Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Funny you say that as I find the treadmill harder inside,even with the fan on and window open the sweat drips off me.
    Shades-Do you have a plan to buod back up or just taking it day by day.
    Rob-We are off today,I'm having 2 days off over Xmas and 3 over New Year.
    9.5 hilly miles today,starting to feel easy now sonim really motivated to have a good 6 weeks of training before Seville,no ome really knows what to get me these days so a few bits but plenty of money,so going to try and get the new AlphaFly when they are out next week and use them for 4 villages and Seville.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - that's good about Tigg.   Not age related arthritis then.

You should be able to pick up some bargain mince pies now to keep you fuelled on the bike. 😋  I'm going to Aldi in the morning, I'll check out the price for you.

Ian - I can't plan my training right now as I have to just see how I am day by day.   For no apparent reason it's sore today, really annoying as I'm restless, but limited to what I can do.

That's the best option re presents for you.   Givers don't have to go through all the angst of trying to find a suitable present and you get to buy what you want. 

Nice you've got some time off over the festive season. 

Good news on your training. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Any xmas they have left over will be half price tomorrow,mince pies should be 54p
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Ian, I'm not fond of mince pies but Big G might want to stock up.  😂
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the mince pie advice :) 

Ian, yeah, I get very hot on the bike on Zwift too. That is one downside!
  • Options
    Yeah it can get a wee bit warm indoor zwifting even without massive amounts of effort being put in. Or maybe thats cos i have barely finished with a week long cough/cold thing. I put that down to a wee test of alpe d zwift other evening where i went up a bit but then being i was coughing up a lung u turned back down again. Not like i was climbing it fast anyway. Probably looking at something between 90-120 mins for me. Hopefully a wee bit slower cos of illness but then i dont have a overly fast cadence normally sitting in the mid 50's.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - I take it you're not doing the 500km challenge, this time ?

My sciatica was really sore yesterday during the day, but during the night it was better than usual.   No running this morning, might try for tomorrow morning.

Gale force winds and rain here, I guess the edge of Storm Gerrit.   
  • Options
    Hell no next to impossible being i am pretty much always away over Xmas itself and often working too. Next 3 days are work days so not enough spare time to do that. That and also never really done any longer cycling other than once some years ago to Silloth and back whilst car was being serviced. That was on a windy day with wind behind going there thus died coming back into the wind.
    I'll hit something over a hours length weekend probably albeit tonights one is not much under again. Just knocking off the easier routes for now. Did spend some drops last night so have a better bike/wheel set up now so will see what difference that makes soonish.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - maybe next year then as you're likely to be much more Zwift fit by then.   ;)

Big G - I was in Aldi at opening time, didn't see half price mince pies, maybe at Kerswell store?   Some Xmas puddings reduced and other stuff, I did buy a reduced stollen.   I'd forgotten to buy a stollen before Christmas, so was pleased with that.

I was at Tesco earlier and no mince pies, I expect their Xmas stuff was snapped up yesterday.  They did have some chocolates etc reduced.

Scarily windy in places, had to hang onto the car door with 2 hands to stop it being blown back.   :fearful:
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, one tip is you’ve any inclination of trying to get the Tron bike, make sure you’ve chosen the elevation challenge. That way any inclines you do count towards getting the bike. Many Zwifters haven’t done that and spend the first x weeks unaware they’re not working towards the bike. 

Shades, thanks. I’ll have a look. I could do with a stollen as well. 

Planning a long ride on Zwift today. Miserable rather and OH at work so may as well. I’m riding as I type this, and also have cyclocross on in the background. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - and it will be a short walk with Tigg for you today as he won't like this weather.  ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did just under 5hrs on Zwift todag and I’m tired now!  I’ve probably got about another 2.5hrs to go to finish the challenge, and I’ve so far done just under 12hrs. 
  • Options
    BG - I assume you can only have one challenge running at a time? I had seen the challenge but not actually switched it over yet mostly cos i was actually looking for the tour of italy i unlocked other day which is a challenge too.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-5 hours is impressive.
    Managed to dodge the worst of the storm,wind was around 19mph and gusting at times.I usually start with 70ft downhill for the 1st km,then same uphill,usually about 40s/m difference,today I was faster uphill as I had the wind behind me 🤣 
    7 done and felt strong.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Keith, I guess you can switch between the challenges but only one at a time is valid. 

Ian, I caught up on cyclocross and also watched Pulp Fiction, which I haven’t seen for years. That made the time go pretty quickly, and I’m not feeling too bad now. 

Went into town and picked up some stollen bites and also some baklava. Sadly no mince pies or stollen loaf left - probably just as well!
  • Options
    I'll need to move or alter the set up to do that sort of length with tv viewing to pass the time. I'd also grind to a halt no doubt more than once as if you do not pay attention to the zwift screen you might get a nasty hill pop up on you ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - 5 hours is impressive, are you sore after that amount of time on the bike?   

That challenge is looking a bit soft for you 1000km next year perhaps  ;)

Ian - good running.

I'm planning my next run tomorrow morning.   Sciatica was sore for the last two days, not helped by going up and down stairs when I was out shopping in the sales yesterday afternoon.   But it wasn't to bad during the night so hopefully will settle down today.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Legs were pretty wobbly after it!  But I perked up after a coffee and a walk into town, and I’m hoping an easy hour or so this morning will do them some good as well. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's not so bad then and you're close to finishing the challenge now.
  • Options
    Back from Manchester and out for 4 miles today. I had a mind to do 6 miles as the cold is more or less gone and the shingles is drying out. However, while lungs are fine, legs are not so much. My calves were burning for the last couple of miles. I guess my body was too busy fighting viruses to repair the muscular damage done by a couple of hilly parkruns (especially as my diet was more fat and sugar than protein over Christmas). I'm also fat. Two weeks with not much exercise plus a lot of food has resulted in me shooting up to around 10 stone 12 which is not good.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you'll soon deal with any unwanted weight when you're feeling 100 % again and back into full training. 
  • Options
    I hope so! I hate the feeling of my thighs rubbing together. Ugh.
  • Options
    Shades nothing till March or April at the earliest.

Ian glad you got some time off, won’t need a shop till Friday, it’s a shame the supermarkets can’t get together and all close for 2 days! 

Cal hopefully back in the swing of things and can lose the extra bit.  Do you use any anti chaffing cream? 

Big G shame no mince pies, they must be out there somewhere!!! 

Ian well planned having the wind behind on the uphills.  Beachyhead this year was wind assisted in the final few miles.

Quiet day at work yesterday and off till Tuesday.  Out for a short run this afternoon.  Bit concerned over recent purchases bought a non running watch and non running trainers! 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, what!  Non running trainers??!  Whatever next! ;) 

Cal, you’ll soon get back into the swing of things. 

Shades, not that I’ve finished it yet, but I think the 500km has been a bit easier than I was expecting. Again,  it’d definitely be much more difficult outside and I’ve no intention of doing that. I’d need a new bike for starters! Maybe 500M would be more challenging. Regardless I’m glad I’ve attempted it. 

Legs have been tired today mind you. When I woke I was thinking 60mins in the morning, which I did, and then I was thinking of finishing it off around 4pm. But didn’t fancy that so hopefully I’ll finish it off tomorrow.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - Thanks, I wasn't sure if you were planning to do your marathon on the 1st Jan again.

If it's any consolation, I've not been buying running stuff in the sales either, which I put down to not being able to run now.    I have once checked the price of the NB1080's and Novablasts and they've come down so I'm not rushing right now to buy.   I expect I'll be putting in a running kit order fairly soon though.

However, non running watch, that's not in my vocabulary, perhaps a Rolex ?  :lol:    I do have one pair of non running trainers as sometimes I don't want scruffy old running shoes to wear out.

Big G - you'll finish the challenge today, I'm sure.

Had a better day yesterday sciatica wise, and an OK night but I've decided to leave it a day or so before I run again.   Trying to avoid any setbacks.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Finished the Rapha 500 today. 

I rode Xmas eve to today, and did roughly 3hr45, 1hr, 2.5hrs, 4hr45, 1hr, 1hr35 for a total 14.5hrs. Basically all in Z2, a mixture of official Rapha group rides, robopacer rides and free rides. That’s by far the most I’ve done in 6 days, and although I was tired after the 4hr45 (which was a single ride), in general I found it easier than I thought I would when I started the challenge. It’s a good challenge for me though and I know it’s far easier on Zwift than IRL, but I’m glad I’ve done it. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Well done.
    I ran 5 last night then just had time for a quick treadmill today,I accidently did an interval run,didn't realise until the trainer said he was about to increase,so did about 5x1 minute in the run,so an easy start but may do some more.
  • Options
    Rob, I run in tights so it's not an issue, but I have had chub rub while wearing shorts (even the longer cycle-type ones I favour, as they tend to ride up a bit) so I try to remember to grease myself up like a Channel swimmer.
    Still, not going to worry about it until the 1st. Picked up some £1 gluten free mince pies. Couldn't say no.  :D
    Big G, well done, it might be easier on Zwift but that doesn't make it easy. Great commitment there.
    Ian, well done.
    Shades, I have some non-running trainers although they are the same as the ones I once ran marathons in, Nike Frees. They're slip on and dead comfy. Just not cushioned enough for 26 miles on a road, as I quickly discovered.
    5 miles today. Calves not burning which is good. I'll do a parkrun tomorrow but I'm volunteering at juniors on Sunday so that'll be it for the year. Should finish on 1311 miles unless I do another mile warm-up before the parkrun.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done, that challenge will have burnt off a fair amount of those mince pies too  ;)

Ian - nothing wrong with a bit of accidental speed work.  :)

Cal - good, you could find some bargain mince pies.   Not easy when you eat gluten free.

My non running trainers are the only Nike shoes I have, they say 'running' on them but they're the cheaper street shoes really (£40ish).   They're comfy and I do sometimes wear them for the gym.

My sciatica has improved a lot over the last couple of days, whether that's because I haven't been out walking, I don't know.   But I'm holding off running for a day or so hoping that there will be further improvements so I can at least try another run on Monday.   I'm am going out for a walk this morning.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Hooe you can get out on Monday.
    I just did 7 before work, felt sluggish but I often do in the morning,hopefully get over 50 this week if everything goes to plan.