Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    BHA Bob

Well done :))))

I was always told you take your Half time double it and add 20mins and that should give you a rough idea of what yo will run for a full Marathon.

So your plan of going sub 4:30 is very realistic.

I managed 1:54:36 last year for my first Half and ran London in 4:26:56

This year so far I have run 1:45:54 and still looking to better that. As a result of that time, I have got a sub 4 in mind for Edinburgh.

So anything is possible with Fourteen weeks left to go.

Again well done....
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Well done BHA Bob!

I'm doing Inverness half this weekend and hoping for a pb, but that is only better than 2.12ish so should be possible!
  • Options
    This will be my first marathon and I intent to celebrate afterwards!!!! Anyone know if there is an after-race party and if not where's the best place to go to have a well-earned drink or four??
  • Options

Good stuff BHA Bob - you must have enjoyed it.

Mandie R - there was a thread on this a while back. The locals advised that we wait until nearer the time to sort it out. They reckon the problem is finding a bar that isn't packed (Edinburgh on a pleasant (!) June Sunday will be a popular place). I think we patiently wait for their verdict! Btw, it's my first marathon as well.
  • Options
    My first marathon too!
    Reality hit this weekend when the Edinburgh marathon magazine appeared through the letterbox.
    I'm starting to get scared.....
  • Options
    Candyfloss - what training prgramme are you using? You just starting now or have you been training previously?
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Katypie - how did you get on at the Balloch-Clydebank half today? Cold start but then warmed up. Although I didnt "do" it, I ran from 7M-12.5M with some of the stragglers as part of my big 24M today. Those 5 miles were really good at a 6.45 pace, but then slowed when I had no company. Ended up home in 2.40.

Well done anybody else who did this race.

I'm prob heading to The Bow Bar on Victoris St for a post race pint or three. Best stand-up drinking boozer in Embra. Mind you, there are loads of good ones!
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Mandie R - last year a few of us went to the Standing Order - it has a no smoking room - I'm so slow though that most people will have gone home by the time I'm done!
  • Options

As ever, I do think it would be good to meet folk from this forum after the run. The Bow Bar, Standing Order, I don't mind.

Candyfloss - as Vevecca says, once your training programme is sorted out it really does get easier.

I did the Stafford 20 yesterday and finished in 2.33.33. I've never run that fast and it felt great! For the very first time I felt that I could have run another 6.2 miles. Just hope I feel the same way in June. But a year or so ago I would never have been able to do that. By slowly building up my training (particularly the last couple of months) I've got to that stage. So although at the start of a training programme, the end looks a long way off, it can work! I know this is obvious to most of you but I'm so chuffed, as well as surprised, by yesterday that I want to babble on about it. Sorry!
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Tony - great run yesterday! Well done. By the sounds of it you'll have to wait a while for me to get to the pub in June though!
  • Options
    Tony - congratulations!! it sounds as tho you will be in the pub first then - mines a large white wine so I'll expect it on the bar ready for when I eventually finish!!
  • Options

I knew there was a problem with the training working! But I'm not sure any of us will be able to gurgle a round at the bar. It might have to be sign language.
  • Options
    Vevecca and Tony.

I'm following the Runners world schedule for sub 4.30. Just completed week 4 so still early days. I did manage a half marathon in 1 hr 59 last November so I'm confident I can do the marathon. It just seems so daunting at the moment!
    Once I'm over 13 miles, on my long run, I think things will become easier.
    I did 8.5 miles yesterday and the thought of doing that again twice blew my mind!!!
  • Options
    hey all, its been a while since i posted, I see everyone is well into their training. Im afraid I have been lazy most of the winter, and now im paying for it...Used to be able to run 15 miles without too much problem, now im struggling to do 12.
    Still, ploughing on with the training now. Got a few races in the pipeline before the big one, and with some decent long training sessions shpuld be able to beat that elusive 4 hour time (pb is 4:03).
    Anyone decided on a venue for the pre/post finish ales?
    Also...
    Does anyone know what the score is with picking up the race pack? I dont know if I can get there before the day, and i dont fancy queueing up with 5000 other people to get it on race day. Can I get a friend to pick it up for me, or do i need to collect in person?
  • Options

Candyfloss

I know exactly what you mean. Not that long ago the idea of me running this far was way off the scale. But the further you get along the training schedule, the more you think that you're up for it! For me, it's trying to vary the training (hills, speed, long runs, etc in different locations) and running with a neighbour a couple of times a week. He's far more experienced than me and an AC member and his advice has been brilliant.
    After all, it has to be fun doesn't it?
  • Options
    Hi, training was going great until 5 weeks ago. Ran 15 miles on the Fri, thought I'd give my legs a rest on the Saturday so went out on my bike. Fell off the damn thing and ended up getting x-rayed. So much for x-training. Never mind, ran Balloch-Clydebank in 1.33, so almost back on track, really funny thing is my injured leg is now the only thing that doesn't hurt
  • Options
    loaded - race packs can be picked up at the Expo (Holyrood Park) on Fri and Sat between 9am and 8pm. I am flying over for the Edinburgh Marathon from Spain and not sure when I'll arrive, otherwise I would offer to get yours for you, although I don't know if that's permitted. Will definitely be up for some post-race 'vinos' and will keep checking the forum for recommended drinking venues. Will need a big steak, too!
  • Options
    Big steak?? I'll settle for a whopper from burger king - thats my incentive!!!
  • Options

That's where you have it over us veggies (far easier to get something quick) - steak? burger king? The very idea!
  • Options
    thx Jo. I think I already had the info about picking up the marathon packs on Fri and Sat. The problem is that the race is on Sunday, and I dont really want to travel all the way to Edinburgh just to pick up a race pack.
    Any other ideas?
  • Options
    Loaded..

There was mention of a similar process to London, where by you can get someone else to pick your number up for you with a letter of authorisation with your signature on, but can't find where i saw it.

sorry...

will keep looking
  • Options
    loaded - if all else fails, contact info@edinburgh-marathon.co.uk

I guess there must be a way for people like you who don't arrive until race day to pick up your pack, but they probably don't advertise the fact so as to stop the lazy ones from waiting until the last minute and causing jams!
  • Options
    Thats what im afraid of Jo, waiting in a queue of 5000 half an hour before kick on the day...
    Thx Bodge - will take a look myself
  • Options
    loaded - Have you decided which charity you're going to run for yet? I'll have to look out for you as I think with your expected/hoped for finishing time that you may be a good pacemaker for me! I did London in 4h29mins in 2003, but could have run faster. It was my first marathon and I just wanted to get round alive, especially as I was running for charity. As it turned out I was fine and ran comfortably all the way. I'd trained very hard and it paid off. Edinburgh will be my second full marathon but I've done loads of half marathons and fun runs in between. We'll see!
  • Options
    Jo - I am runnning with a group of work mates and we are running for a local charity. I am hoping for around the 3:45 mark.
    I finished in 4:19 at edinburgh last year and 4:03 at kingston in October.
  • Options
    loaded - woh! That's a bit fast for me. I reckon I'll be at least 20 mins behind you. The best of luck to you and your mates, and most importantly, enjoy the day!
  • Options
    Thought I would drop by to say Hi!
    This will be my first Marathon Race, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Going to Edinburgh with a couple of mates and their wives, one of whom is doing this to celebrate his 40th, so will be looking forward to a few drinkies after.

My target time is a sub 4hours, just did the Silverstone half in 01:46:58 so I reckon if I stick to the schedule... I should manage it. Although I'm a little worried about the difference in temp, having done all my training in the cold.
    Any recommendations?
    TM
  • Options
    Hi! I did the International Palma Half Marathon in Mallorca yesterday and finished in 1hr 41 with a burnt nose! I know nobody can know for sure, but what sort of weather conditions can we expect for Edinburgh? I notice that people are wearing shorts in the photos from last year, but having lived in Mallorca for 5 years, what may seem warm to people over there, might be quite chilly for me!
  • Options
    The heat...
    It was a killer for me last year. This year I'm taking my camelbak. It holds one and half litres, so with that and the water stops I should be OK.
    However, this year, there is no arthurs seat, and apparantly less hills! Doesnt stop that scorching run along the riverfront tho :-o
    TM - My half time before l;ast years marathon was 1:41, and I finished 4:19. Dont know if that gives you an idea of how you will do, but I will say this: a marathon is much, much harder than a half.
    Still, with better preparation, this year I hope wont be as hard
  • Options
    Wow!
    You all sound so fast!

I managed 10.5 miles yesterday and still felt pretty good afterwards. Will I make it to 26 in time for 12th June, I wonder....