Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Reg - i agree with the bike and a bit of running is good for your running. You can blag up to half marathons off quite low miles, i remember doing an autumn 59min 10m, 79min 1/2 combo a couple of weeks apart and getting to 7m in the 10 and thinking to myself that i hadnt run that far for a while.

Wool - i dropped my lad at thorpe park with his gf a couple of Septembers ago (they had pre paid tickets and the driver dropped out), so i took them and spent the day with my dog at virginia water, looked a nice place to run and linked up with Windsor Great Park?.....i drive to work and then run sometimes if that counts.

SG - im impressed, keep it up. Just needs a bit of ego parking, view it as armchair running. Guess it helps as i have no Strava to give me a ego. There was a saying when i did Tri as to always save something for tomorrow.

Jools - nice 1k reps. I was going to do the 3min reps again this week (been doing it every couple of weeks) but my legs are a bit weary still after last weeks bingo.

11m today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Marders is used to more than 100mpw with a 66min 1/2 mara on the Sunday, so im not surprised he has surplus energy.
  • Options
    Reg - may well have a crack at Dan's time. Yeah not sure it's worth it unless you have a smart jobby and you can set it to 100%, otherwise it doesn't count as 'official'. Also saw Marders 40 miler at the weekend - lunatic. 

Matt - No Katie also thinks I'm a mentalist on this one. Really hope the injury is a short lived one and you're back in a few days. 

SG - Nice tempo yesterday, I reckon we'll see those averages start to creep down further now.

I think I'm a +1 for biking doing wonders for my running. The only thing I find is that it does slightly stifle my leg speed and it'll take me a block of run sessions to get back up to proper 5km/10km pace. 
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    thanks Matt and hope that your own little scare is no more than that and you are back to it in a couple of days. 

TR - yep, Virginia Water is at the southern end of the Great Park (Pete's end). It's 5 miles or so for me to run there directly from the other end of the park but I tend to avoid that area as I'm petrified of dogs and my tendency to over-react when approached by a canine causes too much upset with the owners.

Looking forward to seeing your Everest outcome Joe. 

10 for me this morning over the hilliest / dog free bits of WGP. Defo too quick but there was a bit of pent up spriteliness in there after a week off running. 4 weeks to get ready to run 5k again as part of the Virtual Masters Relays - pleased to have something to focus on again.

https://data.opentrack.run/x/2020/GBR/bmaf-virtual-rr/
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Joe Presume you saw this https://www.strava.com/clubs/1769/posts/9546350 Best start tapering NOW!
    Bad luck Matt. Hope it's a short-lived benching.
    Definitely over the daftest injury if you can bounce out 10 on hills Wool.
    Another hilly 10M today on battered legs. Made the mistake of attempting to 'sprint' the savage 200m climb right at the start. Knocked 1s from my PR but by the time I got to 4M in my legs were toast so the remaining 10K was a grind. I'd only just got the run uploaded when the young lad who lives here came in & announced he'd set a new CR on that seg of 44s! - my best is 69s :s 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Battered legs Jools? You need to follow some of the thread advice from the last couple of days, slow it down, enjoy it more ;)

But this is the thing isn't it - what works for some of us, would ruin others. I'd soon come to an absolute obliteration if I put in the colossal elevations some of you chaps do, let alone combined with higher mileage :o

avoid that young lad...you do not want to be attempting segs on his patch, or aggravate him so that he systematically eats up your haul!

Followed the Wool's advice on having a drive somewhere today - just to my old Marlow stomping ground, but I can't even word how superb it felt just driving. I've missed it. Some hate driving, but I love it still.

Still quite ridiculously took about 5mins of decision of where to park, despite the best location being totally empty. But why is it empty I thought, there's plenty shopping round the corner, is it still allowed? And suchlike ludicrous thought patterns.

I had "geniusly" brought a clear bag to use over my hand, knowing there's about 8 gates to open, that would no doubt have 100s of "virus hands" touching them. Small transmission chance of course, but still.... Ditch it in  a bin quite soon after the plan.

Half a mile in, checked the bag was still stashed down my pants in readiness for the section that starts about 2miles in.

Obviously it had flown out somewhere. Went back the way I'd come for a while before realising it was a hopeless mission. Firstly it had probably blown well away, and secondly picking a bag that was intended to be the hygienic saver, from a filthy floor didn't seem clever. About as clever as dopily letting it somehow blow away I thought.

At least I can make up for the inadvertent littering by doing a sensibly paced run for the lads I thought.

Was quite easy to keep the pace down for the first half.

Plenty of strong wind in my face and watching a couple of shouty / bibby scenarios near the high street, one some too slow oldie v some too fast youngie, and one cyclist woman screaming at some guy who I presume came round a roundabout too quickly.

Considered adding some shouting to the situation, but realised I probably just needed to get across the road safely and not become scuffle number 3.

Offroad bit kicked in, loads of people to avoid, loads of gates to open with my careful "use the vest to touch the metal" technique. A few little circles out the way and back as a middle aged couple on bikes kept arriving at the gate about 30seconds before me and painstakingly taking ages to go through them :) 

All good, got ahead of them after 3 episodes of this, to which the (actually older than I realised) woman shouted something.

I expected this to be something along the lines of "Sorry handsome heroic athletic legend of RW SG for getting in your way", and I'd have been all "no worries doll, easy run innit, no pressure today, but thanks for coming out".

Instead it was "bet you feel young amongst all these old people", insulting both herself, and the presumably morning excursion for the local oldies club.

Erm anyway, what are we doing, ah yes, over explaining a single mere run.

Sensible pace for all the offroad bits, painstakingly windy at times, a couple of really tight passageways (matron) that I sensibly stayed out the way of the already committed walkers.

Past a tattooed geezer and his mutt on the bridge, which we pretended was enough distance, and onto the bit near Cookham.

Here's where the run actually becomes nice, as you turn around and approach the actual climbs and interesting bits. Up a fairly long hill, that I was surprised to see that the mile's elevation was only 75feet, but obvs it had a down after in that, and re-checking about 140 feet over just over half a mile, so that's more like it.

Past a posh house, that had a giant model elephant outside (!), will have to nab a pic for the "Non real animals" folder at some stage...allow it.

Back on firm road now, so the pace naturally ramped a bit due to both that and a fair down after, couple of low 7 type fare to end, and all in

11miler for 7.20. Nice run. Enjoyable drive home too, just after managing to lock myself in and set an alarm off, that I didn't even know the car had. Nice.

A bit too much detail there, and if you read the whole way through, grab yourself a biscuit, you've deserved it son.

Two biscuits if you're a first time poster and say hello.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Matt - i missed your post, must have been at same time as mine.....sounds like a minor issue, well done on stopping whilst it was minor.

Wool - your issue was obviously minor too, good news.

Jools - you are on it !

SG - a tidy run and good to see you enjoying it. Ive just had my dinner, do ill wait on the biscuit

12 easy tonight. Was breezy here today too.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Matt - missed that so keenly was I luxuriating above - speedy recovery. Your body is probably just asking what is coming next as it was reps a few weeks ago, then setting back to base, then chucking a flat out mile in. :)  It'll get used to you again.

A couple of women at work sit on their leg. Never ever once thought it looked anything but awkward and uncomfortable!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Perhaps just take some hand gel next time SG. I have this image of you carrying this progressively more and more infected plastic bag around with you 😂
  • Options
    SG running with a plastic bag down his pants. Classic.

Jools - saw that, Gaimon is a really top bloke, read both his books, glad he got the record. I won't be anywhere close! Time's are very much dependent on the length/steepness of the hill. I am tapering currently, plan to not be able to walk on Sunday.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Back of little left finger and foot technique can open almost any gate :smile:
    Just need to wash your hands when you get back.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Or hurdle the gates, maybe turn to steeplechase. I think Gaimon did a proper one outside ;-)

• Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    What came first? The Kooty Key, or the Amazon Package containing the Kooty Key?

:) 
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Maybe if you buy two you can open the second one with the first one?
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    But you'd still have to open the first one without a Kooty Key.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Not if you buy one before you buy the first one
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    But you'd need a DeLorean driving at 88mph for that.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Now you're just being silly.
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    If Kooty Key is part of a pyramid marketing scheme, I reckon we've reached Level 3 solely through raising brand awareness.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Buy 1 Kooty key and sign up to the ever popular "Kooty Key daily scheme," get one Kooty Key a day so you can pick up your Kooty Key without ever touching your Kooty Key. 
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Still have to open the package to the first Kooty Key. Perhaps a homemade 'Kooty Key' using bic pens and used lolly sticks could resolve the paradox?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Can you take your Kooty Key adverts elswhere 😂😂
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Can you take your Kooty Key adverts elswhere 😂😂
    we're just trying to help you so you don't have to rub covid-19 all over your bits!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stuffing a plastic bag down your pants is by far the better solution.

Pending the not falling out of said pants issue.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    On another note there's a sprint seg in marlow on a bridge.

But the bridge has steep steps either side.
    Must be pretty damm dangerous sprinting on it! You have to be relatively careful jogging down those steps, let alone trying to brake from what is clearly full beans pace 😂
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Im with Bus, you can touch the gates, just wash your hands when you get home. Someone would have had to cough on the gate anyway, or licked it.

10m here today
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    When I saw 15 posts I thought "oh no, no time to read all those before tea". Luckily they were (nearly) all bollocks :smiley:

I try to remember which finger I open the gate with TR, just in case, as I'm a sniffer, toucher and rubber when running! (of me, my face and my eyes before anyone gets other ideas!).

A day of two moods today! I've developed some sort of shoulder injury (rotator cuff or something judging from Google). I don't know how it started, but my left shoulder is pretty much constantly in pain, and seems to be aggravated by honking out of the saddle on a bike - I mean how bloody inconsiderate when I can't run! I don't think the bike is the original cause - I suspect that might be a weight session and gardening - but it isn't helping it calm down. You can imagine the mood I was in this morning after a night of pain and a realisation I wasn't going to go for a bike ride today!

However, the foot finally seems to be making some progress. I went for a brisk walk at lunch, with zero pain and another, longer walk this evening, with almost no pain. Tomorrow will tell of course, but fingers crossed that this is positive. Certainly I'm taking it as such now.....

I also had two 5L kegs of Affligem arrive today, so that'll help :smiley:
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Or coughed on their hand and opened the gate