Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Not freezing here, but definitely autumnal, so I opted for capri length tights and a t-shirt. 6 miles easy (8.22m/m).  Stupid Garmin has told me my VO2 max has jumped several points: this is because it is impressed my paces on the flat are faster than my hilly paces last week.  D'oh!

Speedy's cat is clearly better at waiting for breakfast than either of mine: I would have had my toes nibbled on numerous occasions if I'd dared to stay in bed that long!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - defo, training takes up a lot of time, so cant be festering in bed for too long at weekends too. You could add some miles either side of GNR, although i guess thats tricky with that race. Defo chillier here too.

Jools - my gadget was always predicting well over 3hrs for me, ot helped by a crap wrist hrm. But its recently had a software update which takes terrain etc into consideration so the predictions have improved, its even got me pencilled in at 2.58 currently.

8m today
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    9m easy gave me 299m for the month, so another 1m with the pooch to make it 300m for August.  First time since March 2019 I've hit 300m in a month, feels a bit like March too.  
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I hope the dog approved OO, nice and impressive round total!

CC2.. a new treadie is exciting news - is your previous one broken or did you fancy a more modern variant?  My treadie must be near 15 years old - the display panel is like an Amstrad word processor!  I guess I might as well keep it until I can no longer fix it.
    10.4m today, yes pretty fresh here too but still felt comfy in t-shirt & shorts.
    258m for August.

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Evening all, 

Nice training everyone. Noted parkrun improvement for Wardi, a tasty BAC session from TR, a 2 hour run on the treadie from Toro - hope nothing occurs re the proximity test, TT changing tack and feeling better for it, good stuff, OO looking in fine form after that speedy LR. CC2 sounds like a busy schedule so easy does it. Nice to see Jookska ticking along again - those pesky no-it-all watches! Race day adrenaline will give you the extra miles Joe, steady start as you say and pick it up if you can. 

Still not running here. Ankle feels a little better so plan on a 20 minute tester towards the end of the week. Have reintroduced the s&c but mainly focussing on calf raises and some balance exercises. 

Took this week off as needed to use up some holiday and since I was struggling mentally from not running I needed something else so have been doing some overdue diy. The porch is stripped bare to the brick and ready for finishing. Removing the previous owners favourite decorating product - silicone has kept me busy. 

Also decided to get my bike back from my brother so set off for the New Forest at 3:30am last Saturday, picked it up and was back in Manchester for 3pm. 

The bike needs some work so I've been spending out on new front mech, new cables, new smart trainer and a trainer tyre. I'm secretly hoping I will be running by the time I get round to setting it all up. Although I figure I ought to have a day of indoor cycling and give the running legs a rest in the future. 

I'm basically missing running but trying to fill every waking second with something, anything else :smile:

Keep at it everyone. I'm looking forwards to the autumn races and seeing how you all go. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good topping up OO. 313m for me had a couple of non running days and a lighter week when i was in Wales.

Wardi - defo, keep that treadie going for as long as poss.

SJ - i wondered how you were doing, good to see you filling your time. I often think i should be doing other things rather than running, but i guess when you do then you'd rather be running. Hope the test run goes well. Might be tight for a while.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    14m inc BAC 20min (av 6.38), 5x4min (av 6.25), 20min (av 6.33). Possibly a bit slow on the shorter reps, but the point of those is to make the 2nd 20min feel like running through treacle.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    TR - Cracking, nice one, so thats an hour @ 6.33 ish.  I would be very pleased with those times for that session.  Did it feel like running through treacle?

SJ - Good to hear from you, the cycling will really help maintain fitness and keep the legs strong.  Matter of time before your back running. 

Wardi
    - Good mileage for Aug.  The pooch is always up for a few miles, thankfully.

Easier week for me this week, after last weeks 2 LR and fast 10K, so 5 easy this morning and the same again later.
  • Options
    You can tell races are coming. The forum is positively buzzing!

CC2 - Tasty couple of weeks you have. What is your target for GNR? Also which treadmill are you going for? I shall be joining the treadmill club this winter hopefully.
    OO - Nice bit of rounding up there. Your legs will appreciate a slightly easier week even if there's clearly a double or two to be had.
    TR - Tasty session there. Looks like ideal marathon prep.
    Wardi - big month for you too and hope the shorts and t-shirt continues for as long as possible. I considered gloves yesterday out for a walk, I was shivering.
    SJ - Good to see some positivity. I'm convinced the cycling has helped me get fitter without affecting the injury too much so hopefully the same for you. 

After months of failed attempts we finally got a club group together yesterday for a speed session. I hadn't intended to do any speed this week but couldn't turn down the opportunity to meet some new faces etc. 9.5 miles of running in total with 6x0.7m reps with 90 secs recovery. I shouldn't be surprised as pace doesn't seem to be a problem for me but I managed the reps very consistently at around 5:28 min/miling. The drama came in the warm up where we startled a cat that ran straight into the road and under the front wheels of a car. Fortunately it seemed to be a broken leg at worst and when we found the owner they turned out to be a veterinary nurse...so hopefully safe hands!
  • Options
    Excellent training folks. Some outstandingly quick sessions in there.
    I've deferred Brighton & entered Newport for logistical & fitness reasons.
    Cheeky bastards add a £2.94 processing fee too!!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Good to hear from you Jooligan, hope the training/ running is going well.  I hope you don't mind but your on the list!  Looking forward to meeting you at Newport, that must be your local or near as dammit marathon.   

Race List

Sep 12 - Joe, CC2 - Great North Run

Oct 3 -  OO, Wardi, CC2, TR - London Marathon   Toro - Virtual LM
    Oct 24 - Joolska, Jooligan, OO - Newport Marathon

Nov 7 - TT - Reading HM
    Nov 7 - Wardi - Barca Marathon (TBC)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - wasnt too bad, i seemed to be more focussed on getting out the headwind.

Joe - good session that then. You might not be too far behind that pace at GNR.

Jools - top idea, id becall over Newport too, given where you live.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jooligan.. it's starting to look like a thread day out at Newport!
    TR.. well dones all round for getting through that session.  Good 14m in the bag too.
    SJ.. good stuff on the DIY to keep you focused.  I once moved into a house where the previous occupants idea of putting wallpaper up was to glue it to the previous wallpaper 🤔
    Joe.. excellent session done, hope the cat still has a few lives left. 🐈‍⬛

6.3m today, the sun reappeared!  MLR tomorrow.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    joe - yep, grass will be slower than track, but more importantly easier on the legs than road. I'll be mixing and matching track and grass going forward (just rejoined my old club). Nice reps! Lucky for the cat!
    TR - Yeah, I reckon Jr's got another couple of inches of growing in him. He's starting to embrace the running idea - he has decided he's joining club with me when he turns 16 in a few months. Cracking BAC session! Well executed, and tasty monthly volume.
    OO - nice monthly volume!
    Wardi - you pipped me by a few miles. Nicely done.
    sj - good to see you keeping yourself busy. I'll keep everything crossed for you for the tester!
    254m for me for August, but the first 7 days whilst struggling with my back/waiting for the chiro only totalled 23m, so the average since then has been sneaking closer to 70mpw.
    This week has started slowly. I moved everything by a day to have a restful bank holiday. Didn't quite work like that and I cnba to do more than a 5m on Tuesday. Yesterday was getting back to it with an 8/5 double. 2m @ 5km effort on the road came out at 5:37m/m which is about right (just 1s per mile inside mara pb pace :open_mouth: ). Puts current marathon pace at about 6:05/m and HM pace at about 5:57/m, so a lot of improvement needed over the next 9.5 weeks.
  • Options
    CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Joe - I'm not really targeting GNR. Sub 1.25 and if it's not going to plan just jog it in. What's yours?

The treadmill is Sole TT8, or T88, something along those lines. Which reminds me I should call to check it's still due on Monday, because they've not asked for the balance of the payment yet!
  • Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    I'm on day 6 of close contact testing. Still good. First run since Sat but I should be good for a run every day now as there's limited flying so I can get on deck.

Really impressed by some times/distances (300?! CC2!).  
    August seems disappointing in my head but actually lots of positives: 
    Total 40:51hrs 
    236km run up from 193km Jul, 195km Jun 
    453Km bike up from 204km Jul, 308Km Jun 
    5.7Km Swim up from 0.2Km Jul, 0Km Jun 

• Options
    TR - I'll be over a minute a mile slower at GNR I think. But the session would suggest a 5km pb could be achieved by year end.
    Wardi - what is this sun of which you speak?
    TT - That sounds good, it's effort as much as anything that matters most. Those are tight paces from marathon to half? Presumably based on some experience but i'd be chuffed if I had less than 10 seconds between my half and full marathon paces.
    CC2 - Similar as I want to enjoy it. Post injury the target has always been sub 1:30. I think I need to head out at that pace and then see how i'm feeling later on. 
    Toro - that looks all positive to me. You'll do well to top that again this month.

11 miles this morning at around 7:30s. Much more comfortable than last week and longest run since 2nd May. My week so far has actually resembled marathon training for me but it's nothing but easy running between now and next Sunday.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. good to see you back doing double digit runs again.  Hope the GNR taper goes well.

Toro..you do very well juggling all your exercises considering you're away from Terra firma most of the time.  That August tot up looks impressive to me.

CC2.. that looks like a dead posh treadle, though very much worth it if you use it regularly.  Mine is in a spare room upstairs, it took 4 of us to get it up there!
    Have you got any gym equipment style matting under your treadie?  It does help to reduce noise & vibration.

TT.. sounds like you had a solid month after a poor start.  I guess your speed will gradually improve over the next few weeks if you can keep the miles and sessions up .

10m + 4m double today, the sun made yet another appearance after 12 noon!
    Just about to enjoy a beer on the patio.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Joe - those reps were sharp, your hmp will be quicker than 6.30s. Id do a few sharpening sessions before next sunday. Its a 1/2 not a full and you arnt tapering from a point of fatigue.

Toro - ha ha, thsts not a typical runners pre run worry. Fair play to you for keeping at it.

Fair play to your lad TT

Sounds yummy wardi

8m run commute home, legs a bit creaky after ydays session. Tick over until saturdays long run.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Nice double Wardi. 
    Joe - what TR said. 

2 * 5m for me, morning slow this evening @ 6.35 average pace with some uphill. 

Wondering when we know the start time for the mass race at  London and the wave times. 
  • Options
    Wardi - steady on. although beer well deserved. seems we're in line for some tasty temperatures next week.
    TR - Possibly, my shorter paces would suggest much quicker than 1:30 although on fresh legs last week I couldn't hold sub 7 pace for 9 miles. Its not so much a taper as just trying not to aggrevate the achilles. It tends to be a bit sore after sharper paces and it's still a bit of an unknown how it'll react on any given day. Nice runcommute.
    OO - Nice double. Surprised they haven't released wave times yet. Unfortunately I'm no longer in London that weekend so back to watching it safely on the TV.
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Toro - nice improvement of volume across the board there.
    joe - sounding positive with that 11m; nice one. Yep, those figures are based on previous. My conversion has always been tight. Typically 28s covers me all the way from 5km-Mara.
    I'd agree with TR on the sharpening front, but as you said you need to manage your achilles. Personally in your position I'd find a nice flat piece of grass and do something like 5-8 x 1 min relaxed strides with 2 minutes of jogging in between maybe twice between now and then just to get the legs used to turning over quicker. Keep the strides really relaxed though.
    Wardi - I bloody hope so! I got to this point relatively quickly but things seem to have stalled over the last month or so. I'm sure it's something some consistency and volume (and weight loss) will fix.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I must say I do prefer the early (circa 08.30) start times of the Spanish marathons I'v3e done which avoids the afternoon warmth.  Having said that the London start is out in Blackheath so I guess they have to allow runners time to get there.  London did commence wave starts in the hot year of 2018.  Two of my club ladies (4:30 target) didn't cross the start line until 11am so they ended up running well into the afternoon heat.
    OO.. nice slow/brisk double there.
    TT.. have you got any races/Parkruns due to see where you're at speed wise?
    Steady 5m this morning, kept the handbrake on as I fancy another blast at Parkrun tomorrow.  6mph winds & 13 degrees sounds close to ideal!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Wardi - funnily enough I went to track this evening and ended up playing to get an idea where I'm at/weak. 3km in 10:35 - mainly 5km effort, but eased off heavily on lap 6 before a quicker lap 7. 600 rec then 3 x 400 (200 rec) as solid (80), hard (73), split solid/hard (74 - 39/35). I need solid LT work/tempos, as basic speed is not great but is in better shape than threshold/strength. Good luck for parkrun. Hopefully you continue your recent trend. 
  • Options
    Joe - I suppose after your injury, you just want to have a good race under your belt. I can understand that.

Wardi - I like the Spanish start times too - but then, your normally staying in walking distance of the start.  For the early starters, if the marathon goes for an early start Blackheath will pose a challenge due to the lack of early trains. Also do the BBC want their race coverage starting at 8 am? Suppose we will know this time next week and can make arrangements.

TT - That is a decent tight conversion. 

Another double, 4.5 miles @ 9.30 mm on a gorgeous coastal route with the pooch this morning to celebrate the freedoms, now my 11 year old is back in school and a swifter solo 10k in 37.30 tonight with a  few miles wucd.  Just over a minute quicker than last Fridays 10k, so somethings working. 

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, this week has been a challenge with gyms OOB to me. I got in an hour easy this morning round the flight deck.

OO - looks good.
    TT - hopefully all comes together.
    TR - consistent - that's my aim until the new year.
  • Options
    I've just re-read the London marathon instructions and it says the waves will all go in 90 minutes, so not sure what made me think the race start will be  8/8.30 am, 9.30 more like.  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - that's a couple of sharp runs, 6.35s and 37.30. With a number on you'd be down near 36min.

TT - you must be approaching peak volume/intensity soon ?

Joe - id still do some sharpening, if your achilles really doesnt like some controlled pace or stride then you'll have to ask if racing a 1/2 is wise.

6m easy yday was still a bit tired and creaky after Wedsnesdays session, but wanted to try for a decent length block of mp +10% today (bit quicker than 7.20 was the idea). Came in as 8m easy, 13.1m av 7.13. 2 long runs and 2 big sessions to go.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - cant see the start times being courageous, folks need a chance to get there........still annoys me that they think me getting a train, 2 tubes and a dlr to an indoor number collect/bag drop is safer than them posting me the number and bag and having an outdoor bag drop on race day..........although i do understand that the folks who put money into the race want me to have to the expo so they might be able to sell me something.......but that has fck all to do with my CV safety which is massively at risk on public transport and at an indoor expo.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Nice long run TR, it is starting to loom with a month to go!  BTW I agree re. Expo, hundreds of runners indoors for the sake of a money spinner.
    OO.. nice double and that's a blistering solo 10k time trial.
    TT.. good session again, you should start seeing results pretty soon hopefully.

Didn't quite keep the sequence going at Parkrun but 21.37 was only 4 seconds adrift of last week so I'll call it a plateau. :) 9.7m in total with w/u & a few miles added on.