Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The 2 brits at the front done amazing,and so was the womans race.I worked today so just watched it.
    Most of my clubmates done really well,just 1 guy had a shocker.
    Big G-Must be tough to keep going back and missing the target,I don't know how many times I'd attempt if I kept missing.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it really was outstanding runs by both Cairess and Mahamed.  
    Cairess said if conditions had been better he would have done sub 2:06.

Nice and easy for the selectors at their meeting tomorrow. 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it’s not my place to say at all, but I do think he needs to change something. His half time puts him in the running for a sub 3, but he concentrates on tempos and doesn’t do that much mileage. Not that I would say that to him. 

A club mate - 3:10ish a few years ago I think, done DD loads of times - has very recently been diagnosed with Parkinson’s. Obviously a massive shock to him but he’s done it for charity today in just under 6hrs. Trotters Facebook page very pleased for him. I know a few weeks ago he was having a big wobble about it, but he’s done it!  Highlight of the day for me. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Think what's really exciting is Sesseman is 31,and Cairess and Mahamad are both only 26.You'd imagine a lot of improvement in them yet.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - if he asks your opinion then you can give it, but it's up to him.   Many runners are reluctant to change/admit that what worked for them in the past isn't working now.   

I was following a couple of Trotters and searched by club name so I think I know who you mean doing the sub6, SM.   I didn't know he'd been diagnosed with Parkinsons, nice chap.  Well done to him taking on the marathon so soon after diagnosis. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good luck this morning with your new physio's appointment, hope he's able to help you.

Rest day for me today, cold getting better and RHR only +5bpm above normal so should be OK to run tomorrow.

My friend had a good run at Blackpool Marathon yesterday, she said the sea was like a mill pond, which must be a rare occasion.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shakespeare Half for me, I had the lurgy the whole week, running nose, cough etc. It was better by Sunday but not completely gone, but I knew I was in decent shape, so goals were A) PB 1:23:30 B) Sub 1:25 C) Sub 1:30. Also wasn't sure if the course was a PB course!

However weather was good 6/7c at start and set out on time at 9am and settled into a good pace running between 6:20-6:30 pace, through 10k in around 39:50ish. Got to the main hill on the course at 8 miles (6:44 for that one) which was also when the wind picked up a bit, but the downhill is free speed (6:11), through 10 miles in just under 1:04, so knew I was on for a sub 1:25 at this point. However on joining the greenway, forgot how it's not the best surface to run on! The gravel/rocks meant my feet seems to slip a bit and this is where I lost some time with the final 3 miles being 6:39/36/40, bit of a sprint finish to grab a 1:24:06. 29th place out of 1,746 runners in the half! Overall happy with that especially as on Monday I didn't think I'd even race. Bit gutted not to be 1:23:xx though, but my 5th time running under 1:25, so I'll take that.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Appointment went okay. End result was shockwave therapy, which is what I was expecting/hoping for. Interestingly he said the other ankle is quite a lot weaker than the side with the PF, which could be partly what is causing it, in terms of a different gait. He also said there was calcium build up in the fascia itself (he ruled out heel spur), which will be absorbed by the body over the course of treatment, but that isn’t helping the pain currently. He’s given me some specific, simple, balance exercises, with the aim of evening up the strength across both legs/ankles. He’s also told me to lay off the fairly heavy massage for now, stop the rolling with the ice bottle, and if anything use warm water for a few weeks, to give the foot a break from all that - he said if all that would have worked, the pain would have gone by now. 

I didn’t ask, but he said if one day it feels okay, go for a run, and don’t worry if it’s sore the next day. That doesn’t necessarily help or hinder the treatment.  Nothing too long, up to about an hour or so. Doing nothing doesn’t help. If it’s sore before the run, don’t run. 

He briefly mentioned orthotics but again didn’t overly recommend them, which is interesting that two have said that independently. He said after the treatment has done its thing he can have a look then, to see for sure, so it’s not a definite ‘no’, more like they’re not the answer to get rid of it quickly. He wants to see a range of new and worn out shoes/boots that I wear, which I’ll take in next time. I’ve booked the next 3 weeks for the shockwave. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X-post Steve, but that’s a great run. That last 3 miles on gravel would have slowed you down, and that’s a great finish position from a large field like that. Well done!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    PS, I did mention about Riga in May as he specifically asked if I had any events coming up.  As it’s only a few weeks away he rolled his eyes, and said “let’s see how the treatment goes”.  I will actually take his advice. I think it’ll be a ‘no’ anyway as even I think it’s probably too much!  But if he says a ‘yes’, even if it’s a cautious yes, I’ll consider it. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve  - well done that's a great run and a very good time.   Top 30 placing out of a big field, brilliant. 

I hate that bloody Greenway.   😉  Although it's flat, if it's dry the surface is dry and dusty and the fine gravel isn't the easiest to run on.

Sets you up nicely for Windermere. 

Big G  - that sounds like you had a very thorough assessment and plenty of advice going forward. 

At least you can take a break from that massage and the iced bottle etc.

That's reassuring too that you're not making it worse when you do run.

You must like/trust him, usually you omit to mention upcoming marathons 😉
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Well done,impressive pacing as always.
    Big G-Will you still go to Riga if you can't race?
    7 before work this morning,hopefully get 5 runs in this week to keep ticking over.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yes, I’ll still be going to Riga regardless. I’m going with a non-running mate and I’m looking forward to the trip anyway. Believe it or not, I had Luxembourg night marathon pencilled in 2 weeks after as we’ve friends nearby, but I’ve said a definite no to that one, and I cancelled the hotel a few weeks ago (I hadn’t entered the event, and we were going to drive/train, so no money lost). 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Hope the treatment goes well.
    Ian - Seems like you have recovered well from Manchester.
    Shades - Yes, realised that while running! It may be flat, but not the best surface to run on! Some fast times overall though 1:11 for the HM winner and 2:25 for the marathon!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that's good times for Shakespeare winners.   For the marathon there's an even longer stretch of the Greenway on the 2nd lap before joining the half course.

Back running today  :):):)  I was hoping for fresh bouncy legs after a few days off, sadly I was wrong, but I still had a decent run.   Nice morning, 5+ miles.

Back to the gym today too.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Good you had a good run!
    Easy 6 miles recovery today (9:25 average), quads sore to start, but seemed to ease off after 4 miles which was good. Shakespeare isn't that hilly but the downhill section around 7/8 miles is a steep downhill stretch!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that downhill is at roughly 18 miles on the 2nd lap .  

Even better news from the gym today, can't get a full print out from the body analyser but I  was able to get some stats on my progress..

2kg of fat lost
    1.1kg of muscle gained

Fat % has has dropped 3.1% to 26.4%.   I'm very pleased with that as when I started my body fat % was too high at  29.5% and top end of normal for me should be 28%.

That's faster progress than I expected.  :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-A good day then,managed a run and good news at the gym.
    Run today felt harder than yesterday but when I checked the HR was only 1 higher,and total run time was only 2 seconds different to yesterday.
    Track looks a little hard to get to the next 2 weeks with ny rota so might do my own session in the park tomorrow.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 23
    shades, that’s great progress!

I watched a couple of YouTube videos of London and the course looked really busy. One did under 2hr45 and it looked rammed until about 20 miles. Another just under 3hrs and he commented on it whilst filming. A clubmate of mine who could do it every year as a qualifier if she wanted mentioned she probably won’t do it again as it was too crowded for her to enjoy.  

I’m going to head over to the club tomorrow for food, and to catch up on all the stories from the race. 

A Torbay Trier who was hoping for 2:45 had a very bad race and finished in around 3:18. There’s footage of him taking lucozade from boxer Anthony Joshua. The club runner said something like ‘I’m mentally broken’ and the boxer gave him a pep talk before sending him on his way. The clip has made its way onto the local ‘spotted’ pages as he was tagged as wearing a local vest. Not sure how I’d feel about that if that was me - don’t think I’d be particularly amused!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - funny how the HR stats can dispute the effort felt.

Big G  - The crowded course at London just adds another element of tiredness to the day.   It's mentally tiring having to be alert for other runners plus the amount of discarded bottles etc.   I wouldn't advise anyone to run London if attempting a PB.

I haven't seen that re the Torbay Trier, could have been worse and the BBC picked it up and immortalised the clip.  

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Last week, because of my cold, I missed one legs/glutes session at the gym.   Did a session yesterday and this morning my legs and glutes were really feeling it, although I didn't do a particularly tough session yesterday.   

5+ miles done with sore legs and glutes feeling like I'd been kicked by a donkey.   Chilly morning.

Gym later, upper body
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I saw this from Jonathan Walton the other day. He’s the guy a few years ago who I posted an interview, who was basically doing all low HR training at that time. Interesting to read something so simple in the age of gels, carbs, double threshold runs, etc. 

London Marathon 2.32.47 managed to win M50 cat, age 54. Didn’t have a great build up so really pleased with the time and something to build on for an attempt at sub 2.30 at 55. Just ran by feel and didn’t look at watch at all. Had a coffee and some porridge 4 hrs before start and 500ml of water. No fuel or water during. Training was 1 hr power walk per day. Easy runs around 8 min mile about an hour. Long runs around 6.30 min mile which is a moderate effort compared to MP. I didn’t do any speed work, tempo runs or MP stuff in training. Basically just concentrated on aerobic engine building and fat burning doing 2 long runs per week and recover/adapt in between. I do all my running based on feel and not really bothered about hitting specific paces or sticking to any plan. Looking forward to the next one. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Walton is an exceptional runner,he's the 1 my clubmate is often in a tussle with as they are both super fast v50's.He was injured in the lead up to London but still pulled out a sub 2:40.
    8 around the park today,weather was amazing for running,about 10° and not a cloud in the sky, popped in to the cafe after for sausage toastie breakfast.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - if only we were all as relaxed as Walton.   That's having belief and confidence in one's training knowing that the strong base will achieve results.    Saves a fortune too on tech and overpriced sugar (gels etc).

How are you getting on with your balance exercises?

Ian - nice run and tasty refuelling. 😋 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Talking of low tech,I seen that Cairess didn't wear a GPS watch for London,suppose it's easier when you start at the front but that is confidence in your ability.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, well, if he wasn’t wearing a watch, it’s not on strava so it doesn’t count…. ;) 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’m doing okay with them. They’re just straight forward ones and I think he’ll probably ask me to start using a band at some stage as well. I was kind of doing some anyway as part of other routines, but he’s told me to focus on them. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Cairess definitely had confidence in his ability, as did Mahamed.   Of course at the front I think there's a clock/timer on each mile marker isn't there?

Big G  - lol at Strava. 

Good you're doing well with the balance stuff. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'm pretty sure there are only a few clocks dotted around now,can't remember seeing too many.