Options

Swimming Masters Session at Tooting Lido

123457»

Comments

• Options
    sorry miss....

i got stuck behind a crash and arrived late, at about 10 past 7. i got in the left hand side of the pool just as you were climbing out of the right! I shouted you but your ears must have been frozen. cartman was there in a blue hat.
  • Options
    but never mind BR - if you're quick you can still enter the vitruvian. do it today!
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Candy, nice to meet you sober, how many lenghts did you do...

Tishymouse was there as well, easily recognisable as the one with icicles hanging from her. I think she has just about defrosted now, poor thing :-(

bakingrunner, what time were you there at ?
    We were in the water from about 7 till 7:40..

Although the weather was 'orrible it was lovely in there this AM....

Was also trying out my seal xps for the first time, can heartily recommend them, fantastic visibility..
  • Options
    mine leaked like bejeebus for the first six lengths, didn't you see me taking emptying them repeatedly and shouting increasingly obscene things at them? should be called 'don't-seal xps'

anyhoo, after i sealed them i did a mile and a bit (9 there-and-backs) in the cracking time of 38 and a half minutes.

i've realised that i'll never learn to swim properly. training just stops me getting even crapper.

• Options
    does this happen every Friday - I'll try to make it down there next week if so?
  • Options
    dang blast nab it! Was in the water from around 6:50 to 7:25...and the pool stole all my body heat by then. Cartman, I must have seen you at some time, in between my atempts to keep afloat! Sorry i couldn't introduce myself! Candy, I think you're right, my ears must have been frozen 'cause i didin't hear you at all. Either that or I was concentrating on trying to walk on frozen feet. Glad that you weren't IN the crash at least!! If it is any warmer i'll try to make it down there next week as well, so hopefully meet up with everyone eventually!!
  • Options
    BR - or you could get a wetsuit.... (or hire from triuk?). will add a bit to your speed, too.

XFR - generally, yes, but how about next tuesday?

All - i'm not around next friday so i'm going down on tuesday. anybody fancy it?
  • Options
    Got a GP appointment, otherwise yes - would be interested in another Tuesday though :o)
  • Options
    we could go for two sessions a week, and at least then somebody should turn up!

for me, mondays and fridays are generally best as i do my long run/ride on sat/sun

not B/H mondays though

any other suggestions??

NB I could try to get Tane down to one session a week if people want coaching? we could all chip in for whatever he charges. [ex NZ national swim team]. we'd need a few interested people though.
  • Options
    sounds interesting Candy - how much etc?
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Tane?

What a splendid name - sounds like a Mills and Boon hero.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Candy, sounds like a top idea. TM and I have started looking around for lessons, so you could put the two of our names down.

BTW what time of year does the lido shut at ?
  • Options
    Yeah I'd definitely be interested in lessons if he doesn't mind a REALLY slow swimmer (am ashamed to say how long it took me to to 14 lengths this morning). Though I think I might ditch the 'embracing the natural elements' approach and wear a wetsuit over my cossie next time. Hypothermia has an interesting impact on your brain - you should see some of the emails I sent out this morning while still in a semi-frozen state.
  • Options
    You can't be any slower than me TishyMouse..or any more frozen!! I'd be up for lessons as well Candy so you can put my name down.
    going to try to make Fridays a regular thing as well. At least until the Lido closes at the end of September. So someone will be there XFR!
  • Options
    Not sure I'm keen on this hypothermia - I don't have a wet suit :oS
  • Options
    the Lido is open 365 days a year to SLSC members. shuts in September (I think) for the rest of us. joining SLSC would therefore be in order! dave and caspar did i think its £100 for the year and you get unlimited free entry.

dont know what he charges, i'll call him
  • Options
    for wetsuits generally, try triuk.com

they will hire them cheaply, apparently, and sell ex-hire too

barthorpe hired then bought it, he was raving about them.

i've been to their shop and its well worth the 7 hour round trip!
  • Options
    XFR - its not usually as cold. we've had a cold snap for the past few days and it effected the pool temp.

ooh here's a thought for small people who want a wetsuit - monique said she's buying a new one. maybe the old one is on offer? its a sleeveless Ironman number in, er, girl size, from memory.
  • Options
    i went last friday but it was in the afternoon. it was fun but i got stuck in the fountain.
  • Options
    friday afternoon? i tried that once you have to play 'dodge the chav'
  • Options
    it wasn't too bad there were only 3 or 4 in there and they were up in the corner near the entrance. it was a bit chilly though, i had to get out after a while as i was getting cold.
  • Options
    i went on a really hot day there were hundreds of them. one bunch (i realised after about 8 lengths) were swimming in front of me deliberately. i also noticed that ironically, they were sh*te breast strokers and it was too deep to stand. so i swam straight over them a couple of times and kicked uneccessarily hard and they stopped doing it. unfortunately they didn't drown.
  • Options
    thats the technique i use for old people in my lane at the public baths. they had it right in logans run(except maybe a bit older than 40, seeing as i am there soon)
    bring back the sparten values, send the weak and old to the local pool and let triathletes practice mass start techniques over them. like the samurai practicing their sword strokes on criminals.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    you ought to try running and swimming in Kingston, there's millions of them here, must be the chav capital of England.

Fortunately the chav areas are quite well defined so you can save up a bit of energy to make sure that you can, if necessary put in a bit of sprint..
  • Options
    no takers? i'll have a lie in and go for a run instead then
  • Options
    i'm going in the morning for a few lengths, will try a wetsuit this time.
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    won't be there tomorrow, but plan to be there on Fri
  • Options
    i am working round the corner(sort of) so its an excuse. but will try to get there more than once this week. if theres an enterprise rental van in the carpark it will be me(mines being fixed)
  • Options
    Does the Lido close for the winter? And can someone tell me what the opening times are.

The open water venue that I swim at will close in a few weeks and I'm looking for an alternative.

cheers

Dave F.
  • Options
    doesnt close if you are a member of the SLSC

http://www.slsc.org.uk/

anyone fancy xmas day!