Options

The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

1363738394042»

Comments

• Options
    I still haven't given up on the 1,000 yet AndrewD. I ticked off over 50,000ft of elevation in just 98 runs the other week and now up to 872 miles in 103 runs. Hopefully this will be at least 902 miles after Sikh's in the City Ultra tomorrow, where I hope to complete my 12th Marathon in 12 Month's. NYC Marathon and Running the Rift Marathon in Uganda were both amazing and.my favourite two events so far.
  • Options
    At the start of this thread my thinking was alone the lines of

I) I go to the gym so hit the treadmill say four times a week giving me about 15/16 miles per week.

ii) I'll be doing the Yorkshire marathon in the Autumn so will up the miles in the summer.

iii) I want to start park running

All in all,I'm at about 20 miles per week, so 50 weeks x 20 and, well I'll hit a thousand for the year.  So here we are with two weeks to go and I'm about where I thought I might be. Since posting its been 13 treadmill miles and a park run. 

YTD: 965.9 (or 34.1 to go). Barring illness or injury I should get there,

• Options
    Morning all,

Hobie, I know the feeling, I rarely get ill, but the last week have had a real horrid cold & cough.

So for me only one outing on Wednesday night, which to be honest was probably a mistake as I felt terrible afterwards.

Hopefully will be able to make a return in the next day or two, as would love to finish the year with 1200 on the clock!

Stat's last week

13.12.17 - 6.25

YTD = 1170.19

Happy Christmas everyone.
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Howdy pardners!

Thanks for the clarification, Harmander... not that I intend to do an ultra any time soon - even though you keep inviting me to your dawn to dusk run - how did that go, by the way?

Speaking of ultras... best of luck for your planned long stuff next year David! You were probably right to DNS to make sure you don't make any illness drag on to Christmas. Get well soon. Hope you are well enough to make it to 1200 :smile:

Nice to see you again DadAgain - that's a great total by you... over 1633 miles! Well done on such spot on (Harmander-like) pacing especially in such difficult conditions.

Unfortunate about your 10K Donnie - but probably for the best if it was very slippery under foot... and generous of the organisers to defer entries to next year. Still looks like you're on for the 1000 in the end :smiley:

Sorry to hear you're unwell too, Hobie - definitely the time for it... and what a shame you were under the weather for your club do too - it was my works do on Saturday as well. Hope you managed to enjoy yourself anyway. Get well soon!

Looks like you're on for 900 Andrew - not bad going at all! :smile:

Smudger - you're definitely winning on the elevation front (I should think). Good to hear you're still gunning for 1000 - you might just do it.

I took a planned week off running after the Yule Yomp on the 10th. I was tired and really needed the break... also ended up missing Pilates due to massive traffic delays but did do my PT/strength training session. So - first day back running today and went to the usual Tuesday night club track session. It was the hardest one we've done so far... long tempo reps that got shorter and faster: 9 mins (3 recovery), 7 mins (2 rec.), 5 mins (2 rec.), 3 mins (1 rec.), 4 x (30 sec, 30 sec rec.) - felt good though... I think the rest did me good. Session totalled 6.20 mi. incl. w/u & c/d (a nice round 10K :smile:) and the pacing was nice: (9) 7:29/mi., (7) 7:13/mi., (5) 7:00/mi., (3) 6:28/mi., (4 x 30) 5:30/mi., 5:50/mi., 5:29/mi., 5:19/mi.

YTD: 1120.65 miles.

• Options

4 more last night, so creeping closer to the finish line. 869 in the book now. 31 in 11 days needed.

Sounds like a good session there Nell

• Options
    And another 4.5 this evening (felt crap though). 873.5 YTD 
  • Options
    Ran 8 miles in the very muddy forest yesterday morning, bringing my total to 1,003. I didn't think that I would reach it, after 5 months non running.
  • Options
    Since last updating I've done 17 treadmill miles and this morning my parkrun.  A parkrun pb. 

Total now 986 so 14 to go.  I should get there. 

Yet to be mentioned but same challenge same place next year? 
  • Options
    Dear all,

In the last two weeks I have only managed 102.94 miles {slowly} including Parkrun today due to a persistent chest infection.  It meant I had to do Race Director duties instead of taking part in the club's Dawn To Dusk event last Sunday - this was a great success with record number of participants.  There were four women in the top six positions including first and second - the full results can be seen at the link below where each runners lap times can be seen if you click on their name.

I was down to run Dymchurch Marathon today but wanted to give myself an easing off period before the New Year - particularly as I got less than 40 miles to go and eight days to do them to reach 3000 miles.

YTD = 2962.18 miles

Here is the results link for the Dawn To Dusk races: http://identisports-results.co.uk/dawntodusk/g-live.html?f=dawntodusk2017.clax

If anyone wants to enjoy a stroll of a marathon (6 hour cut off) with the most prolific runners, why not join in the 100 Marathon Club AGM Marathon on Saturday 24 February - mass start at 8:30 am on our course which we say is mildly undulating but the local press describe it as 'gruelling' . It is chip timed, price £30 with race day number pick-up.  You can enter online at 

Sorry, but no event t-shirt.
  • Options
    Well done Hillstrider! Nearly there Donnie!

Hope you’re feeling better Harmander.

7 miles today, up to 880.5 YTD.
  • Options
    Well done Hillstrider, 1000 miles in the pot, good work.

Donnie, not far to go. You'll get there.

Great miles Nell, well done.

Harmander, huge mileage even when not at your best...awesome. Hope you're feeling better soon

Andrew, 900 got to be doable.

1213 miles for me YTD. Certainly not going to get to 1300 now but at least I seem to be over my man flu.

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Options
    Happy Christmas, everyone.

Donnie, nearly there well done.
    Andrew, You are very close to the 900 target, only 3 or 4 runs?
    Harmander, Fantastic total, make sure you take it easy and get well soon.

As for me, no running since my last post as the horrid flu like cold ended up on my chest and turned into pleurisy, l am currently writing this as l can't sleep very well whilst sitting up, anyway on antibiotics now, so hopefully will get out a couple more times before the year is out.

Have a good one everyone.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas all you lovely Thousand Milers! Hope you've had a joyous and peaceful day.

Well done on the consistent, regular running, Andrew - I'm sure you'll make the 900 if you can keep that up for the rest of the week.

Congratulations, Hillstrider, on breaching the 1000-barrier... great work - just in time for Christmas too!

Donnie - fantastic work by you too. That 1000 miles finish line has got to be in sight now... I think I'm going to win my virtual bet.

Hey, Harmander - sorry to hear you've been under the weather too :disappointed: I'm certain you were a very able Race Director, and it's great to hear of the successful women in the Dawn To Dusk. Very wise taking a break from marathoning to get fully better :smile:

Good to hear you're on the mend, Hobie! A very admirable total for you - don't think I can catch you this year.

Really sorry to hear you got so poorly, David. Take care and wishing you a speedy recovery - don't head out again until your chest is fully clear!

Two runs over Christmas for me - a steady 4.35 miles yesterday, just before we had our Danish Jul, and 8.92 miles checking out the new (safer) route to and from the running track today. Also gave me the opportunity to use one of my presents from hubby: a Kalenji front and back lights thingy... it's ACE, really bright and very comfortable to wear. The heavens opened at about three miles and joined the strong wind to make painful, driving rain - but it was a nice, enjoyable run nevertheless.

YTD: 1133.92 miles (won't make 1300 but maybe 1150 as I'm racing on the 31st).

• Options
    YTD: 995 - my estimate is about 750 on the treadmill, 70 at the park run and 175 on the road.

Nell: As we approach the year end, thanks for your input and virtual support, I enjoy your posts and the encouragement has helped.

Dave: Posting in the dead hours of Xmas morning, that cant be good, get well soon and hopefully back onto the road.

Harmander: I'm sure you discharged your race director duties with great professionalism. Keep posting, I love your race updates.

Andrew: 900 is great, 90% is a pass in any class I've been part of.

• Options
    Hello all,

Thanks for the good wishes and I hope you all had a brilliant Christmas.
    My chest infection has been troubling me since I returned from Toronto in late October (always happens with the weakened immune system after the marathon followed quickly by a long flight in a pressurised cabin with everyone's bugs having nowhere to go).

The Dawn To Dusk did get really good reviews about its organisation, refreshments, friendliness and general atmosphere - but these were all due to a fantastic team of the club's experienced volunteers knowing exactly what to do - made my job as Race Director almost redundant.

On Christmas Day I ran another 10.19 miles including Parkrun (at Barking) but paced at 40 minutes (did 39:29).
    Had Court sitting on Boxing Day (to empty the police cells) and walked home a few miles to see if my chest was getting any better - it wasn't - so yesterday managed to get an appointment with my GP and got prescribed some anti-biotics AND referred to have a chest Xray - I ran to and from the GP (2.50 miles in total) and ran to and from the hospital for the Xray (8.60 miles) this now makes my 
    YTD = 2983.47 miles.
    With 10.19 miles planned for Saturday (including Parkrun) I will have just 10.20km to do to reach 3000 miles on Sunday - this is convenient as my shortest normal run is 10.40km if all goes well I will have beaten the 3000 mile mark by 197 metres in a year.

Have decided to just go for 2018 miles in 2018 but do it in 365 hours or less - hope Mr Stylish Fella starts the new thread in time.

Happy New Year Everyone.

• Options
    Hey, hey, hey peeps!

You're very welcome, Donnie - it's been great having you on board and I've been really impressed with how you've embraced transitioning from 100% treadmill running to outdoor running along with your indoor training :smile:

Good to hear from you Harmander... well done on yet another outstanding pacing effort - even while still being under the weather with your chest infection. You are, literally, the only person I could possibly think of who would run to and from a hospital appointment for a chest x-ray. You are OFFICIALLY the craziest person I know! :lol::no_mouth:

Did a nice, steady 7.06 miles yesterday - the result of two very lazy preceding days when I should have done 4 miles and 3 miles on Wednesday and Thursday respectively, and a fasted 3.10 miles leg shake out earlier today in preparation for the final race of the year (10K) tomorrow morning.

YTD: 1144.08 miles.

BTW... Harmander, is it only threads started by Stylish you'll join - or might you consider joining the 2018 1000 miles thread I've started!? :wink::smiley:

• Options
    Dear Nell,
    I don't drive and it was actually quicker than the bus which is every 20 minutes and goes around the houses.  even this morning, i thought about catching the bus to Parkrun two miles away as I was late but saw it was in 7 minutes time but I thought sod it I can beat it - I managed to get to the stop before last before it overtook me. Another 10.19 miles including Parkrun - I tend to do another 5km before running home) makes 
    YTD = 2993.66 miles.
    Nearly there
  • Options
    That's it for me in 2017. Made it with YTD 1009 miles. 

Loved the thread - see you all on the 2018 version.

Nell: Good luck tomorrow - how about ending the year with a PB?
  • Options
    Dear nell,

Where is the new thread?

• Options
    Afternoon all,

Well, in the end I haven’t been able to run at all this week for various reasons (illness, weather, trip to in laws etc) so finished the month on 64 (not great) and the year on 884.

Onwards to hopefully hit the mythical 1000 in 2018!
  • Options
    Hi-dee-hi campers!

Woo-hoo Donnie!!! Fanstastic... you made it to the other side :smiley: Really well done on getting through the 1000 miles total - and with perfect timing too :lol: You would have won me some money - had I been a betting person in real life, so thanks for the imaginary million! Hahaha...

Harmander, the new thread should be visible on the "General running" landing page - it's currently immediately adjacent to this (2017) thread :confused: 

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/346706/the-thousand-mile-club-2018#latest

Aaggghhh - that's frustrating Andrew! A great total nevertheless... I recall the struggles you had with injury not so long ago, so 884 miles has got to be a victory - right!?

Well that's it for me too! Many thanks for the good wishes for this morning's race Donnie - sadly no PB for me, not even close. It was a nice, but a little bit hilly, course (the euphemistic "undulating") and very windy in places (I HATE running in the wind - being very small and light, I find it hard to make any headway if I don't have someone acting as a windbreak!). 6.74 miles, including w/u and c/d, brings me to...

1150.82 miles @ year's end!

That's OK - I'll take that :smiley:

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year to all who've contributed on this thread, special thx to Nell & Harmander, both inspirations to us all.

Had my last race of the year today (and 1st since Gawd knows when), an end-of-year 10M I always run and finished it ok, which was all I wanted.

So, managed something over 1000, just not sure of my actual mileage, but gives me a gimme as a new year resolution, "Back the Mac" every Sunday night! And with my new iPhone and running ap may be a bit more accurate on those pesky trails. ;)

See you all on the 2018 thread.
  • Options
    1002.9 miles
    Due to plantar fasciitis most of those miles have been walking rather than running so I'm not sure that they really count. Next years target is to lose weight but I'll continue to track my mileage and see what happens. Happy New Year!
  • Options
    SenidM, thank you for your kind words, in fact to everyone who has put up with me and my nagging in 2017 - special thanks are in order for Little Nell who I have had the pleasure of meeting twice now, David Charman too. I am going to stop trying to remember everyone in case I miss someone unintentionally.
    My End of Year total and breakdown is as below
    YTD = 3002.7 miles
    in 547 hours 47 minutes and 36 seconds
    Average mile pace  = 10 minutes 57 seconds or 6:48 minutes/km
    Total runs including races = 211
    Average run = 14.259 miles or 22.95km
    All this equates to a 4 hour 47 minutes 6 second marathons of which I ran the equivalent of 144.52 in a year.
    Tomorrow I have my nearest Parkrun (Valentines) just 750 metres from my home - it will be my 100th there but I have done more than that at Barking which is about 2 miles away allowing me to do at least 4 miles extra.
    Happy New Year Everyone.
  • Options
    Errm, 
    3002.7 miles is 114.52 marathons
  • Options
    Just popped by to draw a line under my 2017 by posting my mileage graph... only to have the delightful pleasure of finding a post from senidM. Really good to see you! I was wondering how you were getting on with the injury just the other day. Thank you for your kind words (gave me a lump in throat tbh - don't often (ever?) get told I've been inspirational... a lovely birthday gift from you! :smile:). Congrats on your end of year 10-miler, and good to hear you survived unscathed!

Well done Pinkcat! Really good to hear from you too... and congratulations on making the 1000 mile total - an excellent achievement. All the miles count - no matter what the pace... a mile is a mile, and you've probably spent more time on your feet than some fast runners!

That's an outstanding report card, Harmander! A gold star for you - you're the true inspiration on this thread... especially with all your pacing duties (which you also enable me to share in for the first time ever this year - for that I also thank you!).

And what I came here for... my 2017 chart (gotta love spreadsheets!):

Happy New Year! See you all in the 2018 thread!

• Options
    Morning all,

I thought I would just pop an update on before moving to the new thread.

Thank you all for the get well messages, still not quite there, but hoping to make a return tomorrow 03.01.18, I have revised my training plan with a new fresh sheet of A4, so all should be good!

Well done to everyone throughout 2017, 
    Harmander, truly amazing running, well done.
    Nell, Well done on the year, love the graph, and glad you like the new running front and back thingy, currently I only have a front running light, should think about a Kalenji or similar really.
    Andrew, Good effort, and still a really good total for the year.

So for me, I ended up on 1170.19 which is not to bad - lets see what happens in 2018!