Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Mick
    in the ol' days of extreme winters here I can remember using an old sock for strategic warming purposes on occasion!
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    We are suppose to have 25% of the world's fresh water around here. A huge amount of it is stored in the rock beneath our feet. My neighbourhood is on well water. For our new house we just drilled down to the aqua level. It is drinkable without treatment but we do soften it and remove a lot of the iron. It is hard to drink city water after getting use to well water.
    An hours run is still a good session. I tend to think of time on my feet these days rather than distance run.

I had to postpone my run with the boys today as the footing was too messy, way too much backslip. It is forecasted to go above freezing in the next few days that should fix it. I'll tak a rest day instead.

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    checked my records for Dewsbury, TS - done it three times, course best of 35:53 in 1995.

just the male offspring present this time - 32:05 for 5th place.

5K around the local parks this teatime - agreeably atmospheric in the dusk & mizzle  . . .

Dave
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Mick
    good to see you are self sufficient in water!!  I guess the Great Lakes hold quite a bit as well :)
    Hope conditions outside ease for you today

Dave
    great run by your son - well done to him.

And to you for your earlier run in that race - of course you were a mere youngster then :)
    I ran it in 41:42 ten years later than you and just a fortnight after I had run the Brass Monkey HM in 91:32. 
    I had anticipated running the 10K a lot faster than I did based on the HM result and afterwards began to think that this aging thing might have something to it after all as I had not fully recovered - little did I know just how much :/

Saving legs for the Hash tonight - level part of the town so I should manage to get round with some judicious walking 

Wordle average slipping with another 4 today ...
  • Options
    Forgot to say - I am not really a fan of winter Olympics but I caught the performance of the young Russian skater, Valieva, - breathtaking!!! 
  • Options
    Dave: Well done on your time for race and your son .

I think we would see a lot more if it was not on at silly oclock.The bits I have seen has been good.Not seen the skater though.

Yesterday 3 miles as very tired 4th night with little sleep.But thankfully a good 10 hours last night so a good 7.10 miler this morning climbing 855ft and longest run since August!

Away for a few days but plenty of time to run and hike:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Great time for the youngster, oh for the days when I could do that.

WP,
    You do well on lost sleep, I'm a basket case.

TS,
    I like to watch the xcountry skiers on the downhill bends. Their technique is superb. They make those step turns so smooth. I would do them ok fresh but as I tired they became a little risky.
    Much warmer today but the footing wasn't great, had to walk in a few places. 5.4k done and it felt wonderful to be outside and exercising. Will take the dog for her walk before the Newcastle game.

Mick
  • Options
    WP
    that was a long way up - nearly half way up Snowdon!! Good run

Mick
    they do turn some pretty tight edges at times!
    Would have fancied doing some Big Air :)?

Saint Maximin should make a good skier given his ability to turn direction so sharply :)  Always good to see a player prepared to take others on even if it doesn't always produce an end product
    The Hash was from a pub with numerous TV's so I managed to watch most of the game - some hope blooms after a performance like that - and it drags Everton down into the mire as well.

A near 3 miles last night and 2+ this morning - lovely out there.  All the birds were singing as though spring had fully sprung - snowdrops and crocus in the garden and daffodils not far behind!!
  • Options
    Wordle in 4 again - watch out :)!
  • Options
    Wordle was a struggle today. I was not amused. 5th attempt. 

Hash sounded good!

Didn't particularly find my run funny either: just under 40 minutes but it was a bit of a struggle. May be down to two days' work, Monday's run, Tuesday's long stretch, etc. 

Good win for Newcastle. Must be entirely down to me choosing three Everton players for my Fantasy Team. I have no Leicester players given our current woeful performances: rapidly slipping down the table. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    alehouse
    no it wasn't very funny was it?

This work thing does get in the way of running doesn't it?  But 40 mins, even if a struggle, keeps you out there and in the game.

Could you pick a few players from Watford, Norwich and Burnley as well  please :)
    Leicester do seem to be struggling and the weekend display against Notts Forest wont have helped.

One downside of the Hash was talking to one guy who had been out of running from some time due to a lower calf injury.  Finally got an appointment and it was confirmed he had an 80-90%  rupture of the achilles tendon :/.
    Now in a boot but without much knowledge as to whether he has to have surgery or more conservative treatment.
    He did it slipping off a kerb in normal shoes !!

2+  miles again this morning - slow but steady.  Actually overtook someone else running near the end - she had no chance as I closed with only 100m to go to my house :)

Wordle in 3 today - hurray (not a clue)!  Nearly in 2, just one letter out.
  • Options
    ... looks like the young Russian skater, Kamila Valieva, who I so admired, may now be at the centre of a drugs investigation :/:/:/
  • Options
    Morning

Sorry not posted for  a few days. Had a cut back week last week even on my pow mileage  lol. I needed it.

Back on track this week will try to catch up.

TS a bit of a let down when someone  you admire might be taking something 
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Pammie,good to hear from you again.

Just been building up slowly after covid really but the track session on Tuesday was a shock.

Managed 8.50 miles this morning at 9:32 pace.

Southampton could have had five in the first half,they totally out played us and well deserved to win.

TS,I haven’t watched any Winter Olympics so far.

Wordle when I remember.

• Options
    Hi

Just to pick up on one post since I last posted myself, whatever the pros and cons of long running streaks, 200 from alehouse is mightily impressive.

My foot continues to improve with my more dedicated exercise regime and a few days ago I ran 2.1 miles without having to stop at all. It's way back since that last happened so very encouraging. 

A fantastic atmosphere at SJP on Tuesday evening against Everton and the great escape at least seems possible now. Never thought I'd say it but i hope complacency doesn't creep in. Still  a long way to go.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    That's progress, GL...both from you and from your team! At this rate you will finish above The Foxes! Re streaks...I ran every day in the 1990s (actually over 11 years)! 

Don't push things too soon, Ray!

Wordle...in four. Today's was a little  frustrating! Bit like my last couple of runs! Anyway, another 30 minutes (and 2 seconds!) banked. Was cold, windy but bright blue skies with only 1% chance of precipitation, so lots of layers but no jacket. Shortly after starting there was sleet of course, although it didn't last long. Never really got warm.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Graham
    careful - it's the hope that kills - in football and running!
    But good news about the foot - you have caught me up distance wise :)

Pammie
    good to hear from you - busy at work?

Ray
    track sessions are a hard ask after Covid - take care.  However it didn't appear to affect your longer run today at all - good going.

alehouse
    yup - I went out sans gloves this morning and soon had my hands tucked inside the fortunately long sleeves of my Mizuno top for most of the brief run!!

BTW - I spoke to Ceal yesterday - she was sitting in an empty house, apart from a bed, before moving today to warmer climes in Plymouth - just in time to save on heating bills!!
    She asked to be remembered to those on here that knew her - no more running from her but still walking a lot.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Ray,
    I think spurs made them look better than they were.

Graham,
    Good news on the foot.

+4c here today so 7k done with the boys. No heated mitts required.

Mick

• Options
    Evening

TS always busy 
  • Options
    Mick

-4C here this morning - no 7K done but the usual 2+ miles in bright sunshine and hard white frost.

Wordle done in 6 - panic time!!  I see it is now under the New York Times banner.

Now just how does a 15 year old Russian ice skater get the drug Trimetazidine into her system - it being a drug for the treatment of angina?!

Oh, it can increase blood flow efficiency and improve endurance - and has been found in other Russian (and Chinese) athletes in the past.

It passes comprehension that anyone would administer such a drug to a child........ 
  • Options
    Wordle was struggle but got it on the last attempt today.

And running was also a struggle. Colder than Mick's temperature of yesterday! Anyway another 45 minutes plodded wearing lots of layers. Dry. Waited until most of the frost had gone but with the wind chill factor it was probably just below zero. 

And The Foxes struggled again yesterday. They could be in trouble at this rate. 
  • Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    A nice bright morning here but a early morning frost.

Had to have what i think is a routine blood test for the Kidneys as I’m on blood pressure medication.

TS-reckon Ceal walks at a fair lick as well.

Alehouse-The foxes have certainly hit a bad patch.

Mick-just many to mediocre players I’m afraid.

Graham-hope the foot continues to progress.

Wordle in 4 but took a long time.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hope WP is enjoying her break (and has built on the 7 miler with more activity) . . .

TS - good stuff this week; hash nicely backed up, with avian soundtrack, then ruthlessly "taking down" your unsuspecting rival :)  

Ray - excellent pace over the distance - envious !!  

alehouse - would you be less laboured with fewer layers?   

similar to Mick's 4c for my run today -   3 is the number of the day, being the miles I ran in the local park (with 8 x 150m "strideouts"),  my 3rd attempt at Wordle, succeeding in 3 goes (lucky choice of first word, I think).   
     . . . and quite amusing to read of the "travails" of your footy teams in the Prem, from my vantage point down here in Division 3 (our 3rd spell here since leaving the Prem in 2000!
    :)  

Dave
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Bad couple of days for me. My treat with the boys gave me a dose of food poisoning. All the usual issues but feeling much better today, should be up for a run tomorrow.
    Mick
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that, Mick; trust that you are indeed out running tomorrow. 

No doubt you are right re the kit, Birch...although wasn't going to experiment today! One short sleeved top, one lighter weight long sleeved, one heavy long sleeved, one waterproof for the top; gloves, hat, tracksters. Just over 36 minutes: one of the early ks was nearly 7 minutes going into the wind on a gentle slope. Coming back the same way was 5:05 with less effort due to the wind and driving rain. Or I had warmed up. 

Then an afternoon of sport: MU v Soton, then Wales/Scotland and then was just getting into the France/Ireland game when I had to pop out for a scan on my back. Exhausting staying still for 58 minutes! Results next Friday all being well. Consultant and physio were concerned about neck pain recently given two other spinal fractures in the last few years, and a neck fracture in the past.

Wordle was a tricky one again! Perhaps they are running short of 5 letter words! Anyway, 5 scored. Must have cross posted with you yesterday, TS: similar battles with Wordle...and probably similar thoughts about 15 year olds and medication!
  • Options
    Wordle in 5. Another struggle on a fairly easy word, which they all are of course when you know the answer!

Fitness suite then another wet and windy run brought up 41k for the week, the highest since the middle of last October. 

Rugby at 3. Foxes at 4:30. 
  • Options
    Ray
    is that low or high pressure?

Dave
    things do tend to happen in threes :) - you are proving it!
    The only way is up as the Owls will ascend...

well done on the Wordle in 3

MIck
    nasty - that will teach you to have treats!  Sure it wasn't just the after effects of watching Spurs?

alehouse
    crikey that is a bad run of back traumas.  
    Had you had the scan booked for long?
    Last time I had a scan I fell asleep in the machine!

Great day for watching sport - I watched both rugby matches in full.  Nice to see Scotland getting beaten after all the talk about how good they were (they weren't!) the previous week and the France v Ireland game was immense.

Ventured out this morning - milder but some of alehouse's driving rain, flooded paths and large puddles everywhere.
    Managed 3.2 miles in plenty - 37 min with my knee threatening to fail several times but managed to keep it stable.
    Not much sign of life out there today - even the squabbling robins in the garden were silent today- drowned out by the rain!!

Now have to watch the Toon v Aston Villa followed by the Italy v England rugby game - not much else going to be done today

Wordle in 3 yesterday and 4 today.  Only one letter after two goes today!

• Options
    morning all ,
    Just to say I am back after my break away and boy my legs and achilles appreciated only a 2 mile walk yesterday as travelling.Saturday I was limping and not seen it this bad for years but after soaking it , streetching it and elevating it all is well again.

I ran lots of hilly miles and walked lots of hilly miles.

Back out today to see what I can do:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    welcome back, WP - no wonder your achilles needed tlc , after all the hillwork !  

hope Mick is back to full health and out on the trails.

alehouse - good week - about double my total.   I awarded myself a Dr Ron style 1 mile yesterday - jogging around at Scunthorpe, as N competed in the "Valentine 10K". A nice jaunt for her, as she resided and worked there for a period, and caught up with some former clubmates from the AC.  Good result, too!  

We avoided TS's weather too - the heavy rain arrived just as N was finishing her 1 mile warmdown.   Good work getting out in those conditions, TS.

Mum visit earlier, so I'll get out for a trot later on.

Dave
  • Options
    Enjoy your trot later, Birch! And well done to N: big PB?

Another soaking this morning, although the wind has dropped. Ran with my M76 neighbour but he only wanted half an hour; I added on another couple of Kms. Usually do my "long" run on a Monday. Probably do it Wednesday or Thursday.