Options

Sub 4.15

Comments

• Options
    just entered the finchley 20m on the 13th March - is anyone else doing it? it is at 2pm which is a pretty inconvenient time, but I figured for my first 20m run, I'll need the encouragement of a few others!

• Options
    When you posted on here BG I was trying to work out which thread I'd seen you on before! Anyway Venom and I will both be running at Stamford - I've put 3.30 as my predicted time but given the hills would probably be quite happy with that!
  • Options
    Hi M, Stamford will be the longest I have ever run and those hills do sound a bit of a worry ! Still I guess it's all good prep for FLM (or so I keep telling myself)....good luck at Stamford - hope to see you there !
  • Options
    Hi all,

Unfortunately, I can't make Stamford or Finchley, but am planning to do the Reading Half Marathon on March 6th and Kingston 16m breakfast run on the 20th. Anyone else planning to do these?
  • Options
    Doing Reading on 6th, but on 20th I'm considering Cranleigh 15/21. I like the option of being able to stop at 15 miles if all is not well, and it's only £6 to enter.
  • Options
    stamford will indeed be good flm prep! actually i'm quite looking forward to it now.

bikingbird - unfortunately i've got friskney 1/2 and oakley 20 lined up for those days - but they are both good races so i've heard

• Options
    10 mile race today - 1.29.33

back to long runs next week with 17 miles planned
  • Options

Hi everyone, i havent posted for a while.
    I did somewhere between 16-17 miles yesterday, felt really good and legs not suffering today.Did have a bit of a headache a little while after I finished and in hind sight, i dont think I hydrated well enough. Managing to get out 4 times a week but cant wait until it stays lighter for longer in the evenings. I hate doing runs in the dark!

Although I have a ballot place, I am still raising money for cancerBACUP as my younger brother was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer during christmas week, and is currently going through hell with chemo. Whenever I feel like missing a run etc, I just think of him and it gives me the kick up the arse I need
  • Options
    billie! good to see you again. hope your brother is coping with chemo.

well done on your long run
  • Options
    Well done M & Billie!

Had a cold & sore throat over w/e but still went out for a 30 minute hilly run on Sat, and 10.5 miles Sunday, which took deaqd slow at 2:01. That's my second longest run (and slowest) ever but I felt really good afterwards.

I've decided for my long Sunday runs to take about half at an "easy" pace - i.e. 1-2 minutes per mile slower than I hope to run FLM, and the rest at a steady pace (between 9-10 min/mile for me). Hopefully this will mean that I'm conditionsed to burning fat - but have also covered long distances at a decent enough pace. Any comments?
  • Options
    Greg Mcmillan has some interesting thoughts on long runs two types of long run

his getting faster run sounds very much like what you are aiming for.

while i'm building the miles (the next month at least) i'll be planning on just taking it easy and averaging about 10.30 - 11 min miles.
  • Options
    M - Thanks, it's a good article and his methods are a lot more structured than mine. I've got a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks time so I might try out the fast finish there for the first time. I'll report back on how it goes.
  • Options
    Hello all
    Sounds like everyone's training is going well
    have had a difficult week or so - became obvious that i was overtraining as just suddenly realised I was absolutely knackered. Spent a large proportion of last week falling asleep on the sofa etc. Managed a 12m effort on sunday which I was pleased with, but have been taking it really easy this week - I suddenly realised that I was committing the fatal error of making all of my runs hard. Did 5m last night at a relatively easy pace and it felt pretty good. Am hoping that a week of easy running and no long run this week should get me back on track.
    Will definitely try the fast finish run next week to see what it is like (probably quite unpleasant!)
  • Options
    Newbie - I'm doing 3 weeks hard then one week of easy training. During the easy week I have an extra day off and swap a midweek run for something else (last time I went for a swim).

Also - I use a HRM to train - so I can easily differentiate between an easy, steady and quick paced run.

I would recommend that you still do a long weekend run - even if it is really slow, and even if you can't do anything before then. I think one long slow run will be more benficial than 2-3 shorter runs at this stage.
  • Options
    M - that's a good article on Macmillan, thanks.

I'm trying to fit in five runs a week, but work's quite hectic at the moment, so even if i only do four, I always make sure I do my long easy one at the weekend. I did 12m on Sunday at a very easy pace for me (still about 75% of WHR according to my HRM but I always seem to be a bit higher than recommended even when i go really slow). Going to try for 14m this w/end.

The one thing I haven't managed to start yet is any real hill or interval training. How important do you think those sessions really are for a marathon?

Have a good day everyone.
  • Options
    Btw - I'm using this running log - David Hays spreadsheet for my training.

It has quite an interesting marathon time predictor built into it which calculates your expected finish time from your fastest 26.2 miles in any week. On last week's mileage, I'm supposed to be around a 4hr06m. Even if it's not that accurate, it makes you feel good...!
  • Options
    Bikingbird - I think interval training is important, but not so much with the hills (especially for FLM). Running really hard for short ditances and then jogging (or walking) to recover really does improve your speed and makes you more efficient when runnign at a steady pace. Hills can provide a bit of variety for your training, but I wouldn't consider them essential for London.

BTW - my HRM is often a few beats (i.e. about 5-7) higher than my target for the workout I'm doing. I see my HRM as a guide for different tempos of running but try not to get too obsessed by the exact readings, since my maximum and minimum HRs are "good estimates" and have never been properly tested. E.g. yesterday I went for a 30 minute easy run which should equate to 137-143 BPM for me. Most of the run was between 145-149 but I was going as a steady comfortable pace that I didn't want to change. As soon as I hit 150, I eased off a bit.
  • Options
    All sounds v complicated! i can only think in miles - not heart rates as well!

7 miles Sat, then 15 miler Sunday coming up! YIKES!

Happy weekend all!
  • Options
    hill training is supposed to be very good for strength endurance? agreed we certainly aren't going to have to scale any hills in FLM but maybe it would be helpful anyway? not essential though for sure (i didn't do any before rotterdam last year)

17-18 miles for me tomorrow (not quite sure how long the loop actually is!) although i'm a bit nervous i'm also strangely looking forward to it! i'm taking my iPod shuffle and a load of very good music!

Newbie - i think a week of running exactly how you want to run is whats called for. i went out and did 3 easy miles on tuesday and loved every second of it - its easy to forget that we do this for fun sometimes :-)

• Options
    17 miles done - I followed Greg McMillan's advice (sort of) and did the last 2 miles quicker - one at 9.35 then one at 9.20. all the others were just at "taking it nice and easy" pace

hope the weekend is going well for everyone
  • Options
    16 miles for me yesterday M...felt tired but not absolutely worn out. I also tried the last couple of miles quicker and it went OK. See what happens at Stamford next week !
  • Options
    Hi all,

I also experimented with the fast finish for the last 3 miles of my 15-miler yesterday. Felt fine. It was probably also due to the fact that I was trying to stay at a really low heart-rate. Not only did I feel like I was almost walking, but I got very bored! Don't think I'll keep it that low again. I guess training is all about experimenting anyway.
  • Options
    Very impressed with the lengths of everyones LSD's at the moment - 16m+! Good to hear everyone is going so well. Am now worried I am getting a bit behind, especially after my easy week.
    Will be at 14m this weekend. Although, I did feel encouraged this weekend as went for a run in the lake district, where is obviously v hilly, and did a run I last did about 3mths ago, which I had found absolutely horrendous. This time the hills didn't even bother me - obviously the training is doing something and I haven't really been focussed on hills!

• Options
    Newbie 1 - that sounds like a great run. Well done.

And don't worry about being behind. You're not at all. All the schedules I have say you should be doing around 13m now, so we're all putting in a little extra more to feel confident more early, I guess.
  • Options
    Thanks Bikingbird - is reassuring to hear that. Sometimes is a bit difficult to tell how I am getting on, particularly as all my (non running) mates think the whole concept of marathon training is absolutely mental, so are not that excited to listen to me rabbiting on about my successes/concerns. Mind you - I guess that's what these forums are for!

• Options
    Newbie 1 - I think you're doing fine as you are - the only reason I wanted to be a couple of miles further on at this stage is that I've got a 30K run at Stamford coming up this weekend and so wanted to have run close-ish to that distance beforehand. Most of the schedules I've seen would say that you are just at the right level. Good luck with the training !
  • Options
    i'm exactly the same newbie - stamford next week so wanted a longer run first. don't worry - 14m next weekend will be fine - you are exactly where you need to be.
  • Options
    stamford was not too bad in the end - went round in 3.15 so MP+40secs.

did you enjoy it BG?

hows everyone else getting on - lots of LSDs this weekend?
  • Options
    I did Wokingham Half today in 2hrs (and 4 seconds for any pedantic people). I tried the streategy of running faster in the second half of the run and it worked quite well. I did 9.5 min miles for the first 7, and sped up to 8-45 for the last six. It was quite hard mentally to speed up at seven - but it soon became easier as I started to overtake people who had gone off too fast. Not sure if it was any benefit over running at a constant speed all the way - but it brings a bit of variety to the long Sunday run.

Has anyone else tried doing this?
  • Options
    Hi M....enjoyed Stamford today (even with the hills and very strong wind!). Was very tired in the last 2K but managed to finish in 2.53 which was quicker than I was hoping for....feeling the effects now tho. Easy(ish) week for me now and I have no LSR next weekend as I'm away but I think completing Stamford today has given me more confidence for the full distance.