Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - I had to accept cookies this morning but only once.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-There has been tons with UTMB,they seem to be picking off all the races they want as they are now so big.Most races have signed a 3 year deal with them so guess we'll see what happens in a few years.
    Shades-That looks a nice race in Moray,hope it does well this year so continues.
    Re GFA,super shoes have been around for quite a few years now so can't be held too responsible,as times get lower then people have to work harder so the times get lower again.
    I've planned a few shorter races in over the next couple of months to try and get some speed,then hopefully build for September,just read it's the last day of GFA qualifying for 2025 so no pressure.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian -  Brasher didn't mention that it's harder to get a ballot or club place now so naturally that encourages more to try for GFA times.

Moray does look nice, bit of a shame it's where it is in the race calendar, wonder if that might change. 

I thought that was why you chose HCA as it was close to closing date 😉.   Could have done with Moray being mid/late September really as a UK race within GFA date range. 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I knew it was close to the end,I pretty much need a PB to have any chance of a GFA now
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I'm sure you're up for the challenge and will give it your best shot.

I see weather forecast has cooled for London, looks like it will be a bit chilly with all that hanging around at the start, although some runners will prefer the cooler conditions.

My friend sent me a text last night as she'd just picked up her number for Blackpool marathon.   Going to be cool there too but amazingly (for Blackpool) only 3 mph winds.

Nice and mild here this morning, good running weather for me but I've had a very restless night with my back and to top that I have the beginnings of a sore throat too.   RHR up 8bpm.   Hope I'm not getting a cold.   So not going to risk a run this morning.   :#

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Shades I am back in took ages as the cookies was on a loop on both phone and laptop.I switched browser as last resort and I am in on laptop!

Shame no run this morning but wise to be cautious.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - I've sometimes had a problem getting rid of cookie acceptance when on phone.    Good you've now sorted it out.

Looking forward to Newport?
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I am I had a good block of training apart from the virus but pulled it all back.It has been hard with long run as last time was 2017 so a good while ago.Still not comfortable and my body aches  and stiff afterwards but managed 3 @ 12+ milers,around 4@10 milers.I am hopeful I have done enough to get around comfortably and enjoy the day. I can not believe how quick the time has gone!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I had the cookies box pop up once, but it went and didn’t come back. 

It’s becoming such a regular occurrence that I forget to mention it, but Dad is back in hospital. Went in early hours of Wednesday AM, sat in an ambulance, and then sent to a ward late that day. Went to see him yesterday and he’s on IV antibiotics to clear another infection (others now don’t work on him, I was told yesterday), but doctor came up to me and “I need to apologise as we administered too much” (there’s more to it than that, as actually that was the second doctor. The first doctor gave a subtlety different story, but the second doctor specially said they’d accidentally administered too much and apologised, said they’d learn from it, etc). Trouble is this one has toxins that can be an issue for hearing and kidneys apparently, so hopefully all okay. He was all over the place yesterday, very drowsy.

I’m seeing a private physio on Monday, but decided to additionally go down the NHS route. Saw a nurse today, who has referred me to a physio. I asked ‘can I skip the physio?’ and was told ‘no’. So it’ll be a few weeks of physio, and then referred to podiatry, which last time took several weeks to get an appointment (3 months I think, from memory). But I felt like I should be in their system as well just in case, and in the meantime I’ll see what the private chap says.  He was a nice nurse, a runner, had had PF himself.  He know I am doing everything myself and he didn’t suggest anything new to me, but the process is a referral via physio, and although he knew it was frustrating, he couldn’t bypass that. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - you should be fighting fit in time for Newport then, take it easy with the training now as the work is all done.   :)

Big G - sorry to hear your Dad is poorly again, it's that time of year too for chest infections etc.    Hope there's no lasting effects from the 'overdose', at least they were upfront about it.

No harm in getting yourself on the NHS waiting list for the physio and podiatrist.   I expect the wait would be a lot longer if you had to include the GP into the mix.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Last time I used the NHS I got seen by a physio the same week,it was super efficient,but I didn't want to use it for this when I knew I'd be taking someone else's space for no reason.
    Shades-That's lucky re Blackpool,unheard of for so little wind.
    Back out today,I've felt fine the last few days but wanted a few days off,did my usual 7 and it felt good,probably the best I've felt 5 days after a marathon.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I think I’l get a physio appointment fairly quickly, ie, in a couple of weeks or so. But physio will get me doing exercises I’m already doing for a few weeks, and then refer me to podiatry, which last time took quite some time to get an appointment. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's it back into training now for you, cracks whip 😉

Next race?  At the track next week?

I'm hoping my friend has a good run at Blackpool, she's been training well lately despite having a lot of stress over the last couple of years caring for her elderly parents.  Then her father died last month, although it wasn't unexpected it's still a traumatic time .
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Next race is probably Chester Half in May,but we haven't signed up yet,then our local 10k in June.Either next week or week after I'll be at track,OH has said she wants to come and see what it's like as she's considering joining,she's done even less speed than me so should give her a nice boost.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - your OH will probably enjoy the track sessions and she'll be an asset to the club ranks too.

I see London marathon ballot for 2025 opens today.   £69.99.

I have a mild cold, not bad, but RHR still up 10 bpm.   A bit hot/cold during the night which led to a restless and uncomfortable night for my back.   No run or gym today.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Timekeeper today at parkrun. Went well with no issues, and it was great conditions for running, although back to the field today. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I think she'll enjoy having other females to run with also,it will also encourage me to keep going.
    7 after work,nothing to report except it felt really warm when the sun came out,long may it continue.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - even I used to go to the odd track session, which I enjoyed.   But it was a Friday evening and a 40 mile round trip so not really that convenient or ideal especially if I had a marathon at the weekend.

I should be arriving in Galway now for Connemara marathon tomorrow, will have to wait another year.   Typically they are forecast lovely weather for tomorrow.   Next year it'll probably be wet/windy/snow/hail.  ;)

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I wouldn't travel that far for track.That looks amazing weather.
    Just booked us a few days away in June to Geneva for OH birthday,never been there but she did as a kid and talks about going back.Will book us a day trip to Chamonix also,luckily it's before our real training starts 😁
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey all...I keep forgetting to post. I took a week off with the cold but managed a run/walk parkrun last weekend with Tunde (Ashford, Kent), a couple of short run/walks in the week and then another parkrun (Great Salterns near Portsmouth) with Paulette. My hip is still cranky but it seems to me more a groin thing than the gluteal tendinopathy (which is there, but more of a minor nuisance). There's an older lady who goes to my gym and is a masseur and I had a good chat with her and asked if I was hypermobile (which, technically I am, even though I am not a bendy Wendy and have never managed to do the splits, ever) and she said it was likely the reason I've always struggled with tendon injuries. She said she's going to look at what might be behind the groin issue on the left, but thinks it's likely psoas or sartorius. 
    I really want to fix it so I can start training for Amsterdam as I have absolutely no base left to build on any more. Anyway..

Sorry about the foot, Big G. 

Good luck Shades and everyone else running tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's the nearest track to me unfortunately.

I did look at Geneva marathon, still on my wish list.   I've never been but have heard a lovely place to visit.

Cal - I'm not running tomorrow, I'm still injured and gradually building up weekly mileage.   Well I was but I have a cold now.   

Hope that lady can help you with your troublesome hip/groin.

Still have this cold, it's mild but RHR still up 10 bpm.   So no run today.   Will watch London on telly this morning.   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I’m with you on the no base thing. I think Shades was feeling similar a number of weeks ago. Clear these injuries and I hope we can do it!

London app loaded with 50 runners this year, I think the most people I’ve personally ever known doing a marathon!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - 50 runners to track, that'll keep you busy this morning. 😉 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Great running from the British men.

Tough day for Marc Scott but it was a big ask on his debut marathon. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed both races a lot. 

I think my V60 clubmate is going to miss out on his first sub 3 again. His predicted time has progressively slipped under 3hrs the last 2 timing mats, and he’s got 7 miles to go. He did say this would be his last attempt if he didn’t get it. He’s so dedicated and motivated but it doesn’t ever quite come together. I did see that whatever wave he started in he started quite a way back compared to slower runners who started quite a lot earlier than him other from  waves, so don’t know if crowds are an issue as well. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - that's a shame for your v60 clubmate.    Can't rule out that there might be congestion running London.  Perhaps he'll choose a better race for getting that target time and give it one more shot. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I did ask him one time if he had considered a different race for this spring, but he said no. He had a relatively bad run at Chester, and then went to Valencia for another crack, but wasn’t much quicker there.  He did Rome as a training run and said he felt really good finishing in around 3hrs12, but it doesn’t appear to be happening today, but of course I don’t yet know what the full story from today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well I hope he gives it another go, but 3:12 is a long way off sub 3.   But as you say you don't know yet what went wrong, or what didn't go right, today. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I know the first 5K is quick in London but he was on 2hr55 pace initially, went through half way in 1:29:54 and then finished in 3:06:28.  That’s a great time obviously but presuming no injury etc, he’ll be unhappy with it. Gutted for him as he’s a great guy, but similar has happened a few times. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - that's still a great run, but if that's a fairly typical race split for him then he needs to get to halfway a few minutes faster.