Options

Newbie, need advice please

Comments

• Options
    Hi All, had a meeting at 7 this morning so no time for the lake, am going to the gym after work so will go on the treadmill for 45 minutes and see how far I get.

HY4 I haven't really thought about what other marathons I would do, to be honest I would be happy to do any and make it all the way round, did you say earlier on that you were doing the Stratford one next April, if so that would be a great one for me as its not too far from home and its a lovely place.

Sounds like everyone's doing well, I love this thread, I really look forward to reading it and posting my progress on it.
  • Options
    My 2 mile run includes a 0.2 mile (uphill) warm-up walk so I record the total distance including warm up distance - of course I do walk quite a bit of the remaining distance too as I am still run/walking (today I will try for 75 run/45 walk).

This is reflected in my time (I start timing as I begin my warm-up walk) so I didnt think I was cheating too much. ;-))

I feel really good after my last run - no stiffness, aches or pains. Raring to go today. Lots of sun up here too.

• Options
    GA Sorry I didn't mean that it was cheating, just wasn't quite sure of the standings that's all. That's great I have altered my place. I know it's not a competition, but it is great to see an improvement in my distance :-)

WB 4
    Purple 4
    Half 3.65
    Mad 3.6
    HY4 3.55
    Hippy 3.5
    Terra 3
    Beth 3
    Fen 24 min = approx 2.5?
    Graham 2
    Steaders = 0.82

Must get myself off the computer and do some housework, but it's so addictive.
  • Options
    Just had good news from the Doc's, my cholestrol level is back to normal. I had it first checked out when I joined slimming World in October and it was 6.0. and my weight was 13.6 I then started my exercise regime which included rowing, my weight is now 11.9 and my cholestrol is now down to 5.3.Woohoo! Even more incentive to lose more weight and get running out there
  • Options
    Well done Phil on getting the cholestrol down and on the weight loss. It's great when you see results.
  • Options
    phil-thats brill news, just makes it all even more worthwhile doesn't it.

my legs are a bit achey today gang, i quite like it coz it reminds me that i am doing something and working them more than they are used to.
    looking forward to the gym later as i am feeling very lively today.
  • Options
    Yhey for Phil! - well done

I'd love to run with an MP3 player but I had a really weird experience with a car once and I can't really avoid running on quiet country roads so I like to keep on the alert for cars / people etc - (isuppose I could run round and round the town centre but that's even more scary what with all the youngsters hanging around!)paranoid?? yup definitely! So i just have the sound of my breating to keep me company - which can be quite musical sometimes!

I've found some good training progs on

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/exercise/running/beginner/programme.html

So not feeling scared anymore - hoping to start wk one tonight!

• Options
    Good for you wobbly. I am finding myself with loads more energy since I've been running regularily.
  • Options
    hippyclick- i am the same when it comes to MP3's I don't feel safe when I can't hear whats going on around me. Also I find it an excellent time to think about things and clear my head and i don't think I would be able to do that with music.
  • Options
    Mad - what do you eat before your early run?

In the past I've either not eaten (felt sick n dizzy) or taken a banana with me (couldn't co-ordinate chewing and running - felt sick!)

Perhaps early morning running's not really for me...........shucks ;)

• Options
    Hey hippy, yep I run on country roads when at my OH's he lives in the middle of nowhere, literally. So I suppose it is best that I don't use the mp3, my OH will be pleased.

Yeah I looked at the training plan and it does look good. I might try the half marathon plan in the next few weeks. I have 24 weeks till my race so if I struggle with one week I can always repeat it.
  • Options
    Wobbly - Im writing a novel in my head (probably the best place for it to stay!)

• Options
    Hippy sorry posting at the same time. I don't eat anything before my morning runs, take a bottle of water with me and have some dried fruit as soon as I get back in. Although I am starting to think I need to eat something so am either going to try the dried fruit first or revert to my 4pm run time. I find these are the best times for me to run.

Last time I ate something within an hour of going for a run I found I really could tell I'd eaten so don't think I could eat anything more than dried fruit.
  • Options
    The last message should say eating within an hour of going for a walk not run. I haven't eaten within the 2hours before a run ever.
  • Options
    Hi gutys,
    I just found this thread - it is nice to hear so many stories from people in the same place as me!

I would like to do the FLM next year if possible. I ran the Silverstone 10k last night - my first one - in 58.52. I am very very happy to do it in under 60 minutes - no walking required!

I did do the great south run last year, which is a 10 miler but I did end up walking about 3 miles. I too would like to build up to running for 10 miles non stop - that would be great.

WB - where in Northants are you? I am in Daventry. I am too scared to join a running club and do most of my running on the treadmill (very boring) and around the country park (very nice but sometimes obnoxious kids start to take the proverbial).

Keep up the good work everyone!!
  • Options
    Hi Allana,
    I live in Ringstead and work in Kettering, not sure how far that is as I haven't been here long, maybe we could meet up on a weekend or something.
    Congrats on the 10k thats great, I would like to do a 10k soon just to get a feel for it and see how different it is running in an actual race.
  • Options
    hippy-thats a cool idea, my thoughs aren't that coherent while i am running, usually just a jumble of stuff about work but things always seem clearer when I have finished.

Mad- I am starting to notice a real improvement in my energy levels and also in my mood, all I need now is to notice it in my fat little legs and bum!
  • Options
    Hi WB,
    Thanks, it was fun (sort of!), the satisfaction at finishing without walking was great. I would like to do another and maybe work on a better time.

Kettering is about 45 minutes away I think so a fair old trek! You are on the south side of Northampton and I am on the north. I would like to run around Pitsford reservoir - which is probably half way between us, but it is a 7 miler so I am going to build up to it. I'll keep you posted!!
  • Options
    Hi allana, well done on the 10k, that's a great time too. Welcome to the thread.

Wobbly, yeah I would like my thighs to go down too, if I buy trousers they're usually a size if not 2 too big around my waist to make them look and feel comfy on my thighs. I think that I have lost about an inch off them in just a months running, which is great. Hope the next months drops another inch or two. I have noticed my calves becoming more toned now, hoorah. I'm not too bothered by my bum, it's always stuck out a little, someone said it's like a J Lo bum, to which I replied yeah but bigger. It is in proportion with the rest of me though.
  • Options
    Allana, as soon as I get up to anywhere near 7 miles I will definately meet you at Pitsford and we will give it a whirl.

Mad, I quite like my bum too, its big but not saggy or square, apparantely is a bum you can park ya bike in and stand ya pint on, very useful then really eh!
    My legs on the other hand are a disgrace, very chunky and wobbly, they need some serious improvement before I would consider wearing even a long skirt. Am sure they will improve though if I keep running and try and stick to a healthy diet.
  • Options
    I have always had chunky legs, was nicknamed thunder thighs at school, something which I suppose has haunted me until today, even though I am accepting myself more as this is the way my body is built. I have no shame and do wear a skirt and have even been seen in shorts on a run, wore cycling shorts last week on the bike and didn't put joggers on to cover up, eek.

I am dieting too with the running, doing ww, lost 2stone so far, only another 2stone 6 to go!!!! Ho hum, have sworn this will be the last time.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, feels great getting the result but even better when people you don't really know are supporting you. This was how I felt when I ran my half marathon many moons ago, people were egging me on even though they were strangers. When i do take to the roads I don't think I will use an MP3 because of the safety issues. Although I will be running in a park, there will be people who may want to steal things. The same goes for a Garmin or HR monitor, guess I'm none too trusting of urban life.
    PS. This is my opinion and not the general view of the residents of Liverpool:-)
  • Options
    Mad4, what sort of weight loss plan are you following? Whatever it is it must be working, or is it just pure exercise? Well done anyway for the loss. Wish this site had emoticons :-(
  • Options
    Phil I don't blame you. I am quite fortunate in that I have loads of routes I can take so can easily avoid certain spots. Good luck for you when you do go outside.

I am on weight watchers. Thanks you. I lost half a stone before christmas and have lost a stone and a half since the end of january. Was only able to walk for about 7weeks due to dislocating shoulder, but am now able to run again and so am hoping that the next stone will drop off. Have to make sensible food choices and not say that I can eat what I like because I am running, did that last year and put some back on!!! Would have been at goal now if I had been sensible about it all and not stopped running after my RFL. Never mind hind sight is always 20/20. I'm not one to get too down about things.
  • Options
    I won't extol the virtues of SW then M, as you say it is all about choice and yours is working. As they say "if it ain't broke" Just for a bit of fun, could we see who loses the most each week? It is like being in the class, lots of morale support.
  • Options
    That sounds good phil. I did SW many moons ago, but find myself more in control on WW. Like you say it's personal. What day do you wi? I do a saturday. I'm hoping for a good loss this week, haven't been the most angelic WW in the world, was sick with tonsilitis 3weeks ago and once I got my appetite back I had about 10days of eating for england. I have a feeling though I may not have eaten enough this week, it's a fine line really!!!!
  • Options
    I do my weigh in on Tuesday, I lost 2. My wife does the plan as well, it is easier when we both do it. I'm really in the groove at the moment, just so motivated. I've just done an hour on the rower and feel great, it also helps when you know your going for a pint tonight :-). Even when I get back out I will still use the rower for cross training, but you can't beat running ofr burning off the calories. I do fifty minutes on the treadmill and burn off 630, on the rower I only burn off 510 on the rower in an hour. So shall we start from this Saturday? Good luck either way M
  • Options
    Yep it really does sound like you're well in the swing of it. I have been going out on a push bike on my rest days and find it quite nice to burn off calories that way too. I know what you mean about aiming for a pint, I am a member of a swimming club (not going at the mo because shoulder not strong enough to swim properly) and on a thursday night after training we go the the pub, I end up having a pint or two of guinness safe in the knowledge that I've burnt off more than that amount swimming. My OH doesn't need to diet, he does a very strenuous main job and burns off anything he eats, but he's been very good with me on the diet and has't ever moaned about the food I cook.

Saturday sounds good. I will be on the board at some point saturday or you could e-mail me and I'll e-mail you back, I tried to email you but it said it was private. No worries if you want to keep it to the boards.

Enjoy the pint tonight.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    As I don't post at work I'm playing catch up now!

Mad4Purple

My Auntie and Uncle live in Malpas.
  • Options
    That's near whitchurch, if it's the one I'm thinking of, I haven't actually been there that much. I know how to get to it but I tend to spend most of time around shrewbury or south shropshire.

I wasn't on for a couple of days and took ages just reading through posts playing catch up myself!!