine!

• Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Big G - you're a man of many talents  ;) 

mamafox & Cal - hope your injuries resolve themselves soon.

Shades - that video is great. Our local club coach would love it - she's a strong proponent of 'silly walks' (and singing with actions when it gets tough).  :D
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yummy, they look great.  Halloween carbo loading :)    Anything you can't eat now will freeze for next week's marathons.  

I picked up a pumpkin this morning in the shop then put it back as I have no space in my freezer to freeze stuff, might get one next week if they've got any left.

mowzer - it is a great video, very inspirational, I've watched it loads of times.  

Just had a text from Dublin Marathon :(    I should be on my way to the airport now.   The race is live on YouTube on Sunday with commentary so I might watch it

• Options
    Shades, sorry to hear about Dublin. That sucks.

Big G - entries are open for next year's Bake Off!

Back seems to be improving. I think the hip is too but it remains pretty cross when I wake up. I did run again today (gorgeous out - sunny and fresher than yesterday). 2.5 miles this time. My calves are grouchy, but that's because they've had a month off and aren't used to it.

Went to the docs afterwards. Different doc again (I swear I've lived here over 20 years and I don't think I've ever seen the same doctor twice). He's referred me to the musculo-skeletal department but said it would take 6-8 weeks, so that's almost useless. I'm hoping the issue will have resolved by then. I will keep up with the shorter runs and glute/hip exercises.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - great news that you are making progress.

6-8 weeks is a long time to wait, but you might as well go through it just to check all is OK.

I think Big G would be great on Bake Off :)  if he has the weekends free in between all those marathons ;)  

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear your back seems to be improving Cal. On a shoe note, I think I remember seeing that you run in Nike Frees. I'm sniffing round for other shoe options at the moment (not that I can afford any) and they had some Frees on offer at Intersport. They look pretty lightweight - do you use them for long distances or do you swop around with other models?

Big G - Interesting combination, never tried pumpkin and chocolate. 

Shades - Great video, think I might have some co-ordination issues as well though. On a pumpkin note, I've got four hanging around at the moment that people have given to me. As long as they haven't been cut open they keep for ages. 
    Don't think about Dublin.. just keep repeating ConnemaraConnemaraConnemara to yourself  :)

Yesterday I had planned to do an easy forest run with the dogs. This was completely sabotaged by Charlie the Jack Russell. For ages now Charlie has been goading the two large Spanish greyhounds who live up the road. He shoots back and forth by the side of their fence, stopping to shove his nose through and snarl and bark, threatening them all sorts. Naturally they take offence at this and go beserk on the other side. Charlie is under the impression that he is actually a Rottweiler so when yesterday he managed to find a small hole in their fence he was only too delighted to squeeze through it to show his neighbours who was actually the boss. To cut a (very) long story short an hour or so later I was covered in blood for the second time in 2 weeks (not mine this time), at the vets with Charlie hooked up to a drip with a suspected perforated lung amongst other injuries. He is still there today but seems to be pulling through ok. I am dreading how much this is going to cost.. looks like I'll have to remortgage the house. He's having top care and at the time of writing is recovering under a heated blanket(!). We are going to have words when he comes home. There is no way I am going be able to afford a new pair of trainers for La Rochelle now  :/

Anyway, I did manage to get out today without any major incident. I took the rest of the dogs and did an extremely slow 14k in the forest. My leg was pulling a bit but ok, will try and ease back into plan mileage wise, see how it goes and try and convince myself all is on track for marathon in four weeks  :#

• Options
    mamafox - I use them for everything, unless I'm running somewhere muddy and then I use my trail shoes (Nike Terra Kiger) - but I've not had much occassion to use them for a good long while. I wear the most minimal Frees (formerly the 3.0 - now Motions) which have a 4mm drop. They're very light, which I like. I've been using Frees for many years now so I think any other shoes would feel like bricks after that.
    Having said that, the balls of my feet got pretty sore during the last two marathons (even though I wore new shoes for the second) so do bear that in mind. They do a less minimal version (the Distance) which might be better suited to marathons so might be worth trying both.
  • Options
    Big G-baking looks amazing, searching house now for anything cake related. 

Shades-I'll have to watch out for you if your back running over here. Have you ever ran any of our trail/coastal races,some fantastic events.

Wave riders are en route,payday treat.haha

Mamafox-Awh no so sorry to hear about Charlie, I hope he's ok and I'm sure he is in good hands. We had a cocker who thought he was part friesian cow,not a good idea.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - poor Charlie, I hope he's OK.   Bloody terriers though they think they are invincible.   I don't know what a Spanish greyhound looks like but I've seen a retired racing greyhound go for a cat and that was scary :#

Well 14km is not a shabby distance, from saying you couldn't run at all a couple of days ago.  I'll sure you'll be fine for your marathon :)

Re looking for shoes, try this website, put in your favourite shoes and at the bottom it will suggest similar shoes that might suit you.  

https://runrepeat.com/ranking/rankings-of-running-shoes

You can do some research while you're saving up again for shoes. 

Be careful with Frees they're not designed for high mileage, best for short fast stuff, at your mileage they'd only last you 6 weeks or so.   Look for a high mileage shoe.   Nearly all the newer shoes are so much lighter than they were before.

I'm past the stage about losing out on Dublin, this was probably going to be my last year of going to Dublin anyway as it's got so expensive.   Next autumn we have a club marathon trip so need to save some budget for that and I'd like to do Loch Ness again if dates don't clash, we haven't selected where our trip will be yet.   I'm also planning another visit to Ireland to do a 12 hour race in September, just waiting for date to be confirmed.   I'd rather do Connemara than Dublin anyway, was looking at the photos yesterday. 

G & G - no, I don't race off road events, strictly tarmac for me, but I've heard there are some lovely trail events.

Great news on the new shoes, hope you're pleased with them.

Big G & Jelly - weather looks good for you two tomorrow 

Just waiting to book Pilates at 7 a.m. and then for it to get a little lighter before I go for my run.   Stuck my head out the window and quite chilly this morning, internet says 2 degrees :o

• Options
    Mamafox - maybe Charlie just wanted to sympathise with your after your accident, so that’s why he got injured too?! I hope he is OK, glad to hear he is being well looked after with a heated blanket. If you are looking for a light(er) weight shoe, I’d really recommend adidas Boston boosts. Not much support, but really comfortable to race in. I never train in them (except for track) but have run 2 marathons in them no problem. I’ve heard good things about Nike Frees too, but for some reason, I get on better with adidas.

Parkrun PB today..,!!!!!! 18:57 at Poole parkrun. We’ve been in Dorset for a couple of days and did it on the way back home. It was a lovely flat course, really well organised parkrun too. I didn’t feel as exhausted as I do usually and realised at the end that I could break 19 mins so had a sprint at the end.  Very relieved when email confirmed the time! First parkrun PB in 2 years (after running 19:01 in 2015!) I’ll probably pay for it tomorrow when I’m doing my 10 mile race but I don’t care as the race is so hilly it will be painful anyhow!
  • Options
    Managed a nice 3 miles this am.
    Looking forward to watching Dublin tomorrow and hoping to get 5 miles in too.

Shades-Connemara is such a beautiful place,spent many summers there. Have always hoped that someday I may try the Connemara ultra ?

Slowkoala-congrats on the parkrun on,brilliant time. What sort of time is your 10k pb?
    good look with the 10miler!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done SK - that's great running!  Good luck with the 10-miler too :)  

No running for me yesterday, but I went for a steady 5-miler Friday afternoon, and it went fine.  It was quite chilly though.

Marafun day today.  The extra hour in bed has been nice, but I'm still up at 6am even though it's a local race!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - well done, you got that sub 19 mins that you've had your eye on for a while :)   Good luck in your ten miler today, hope it's not too hilly.

G & G - I've got the Dublin live streaming on now but I'm a few minutes behind the actual timing as needed to get my run done first.

Put Connemara ultra or even the marathon on that 'to do' list, beautiful race.  You still have time to enter for 2018 ;)  

Big G - well you still need to get up a while before the race to get some carbs in.   Hope you and Jelly have a good run today, quite mild out, feels a bit humid but that should lift a bit.

8 mile hilly run for me today, can feel it in my hip flexor but not really painful, just there. so hoping it should be OK for my 10 mile race next weekend.

Right let's go and see what's happening in Dublin :)

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Shades-who knows what 2018 will bring,wife and I are expecting our first wee one, so my marathon break may have to wait or my wife might want rid of me around the house.

How are you finding the live stream? having some issues here with it, can't believe it isn't shown on RTÉ anymore!!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    G & G - your marathon may have to wait awhile then, more important stuff to deal with.

The live streaming is OK, picture is a bit jumpy, I'm enjoying the commentary and they're going to switch commentators soon for the latter stages.   Looks like they might be on for good times too.  Weather looks beautiful in Dublin, perfect running weather cool and sunny. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    G & G - I've stopped the picture being jumpy by altering the HD settings on my PC, a lot better now :)

I find it so tiring watching a marathon, too much empathy I think 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Exciting now, just over 3 miles to go and lead group of 6 now down to 5 and they're running hard.   Lead lady on her own.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama-Hope Charlie recovers and doesn't go back for a 2nd go.
    Good luck to Big G,Jelly and SK today.
    SK-Brilliant racing to get sub 19.
    Out for 10 here today in lovely weather,really nice out,actually felt a little tougher than usual but glad to get 30 miles in this week as the 2 weeks since chester were 14 and 9 so hopefully get some consistent miles in now
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    First man 2:15, first lady 2:28

I'm exhausted now after watching most of the race.

• Options
    Shades-think internet may well have been the issue at the start,enjoyed the coverage.
    Have to agree wish I had ran before the race feel tired already after watching that.haha :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Dartmoor Vale went quite well today, in that I think I've put to bed the bad memories from a few years ago!

This is a two lap race, with one big hill roughly in the middle of each lap, and a couple of other inclines to contend with too.  Conditions weren't too bad, but I was sweating within a mile so Shades, yes, it was humid at the start.  We'd had some rain earlier in the morning, and as the race starts/finishes in the grounds of a clay works, the road was pretty slippery.  But I got going and all was fine, knowing I'd be walking the big hill on each lap.  I ran with Jelly for 2 or 3 miles or so, and I think we got a picture of us running together at around 11 miles.  I'll post that if I see it, but only if it's any good ;)  

I got to half way in 1:58:30-ish, and it was only at that moment I thought I'd see if I could get a sub-4.  Try and pick the bones out of this one, you lot!!!!  Three of my four slowest miles were in the second half (11:14, 10:40, 9:46), as were three of my four quickest miles (7:44, 8:05, 8:13).  No idea what was going on there except I tried to run well on the flat and down hills in the second half, but yet also did walk more in the second half up the hills.  

At about 23-miles I really thought I'd blown the sub-4 chance.  You may remember that last week at Abingdon I felt weak late into the race, and I thought it was due to forgetting to take my energy bars.  Today I remembered to take them, but I then felt queasy and I thought I was going to throw up as I just felt full!  I didn't throw up, fortunately, and got to the finish in 3:57:11 (watch time), so more or less an even split.  That's also four sub-4s this month, which I'm pleased about, and today was about 24-mins quicker than when I did it the first and only time back in 2013, which still remains my worst marathon memory!  But I'm pleased to have had a relatively good race today, so I've put that behind me in some ways.

I'll do a recovery run tomorrow and probably just take it easy the rest of the week, as I have my first double Fri/Sat next week.  Gulp!

Oh, and that young Trotter went and won the race (his first marathon) in about 2:40, so great running by him.  I'd imagine that won't do any harm for his sponsorship hopes.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Big G - That's a great result there.. and four sub 4s in one month is some going  :) Must feel good to put that demon to rest/bed too (can't remember correct expression)

SK - That is so FAST!! Well done you, I'm starting to feel a bit old for getting PBs now and you have just blown that theory to pieces. A sub 19 5k is a fab result, great stuff. Hope todays race went well but after that blinder of a parkrun it doesn't really matter does it?!

Ian - Good solid week's mileage there  :)

G&G - lovely news that a little G&G is on the way.. when is the little one due?

Cal - Thanks for the Frees info - I like Nikes and have got a pair of Terra Kiger for trail running too.

Shades - Thank you for the shoe link. That RW mag that you sent me had a good shoe guide in it too. Those are fast results for Dublin!!

Had a good run yesterday and a not so good run today. My foot seems better and I really wanted to get a long run under my belt to reassure myself I'll be ok for mara end November. Got to about 22k ok then foot cramped up a bit and last 6k turned into wooden leg shuffle  :/ Anyway, it's done and generally foot feels better. Think you are right Shades/Cal - trauma injury maybe easier to get over than running one. Prob take a day off tomorrow, son's 15th birthday so will be taking him out for the day then try another run Tuesday.

Other news is that Charlie is home, covered in bandages and being a complete drama queen. Taking him back to the vet's tomorrow to change his dressings.
    And pick up the bill  :#

• Options
    Great news about Charlie, MF! I hope the bill isn’t too high. Good news too re the foot, I hope the pain from today was just a one off and that you are on the road to recovering.

Congrats to G &G!

Big G - that’s amazing to run so many sub-4s in such a short time. Are you going to target a particular one soon for that sub 3:30 attempt? You’ll definitely have the endurance for it by now!

Ricky Road Run (10 miles) today was as painful as ever with lots of hills! I was 1st lady from about end of mile 1 and kept thinking I was going to be overtaken. Had a bit of a stitch around mile 5 but it only lasted about 10 mins. And felt really strong in last couple of miles. The last mile is downhill and was I able to go for it this year (last time I ran it in 2015, I had ITB pain from the hills so had to hold back) and ran it in 6:11 (versus 7:20 in 2015). Time was 1:06:25, a course PB and 1st lady. Average HR was higher than yesterday’s parkrun so I now wish I’d pushed harder in the parkrun.
  • Options
    Big G- congrats 4 sub 4 hour marathons in a month is some achievement,  I can only look on and admire.

SK- superb pb sub 19 is a great time.

10 miles for me this morning, very chilly start however turned quite decent by the time I finished.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Think Big G described today's race brill, I found my pace dropped on second loop,
    head wind was strong and not sure how much was tired legs and how much was head. Knew I would walk Big hill and had a word and didn't walk anything after that point.
    enjoyed the race
    and pleased with time 4:11:48 and 2nd in age category. Wasn't huge female field to be fair. Would do it again. Like to support local. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.  If you'd told me at the start of today I'd have got that time I'd have taken it, so I am happy.

SK, certainly there won't be a fast attempt for the rest of this year.  I was thinking of targeting Barca next year, but there's a 6hr challenge the week before that I am considering as practice for the DD.  I think it'll either be Taunton (or Rotterdam on the same day, if I can work on cheap logistics!) for a quicker attempt at the start of April, but I'll see.

Shades, talking of DD, not sure if you've seen on the DD facebook page, but entries are open at 9pm on 14th Nov.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    G & G - I checked another live streaming and my internet was fine, so not sure what the problem was.

Big G - that's great and you've finally laid that demon to rest.   Very pleased to see in the results that the young Trotter won, it'll be interesting for you to see how he enjoyed his first marathon.   He could go faster but no need as he had a good lead.  I see AH was 3rd and a very slow time for him, I think he did Snowdonia yesterday and of course that's a hell of a journey back too.

6 hour race the week before Barcelona is bad timing and may well affect your PB attempt.   You could do with a 6 hour or another ultra after Barcelona.  The Anglo Celtic plate should be announced soon, that's will have a 50km.

Yes, thanks got an email about Roger's post on FB so have marked my calendar.   Incidentally I see Roger won the F50 at the half marathon today, he might want to get that amended on the results!

mamafox - Dublin is a fast course, if the top elites were there it would be 2:04ish but Dublin don't pay out appearance money although the prize money is worthwhile €12,000 to the winners I think.

Glad Charlie is home and hope that bill isn't too shocking :'(

Run every other day until you're healed, trying to do too much will delay recovery.

SK - great running, congratulations on the win.   Remember in a parkrun you're only doing 3 miles and it would take probably well over a mile to get your heartrate up the top so the average would be lower.   Plus you had hills today and that puts the heartrate up more than speed alone.

Jelly - that's a great time considering only a couple of weeks since your PB.   Well done on the prize, irrelevant that there weren't many women in your group, the others didn't make the start line.

• Options
    5 miles (9.12/mile)for me today,felt good,glad to be slowly building.

Mamafox-little G&G will be with us beginning of March,won't be long coming round.  :)

BigG-congrats and glad you put the demons robbed. 4 sub4 hours in a month is an amazing achievement.

Jelly-congrats and nice work on the age category placing.  :)

Slowkoala-cracking time especially after yesterday's efforts.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have dropped him a message asking if he has any specific words for the report.  He did post on the Trotters page saying he was delighted, and he said that for the rest of his marathon career he'll be able to say he won his first ever marathon, which is quite something to be proud of!  As far as I know, his next marathon is London, where he says he is targeting low 2:20s, and he's going to give it a good crack.  He seems to be well up for the challenge and the training etc, but today he was running on his for a lot of it he said.  I saw AH had a slow time for him - yes he did Snowdonia yesterday I believe.