Options

VLM 2019

Comments

• Options
    I’m gfa and in the green pen. But only 3.45...so maybe I’m right back at the back...
    that time was from my first attempt - hoping to be closer to 3.20 mark, but maybe That’s overly optimistic with start. Get the excuses in early !!

• Options
    You won't be right at the back Christine, celebs will be behind you, then behind them i expect the competition winners like myself who put an expected finish time of 4hrs 30mins. 
    I'm not worried being at the back, as after 5k when we merge, I certainly won't be as greens seem to get away quicker than say red. 
  • Options
    Last 20 miler done
    Threw in a half mile extra for fun.

What's everyone's taper plans?
  • Options
    Final long run done before tapering - 23 miles on a lovely morning.

Done 50+ miles the last few weeks so going to scale it back to 40 next week, 30 the week after then maybe about 15 the week of the race. No idea if it'll work!
  • Options
    Just reading through the final instructions, and i see custom house station is closed on Saturday for the Excel centre - they say use Royal Victoria or Prince Regent stations. 

I have a question about drinks at the assembly areas. It says -
     'There are toilets, Buxton Natural Mineral Water, Lucozade Sport and tea and coffee available at all four Assembly Areas.'

I take it these are free, but does anyone know if the Lucozade Sport is given in bottles? 

Thank you
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's definitely free. I can't recall fully but think lucazade was in bottles. Water certainly is. 
  • Options
    Cheers DT19, was planning on carrying a bottle from the start anyhow - probably keep one in my kitbag just incase. 
  • Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    has anyone not had their pre-registration email? i got mine but the wife has not had hers although the realbuzz account has her number on it. She was registered via my account so hope they have not sent 1 email for the both of us :)
  • Options
    andyc209, - Best call (0207 902 0200) and make sure before waiting to see if they will spot it.
    It is why they ask for only one entry per email
    portlanders - I always carry my own cheapo energy drink from the start in point to point races - it reassures me.
    DT19 - yes Locozade has always been in bottles (they did try the squeezy sachets in the past too I recall.
    Prince1979 - I do not taper because i run about two marathons a month.  Ran the second of the 20.85 miles course fmiliarisation runs with two other first timers yesterday (instead of the Manchester Marathon) because thanks to all who supported mr I won the 

Sporting Equals, British Ethnic Diversity Sports Award (British Army Unsung Champion) and was at the Heathrow Hilton until midnight and got home in East London at 2:30 am - before the familiarisation run starting at 8:00 am.
  • Options
    Yes, I attended the Sporting Equals, British Ethnic Diversity Sports Awards at the Heathrow Hilton on Saturday night and got home at 2:30 am on Sunday before going on the 20.75 mile run - it was worth it because thanks to all who voted for me and the curious decision by the judges, I won the British Army Unsung Champion award - alongside the likes of Raheem Sterling, Ama Agbeze and Brendan Batson.
    The full BC report is at the link below.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/47838363
  • Options
    That's awesome Harmander, congratulations! Thoroughly well deserved!
  • Options
    Congratulations Harmander :)
  • Options
    Big congratulations Harmander
  • Options
    Thank you everyone.
    Come on, less than 10 training sessions at most left before the big day, and they are all going to get shorter and shorter.
  • Options
    GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Harmander, many congratulations! 

Taper time! Did my last 20 yesterday, like many other people, I'm sure - it did feel quite tough, but I guess they always do, and I managed to stick to the target pace despite the last several miles having to be taken very much one at a time (telling myself 'just one more mile, then you can walk if you need to')! I have a half marathon to be run at marathon pace on Sunday, which I'm looking forward to - it's along part of the Wales coast. 

Other than the long run, I spent pretty much all weekend reading about the marathon, planning journeys etc! It's amazing how much you can obsess when you want to. 
  • Options
    Thank you too Gipfel.
    For those wanting to avoid me at the Expo, it may have got even harder - seems I could be there on Thursday, Friday AND Saturday.
  • Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    Hi Sue, I'm GFA and on red start. I'm hoping it is in one of the pens near the front.
    Hi, i am also on red as a GFA - have been on FGFA for years but even though i put 3:10 this year it seems that is not good enough for that pen. my number is 34627 which i hope gets me in pen 1 on red - just worried the start is going to be a little more crowded than usual with people on many different strategies. 
  • Options
    I'm planning  on it being quite a slow start andy. Doesn't bother me too much if I'm 20-30 secs over goal pace for the first 3-4 miles as I know I can make that up gradually. Wouldnt want to be much slower though nor for much further. My number is quite close to yours so it would seem there are a block of gfa's in red but maybe spread through the pens according to gfa time and lining up with ballot runners who claimed a similar time (which is only a problem if they predicted inacurately - we had to prove it!).
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i spoke with vmlm yesterday re a query. As an aside i was told gfa runners have been spread across all 4 starts. I enquired why fgfa was now just yellow and not fgfa. Apparently fgfa confused some and, wait for it, offended people as well!!The girl was quite embarrassed telling me that and made a bit of a joke about it being a race and not understanding why it should offend. I told her that i hope no one in future becomes offended by the term elite! 

Well done on your award, Harminder. 
  • Options
    Perhaps they misunderstood what the first 'f' represented. 
  • Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    realised the wife's registration is under her maiden name - but her passport etc will be her married surname - can this be changed
  • Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Yellow start for me this year. That's a new one, looks like it's a new name for what was the FGFA pen at the front of the red start line. Yellow number on a red background. This is getting complicated.
  • Options
    Just come back from physio, had a hip realignment done, left hip needed adjusting.. but at least now i can run without a dull pain and fear i'm making things worse. He also taped inside of thigh as felt this was sprained due to the hip thing... i blame those damn cambers! Good timing to get it sorted though, and amazed to see instant improvement. 

Andy, try the helpdesk email, they got back to me next day when i emailed them last week.

helpdesk@londonmarathonevents.co.uk

• Options
    Question for those who have run the marathon before - at the Expo i see RockTape and KT Tape are there - do they just sell the tape, or will apply the tape for you? The physio used RockTape on me today, am going to wait to see how long it lasts, and when removed it's left no skin irritation. If all ok will buy some of the same brand to be safe, and try self-applying, but just wondered if they do tape at the expo. Cheers
  • Options
    Sorry I can't help portlanders, I have seen the tapes and a whole lot more but as I have never ventured to try them I paid no attention.  Most I have used is different lengths of tubigrip that allowed me to get the right tightness on my thighs or a new pair of football socks for the calves - I know I am a cheapskate.
    Remind me again on the Wednesday and I will check and get back to you on Thursday evening when I get back from my first shift there.
  • Options
    That's most generous of you Harmander, thank you so much. 
    I was looking back at the 2018 VLM thread earlier, and surprised to see so little posts after the event... you can be sure i will be posting a brief post of my experience, which i hope will all be good. 
    You have a morning shift at the expo on Saturday i seem to recall... I guess this hasn't changed? I won't get there till midday at earliest so unfortunately will miss you. I hope your appearances go well. 
  • Options
    No problem portlanders - that is the whole purpose of this thread - to help learn from one another, particularly those who have done it before.
    I will be there on Thursday and Friday too
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Portlander - at some Expos they will apply the tape for you but you could have to queue for ages and they then may not tape it exactly as you need it. So I would advise that you buy some tape and by race day you will have perfected how to apply it.  You can get a roll for about £2.99. I have sensitive skin and I'm fine with the More Mile brand.  I have another brand and that does irritate my skin but only if it's on for more than 3 days.
    Rock Tape is four times the price.
    Plenty of help on YouTube to get the taping right.
  • Options
    Cheers Shades, 

Gone ordered a couple of rolls of the more miles brand - I wear their socks which i have no problem with, so hopefully the tape will be the same - if not it's cheap tape to practice on. I see the 20% discount still remains active a year on - Code 'MORE20' if you are ever buying more miles stuff, works on both more miles and start fitness websites. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Portlander - I use their socks too and like them a lot, good fit.  Thanks for the discount code.

Have fun with the taping, you'll soon get the hang of it.  I think Kinesio tape is brilliant.