Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• Options
    Thanks to TR for the heads up to come over to this new thread... I thought the other one was a little quiet!  I'd put a short race report from my autumn marathon there, which basically was done on 10 miles a week training and ended up a kind of reasonable 4:13.

Macca.. unbelievable speed... especially for such an accomplished long ultra runner.

Jools... typically amazing double racing!

OO... lovely race report.

HA... bugger regarding the GFA application... I missed submitting mine last time - I just never saw any publicity for it.  I've still never run London.

Welcome to those new to this thread... and hello again to a few old names - several of which that I've not seen for a while.

First day of the 18/55 programme today.  As always, I won't follow it very well, but it will be a guide. 8.7m through the dark woods with 4@HM.  Some might remember that I usually interpret the HM runs as constant 90%HRMax runs... so just try to keep HR at 158bpm and see what pace comes out. I found it really tough tonight (I don't normally) and achieved 7:43, 7:55, 7:44 and 8:10... so my pace was about to drop off the edge of a cliff.  A long long way to go!
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Jooligan some very good running there. Thanks for the warming, I was going to ask which run to scrap in the week, looks like the answer is the fast intervals. Macca like you I have quite a difference between wrist and strap. I had my watch only one run, watch said 217, stopped, HR was about 145! 

HA77 was that the GFA for London?

Had three days off as I was coming down with something, headed it off. 

Managed what I am now calling my Abba run. MP plus 30-90 seconds, change the speed every time a song changes. Weather is hideous, the mile jog to the gym was bad enough!
  • Options
    Well done guys.

I did 10 miles this morning - wanted a decent length run as I had my booster at 11am and may need to rest tomorrow if it affects me (got Moderna this time). Pace was slow again...HR not so much. Decided to put a few intervals into the last mile for the sake of form as my stride length and cadence are shocking at the moment. Didn't die.
  • Options
    Decent start NE, even if the paces were underwhelming. Least you should beat your pre-Newport weekly average this week.
    Well dodged TT. Is the Abba run a progression then? How far & is MP+30-90 the start or end of the run? I find progression runs easy on the Treadmill but less so outdoors.
    Double figures is good Cal.
    Glad I binned yesterday evening's recovery run - though it was mainly due to working too late rather than common sense. Gave my legs more time to recover before today's 12K w 2x4K@LT. Paces were 6:43/6:38 for the efforts & average pace for the whole run was quicker than last week's 1st 4K.
    Easy Trig bimble tonight.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Macca - That is sharp, and especially so for a guy with your impressive ultra running pedigree. Fantastic to get the club record too, bet that helped keep it all together for the last few miles. 
    Nice one Cal and alive to tell the tale.
    HA - Similar hereish.  Could have deferred VLM 21 to VLM 22 as had  Covid but only remembered 10 minutes past the deferral deadline. I've marked it down for the better.
    TT - Like it.
    NE - Good start to the new plan/ guide.
    Myox- in answer to your question - I hope so. Reckon I was in 2.47 shaoe for London so running Manchester and 2.4X would be mega.
    TR - Great consistent consistency.
    Jooligan - Thats a Saturday well spent.
    SQ - Some really good shorter stuff.

Recovery week so just easy 4/5m daily runs for the moment.  Might do something longer and a bit faster this weekend, but a slight groin issue post-marathon, so letting it ease.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    NE - onwards and upwards then, best keep at it then.

Well done cal, good news on still being alive.

That was sharp Jools

8m inc 10x3min today, felt more normal.
  • Options
    Hope it's ok to join this thread - I've been reading it for a couple of months.
    I've run a few marathons over the years, but my last one was in 2014, when I did 3:09 following the Furman plan with a lot of cycling on the non running days. I was 50 then and have slowed down even more in the last 7 years! But I retired in September and have entered Manchester for next April.
    2021 has not been great as I broke my ankle in May - then just was I was recovering from that I was assaulted whilst out running! Anyway, I'm slowly building the miles so that I can follow the P&D 12 week 35-55 plan. Hopefully a few extra miles will make up for being older & there's still space for cycling with that plan. I'm going to keep up with the cycling, as I haven't slowed down in the same way as I have with running.
    Any help with the P&D plans will be gratefully received and hopefully I will be able to keep up with all your posts.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Welcome Finder, you are one stage ahead of me, I am aiming for my first marathon at Manchester! Sorry to hear about the setbacks, hopefully the next few months will be incident free. 

TR do you ever go above 3 mins?

Jooligan Abba starts at 10mm goes to 9:05mm then back to 10mm then back again, more like rolling pyramids. It does make a nice pattern on the TM screen! 

We now have ice, hail and snow. Back to being winter in Yorkshire. It does look very pretty on the fields. So very long WU then 6 miles at MP with a long WD (on the TM!)
  • Options
    Cal... I'm sure the ten miler will have ensured that that vaccine got circulated round every nook and cranny of your body!  Hope for nothing but a sore arm.

Jools...  a rest day?  What???  But back on it with some pace.

OO... post marathon wind-down is good.  Just try not to make it last about 20 weeks   :#

TR... 'keeping at it' seems to be a bit of problem.  But I got day 1 done! Glad your normal again!

Finder... glad you found the thread! Quite a back-story. Assaulted whilst running... that's not a nice story for us. Fill us in on the details when/if you feel the time is right.  I hope you've regained your confidence.  Looks like you've been a darned good runner. And,  although I'm no professor of physiology, I imagine that if you haven't slowed much on the bike, then it's not a fundamental ageing issue behind your slow-down in running. Maybe a good, structured 6 months of training will have you right back up there.  I'm not sure how many of us are closely following P&D, but I think we're all pretty well versed in it and trust it.  The reason many don't carry on with the same programme year after year is, I think, a need for variety - or just practicalities.

Yesterday was day 3 of 18/55...  supposedly a rest day... but it was also Day 1 of an annual advent running challenge...  so I trundled 6m @ a very leisurely 11:40 pace late last night.

• Options
    Welcome Finder. Look forward to hearing about your progress.
    Thanks for clarifying TT. Sounds like a sensible way of making the TM more interesting. You could always adapt that structure by running the 3rd song at say 8:45 pace then alternating 9:05 & 8:45 before a CD back at 10. Makes for a great MLR workout. I wouldn't do this more than once a week & only when you aren't doing a large chunk of MP in your LR
    Personally I find TM pace significantly less taxing than outdoor running, even with the 2% incline I always use. Do you find the same.
    That's progress NE. 2 runs in a week with, presumably, another 3 to go.
    No rest days so far this year btw. Just the track 200s on Tuesday.
    I began my current streak on 12/11/20 & have run a minimum of 4M every day since with one exception when I just did 5K round FoD parkrun the day after my 75M South Wales Traverse.
    7.9M@8:42 yesterday evening with the first half slow, MT & a bit hilly followed by a quicker 2nd half, all on roads.
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome.
    TT - Yorkshire looked to have been hit pretty bad by last week's storm - and now you've more winter weather! Good effort getting out at MP in those conditions. I'm on the other side of the Pennines. Good luck with your advent challenge.
    NE - The assault was a moronic road rage incident. I was running along a narrow country road (it was my first proper run back after breaking my ankle) & he came up behind me in his car, revving his engine. So I waved to let him know I was there and after about 100 meters was able to pull into a lay-by to let him past. As he drove past he swerved into me, so I flicked him the Vs. Anyway, as I rounded the corner, he had parked across the road & ran full pelt into me. He was a big bloke. I'm only about 145 pounds and I went flying onto my back into the hedge. He drove off - but I got his reg & reported him to the police. The after effect was that I had broken my sacrum, the most painful injury I've ever suffered! Anyway, I'm all recovered now & back trying to build the miles.
    Jooligan - That's an impressive streak! I managed 53 days over the summer in 2019, but then a new job got in the way.

Very cold here today, for 9.3 coastal miles at 8:35s.
  • Options
    Welcome Finder and bloody hell there are some nutters around and like a few on here also intend to run Manchester, as I said some nutters around.  :D  
    A classically impressive Jooligan running streak is building. I ache all over after 5 days. 
    NE - Not on your nelly, Madeira marathon hopefully late January.
    9m nice and easy today in the winter sun - between the rain storms. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Finder - welcome aboard, plenty of 50plus folks on here. Endurance athletes need to be careful who they pick fights with, most endurance folks are small, although not me.

NE - part of the appeal for me is the time and training required to run a strong marathon, it takes months to build anda few hours to execute.

Jools - give yourself a few non running days next yr, ive had lots this year (for me anyway).

8m home tonight.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Finder that sounds horrible. As TR says many over 50s here (me included). Winter has truly arrived, snow gone now biting wind and icy pavements! OO winter sum sounds good, we have in the past been away this week, makes a massive difference training in the sunshine. 

Thanks for the advice Jooligan, I put in a track at 841 as the fifth track, really enjoyed it. Did not realise, however, how long some Queen tracks are (moved in from Abba). I find the TM a lot harder, outside I am mainly in countryside, be it on country lanes, and spent a lot of my time counting bunnies and sheep and avoiding tractors. 

With WU 14.33 miles. Very happy! 
  • Options
    Great MLR on a Friday TT.
    Running outside is easier mentally however my HR is about 3-4bpm lower for the same pace on the TM. It’s why I mainly only do some kind of session on it.
    1M wu into 4x4’ at MP off 2’ easy yesterday lunchtime.
    4.5M recovery this morning.
    Parkrun in the morning & then racing XC in the afternoon.

• Options
    Jooligan - that running streak. W. O. W. !

Finder: what a nutter  :/ (not you).  It sounds like you are on the north west coast. If you’re into footy, then maybe we might not be able to be such good friends??  :D

Decent runs OO, TR, Jooligan and a pretty long midweek one TT.

5m for the advent calendar thing yesterday teatime at about 9:20 pace. Then later I managed to back my car into a wall.  I am 8 weeks short of 40 years of driving... and this will be my first insurance claim. Bugger!   I'm going out in about 15 minutes to do 3 laps of the outside of a supermarket.   Don't ask!
  • Options
    I’m pleased to read plenty of 50+ on this thread. Personally I’ve found the years post 55 as the ones when I’ve seen significant slowing. Hopefully some consistent training will remedy that. As TR says, it takes time & training for a decent marathon.

NE - I think the reason I’ve not slowed on the bike is to do with stride length. A bike is fairly standard for all riders, with crank length etc. So as long as you can still get a decent power output then you’re ok. I am on the north west coast, but originally from Blackburn. So looking forward to this afternoons derby! I won’t be there as I’m looking after my grand daughter this weekend.

Jooligan - that’s a decent MP session. Good luck with you’re busy running weekend.

TT - nice one with the Friday long run.

Just over 40 miles on the bike for me yesterday. Some good climbs, but an annoying westerly cross wind on my north out, south back route
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    We are generally 50+ on here aren't we - a couple of youngsters like SQ and Jooligan, relatively speaking.  ;)  I turn 57 this month and expect my times will slow but hopefully not too much.  I've been fortunate as I've run quicker in my 50's than 40's, indeed 2017 was my golden year with 4 marathon PBs.  Marathon PB's are a thing of the past but I did register a 5k and 10k PB in training in the summer, so all hope is not lost and hopefully still in shape for a 2.4X marathon in 2022. 
    NE - Unlucky, it could have been worse.
    TT - That is very decent for a Friday.
  • Options
    Welcome Finder. I'm in the mid-50s myself. Ran my fastest at 52 but unfortunately lockdown got in the way of me bettering that, and since then I've had injuries (hamstring tendinopathy) and some heart issues that are still under investigation, so I'm about 2 minutes slower over 5K than I was just over a year ago. Hoping that will remedy but we'll have to see.
    Sorry about your road rage incident...I hope the guy was prosecuted. I'd sue his arse for breaking yours.

NE...doh! 

After a very slow 4 mile recovery run yesterday (average 12:10...HR still made it into the 140s) I did Broadwater parkrun today (near Godalming in Surrey). Got a lift off a parkrun mate and there were a lot of parkrun tourists there including several I know. Quite a few parkrun-iversaries for people which meant plenty of cake, and some lovely soul had even made some gluten free cupcakes which I could eat (and I ate three of them...sorry not sorry).
    The course itself comprised of a figure-8 type course, with three laps of the playing fields and two laps of the lake. Some hard path but mostly grass and trail, and rather muddy (and also rooty in places). It was never going to be a fast one in those conditions, so I got a modest 28:38. Average HR was 175 with a max of 187. I was pushing but not rinsing myself, and I felt fine. I guess my max must be around 200, give or take. Heart like a rabbit or something.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    NE - oops!

Finder- dont say that, im 55 next bday.

OO - hopefully we both have plenty of sub3s in the tank yet......despite his luscious locks Jools is an M50 too.

Had a ropey night with the left overs of this cold or booster effects, felt pretty ropey during a fee easy miles this morning, so i decided to sack off tomorrows 1/2. My racing year is finished, happy to have bagged a couple of sub3s. Focus moves towards next years sub3s.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Never tried them Gina but I believe clubmates rate them over the shorter distances, no idea about how they fare over the marathon. Stick around & share your journey.
    Probably wise TR. Clubmate had his booster Thursday, felt lousy yesterday but ok today, however after 2 miles of XC he was done for & would’ve jacked it in were we not dependent on all of us finishing.
    Bad luck NE. Good luck with your Advent challenge.
    That sounds like fun Cal, which is the main reason we run after all.
    As TR said, I am indeed MV50 though only 52 so this is my year to be collecting a few PBs OO, perhaps.
    Cycling’s enjoyment is very much more weather dependent than running Finder, which is why I favour bipedal propulsion over pedal-power 😆 
    Parkrun was a flat, but slippery, grass 2 lapper. I wore my Mud-Claws but was still sliding around. Slotted into 3rd from the get go. Ahead was an old fell racing rival,who’d always had more raw speed from his rugby days, followed by a chap being dragged around by a bull terrier. We stayed this way til 4K when I managed to go past the dog/human team as the four-footed partner was no longer pulling their weight. Managed to hold on right to the finish for 🥈 just 20s behind the winner.
    Quick turnaround to get breakfast then grab a lift to XC which was 2hrs away round Pembrey Country Park near Llanelli. I always enjoy running this course as the sandy soil drains well so the going is good. A couple of woody trails a few sand traps & some dune climbs keep it interesting enough. Went out much quicker than the previous 2 races this season & swiftly became aware that a few familiar faces were still around me rather than disappearing into the distance which motivated me to push on. Ran really well for about 4.5 miles then tired slightly. The final K was disappointing pace-wise but it included a sand trap, the big Sandy dune climb then 3 more grassy dunes & 400m into the brisk headwind to finish. Only got overtaken by one runner in the final 400m though which is a significant improvement. Highest finish position this season 😎

• Options
    Jools, I ran my sub 4 at 52, along with PBs in all my other distances. No reason you can't, at all.

A 16 mile slog today...horrible windy, drizzly weather. Annoyingly, after fitting perfectly all week, my HRM kept sliding down so I had to keep stopping to adjust it so HR data for the run was dodgy. Not sure how it worked its way loose but I'll be more careful putting it on in future.
    Also took a wrong turning which added a couple of miles to the run, but I got to see a couple of egrets in a ditch which I'd have missed otherwise. At least I know I can do 16 miles without too much trouble (albeit slowly and with a few stops along the way).
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal your description of the weather is exactly why I am treadmill running at the moment. 

Jooligan sounds like a very good day.

Gina which race are you heading for?

OO and Finder I  have the advantage of being at uni so I can long run on any day, so the Friday run was most people's Sunday LR run.

NE my advent challenge is to eat chocolate every day!

Spin class then six 800m intervals at 5km, with a long WD! Really enjoyed it and I can see the benefits of what is now 10 weeks of consistent running, nothing overwhelming but added up it has mae a difference.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Decent LR Cal.
    I was only 1s a mile quicker on this afternoon’s 18M 😆
    Legs were feeling yesterday’s racing so quite glad the planned 50K got called off. Really serious windchill on the hills today. First 10M involved climbing 2 550 metre summits & dropping down between. Mainly off road too so very slow even on the descents. The 8M back to the car was along the canal towpath so the pace picked up to 8:XX
    Lovely views from the summits. Too cold to stop on the 1st but added a buff & an extra layer in the valley between so managed these shots.

• Options
    Jooligan - great racing Saturday, and how you do a hilly 18m recovery run, with sub-9 miles on the canal is beyond me!

TT - 10 wks consistent running - hope I am  there too, in another 9 weeks!

Cal - 16m slogs are a valuable of course. An important part of the mix. 

Gina - sorry, don’t know those. 

TR - into the off-season. Enjoy the break.  

OO - I am also “mid” (just) fifties, at 57. The benefit of not doing distance running until 48 is that you have no fast PBs to weigh on your mind. I reached a peak at 55 (2019) but have clunked along since then so I can’t be sure if my decline is down to age or dreadful training. Hopefully I can find out next year. 

Finder: I am not talking to you!

Saturday - a few mediocre hill reps and Sunday, was race-day - a 2.1k loop of town wearing a Santa hat. I am considering reporting my daughter to marathoninvestigations.com. Ended total of 10-11 miles for the day for a 38m week. 

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Jooligan amazing views. 

NE you are ahead of me, my first week of the 10 week block was less than 25 miles. It is the consistent running which is making the difference as I am doing a lot at MP+30-90 seconds. 

It was extremely cold this morning (3 degrees) but as the weather is going to become worse I went outside! Spin class to warm up, then just over nine miles, I ran round some of the estates and admired the Christmas decorations. 
  • Options
    Loos like I'm in the right place - a lot of generation 64-65!
    Ouch Ouch - I'm impressed and envious of your speedy marathons. I'll be pleased with a GFA for London at Manchester. Funnily enough, I was in GC in the 2 weeks before the marathon. I didn't realise there was one in Maspalomas until we saw the preparations. But we left the day before - we watched some of the junior races on the Saturday and I did a couple of runs on some of the course following the optimum blue line.

Cal - sounds like you're having some challenges at the moment. If it's any comfort, I had some heart issues about 10 years ago, with lots of tests and monitoring, like being strapped up to a mobile ecg for a week. Turned out I had a benign condition and haven't had any issues since.

TT - that's a decent mic of spinning and reps. I enjoy the odd brick session - it's a good training stimulus.

TR - doubt you'll slow like I have. You train way harder than I do! I've hardly slowed at all on the bike, so apart from the mechanics, I probably just need to be as diligent on the run as I am on the bike.

Gina - I've no experience of those shoes, but have had a few pairs of Saucony over the years and always liked them. Sounds like we're in a similar place with 4 runs a week.

Jooligan - solid weekend there and excellent pics. Are they the Black Mountains/Brecons?

Northender - Mmm...what can I say. I looked at the stats & see yours had most of the possession - but it's the goals that count...

Did a slow 4 on Saturday, then a decent paced 13.1 on Sunday on local trails. A little bit of an easier running week, with the Rovers 10K on Sunday coming up.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Well identified Finder. That was Bryn summit cairn above Talybont Reservoir. The first picture is looking back towards the Black Mountains, the pointy one in the middle is Sugar Loaf. The 2nd is Fan-y-Big, Cribyn & Pen-y-Fan/Corn Du ridge. Great running but not in yesterday’s gale hence stayed lower down.
    Even I wouldn’t try & claim an 18M hilly run was a ‘recovery’ NE.😆
    That was lunchtime’s 7K at 8:00.
    Well done on the continuing streak & Santa Run. You doing our Xmas Tree Race on the 19th?
  • Options
    Good stuff Jooligan. I recognised Pen-Y-Fan/Corn Du from some long hikes I did around their in the early 80s - also straying into the Black mountains. I always thought it was a shame that Pen-Y-Fan was only 93 feet short of 3K, as it would have made the Welsh 3000s a completely different challenge!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Finder - you need to run a bit more for a while and see where you get to.

Cal - good to see you doing more.

Jools - you have some cracking adventures, makes my commutes running and weekend long run (on some of the same lanes again) see a bit tame.

Easy miles here. 18 wks til Brighton mara, so a good time to start putting in some double digit runs again.