Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    edited May 4
    Dave, great work on your 10 mile hilly run.
    TS : Glad to hear the Moderna shot reaction is wearing off. I've only had Pfizer (6x). Nil reactions so far. But I gather Moderna is a stronger dose.
    WP: Hope you do manage to secure a Cardiff slot. Sounds like the best option.

Incremental 10 sec improvement in parkrun time today: 24:43, AG 78.02% (4th/309 by AG, though mainly because a number of better runners were away at the Rotorua marathon). Again 1/21 M60+. Fortunately four M75-79 so I avoided the "second to last" stigma this time 😁. Brother still here (heads home Monday). Two minute improvement but unfortunately for him 7/7 M65-69 this time, so less ribbing on placings this morning 😉. 

Afternoon spent on the continued saga of disassembling trees so lots of tree climbing, ladder and chainsaw work. Same again tomorrow - full day so will miss out on my Sunday LSR ☹️. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Another fine AG result, NZD.  

Nice rainy run, WP

Hope knee allows a run this weekend, TS . . . .  

2.5 mile jog today here.  Sweating over the footy now  . . . .   

Wordle in four.

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, NZD
    And well done, Wednesday: there was never any doubt, Birch! Meanwhile The Foxes were in relegation form. 

As I think I mentioned, Ron Hill was one of the first two inductees into the University Sport Hall of Fame yesterday, with a short video explaining his achievements. Photo below of three of the friends I sat with: John Whetton (two Olympic Games, three European indoor titles in a row, and European Champion over 1500 metres in Athens the day before Ron won the Marathon, so not bad for two ex uni runners and training partners!).
    In the middle, Norine Braithwaite, as was (a couple of Commonwelath 1500 metres finals) then Peter Hughes. I wonder if TS in particular remembers him; he was the top rugby union referee of his day, refereeing in 23 countries whilst holding down a full time job as a dentist in amateur days. In his early days as a ref or linesman he  wore a blazer to officiate...and had to pay for his own dry cleaning after matches!

I last saw John 4 years ago although we communicate by email; he has deteriorated significantly in that time and has been diagnosed with dementia, and seems to have shrunk a couple of inches in height! Gave a very short speech to the 150 or so from a range of sports (I note, sports team of the year was Darts!): 
    "We had nothing like this in my day. Nothing. No celebration of success. Bugger all. And if anyone achieves more than me at their sport, let me know and I will celebrate with you. Good luck!"
    A good evening!

I came out of the dinner to this atmospheric damp scene: A Summer Evening in Manchester. Shades of Valette or Lowry, perhaps. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    NZD It is the best option so will wait and see and plan training block for Cardiff and hope;-)

Well done on parkrun.Best of luck with trees!!

Dave:Nice jogging this morning.

Ale: Nice photo's and to chat to friends and catch up.Lovely weather outside.

I planned a LSR but anything from 8 miles but by mile one I needed my mini clif bar which I dropped in the mud.I continued for half a mile more but felt ill so came back a smidge under three miles.I have been to bed for 2 hours and still not right.

Ah well that means no 5k race on BH Monday and the  County show 4.7 mile race  maybe be off the following Sunday-the place cards from veg show as race numbers fame;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hope you're feeling better, WP.

Enjoyed the anecdotes alehouse, and what a great photo of the street scene!   

Couple of days without a run (gardening yesteday). Back to it this morning with a 10.25 mile trot. Felt quite warm by the end - had to push up my long sleeves!   

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 7
    Unusually quiet the last few days! Particularly unusual not to see TS, so hope all is well.

And unusually warm here Sunday,  Monday and today, with no rain to save my cricket team. Managed to watch a few sessions,  largely in the sun.

Sitting waiting to see consultant re progress and the way forward.  Suspect that it won't include a ten plus mile trot, Birch...

And you were right about the swimming, TS: more time spent changing etc and dropping a sock on the wet floor than actually in the pool. Leg wasn't that comfortable. Didn't do much so will take advice!

Wordle in three today after a couple of fours.

Edit: picked up the local magazine...with an advert for Christmas parties!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Consultant reasonably happy; MRI scan in another 3-4 weeks. To up the exercises as left calf, in particular, is losing muscle. To try and aqua jog rather than swim. Downside is both hips are showing signs of some sort of issue; MRI scan will presumably reveal all!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    You've reminded me why I never go swimming, alehouse!  Aqua jogging sounds tough -
    but hopefully worthwhile in your case . . .  

Christmas ads  :#   

Pretty warm for the speed group today - 6 strong.  Warmup, 2x400m, 3x950m, 2x400m, warmdown.  4.5 miles total.  
    Much better than last week for me, which was slightly surprising after the double digit run yesterday. Only issue is I start so slowly as the legs creak into gear. I'm sure my pace for the 950s is the same as for the 400s!  

Wordle in four

Dave
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    ...still here - just did a lot of unexpected travelling over the weekend :/

alehouse
    soggy socks - not a good look :) but reasonably optimistic outlook from your consultant.

With you on the weight gain...

Dave
    lurch into action over 400m - you never get that time back whereas over the longer distance it doesn't matter as much.
    Nice session with hopefully some sun on your back which always makes intervals feel much better

Nothing doing her as I let my knee settle down - apart from a double cut across the lawns as it was so long so that was a good couple of miles!!

Wordle in five today - blind spot after two when there was only one word that would fit !!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 8
    Decent sounding session,  Birch!

Just one soggy sock, TS: an even worse look.

A fair amount of cross training in the garden,  today. Filled most of the large wheelie bin with weeds.

Wordle: a struggle.  Six. Simply couldn't think of the correct fit.

Stretches shortly. 
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I am feeling lots better and today ran the 8,5 miles I wanted a MLR Wednesday,PT yesterday,Monday 6.5 miles so picking it up nicely again.

Any one with HRV on watch mine has been strained for a month and today was first day I am not strained but in recovery mode!
    Wordle fail this morning!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    your watch is probably still showing the recovery needed from your build up and subsequent HM - I will be surprised if it doesn't put you back in the "strained" category  after that run, depending on the pace of it!

alehouse
    I hope you got the dry sock onto your dodgy legs' foot :)

Watch that gardening - all that stretching down!  

Didn't help my knee by driving 600 miles in two days - but needs must.

Nice to see an ex-Toon player winning it for RM last night- Joselu's renaissance has been remarkable - but maybe he has better players around him than before!

Re Wordle - I got stuck on Sioux for an age and couldn't see past it, trying every unused letter in the first and last positions until finally got a fit

No problem at all this morning - in three
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    TS :Thanks for explanation and no I am still in recovery mode.The MLR is always at an easy pace yesterday 12.55 average pace.My HRV is slowly climbing it really was the lowest I have ever seen it.

How is the knee after all that driving?

I had wordle fail this morning I just could not see word!

Easy recovery run 38 minutes at easy pace and felt right.I have DOMS after PT session and boy they kicked in late yesterday and today.Leg raises which felt like nothing much at the time boy the worse one for aches so far and we have done plank,sit ups etc.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    What i forgot to say was you just focus on race and forget about the build up towards it!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of driving, TS . . .  

Good week so far, WP!  

6.25 miles this morning (11am start) in warm sunshine.  Out and back to local reservoir on tarmac, 3.5 miles around the water on trail. Slow but pleasant.

No wordle yet.

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Wordle in five . . .
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in six...

Another warm day at work,  but only 30.5 today; must be the cooler side of the building. 

600 miles of driving is too much in this country,  TS! Actually I'm finding my hamstring is not happy after quarter of an hour. 
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    MIA this last week due to 'other things', viz continuing trees saga (ongoing!), bro (now back in Perth), MIL, g'kids, and work.  Pressure coming on the latter with another trip to Japan in about 5 weeks.  Won't attempt to go over back posts other than to commend alehouse for the interesting write up of the Sports Awards dinner & photos. Great one of the 'atmospheric damp' scene.

A basic, comfortable jaunt around the estuary this morning after 5 days off - 8.3km @ 6:15, HR 127/136 (hill). Ave HR a tad higher than I would have liked for that pace. 

Undecided about parkrun tomorrow.  Suspect likely a reversal of the recently improving times, given 5 days off this week.  But maybe what is needed to get me back on track?  Otherwise, mostly ongoing tree work/felling scheduled for the weekend.  Trick is getting them down without too much damage to surrounding shrubs and hedge ...  So some have to come down in bits, top down.
  • Options
    Dave
    beware - the weather changes next week :)
    Sounds a very pleasant run - always nice to run round a body of water when it's warm.

alehouse
    actually quite an easy drive as I missed any traffic congestion through cunning timing and motorway nearly all the way !
    But, yes, knee position for a long time sitting is not great, nearly needed a wheelchair when we stopped for a break - for both of us!!

Never came across your referee pal but that's not unusual as they tended to be fairly parochial outside of international games - I have a few memories (not good ones!) of homers that were encountered on my travels.

Remember John Whetton well - fine athlete

Excellent photo of the mean streets - you need to go back and take one in sunshine - be quick!!

NZD
    tree work is hard work particularly if using ladders to get to the high stuff.
    I thought I had clear enough durin ghte winter but now that foliage is at last coming out I have realised I didn't do enough!

Knee feels nearly rested.......

Wordle in four 

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Afternoon Thank goodness it is cooler next week! 25 degrees here past three days.

Progressive run for me this morning so warm up, 20 mins at 11.15 pace and 10 minutes at 9.55 pace the former I hit on the head the latter sadly not same pace as the former and cool down.

Gardener here to cut the grass first cut of the season as been too wet.

Wordle in Five.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    edited May 11
    WS: Wouldn'd beat up about missing that target. Likely still residual effects from your HM.
    Hope the knee is feeling better/ refreshed, TS.  I don't find the going up & down so bad, rather balancing and getting into a sufficiently secure position near the top of a 6m ladder.  A mix of chainsaw work (light battery one or pole chainsaw) or using a hand pruning saw (even more arduous!), depending on stem diameter etc.  Currently working on a ~15m multi-stem/trunk tree.  Thankfully have finished the high work on this one.  Now down to ~6m max.  Most of the rest can be dispensed much lower down using a heavier duty petrol saw.  Was wearing a harness for the dicier stuff.

Did do parkrun this morning and as anticipated, time (25:21) not up there with the last two.  Decidedly chilly start (4.5C when I arrived for 'warm up') but no wind & cloudless sky so wasn't too bad.  Probably time for a couple of weeks break. Definitely will next Sat as I have a colonoscopy on Thur.  Doubt I will be up to parkrun after prep for that :(

• Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    May have been a bit premature re ladder climbing; calves stiff this first thing this morning despite not much done yesterday (NZ Mothers Day).

Fartlek run around estuary this morning; 8.3 km (@ 5:57 ave), with 5x 450m-700m efforts @ ~5:10 - 4:55 ave.
  • Options
    NZD

wot - you weren't on cooking duties yesterday :)?

It's getting that extra 50mm on the ladders that does it - just stretching up on one's toes!

That was a big drop in temperatures for you for parkrun - distinctly chilly.

By contrast we have been basking in comparative warmth plus 20C for a few days now.

Gardening disaster when  my lawn mower conked out! 
     Rang the firm that do servicing - 3 weeks minimum wait, with grass growing at an inch a day- so it was back to my almost forgotten knowledge, aided by YouTube, to disassemble fuel tank, pipes and carburettor, clean out, refuel with new petrol   and reassemble.

Took a long time but success until it started burning oil but eventually cleared that as well and back to grass cutting.

Apparently the new E10 petrol being sold, with 10% ethanol, deteriorates quite quickly and can cause gumming  up with deposits. Being a stingy git I was still using the petrol left over from last year!!

Knee still misbehaving, not helped by lifting aforesaid mower onto and off workbench, so no runs to report.

Wordle in three, five and four today - today yet again got the "...... is a valid word but unlikely to be a solution..."  It's about time such words were included to make it harder for everyone else :)

• Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    edited May 14
    Yup, up on tippy-toes for maximum reach likely cause of the stiff calves!  OK now.
    Wot, cook!?  Well in defence, oldest son insisted on coming around and preparing a family lunch, bringing most of the ingredients with him.  I did help ( ... a little)!  Middle son, a lot more so.

More 'sedate', easy pace circuit this morning, hoping to keep ave HR to mid-120's max.  Aimed more at getting a few more km's on the odo & recovery after yesterday.  Reasonably happy with the result (8.3 km @ 6:12, HR 122/131).  Scraped in just under 10 m/m for those not (yet!) adapted to metric.  A bit faster than original target of ~6:20 and happy that managed it with ave HR only 122 (albeit aided by it being cloudy and rather cool at ~10C).  Suunto PL (~Vo2max) now back up to 50 during last few runs.  Still a few notches to go to get back to earlier peak fitness though.  Yesterday's run likely blew a few cobwebs out of the system.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    BTW TS, well done on getting your mower back up and running.  The days of home servicing seem almost over these days.
  • Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Hi folks -been a while - had a read back - see Welsh Poppy had a good half marathon - I see from her Strava she has a doggie companion to keep her company most days.

NZD - Well done on getting under that 25 minute barrier - and yes I was one of those heading off to Rotorua Marathon again - managed another finish in 5hr 04, son and daughter ran too - nice weekend. Did a half marathon in April - 2hr 20 - felt terrible! Still been doing the odd parkrun so still ticking over. 

Big plan is Chicago marathon so hope the body hangs in for a bit longer - going with my son.

Alehouse - still working and sad to hear you have an injury - you were going well.

Torque Steer - still giving some great advice - those 400s - very nice!

Birch - still doing quality running.

Love the picks everyone is putting up. Son's dog is in the bad books - has just dug up husband's garden - husband is not happy he  had spent some quality time planting seedlings out!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    TS good going on getting the lawn mower fixed!!
    NZD: Sounds like a good yum;-)
    NZC: Lovely to see you back here with nice plans for Chicago.

Late run yesterday as at eye hospital and then torrential rain all day scuppered plans but after home and lunch opted to get wet and run 3.10 miles.

Wordle in 4 yesterday.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    NZC: Nice to hear from you again, and to hear you are 'still ticking over' :).  Well done on completing yet another marathon, with another lined up.  Not certain how you manage it.  HM is my limit.  I doubt my body could handle running for 4 - 5 hours.
    WP: Great dedication, running despite the rain

Tomorrow (g'kids here early am + predicted rain :) ) and Thur (colonoscopy!) out for me.  Will see how feel on Fri but I am keen to keep the kms up now I am back on track.  But work heating up with J trip fast approaching.  Would love to have done Hawkes Bay HM this weekend (it's flat!) ... but not two days after little 'c'.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you, NZC! And another marathon notched up! Hope the training goes well for Chicago!
    And yes, I'm injured: a particularly bad one! Trying to stay positive though!
    So, today's positive step comprised aqua jogging for the first time ever: one minute on, thirty seconds off. Yesterday was a stretching session plus a short go on the cross trainer. Don't seem to be suffering from that and generally the only discomfort that I am getting is when driving.

Wordle in three yesterday,six today. 
  • Options
    NZC
    lovely to hear from you and your ongoing marathon exploits :)

at least you have a 5 month long build-up to Chicago - not sure if that is a help or hindrance...

Those 400m rep times are muscle memory only now :/

NZD
    doing well on the VO2 max front - good going
    Busy week lined up so you did well to get your mileage in despite tree felling!

Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke engine just about unbreakable, even in my incapable hands, but it's a long time since I have done anything with engines big or small - and my fingers seem to have got podgier!!

WP
    you must be pleased that weather is back to normal for your run!!

alehouse
    sounds like quite positive progress - hope it continues.

Driving does seem to bring out the worst in lower limb injuries.

Did you have the same deluge as hit Old Trafford?

Knee still resting so no Hash tonight.

Wordle in six today - and another "...... is a valid word but unlikely to be a solution..."  on one of my choices in the analysis!!
    My vocabulary must be too large...