Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TR
    Im absolutely petrified of running on ice (is that an age thing?) 
    Ive got in a habit of carrying my phone in that running waistband thing, and phone has an emergency note in there. It shows what a state I was in that it was a coke rather than a beer. :neutral:
    15 on a Monday is superb. 

LMH I think its part of the mara training journey - although I don't recall it being as hard as this back in the day. good recovery skills! 

nice little run this afternoon 50min offroad 10k at sunset, then 5 miles at a bit of pace with my mate on road 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    On a running front I did 5 miles.

TR: ha! No butler or maid, just a partner whose musical preferences are more Renaissance than any later. We have a clavichord, too...
  • Options
    OO - congrats on a very well executed race judging by the split. The streak goes on...

TR - I'm sounding like a broken record but cracking mileage banked early doors this week. Sounding very wise too with the forecast looking bleak as the week progresses as you say. Typical as I've booked Thurs/Fri off to get my miles in because of sister's wedding weekend - no way I was going to be allowed to run first thing before the wedding :(

WTGY - nice miles today and top marks for avoiding a beer in a pub! I had to bob into The Navigation just up from the canal a few weeks ago but not for a drink!

Jools - I have to admit to giggling at the harpsichord mention. Being fetched up on the Clash and Sonic Youth that kind of instrument was never on my radar.

6 easy tonight. Very easy.
  • Options
    Keep cracking out those MLRs TR, nice work.
    Sounds like pretty solid training WTGY. 9M progressive to MP can't be bad with a few 20s thrown in too.
    Great racing OO. Spot on pace-wise & a relaxed sub 3 in the bag. 
    I obviously don't go hard enough in racing as despite extending yesterday's 8M race to 21M my legs feel absolutely fine again. Not much power on the bike this morning but then it was meant to be a recovery spin. Stuck to my Runless Monday rule so just the cycling & a swim today.
  • Options
    I've been away for the weekend pretending to enjoy going out and drinking alcohol. I don't actually mind it at the time, it's the next day, and the day after.... Anyway, I've only had time to skim read but OO's casual sub 3 stands out, well done sir! 

Forecast is looking rubbish from tomorrow onwards. I'm bracing myself for some more treadmill action.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    WTG - rightly so, falling over hurts as an adult. You should have been here last monday i did 16 (and the monday before, and 15 rhe monday before.....), but i did 15 today just so i dont get hung up on 16. Two mlr a week is the aim

Jools - nice, i thought that was a collar bone.

SJ - i wanted to pencil in southampton mara in case Brighton gets scuppered by weather or illness, but i couldnt get it approved as we have a family wedding tbe day before (first saturday of our cricket season too !).

Jooligan - well done on keeping to the rules.
  • Options
    TR - if MLR is Monday when it Long run? 
    Thanks Jools, your mileage is even more impressive if you throw in non running Monday 
    SJ Im not that house trained  :#

Hard frost, no ice up here, trails were lovely this morning on my 8.6 miles of nowt nor summet ! 
  • Options
    WTGY/TR -- interesting on the recovery theory, it's true I very rarely max out in training, so it is a bit of a shock in races. On the bonking front, if you were a bit hung over AND missed supper and breakkie, that might have made you extra hypo I guess. Maybe that's why fat Coke always tastes so good after a few too many beers! On running on ice, I find XTalons are pretty good on all but really glassy stuff.

LMH -- I don't think too much about refuelling TBH. After my long runs I generally have a bowl of porridge if I'm at home. But it's a bit random after races -- it's true I tend not to eat until I get home, so it could be hours sometimes.

• Options
    That may well be part of the problem then Charlie. I think it’s especially important after a race.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

OO - very nicely judged marathon. You're a model of consistency!

TR - you're smashing out loads of MLRs and LRs. Really hope it all goes to plan for the next few months as you must be getting into great shape.

CW - hadn't you done 20M including a hard section in the middle on the Saturday? Not surprising that your legs were creaky after that!

After 0, 0, 0, 3M Mon-Thurs last week I salvaged something with 8M progressive on Friday evening and 14M finishing with a parkrun win (not fast though, 17:0x) on Saturday. Nothing on Sunday though.

5.5M steady yesterday lunchtime and hoping to get to the track this evening for some mile reps, assuming the snow holds off!

I think I know what a harpsichord is. A clavichord is not on my radar though.

• Options
    Doesn't look like the snow is going to reach London at this rate - my lunchtime run just now wasn't particularly cold. 6M steadyish (6:49, 7:03, 7:06, 6:50, 6:25, 6:27) including two dead end detours halfway through when i got stuck in a car park! Felt the hamstring grumble about a mile in, but whereas in the past it felt like it was going to ping, felt more like a twinge today.

Out of interest, what level of pain would it take for you guys to stop a training run? I know they say you should listen to your body and I agree with that, but during marathon mileage if you stopped every time you had a slight niggle you wouldn't get anything done. Today didn't exceed a 3/10 so I carried on and hoping with lots more stretching it won't be an issue. I guess some of it is paranoia around affected areas too - if I had a 3 or 4/10 pain somewhere else I wouldn't think anything of it, but when it's an area you've previously had trouble with it plays on your mind.    
  • Options
    CW everything I've read about recovery post hard effort suggests eating protein within 30 minutes and drinking plenty of fluids so that could well be part of the problem re your bad DOMs
    EE I've never stopped a training run through pain. I've been told to stop numerous times by physios & docs but never heeded that particular piece of advice. I have dialled down the effort though to avoid aggravating things and sometimes reduced mileage too. I've had a painful bursitis behind my right knee for 2 years which is finally clearing up. Tried reducing mileage, frequency and intensity for a month or so both this summer & last but neither time did I find it helped. Definite improvements noted recently despite the 70+ mpw. That doesn't sound like a steady 6 to me - especially those last 2 miles!
    8M with 10x0.1M strides this morning then 5.1 steady at lunch. My average pace for the day is just under 8 which is steady rather than easy. Glad I've banked the day's mileage already: raining hard now :)
  • Options
    I got a bit carried away on the last two miles as I finally had some clear, flat cycle path after four miles of stopping and starting and weaving in and out of people. Surprisingly hard to get a good pace in Central London lol.

And thanks for your thoughts re: twinges - I've done the same regarding dialling down efforts and being sensible with mileage.

Would also second your comments regarding protein ASAP after sessions; definitely helps. 
  • Options
    Protein and carb mix - peanut butter on toast with an apple has been my favourite recovery food for some time  :)

EE - rather than level of pain I tend to stop if I feel something is changing my gait and therefore likely to cause issues elsewhere other than the hamstring when it's just a question of a shorter stride.

Is mini Padams over whatever ailed him now? Any races on the horizon?

No snow here but lots of rain - and weather warnings for snow/ice for the next few days, it could get difficult to get out.
  • Options
    Yeah that's a good rule of thumb LMH about the gait and also one I follow. Also interesting regarding the length of stride - last physio I saw asked me what my cadence was like and was able to show him data from my last few runs as my Forerunner records that. Think I'm quite good at not overstriding so not really an issue, but all things worth bearing in mind! 
  • Options
    EE / LMH - interesting on gait altering, worth remembering that one. Sometimes I say to myself if something is aching, if I stop, its therefore an injury and if its an injury then I have to react like it is - i.e. treatment and rest, and do I really want that. I suspect it probably equates to a 6-7/10 on pain. 

I am however still nervous with the calf that went end of November

Pissing down E Yorks. 
  • Options
    Ha, I get what you mean WTGY - becomes 'official' once you've admitted it! I'm kind of the same regarding admitting injuries to my OH/club mates for the same reason. 
  • Options
    I really notice the shorter stride/slower pace when my hamstring is bad but I have quite a high cadence anyway.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    WTG - long run day is saturday, mlr day is monday and wednesday at the mo.

Cw - even if you ran hard in training, youd still get doms after racing xc, unless you race xc regularly.

Padams - nice one on the win.

EE - ive run on a tight hammy a lot in the last yr at times, but would stop when i feel it get too tight. Wouldnt run in pain, but i guess 3/10 isnt really pain, more s niggle.

5m recovery this morning, thats all i had time for anyway, but i still get WTFP with these, however best to shut up and get it done. The time to review the training is april 15th.
  • Options
    Great recovery food LMH. I do love peanut butter & either marmite or jam wraps myself. That's what I used to fuel me on my big triathlons along with malt loaf & Marathons.
    I do probably overdo the injury ignorance but I see so many folk who take a week off over a minor twinge only to repeat the cycle 3-4 times as it reappears. They then get despondent as their fitness has plummeted. Meanwhile I've carried on training :)
  • Options
    TR - running on tired legs is what you'll be doing come the last 5 or 6 miles on the day and you'll be glad of the extra miles in them then I reckon.

I do like peanut butter and a nice fruit spread (rather than too sweet jam) but can't imagine PB and Marmite  :s

Even my physio agrees that I do far better running through most things rather than taking time out but I do adjust miles/pace accordingly rather than trying to carry on regardless.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    LMH - left to my own devices id run further and my legs were fine today, but then if it wasnt icy and i had more time id have done the 3 min reps. If i also do a progressive 10 on thursday then its only actually friday and sunday that end up being short and easy. Hopefully ill be able to get the mlr done tomorrow and the 10 thursday morning this week, as ice prevented the 10 last week and next week is taper week, but its poured down here and is now icing up, so it'll need to warm up first. But its an uncontrollable, so I'll go with the flow.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    OO.. cracking marathon again, bet those post race beers tasted nice.  Great run from Dan A in the half too.
    TR.. still impresssed with you racking up these MLR's, more hay in the barn.
    WTGY.. abandoning the racecourse loop after 1 1/2 laps doesn't show much OCD ;) Sounds like a wibbly wobbly route thereafter but at least you did get the 20 done.
    Charlie.. good effort in the XC and rounding it up to the traditional 20 miles.  FWIW I did read somewhere that after anything from MLR to LR you should try and get a snack down you within 30 mins or so - glycogen stores more receptive or something like that.
    EE.. I guess the knack is to know what you can run through and what isn't advisable.  I had what I think was a heel bruise late summer (occasional twinge) but it never got any worse.  After checking it wasn't my achilles I just kept going and it eventually  disappeared in December.
    LMH.. I think I'm hibernating with my treadmill this week. :#
    Speaking of which.. 7.2m on the treadie today, danger of ice outside.  Meanwhile BT were working on some lines outside my house (nothing to do with me) and since they left my broadband speed has now dropped to about 1MB/s :/
    A cat sitting on a harpsichord?  Surely awaiting the curtain call for a rendition of 'Fur Elise' the sort of tune a cat can get it's claws into without getting in a flap.
    I'll get me (fur) coat.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    When I did the super six thing with CC2 the sports nutritionist talked about the window for recovery nutrients and absorption rates. 30 minutes is spot on and carbs and protein is the key.

I probably over do it tbh, after 20 miles I favour scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast. As much water as I need to stop feeling dehydrated.

Running gait, stride length, cadence: I've read that through consistent training our bodies develop its own natural economical patterns for all of these. The figure I see often re cadence is 180 steps per minute. I note from my accelerometer in my watch that I average out at 180 without ever thinking about it.

My legs took 5 miles to get going tonight's 10. Icy in places on my loop but runable nonetheless. Going to get tougher tho' as it's getting colder and my commute is taking longer/time out of my day.
  • Options
    Nice to see a return to the Wardi humour  :) Hope your broadband speed is sorted now, frustrating at that speed.

It's good hat you don't feel you need the recovery TR but the enforced shorter days will be keeping you fresher for the longer stuff.

The 30 minute immediate replenishment then a meal within two hours was the standard advice for years sj but recent research seems to indicate that within two hours is just as effective (though I don't wait that long!).

Lots of rain here yesterday (and some sleet and a little snow) and freezing overnight, in fact we're not due to hit 0C until 1000hrs so no idea if I'm going to able to run outside ot not.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sometimes he sits on laps (sorry, the harpsichord is out of shot!). I read him Wardi's joke but he didn't stir. Rest day yesterday. Hoping to get out at lunch today as my Swindon case went short.
  • Options
    How's he doing Joolska?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    He seems ok, although he's lost some weight. He's not the brightest spark so still tries to jump on and off things, even though his paw/leg are clearly still a bit sore, which means I'm having to keep a close eye on him and give him a helping hand up/down! I guess that's why the vet gives you a cage.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

EE - I have a bit of pain at the start of every run, either tight achilles or around the hips, but it tends to ease after a mile or so. I would only stop a run if it was obviously getting worse - you can usually tell if it's causing proper damage.

LMH - yes, he seems fine now, thanks for asking. Still haven't really decided on my plans for the year - may do a local HM at the start of March, and still quite fancy our club's 12 hour race again in September as I enjoyed that last time I did it.

I'd also read some recent research that said the old rule of eating protein within 30 mins of training was nonsense. I use any excuse to justify eating more food, but sometimes it just isn't possible to eat straight after training/racing. I don't really notice any difference either way though.

I got home from work relatively early yesterday so did a session on my own rather than wait for the club session. So 2M easy, 5x1M with jog recovery, start the next effort every 7mins. Including the recoveries that resulted in 6M in about 35:20 (about 5:40 for the miles and probably 7m/m for the 80ish second recoveries), then cooldown to make it up to 9M total. That was hard work on dark pavements with some undulations.

3M into work this morning - a bit slippery in places but not too bad. Legs weren't feeling great as expected, but feel better having done the short run.

• Options
    TR Suppose its in line with what I used to do - weds MLR / fri MLR tempo/ sun long. Looks trickier as aging

Wardi hows your track? Mine incorporates a slope alongside head wind and really thick grass, bloody horrible, plus I don't think I'm too bad with the old OCD 

Padams - that session looks to have taken inspiration from swimming ones? 

I used to try and eat close after a run, but then I don't tend to eat much before going out, so invariably its close to a meal time once finished running anyway.