Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Cal-Sorry neither of you had a good race,hopefully Steve reports soon.
    The Newport tracker was way better than Manchester,it had 7 timing points,rather than Manchester 3.
    I popped along to a 5 mile league race this morning,very hilly(450ft) think we done ok though,hoping our vet men keep our lead at the top.
  • Options
    Shades, I’m perfecting a new technique called “virtual running”!  LOL.  Do the occasional run and Bobo has just signed me up for a 10k at the end of the month which should be fun as it’s at midnight!!!

Big G - yes I fear for the old forum.  Sadly Facebook has taken over so I wouldn’t be surprised if the do turn it off.  

Shades, yes if you are up here do let us know - it would be brilliant to meet up somewhere for a catch up.  We had Mr Bump and his family to stay a few days ago - he is in great form although sadly just getting over covid!   
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Shades - sorry to hear the knee was playing up. Really hard when you get pain like that early on - you did well to finish! 

Cal - don't be hard on yourself, shingles is a nasty virus and you've done really well to run at all. Passing out on the tram sounds dramatic - hope you are feeling better now.

BigG - loads of luck for tomorrow - glad you got the Garmin strap sorted. Also - thanks to your tip about Seville - we are now planning that one for next Feb. It coincides with half term and my husband didn't need much convincing. 

Robert - I can't run past home for that reason - you did well to carry on! 

RCouture - thank you - that's probably the thing putting me off Copenhagen as I don't do well in the heat either! But it is appealing as a place to go.

I did 12 miles yesterday morning. It was fine but then I ended up with the mother of all headaches later on and nothing would touch it. Strange as it wasn't particularly hot but my normal post-run rehydration strategies obviously didn't work. Feeling much better today and we've been for a reasonable walk in the woods whilst eldest child did orienteering with scouts. 
  • Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    Well, hello! I had no idea that the forum was still running but PSC told me it was earlier. Hope you’re well Shades!

Mr Bump posted on Facebook earlier and I made a comment about how many of us met on this thread 18 years ago now 😵

I’m still marathoning and ultraing - I did the SDW50 last week and I’ve just entered Halstead Marathon for next month as it was my first back in 2006 and it will be my 50th mara/ultra 😊
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - thanks.   Hope your recovery from Covid is still going well.

Rcouture - Journey home was speedy, 90 minutes, delays on M4 was in the other direction.   I'll do a report on Newport this morning.

Ian - I would expect Manchester to be more slick on splits.   Quite impressive that Newport had so many especially as most of them out on the country roads.  

That's hilly for a 5 mile race.

PSC - of course 'virtual running' has a whole new meaning since the pandemic. 
    Good to hear Mr Bump is doing well, apart from the Covid.
    Good luck with the 10k! 
    We keep expecting the forum to be discontinued, I think we'd move to Fetch if that happens, but it seems to rumble on for now.

Louey - it crossed my mind to DNF yesterday, but only briefly.   

I remember when Rcouture did Copenhagen, it had the best tracker I've ever seen, even with photos while the race was still going on.

Looks like forecast has cooled for London so hopefully should suit you better.

UltraCas - wonderful to hear from you, it's been years.   So good to hear you're still running marathons and ultras.    I'll be at Halstead, would be great to meet up.

Big G - have a great race today.

Reluctantly I've decided not to do a recovery run this morning.   Knee is a little sore although legs feel good, much better than after my last marathon.   Will write my race report instead.   
  • Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    Shades - I am so pleased to hear you’ll be at Halstead too. I’d love to catch up with you.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Didn't get time to read properly yesterday as I had a lot to do.
    Cal-Sorrry to hear the race didn't go great.I've never passed out after but a couple of times I've had to sit down as it feels I'm about to,think it's the blood rushing back around the body after you stop.
    Shades-What are you going to do with the knee for the next few weeks as you have a lot of races?
    I also thought Manc would have been a lot better,obviously gone for the cheaper option as its the same tracking company.
    Louey-Thats a good 12 with a week to go,how are you feeling about next week?
    I've done seville also and really enjoyed it despite having tummy problems.
    Rechecked my numbers and it was 373ft yesterday,still a lot for me,especially as most was in the first 2 miles.When I decide to do DD again some of these courses will be ideal,we have hills here but they stop after about 400-600m whereas these are a couple of miles long at times.
    Weather not looking amazing for Big G,bit of a headwind for the race,but hope he has a really enjoyable run.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    UltraCas - brilliant we'll sort out a meet up nearer the time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - nothing I can do about the knee, it doesn't really respond to extended rest.   I still think it's a bit of loose cartilage combined with a little arthritis perhaps.   So likely to be a chronic problem I just have to deal with as part of getting older.  I'm walking normally and pain free today but there's a bit of stiffness if I bend the knee, hence my caution today.

Do you have a link for the Boston tracker?   What time do they start?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It is one you can only track through the Boston App,Kipchoge will be starting at 2.37 and Big G about 3.25.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Ian, I've downloaded the app and set up Big G and Kipchoge on the tracker.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

Newport Marathon 407

First time I’ve run this marathon so opted for the Park and Ride option, which turned out to be a good choice.   Just off the M4 at the ICC which has impressive facilities and the cleanest car park I’ve ever seen.   Many races will put runners on ancient school buses to take them to events but smart new double decker buses today.   Brief journey to Newport and a bit of entertainment watching runners wearing carbon plated shoes trying to descend the stairs on the bus.

Short walk to the race HQ, a little light rain but plenty of places to shelter.   I used the University building, comfortable chairs, coffee shop and even 30 minutes before the race no queue for the ladies toilet.

Baggage drop and changing area was close by in the underground car park.  There was a baggage search, not sure why, we had been told.  My bag was light so only a cursory check.    Plenty of space in the car park, good for a warm up run too as only a couple of cars left there by unsuspecting motorists not realising they wouldn’t be able to move their cars.

No wave starts, but not required, took me nearly 4 minutes to reach the start line but immediately we were well spaced out as the roads are wide.    Good atmosphere at the start and a fair amount of spectators.   Slight incline over the SDR Bridge but apart from that the route was flat and 100% traffic free.   We head out of Newport and after the first few miles turn off the main road onto narrower country roads and immediately we’re into the countryside.   This is my preferred sort of course, country roads and through a few villages on the way,   Weather was good, no wind, about 10 degrees which increased to about 13 degrees by the time I finished. 

My knee started to niggle at about the third mile, I was hoping I could run the first half at race pace and then ease up for the second half.   But it was getting progressively more painful, still manageable but starting to affect my pace and I was slowing.    At 7 miles we saw the first 5 runners coming through at a good pace, (winner did 2:19).   We then turned off to complete a 7 mile loop.   At about 9 miles there were a couple of small inclines, one over a bridge and the change in incline seem to suit my knee as I then ran mile 10 at my second fastest mile.   But it didn’t last and by halfway I was slowing a lot and knew I’d just have to do my best to get round.    There were pockets of spectators and good support in the villages particularly Magor where we did a lap of the village square with rowdy support.

This is one of the friendliest races I’ve ever done, supportive marshalls and other runners were really chatty and that helped the miles pass.   Plenty of water stations, water in 330ml bottles, my preferred size.   Sports drink and gels handed out too at some of the drink stations.  

At mile 20 I was overtaken by a man dressed as a post box.   There were only a few in fancy dress.   I had passed a guy dressed as a duck earlier who looked to be having a tough time, holding his duck head under his arm, which was quite a sad sight.

Soon we are back on the main road into Newport heading for the finish.   At 23 miles we have to do an out and back section through an industrial estate to turn around at the Transporter Bridge.   I had been warned about this section but I actually quite enjoyed it as it was an opportunity to see and support other runners, some of which I’d spoken to earlier on.   At 24 miles my knee suddenly stopped hurting but I was too tired at this point to really take advantage of it, but it made the last couple of miles a little more enjoyable.

I actually managed a bit of a sprint up the finish straight, bit disappointed with my time of 5:17:37 but overall a good day.   Nice medal (metal) and lovely t-shirt in the size I’d ordered and a good fit, so will be a keeper.

I thoroughly enjoyed this race, lovely route, total climb 304ft, according to my Garmin, definitely a fast PB course.   I see from the results that out of 1712 finishers there were 117 runners achieving a sub 3 time, which seems a fairly high percentage to me.

The organisation is flawless, the course could easily accommodate another 5,000 runners, definitely deserves a bigger field.   I’ll be going back next year.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done on the marathons yesterday, sounds like there were some struggles out there. 

I met up with my club mate for a couple of hours yesterday, here in Boston. He was hoping for about 2:55, training had gone well, until his injury so it’s hurting for him. They’re making the most of the city though, and then going down to New York tomorrow for a few days. 

It’s a long day here as up at 5:30 for the 10:30 race start. This is the bit I’ve been concerned about the most - just the logistics of race day, getting to start etc.  But looking forward to it. Weather isn’t amazing but could be worse. Wondering whether to go for a shirt or vest but I think I’m going with vest as although there’s a bit of wind and some light rain forecast, it’s not particularly cold.  Need to decide for sure before getting on the bus. 

I’m signing off now but I’m looking forward to the day ahead. Setting off at roughly 3:45-4hr pace as a target but it really does depend on the foot (as well as fitness!). Main goal is to get to the finish.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - enjoy, you'll have a great day.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Really nice report,I enjoyed the race when I did it and will definitely be back at some point,we got a green tshirt that doesn't look as good as yours.
    Big G-Probably won't see this but enjoy the race,weather is similar to mine except we had no rain,have a good day.
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    <adds Newport to the list>

Shades - that's a great race report and it says a lot about a race that even when you personally didn't have the best run, you want to go back. Now I'm wondering if I can run 2 marathons next Spring to fit it in, although I'm not sure what we are doing next Easter yet. Your knee must have been bad for you to not do a recovery run today. I'm always telling people (who think I'm crazy whenever I suggest such a thing after the marathon) that a very experienced runner told me about it and honestly, it really works. 

Ian - I'm in the weather checking phase...although at the moment it looks perfect. I've left it late to sort out my vest - managed to find someone near work today who is putting my name on it but it's too big and I really need it taken in as well (charity shirt - have to wear it and it's a really bizarre fit). I'm also wondering whether to get a new pair of trainers at the Expo and wear them (yes, I know). I've got the earlier version of the NB carbon plated trainers (Fuelcell RC Elite) which I picked up last year at an outlet village (a relative bargain at £140, and they are London Marathon ones). I've run marathons on those but there is a newer version out now (SC Elite) and I might treat myself for my birthday. But as they will be new, do I wear them on Sunday?? 

Good luck BigG - have also got you on the tracker! 

Oh and what has happened to the forum? I saw that there are hardly any recent posts. Where have they all gone??
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Louey - of course you can do 2 marathons in the Spring next year.   I don't think Newport have announced their date for 2024 yet.   This year they were taking entries on the day so no rush to enter yet.

It was just the stiffness in the knee joint that stopped me running today.   But the stiffness is easing, I had feared it might have got worse.   I have Connemara on Sunday which I want to enjoy.   I'll do a short run tomorrow and Thursday then not run until race day.   Normally I would run on the Friday but have a very early start as travelling over to Ireland that day. 

I'm so glad you're back on this thread as I'm about the only one doing recovery runs the day after the marathon.    They seem to like suffering the post race DOMS that can be avoided.    ;)

Re your race vest, hope you can get it altered otherwise it might annoy or chafe on race day. 

Re your shoes, read as many reviews as you can to see what changes, if any, there are in the latest version so you can judge if the changes could affect you.   Then a run this week in them with your race socks, then make the decision. 

I race in Asics Novablast and I  had run a couple of races in version 2.  Then bought version 3, did a  5 mile run in them and then ran a marathon and they were fine.   Slightly better than the version 2 in fact. 

I think the forum started to die off when a lot of folk started using FB.  Also when RW switched to the  current format it's not as user friendly on smartphones, so users not aware of what's happening on other threads.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Louey-As long as you pay your money I'm sure the charity can't make you wear the vest if it doesn't fit you properly.
    Just started watching Boston,I forgot that it's a big downhill for the first 10k,but there are still uphills there.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I've seen Kipchoge shouting and waving at the others a couple of times now,think he's not happy that he's leading and no one else is sharing the lead.
    Our fast master was right at the very front of the main first wave,got himself a good view on TV
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian  - it's a good tracker. Big G has made a good steady start. 

Not fair they leave it up to Kipchoge to lead.  Hope he ditches them all soon.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just the opposite,they've all ditched him.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I just saw that on the leader board. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if it will be the same as London 20 and he comes back or if he is on the downhill now.
    Big G-Safely through 10k
  • Options
    Cal I think you did superbly, to keep running for 26.2 miles is no mean feat, you should celebrate your achievement, theres not a huge amount to reflect on, you couldn't do anything about shingles and you've managed your niggles to make the start line which is a huge part of it all.

Good luck Big G! Hope you have a great run (looking positive from your start)

Shades great report and sorry to hear you had troubles with your knee, only positives it that it corrected itself by the end and hopefully nothing serious.  Good that you got the t shirt in the size you asked, see it happen too often people getting wrong sizes which is then a waste.  The industrial bit sounds a bit like the Brighton out and back, I quite enjoy the quiet stretches and also enjoy supporting other runners.  Not a race that has appealed to me in the past but now on the maybe list.

Ultracas I'm also at Halstead next month, doing my 40th marathon/ ultra.  I entered 2020 SDW and withdrew, I've done NDW50 and CW50, a DNS for WW50 last year, hope to do SDW50 next year.

Louy re vest, if it's going to ruin your experience I wouldn't worry too much, when i ran for charity I printed the charities name on my vest.  Re the shoes, as shades said, buy them early get out for a run or two and see how they feel.  

Waiting to see Kipchoge sprint past and make up a minute loss over 3 miles ;-)

First day back from hols and the day is dragging... is it 5pm yet?

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert  - first day back at work after hols is always depressing.   You'll be OK by tomorrow 😉

Big G is in the last mile, he's done well. 

Even my hero Kipchoge can't win them all. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Big G-With a fast last mile to end ot well.really well done mate.
    Our 2 fastest ended up 4 seconds apart and the 50 year old came 5th in gis age group.
    5 easy with OH tonight,her HR has dropped a lot in the last week or so,peaking at the right time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - great results from your team mates.

I hope you're peaking just right for London too.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Hard to say,I'm feeling fine but haven't ran too much since Tokyo so will see how it goes.
  • Options
    Big G awesome run, look forward to the report

shades really hope this isn’t the end for kipchoge and just another blip as in 2020, fancy shoes or not he is amazing and pushed some boundaries.

ian when you leaving for London? Hope you can get to the expo early.

5 miles this evening, legs still tired from Saturdays run, will have an easier week with Sundays event then tick over before Halstead. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well, what an event that is!  Not sure where to start really, so this may be a bit rambling and all over the place. There were just so many interactions and memorable things that happened throughout the day. 

I think, for me, the downside of the day is the logistics. With me starting at 10:25, but getting up at 5:30, 45mins into town, bag drop, 1hr bus to the start, the usual faff before a big race, the question of what to do about food, and when/where to eat it was a concern, but I just ate little and often, mainly on the bus there. Although there was a large amount of time between leaving the hotel (which had breakfast sorted early to cater for runners) and toeing the start line the time did go quickly but there is a lot of walking about before even getting to the start line. I’d estimate I probably walked about 2.5 miles before the start. But the organisation was flawless, and everyone so friendly. It’s just the point to point nature of the course that adds to the whole thing, with everything taking longer than you’d otherwise think.  

It was drizzly rain and actually quite cold in the start area, but I knew I’d be fine once I got going and I was happy in my vest. I was warm enough as I had some throw away clothes. The organisers were very strict about starting waves and I got into wave 2, corral 2 and was over the line in about a minute I think. I knew 100s of runners would go past me, but I had a rough pace plan, and I stuck to it. Basically, coast the downhills without pushing too much early on, get up the uphills as best as possible, and run the flat bits to feel. And that plan worked very well for me today. 

The course and support is simply amazing. I absolutely loved it. The route goes through mainly residential areas, and loads of people are out in their gardens, cheering people on, music playing, etc. There was quite a lot of ‘Boston Strong’ things going on, a nod to it being 10 years since the bombings here on marathon day, but I didn’t feel that people were apprehensive. I felt bystanders were delighted we were there, and honestly I felt proud and happy to be there. 

I got to half way in about 1hr50 and I was pleased with that. I was feeling ok, and the foot was behaving. At 10am I put some ibuprofen gel on it, and at 2hrs I took some pain killers and although not perfect, it was manageable. 

At half way I sometimes step it up if I feel I can, and although I felt I could, I decided to hold off doing so until I got over the famous Newton Hills. Before those though, the college girls were out and I could hear the noise about half a mile away. It was one of those moments I’ll never forget - a simply incredible atmosphere and probably I did step it up a bit going through there. 

At about 17 miles I saw OH who made it out there and it was great to see her. We had a quick chat, and then it was Newton Hills time. There are 4 hills, between 17 and 21, culminating in Heartbreak Hill. But they weren’t horrendous - we have worse in Devon, that’s for sure. I did slow and had my slowest mile up there (9:07), but I then knew the remaining 5 miles were essentially downhill and it did up the effort a bit here. Not quick really, but more of an effort certainly, and I was passing people here (there were still others passing me). 

Eventually I got to the 1 mile to go sign, we turn right and OH was amazingly right there and I waved, then we turn left onto Boylston Street and you can see the finish. I don’t mind saying I got emotional here, couldn’t believe I was going to finish. I’m not even American obviously, but it was just brilliant, and we passed the place of the bombings where there is a memorial, and then I crossed the line. I held it together and managed not to blub, but it was close I don’t mind saying. 102 marathons, but this one got to me. 

My time was 3:41:36 and I’m really pleased with that in the circumstances with the plantar fasciitis. Better than I had hoped for really, so I’m pleased with it, but it wasn’t about the time for me really today. I just wanted to enjoy it, hopefully get around fairly pain free, and I managed that. I was pleased with how I ran it, finished strong, and although I purposefully walked through a few aid stations (paper cups, you know now it is!), I feel I ran well and managed the foot well. Nowhere near a PB, but I’m totally fine with that. 

I went through and got my bag, and OH and I had decided to meet at the Common, which worked well. We’d heard the official meeting points are chaos, and our tube was right there back to the hotel. 

So many things to say really, but that will have to do for now. Onwards and hopefully upwards.