Options

MARS Triathlon, Matlock - £6 to enter!

Comments

• Options
    I personally wouldn't leave them in transition. I wouldn't have a clue what to do with them, to be honest - I leave mine with my support team (the other half). For running races I have some shorts with a zipped pocket at the back, but if you're swimming in swimming shorts I don't know. Maybe one of those wrist pocket things?
  • Options
    Or under your swimming hat, then transfer to pocket in bike/running top at T1?
  • Options
    Usual way in these parts is up your exhaust pipe or on the wheel of your car

If I didn't fancy that, I'd tape it under my saddle or onto my top tube - should be pretty safe unless you crash.
  • Options
    I know where Sheffield Dave hides his keys. LOL.

You know, you have set me thinking about where I used to leave my keys. I can't for the life of me think what I used to do with them. Probably left in transition somewhere.

Oh! That's it!
    I always left a kit bag in transition with dry clothes. Kept keys in there.
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend a site/shop for cheap tri shorts? Having run a mile in my cycling shorts yesterday I don't really fancy three - let alone trying to pull them on when I'm wet - and I have the money I saved at the bike shop:-)
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    I have never seen any cheap tri shorts. But the ones I bought recently are these. I can just about get into the XL size. Sigh.
  • Options
    LMH. I would gladly give you a pair of my older ones but I don't think they would fit.

Hey! Got an old (hardly worn) tri suit that might just fit. Could be worth a try.

BTW, I used to be slimmer when doing tri's.
  • Options
    I've found some! Check out www.jejames.cycles.co.uk (can't do links I'm afraid). Hope they arrive in time!

Muzzy - thanks for the offer:-)
  • Options
    Latest silly question. Have found a site that gives tips for tri beginners, great, however it says that you should wear your number on the back for the cycle and the front for the run. I don't have a number belt - do I have to move my number in T2?
  • Options
    No LMH.
    Normally if you are required to wear number on back and front in different disciplines then you would be provided with 2 numbers.
  • Options
    Number belts are another costly nic nack, a length of 1" elastic cost a few pence, it wont have a clasp on it but it's just as quick to step into it or pull over your head.

If you're pulling on a top after the swim then having your numbers already pinned on is the easiest option, but if your swimming in a tri suit you'd probably loose the numbers in the pool, so a belt is better then.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I intended to pin my number to my top but am used to races where they only give you the one number. Hoping my entry got there in time (it should have) as haven't heard back from the organisers yet. Am so looking forward to this though:-)
  • Options
    If I can get home by 12:00 I can go and do the Moel Famau fell race, so with a journey time of about 90 minutes I need to be finished racing by 10:30 so a start time before 9:00 is needed. if like in other years there is a field of about 70, starting at 7:00 and 1 swimmer going off every minute thats a final swimmer start time of 8:10.

No problem. Although I'll probably be too tired by the time I get home anyway, I'll have to be up before 5:00 to get to Matlock in plenty of time.

Now I'm thinking the latest possible start time a lie in and no fell racing.

• Options
    Marshallini - you're making me feel tired! I'm guessing that I shall have quite an early start time with an estimated swim time of 11 minutes and I'm hoping to get inside 1.45 but I don't know how realistic that is.
  • Options
    I thought I could do sub 60 till I looked at the bike course, and I'm not going to get a chance to swim before the race so I'll prob do about 10 mins now.

Was thinking of getting a b&b on the Sunday night but the whole point of this was that it was cheap (anyone notice the link - cheap entry/cheap lace locks/cheap number belts = miser) Anyway I doubt I'll get back without having to stop for a kip at some point, so I've abandoned the fell race now, I was just thinking out load.

I'm going to do a little cycling up some local hills everyday next week, see if I can stimulate any new, usefull muscle fibres.

This IS going to be FUN!
  • Options
    Marshallini - tell me that it's too late really to go and practise hills or I may feel obliged to try to find some! How long is the drive for you?
  • Options
    LMH - It's 73.5 miles from Home to Matlock, about one and a half hours according to Autoroute.

I've really not thought this through properly and I'll be going into this event completely unprepared, I've no doubt I'll finish and post a reasonable time but my triathlon comeback, which started 3 weeks ago, has consisted of 3 swims and 3 bike rides and they were all in the first week and left me ill/exhausted, so all I've done since is a bit of running and one lap of this race's bike course.

If I go for a run now I could go for a swim this evening and I'll cycle to work tonight (token gesture) that should tide me over until Monday.

Looking forward to it.

Chris.
  • Options
    Just had an e-mail from the organisers with instructions for the day. It looks like the transitions are going to be interesting - there's no permanent transition area as it's too small, so you don't get to leave your stuff there permanently. So what happens if you want to dry your feet off before putting your bike shoes on? I think I'm just going to have to wear thinner socks that I can get on with wet feet.
  • Options
    I've heard nothing yet and my cheques has not been cashed.

Just been for a run got to 1 mile and had to sit down for 5 minutes then jogged back, not swimming tonight now, I need a week off. I'll start again Monday with the race.
  • Options
    You're on the list of entrants, marshallini (I checked your RW profile for your name). Your start time's 8:08. I can forward the e-mail if you like? (Although if I send it to the same address as the original, don't know if it'll arrive any quicker!)
  • Options
    Just had the instructions and list through. I am number 17, so a 7:17 start for me. Do we want to identify ourselves so we can say hello on the day?
  • Options
    Hi, NGL, I'm number 46. Shall we start a list?

17 - Not Greased Lightning
    46 - Quimby
  • Options
    Can I ask what is probably a very stupid question but am looking at doing my first tri soon (maybe even enter this one on the day) and have no real idea what goes on!

If I am swimming in a costume with sports bra on underneath, do I leave my cycling shorts with my bike and top or does everyone swim in their shorts?

Also, is it ok to cycle and run in the same shoes or is this not what people do?! (I have toe clips on my road bike)
  • Options
    Can't answer on the swimming costume question. But I am going to run in the same shoes as I cycle in, I only have one pair of running/training shoes at the moment.
  • Options
    Bexmanc
    If you are wearing tri shorts (lightweight shorts designed for swimming and cycling and running) then keep them on for the swim, cycle and run. However ...

Cycling shorts designed for just cycling have the bouyancy properties of a brick when wet - so put them on in the transition (lots of people will be doing this). Don't wear them for the swim or you will spend the bike stage with water pouring out of your seat pad, and the swim tugging at the waistband to stop them heading south..

As for a top - most people don't bother and just bike/run in their tri top or top half of their swimming costume. But if you think you might get chilly, that goes on in the first transition too.

It's OK to cycle and run in the same shoes if you have toe clips (and many people will) - makes for a faster transition although the trade-off is that you won't pedal quite so effectively in soft-soled running shoes.

Good luck - we've all been there at the "first tri" stage but it all ends up being very easy. Just remember to take your helmet off when you start the run ...
  • Options
    Hi Bexmanc. If they're proper cycling shorts, they're likely to be quite padded, so you're best putting them on after the swim - the soaked padding would slow you down otherwise. You can get tri shorts which aren't as padded, and the padding is made of quick-drying material, and these are OK to swim in.

I swim in tri shorts and a crop-top style sports bra, then pull on a top in T1.

It's fine to cycle in the same shoes as you run in. You'll be quicker in transition, too.
  • Options
    Bexmanc - Ride and run in the same shoes is perfectly acceptable.
    Leave your short with your bike and slip them on over your swimsuit after the swim is probably best.

Quimby - you've got mail.

• Options
    Thank you Quimby, you're an angel.
  • Options
    Much bigger field than previous years (103) and if you add on on the day entries it could be huge.

The race instruction are hilarious.

An 8:08 start gives me an extra hour in bed, which is nice.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your advice! My swimming and running speeds are enough to make me look daft enough without doing anything else silly (like swimming in by helmet or something!)

Am I likely to be the only one swimming breaststroke? I have bought goggles and keep meaning to learn to swim 'properly' but I've not yet had the courage to book swimming lessons!