Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    TS That poor man and elite athlete should  know what to do!

Blimey that was some cross training.

Dave: Well done on your wet miles a nice distance and hope Birthday tea is delicious.Daughter is a chip off the old block;-)

Mick:  Glad you managed to fix the snow blower and well done on 5k run.

4 miles for me yesterday as a recovery run.Today a rest Day winds are over 50mph so thought it best.                                                                                   
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    TS-Something you don’t really need to be wrestling with fences and the like.I used to have a Mondeo and it was a great workhorse for many trips to the dump.Your running seems to be going well at the moment,just don’t get injured doing none running things if possible.

Alehouse-Guess you are not happy with the foxes at the moment,not sure what’s happened.Think it’s a good idea to do a 5k just to see where your at running wise.

Dave-Good 7miles getting drenched,you deserved the cake.

Mick-Your weather is on another level compared to ours thankfully.A good 5k knocked off in your man cave.

WP-You deserve a rest day after some pretty consistent training.

My choice of running route was a bit of disaster yesterday.Thinking I would keep it flat along the towpath, but never reckoned for so many fallen trees.A bit of clambering and ducking under at least six trees.The wind was pretty hard to run against more of a shuffle.Anyway 9miles done at 9:42 pace.

A good win for my team spurs but not going to get to elated .
  • Options
    Mick
    you didn't make the man cave soundproof :)?
    Lovely - working on metal in very cold conditions!

I guess it was all a matter of weight issues for an elite athlete...

WP
    I had some more xtraining to do this morning as the overnight gale ripped the rest of the fence off!
    Of course no one has turned up at the adjacent house today so I have pushed all the debris onto their side!

I have followed your lead and had a rest day as it was really blowing hard this morning.

Wordle in three today - good first choice!

• Options
    Ray

xpost again!

You did well not to find the towpath flooded!  I have seen areas underwater that have never had standing water on them before.
    There are some really big trees around here that have just snapped off near the base of the trunk - quite upsetting to see 2-300 years of growth just snapped off.

Getting 9 miles done in those conditions was no mean feat - well done.

I expect alehouse is still mourning the loss of form of the Foxes - it does appear to have gone downhill very quickly for them.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    excellent pace and distance, Ray . . .

followed WP & TS examples with a rest day - though walked maybe 3 miles this morning - into city centre for errands, then on to Mum visit, and back home.  Thought about a trot this afternoon, but legs seem to be feeling yesterday's run, and just had a message from "marathon mentee", with whom I now have a running date at 9:30am tomorrow . . .

Dave
  • Options
    The sports ground at the end of my road. Earlier the water came up to the cross bar of the rugby posts! Fortunately there is a small hill between the fields and the houses. I run past here most days so alternative routes will be needed for a while. Probably a good week for a cutback week which I was thinking of anyway: have averaged over 40 km for the last 5 weeks and legs are feeling lethargic...although that could be due to a fair amount of decorating rather than running! 

Going well, Ray!

Wordle in 4.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    5.5 miles with marathon mentee this morning - soggy again, but sun came out for the post-run coffee in the park !  

Dave
  • Options
    Sounds decent, Birch!

Another thorough soaking this morning on my short excursion looking for off road places to run without much success. Definitely an easy week!

Wordle in four. 

Lots of cross training decorating! Long stretch later!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Nice to see rest day was followed sounds like we all needed it with weather.

Dave great run in trying conditions.

TS: Hope there was  less cross training today and more running :)

6 miles for me this morning but it was still windy it blew the bobble of end of plait! never ever happened  before. It must have happened on way down as on way back plait blowing in face and then I noticed it was missing and I look up road in a wet puddle was my bobble.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Sounds tough, WP.

Meant to say, have been having trouble with headaches and pains in the back of my head off and on for a year now so had a scan of the whole spine. I saw the consultant on Friday. He couldn't see anything of concern, aging apart, so has now organised both an MRI and MRA scan of the head, and has referred me to a neurologist to interpret the results. Happens to be a guy I know quite well as he runs for my club!

• Options
    alehouse
    just as well you let the right people into your running club!!
    Seriously, that sounds very concerning - I hope your scans sort it out, and quickly.
    In the meantime stay out of the water :)
    Decorating can seriously damage your running particularly where steps are involved...

WP
    great miles but, wow, it must have been blowy to rip your bobble off.

Dave
    at least you got your coffee in the sunshine - after a decent run as well

Hash last night in Boston Spa to which I went in some trepidation as the bridge over/under the river had been closed  by the floods on Sunday.
    However it had dried up surprisingly well and on a brilliantly clear night, with frost in the offing, I did just under 5 miles on well paved cycle paths and footpaths. with sights of flooded fields all around, but dry underfoot.

Well away from street lighting most of the time so the clear skies gave an excellent view of the stars when I had the chance to look up!

Wordle in four yesterday but six today - too many choices after getting the first two letters in three!

• Options
    Ale: I hope all goes well with scans but it sounds worrying.Hope it happens soon.

TS: 5 miles well done that is impressive.
    Well done on Wordle as well I also needed six lines yesterday!

No run today feeling tired and sore throat and headache.So will dose up and take it easier today.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Wordle in 3! To my surprise!

Decent run at the Hash, TS!

Hope that you are back to it tomorrow, WP

Forced myself out for just over 45 minutes, trying to find runnable off road routes, with a fair degree of success. A couple of detours necessary but better even than yesterday. Rainy and windy the moment that I stepped out of the door!

Was taking an easy week and had thought about popping down to The Smoke to run LFoM...until I tried to buy a ticket this morning. No standard fares but I could have a first class for £150+. No thank you! And services are not at all reliable at present in any case so I will stick to the decorating and plodding a few kms. 

TS: the decorating is getting to my knees and hips: kneeling or on my side doing the skirting or the bottom half of doors etc. 
  • Options
    What is a normal ticket cost Alehouse? £150 blimey that seems a lot!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Standard return with my railcard is £62 currently, WP. Not a cheap day out with food and (lots of) beer but I enjoy it now and again. February is probably not the best time to go anyway!
  • Options
    So more than double normal price! Nice to go for a treat maybe better to go when there is better weather?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - hash sounds a real good one, made even better by expectation being exceeded.

WP - you're going well, so maybe a timely day off in view of symptoms. Good work recovering bobble!  

alehouse - hope the scan allays any concerns.  Good route finding, and yes, don't blame you for postponing "Smoke" visit !  

well, an unplanned double digit excursion today. Drove to a flat(ish) location, partly so I could do a decent sized shop afterwards at large supermarket nearby. Legs felt ok, so I kept on adding loops; 8.2 on watch (including 2 x (4 x 160m hill) ) when tiredness began to creep into legs, but decided to carry on and made it a nice round 10.  Pretty attritional last mile, but nowhere near as bad as my only other double digit this year.  A lovely morning for it, too !

Dave
  • Options
    Decent excursion today, Birch!

WP: the £150+ is first class one way; a first class return is £215.25! Might be cheaper to get a taxi!
  • Options
    alehouse

your remarks on ticket prices reminds me that I haven't been on a train to London in a long time - I have saved a small fortune thanks to Teams calls!
    Just checked - my previous normal journey (Advance first class ticket fixed times) now costs £266 return :'(

Oh yes- skirtings!  Getting down isn't so bad and then shuffling along it's the getting back up :/

Dave
    I hope you didn't go shopping after your 10 miles - and if you did you recorded it as extra mileage!!
    Good going into double digits

WP
    hope you woke up feeling refreshed 

Thank you all for comments about the Hash run - but if you had seen it it may have been a different tale
    I am afraid my horizons are closing in quite rapidly.  Even at very modest speeds my knees are not holding out and the pain level is reducing me to a hobble. 

I was quite pleased that I had early calls yesterday so I didn't have to go out and this morning, out in snow and sleet, I decided that 2+ miles was enough.

Gave me enough time to do Wordle in five - must be slipping or too many choices!

• Options
    It will be interesting to see what our beloved leader announces today by way of action against Russia after the real shooting war has started in Ukraine.

Anything less than total banning all trade, sporting and cultural links, closure of all Russian banks,  immediate repatriation of all Russians living in the UK without dual citizenship or married to UK nationals, closure of the Russian embassy except for 2 or 3 officials will be regarded by me as a failure....

Do I expect that to happen.................
  • Options
    Ale: I assumed it was a return!! Jolly glad I do not need to go to London will check......Off peak £92.80p return.First class £168 each way.

I got up and not feel so good but find boot Camp is on so shift myself and go it was leg day!! then a 2 mile shuffle run post Boot Camp.So better than I thought for today.

Dreadful news :(
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Wordle in 4 today. 

Another 50 minutes in the bank today in a run that saw at least three seasons. The sleet was refreshing 35 minutes in. On 83 miles for the month, so 100 will be a close run thing, I suspect. 

I would not believe a word of whatever is announced re Russia for several reasons: first of all it is difficult to believe a word that the PM says, and secondly recent history. 
    In 1980 Mrs Thatcher wanted to cut off all links with Russia and to that end wanted Great Britain and Northern Ireland to withdraw from the Olympics. At the very same time she wrote to people working in Russia to say that they MUST continue to work for the sake of the economy. One of my friends had such a letter and took it to the press, and has done so again in the last couple of years: there is a 50 year D notice on this information. I probably shouldn't be reporting this on here as I will have MI5 or similar around!
    Talking of which, a year or so later the same guy travelled from Moscow to Heathrow and on to the Isle of Man (or Isle of Beer as we know it) for the annual Easter athletic festival. I met him off of the plane at Ronaldsway airport. He was arrested, as was I: M15 had followed him all the way from his place of work, around 200 miles away from Moscow, to the Isle of Man, suspecting that he was passing on information...to me! Actually everybody was very pleasant and when he showed his running kit, including his Alehouse running vest, everyone had a good laugh and we were wished a good weekend! Memorable! But rather sinister. 
  • Options
    alehouse
    so the EUFA cup final should take place in St Petersburg...  and the FI race?  They would just be symbolic gestures as well.

There is a world of difference between a cold and a hot war on our European doorstep. This is going to get very messy and very bloody very quickly unless it is stopped and where does it end - Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Germany .....?

According to Putin's ravings he wants to re-establish the zone of influence of the old USSR.

I have security clearance that goes back a long way through working on major projects in the defence sector.
    I recall a conversation with a senior British tank commander, from back in the days when we had divisions in Germany, who said that it would take about 5 days before tactical nuclear weapons would have to be deployed after a Soviet invasion westwards in order to slow it down.

This is day one........
  • Options
    ... but I agree about the credibility of the PM!!!
  • Options
    TS, I agree with you! I wasn't saying that there shouldn't be the severest sanctions... probably starting with the ownership of Chelsea FC. My point was that what is said in public doesn't  always quite play out that way!

Meant to say, glad you did something today, WP! I really ought to do some stretches etc today: don't think that decorating is sufficient. Will try to do some whilst cooking and before The Foxes game at 5:45. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    News too sobering to discuss any non-running matters, so I'll just report a rest day - legs need it after last couple of days.

Dave
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    This is way too much water but I guess you can look forward to the usual drought this summer.

WP,
    Well, I have been running since high school but I have not experienced having my bobble blown off. Well done in getting out in that.

TS,
    This is not good news this morning and you and I are just too old for this crap. It is long overdue for 21st century leaders to find some way to sort rogue nations. No nation can stand on its own anymore, we need each just to feed ourselves. The rest of the world could bring Russia to its knees without thousands dying, if it acted together.
    I live about as far away as you can get and know that mine go to bed safe at night but it doesn't help the thousands that are now running for their lives.

-18c wind chill here so 5.5k done easy on the treadmill. Will walk the dog this afternoon wearing my heated mitts of course.

Keep safe
    Mick

• Options
    News from Ukraine not looking good...
    Sanctions don't seem to be affecting certain football club owners...

That's cold again, Mick!

60 minutes and 1 second this morning, largely off road. Will take an easy day tomorrow I suspect as have done 40, 50 and 60 minutes the last three days. All pretty gentle.

Hope you get out today, Birch!

Wordle in 3. Another fluke. 
  • Options
    been out all day from early on.

Mick
    as alehouse says- chilly out your way!!

Just wait until |Putin claims all the North Pole for Russia - he will be getting a lot closer!

alehouse
    over an hour on your feet well done :)
    It is rugby super Saturday so it may have to be pork pies and beer here..

Wordle - I had none and one after two goes then the last two in the right place after three and there was only one combination that could fit thereafter so sidled in in four.

Driving back I heard that the European Song Contest has banned Russia so that should turn the tide!

Not enough being done and as usual some in Europe are dragging their feet....
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Gentle running is just what I need, but not for me today. We have a major dump of snow in high wind so you can guess what my exercise will be. No walk for the dog either as her legs are too short so she will have to wait until the roads have been cleared. Now I need the snowblower to behave.
    Mick