Options

sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Options
    Good look Howard.

Superman, I water it down a bit coz I agree it doesn't taste that great. I think the lemon one is best.
  • Options

I am a big fan of orange lucozade sport. Its the only drink I take with me- god knows what it does to your teeth though!! I cope well on lucozade sport and the odd jelly baby.
    Ran just over 20 miles this morning. Set off at 9.30am. First time out in shorts and strappy top. It was good to pack the Ronhill tracksters away, but boy, didnt it get warm. I got through loads of lucozade sport and began to worry that I didnt take enough. Started off a little too fast, but completed it relatively comfortably.To be honest, I dont think I'll get sub 4. Its going to be more like 4.15-4.30 I think. But I would be pleased with that as previous time was 4.55.
    Its hard to believe that its only 4 weeks to go. Hope to get another 20 miler in next week before taper.
  • Options
    I agree about watering down the lucozade stuff but it is a bit difficult during the race its self...I would be interested in how other runners intend to pace themsleves to get under 4 hours. I intend to try pumping out 8 minute 30 second miles for as long as i can, hopefully when i hit the wall i will have enough time in hand to fall over the line under my target. i think trying to run even 9 minute miles from the start is doomed to fail as a cannot imagine sustaining that in the final miles.
  • Options
    let us know how you get on Howard?
  • Options
    Nice to hear from you Billie,

I reckon I'm on for the same, let me know if you would like a running mate!

Wish, i'd done 20 today instead of tommorrow.........................

Superman...I think i'm going to carry my own water bottle during the big day so for at least 16-18 miles I will be ok and maybe grab some H2o in between.
  • Options
    Is it true that the crowd and adrenalin get you round the last 6 miles? I'm worried i won't have any adrenalin left by then.

Also, if i think it's going to take me 4 hours to get round, should i not practice being on my feet for 4 hours? I don't know what to do really, some schedules say miles, some say time. Any advice?
  • Options
    This will be my 4th London & 8th marathon overall, the crowds in London from the start to the finish are fantastic. Even in the quieter parts of the race there will people clapping and encouraging you along, even the Police, St Johns & marshals all join in.You can pass the time if you wish "high-fiving" kids along the route.In the last 4 or 5 miles the crowds really start to get big and loud, and although you may be just one of 30,000 runners that day it does make you feel you are doing something special. And finally, as you approach the Mall via Birdcage Walk it is like running through a sea of people either side of you, even the most hardened runner cant help being emotional as you head to the finish, you will want to cry with joy at the end. My advice to any new runner is that what ever pain or discomfort you may feel during the race it is more than made up for at the finish, enjoy it, you will finish & it will be for most people a highlight of thier life.....Aud, if you are confident on the start line of getting to 20 miles (in any time) you will finish....good luck.
  • Options
    Superman and all,

I read the above the above before my 20 miler this morning and it gave me a real lift, thanks.

3.06.25 and I managed to semi sprint the last 200 yards, I was really pleased. Felt strong all the way. Just got out of my 20 minute cold bath which i'm getting used too!

I know my time was quicker than the RW schedule but i struggle to run at 10.30, anyway going to do 22 next sunday.

PS. did the run on 4 pints of guiness and a chicken batli last night!

• Options
    Jenks your advice paid off! Just finished the Kingston 16 and kept your target in my head, came through in 2:18. ALthough i had to practically drag my left leg round, really painful knee joint and not sure why. So am sitting here now with a bag of peas on it! But thanks for setting me a time, it certainly motivated me.
  • Options
    I cant do the cold bath lark....but i have done the 4 pints and a curry thing...funnily a few drinks the night before doesn't seem to have too bad of an effect on my running...I will definately be having a couple the night before the London, plenty of carbs in beer, just have to balance it with some additional water. Managed a 20 miler this morning in 2:48 so i am pretty pleased, just have to do it one more time before the taper. Will do 20 again next Sunday, then 12 & 7 the following Sundays. "Not long to go guys, keep it going!" :o)
  • Options
    Hi

I have just done the Kingston 16miles today in 2hrs 12 mins, and used lucozade,but not too much!and Jelly belly beans.you know all the different flavoured ones,guessing the flavour takes your mind off pounding the pavements, I have lowered my 9mins per mile to about 8.25 but I dont know if I will be able to sustain it for another 10 miles!Will run 22 next week, advice says make the long run last as long as you expect to be on you feet for the marathon, Does this mean I should make the 22 miles last 4hrs or try to go a bit faster in 4 hrs and run more than 22 miles?
  • Options
    I did a 20 miler yesterday. My Dad (who cycles with me) insists on getting up early which I dislike. I much prefer running in the evening. I found that I struggled from 14 miles on. I wasn't going too quickly I just didn't have anymore to give, really felt like I was plodding. For the first time on my long runs I stopped to walk for 50 yds a couple of times in the last mile. It took me 3 hours 20 mins. Has anyone else aiming for sub 4hrs had similar time runs for this distance and struggled? I just feel like I'm losing the enthusiasm, the long runs are getting hard work. Perhaps I need to remember why I want to run FLM and get my excitement going as a good motivator.

I did however do a 20 mile race on 6th March in 2 hours 55 mins which is much more on target and I felt ok til 17 miles and it was the first time I'd ever run that far.
  • Options
    I did the Oakley 20 miles today. Stuck at 9 min miles all the way round finished in 2:59. I feel very happy with that. I took in water but no Lucazade drink, had one GEOBAR at 12 miles and one Lucozade gel at 16 miles and I think they helped. The course was amazing: no flat bits at all, it was either uphill or down hill. I think flm is quite flat? I plan a slow 20/22 next weekend then a taper. I feel like even paced 9m/m will get me round London but I'm tempted by 8:45 leaving some margin for the last 6.2.
    How was everyone else this weekend?
  • Options
    LL, I have felt similar on some of my long runs. I think that as the long runs get longer, the body takes longer to recover from the previous week. To be honest, over the past 2-3 weeks, I have cut back on my mid week sessions slightly to make sure I get my long runs done. Last weekend I didnt do a long run and yesterday i completed 20-21 miles without any tiredness.It was really hot yesterday and I got though loads of lucozade sport plus jelly babies. I have now done 2 x 16, 1 x 18 and 2 x 20-21.Was going to squeeze in another 20 next weekend, but think it'll be more like 16-18 as I am deperate to keep injuries at bay. I know I have done enough to get round and at the end of the day, to get the medal around my neck is my priority!! I would liked to have aimed for sub 4, but now think that sub 4.15-4.30 is more likely.
  • Options
    I had the same problem yesterday on a 22 mile run it took me 4 hours, I have done two 20 mile races in the last month in under 3 hours. I think the temperature yesterday affected my performance. It was also a new route I tried which had more hills than expected.
    At least that is my last long run before FLM.
  • Options
    I'm gutted. I'm not even good enough now for the sub-4 group. Went out this morning, porridge & banana for breakfast, two dextrosol tablets, half a tube of deep heat (on the legs). Felt good until about 20. Got through 2 and a half lucozade gel sachets and loads of water. After 18 I felt as though my legs were caving in, every step was purgatory. Was this the wall? Mentally i was for giving in as well, but didn't. However slowed to a pea crawl and managed back in 3.44, which going by the RW race time predictor gives me a 4hr 17min finish. I'm demoralised now. My route today was very undulating (i call them hills, my training partner said slight inclines). Is there any way i'll be a bit faster in London, as it's supposed to be flat (apart from one slight incline). Any help/pep talks very welcome, before i move onto the sub-4.30 group (if there is one).

Thanks
  • Options
    Hills are a real bu**er on long runs. Dont you find that even the slightest incline feels like Mount Everest!! Its hard to avoid them in Devon though
  • Options
    Sorry meant to say i did 23 miles in the 3.44 time
  • Options
    Aud,
    I have been flipping between the sub 4, sub 4.15 and sub 4.30 group for the last 3 months!! Its called "keeping you options open""!!
  • Options
    LL, I have felt similar on some of my long runs. I think that as the long runs get longer, the body takes longer to recover from the previous week. To be honest, over the past 2-3 weeks, I have cut back on my mid week sessions slightly to make sure I get my long runs done. Last weekend I didnt do a long run and yesterday i completed 20-21 miles without any tiredness.It was really hot yesterday and I got though loads of lucozade sport plus jelly babies. I have now done 2 x 16, 1 x 18 and 2 x 20-21.Was going to squeeze in another 20 next weekend, but think it'll be more like 16-18 as I am deperate to keep injuries at bay. I know I have done enough to get round and at the end of the day, to get the medal around my neck is my priority!! I would liked to have aimed for sub 4, but now think that sub 4.15-4.30 is more likely.
  • Options
    i think there are some important differences between what you do in training and what you do on the day of the marathon . On the 17th April ....

1.You will have Completed your training.
    2.Had plenty of rest the week before.
    3.Stored loads of carbohydrates.
    4.Have proper drink stations on route.
    5.It will not matter that it takes long to recover after.
    6.You will get loads of support from fellow runners and spectators during the run.

From my experience of marathons you cant predict from you training exactly how the race itself will go, but in general it is usually easier than the training, until you go beyond what you have trained for. Most of us seem to have got up to about 20 miles including myself, i will try not think too much about the last 6.2 miles until i get to them...by that time it is easier to finish than to drop out. Of the 7 marathons i have completed i have aimed to complete each one under 4 hours, i have managed this only once, ('95 FLM)so although my training has gone well i have no illusions about how tough it will be on the day.
  • Options
    It sounds like we are all doing really well, well done Howard on your race.
    Let's have one last push and a good taper. I can't believe that I ran 20 miles yesterday in 3.06 and semi sprinted the finish! It might be tight for me to get to sub 4 on the day, but hey does it really matter that much...................? The training has really worked for me and I feel proud that I'm going to stand on the start line and give it my best shot. Let's all start feeling positive!! (I must be on a runner's high, long may it continue).
  • Options
    I agree 100% Higo x, we've done the work lets all enjoy the run in & and create some positive vibes about the big day.
  • Options
    Hello All

Just logging-in to see how it's all going.

Good to read there are some speedy 20 mile training runs in there - and I remember the 16 miles around Kingston last year...

Well done to you all - sounds like you are all doing superbly!

Only advice from this old fart is that last year 26.2 felt like 3 times as long and hard as 16 miles did - and the taper and the extra carbs before the big day didn't really seem to help mentally - although I know they did physically. Whatever happens don't get carried away into running too fast for the FLM - and also plan to do a very slow (20 minutes?) first two miles on the day.

Oh yeah.... and make sure you have fun!

Holly [lurks back to a beach cos he's forgotten how to run]
  • Options
    NATNIF - a PB in 4:06.20 !!! Well done !!! Looking good for 3:59:59 on a cobbleless London :)
  • Options
    Hi all, I managed my 22 miler on Saturday (3.40), felt fine up to around 18 miles but the last 4 were hard. Drank lucosade all the way round but on reflection 500ml was not enough in the heat.

Helen, by my reckoning 22 miles should take you arounf 3.40 at training speed.

Little Les, well done on your 20 miler, that's bang on and you race time was brilliant.

Not long now
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Glad to hear that there are others out there who are keeping options open for FLM finishing times.
    I started off with under 4hrs but after running Oakly 20 yesterday in 3hr 4mins, I am now not too sure if I will do the final 6.2 miles in an hour..
    Plan to do a 'nice' slow 22 next week, then thats it for long runs until the big day!
    Best of luck to everyone & as long as we enjoy the day thats all that matters.
  • Options
    Jenks you have cheered me up. I really was depressed as I thought it was very slow. I'm glad it's on target. I feel much better now and looking forward to only one more long run next weekend. Who knows I may run sub 4 in FLM!

Thanks very much :)
  • Options
    My training had been going really well until last sunday (8 days ago) I did a 10km cross-country race and opted for 2nd pair of trainers and got nasty blister on arch of left foot. It's in a spot that is affected every time I move my foot and the skin is really slow there to repair. Haven't been able to run since and it will be at least three days till I can run again.

Luckily got next couple of weeks off work so am hoping to squeeze in 2 20 milers and then taper. (Did one 18 miles before got the injury).

Getting frustrated that I can't get more long runs at this stage under my belt but hopefully it will clear by the weekend. Any advice?

Cheers, Christy
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your injury Christy, I got some nasty blisters in the training for my last FLM and found that Compede plasters were very effecive and enabled me to run again straight away with no pain. If you havn't come across them before, they differ from normal plasters in that they are sticky all over and you stick them over the blister (even raw skin if it has bust) and leave it on until it falls off. The skin grows back under the plaster.

Also worth sticking on before if you anticipate getting a blister.