Options

MARS Triathlon, Matlock - £6 to enter!

Comments

• Options
    Bexmanc, I will be swimming breaststroke, I tried crawl for the first time in years last week and couldn't breathe properly/got tired really quickly. If I like this tri then I will probably book some swimming lessons to get my technique correct.
  • Options
    Fantastic :-) I've never been very good at coordinating the breathing thing!

Will give the organisers a call tonight to check they're still taking late entries!

• Options
    Uhoh - now I've done it. Too excited/scared to work out my start time!

17 - Not Greased Lightning
    21 - Little Miss Happy
    46 - Quimby
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to butt in here but I'd really like to come along and support this I'm only a couple of miles away from Matlock and having recently taken up running (April 06) and am now truely hoocked I'd love to come and watch, can anyone give me details of where is best to watch from, when and what time.

Thanks in advance :0)
  • Options
    The details of where the bike & run go are <url=http://www.matlockac.org.uk/marstri.htm>here</url>. I wouldn't know where's best to watch from, as I don't know the area. With regard to what time, the 1st swimmer is off at 06:45 and the last (pre-entered) person at 08:43 - I think if anyone enters on the day they'll set off later than that.

So there should be people out on the bike course between 06:55 and, guessing, 09:45ish. And people on the run between about 07:25 and 10:15ish.
  • Options
    Bexmanc - sorry, didn't mean to ignore you earlier, in a hurry and over-excited having opened my e-mail. Hope to see you on the day.

Marshallini - don't you still have to be there at 0700hrs to register?

NGL - looks as though we'll be in the pool at the same time, might catch you when we rack our bikes - I'll be the one being sick with nerves behind the bike shed:-(

Littlemonkey - why not join in?
  • Options
    LMH - All it says is "Please present yourself at the registration desk on your arrival. Your leg will be marked with your race number". The start has been brought forward as well.
    I'll get there for 0700hrs just to be on the safe side.

21 - Little Miss Happy
    46 - Quimby
    68 - marshallini
  • Options
    Do you think we will only have our numbers on our legs then? I was rather relying on having a number on a number belt to cover the flabby tum!
  • Options
    Quimby - I have a rather voluminous cycling shirt:-)

It's all going to be a little bit of a rush isn't it if we can't rack our bikes until 10 minutes before the start of the swim? I need to faff much more than that:-)
  • Options
    Me too, I like to stand there pondering with a check list for at least 10 mins. There's normally plenty of time with a proper permanent transition area. Expect it to be less of a hassle for your next tri.

And I'm wondering whether I can put my little RunAid doughnut shaped bottle in my run shoes for the T2 change? I probably can do without actual hydration on the run, but I like to have some water in case I get a dry mouth during the run.

Oh dear, a week to go and already I'm starting to flap! Part of the fun, isn't it? ;-)
  • Options
    21 - Little Miss Happy
    46 - Quimby
    50 - mark*w (Mr LMH)
    68 - marshallini

Oh dear, this all sounds a bit complicated, I'm practising the completely put it out of my mind till the night before!

Meanwhile LMH has already started a list!
  • Options
    <panics> I'm behind! I haven't started my list yet! </panics>

Although I do have a "master list" of standard items to take to a race, so can adapt that for this particular race.

Item 1 on list: make sure legs are freshly shaved so the number on the leg is nice & smooth.
  • Options
    Mark is right, I was compiling a lovely list for T1 and now I'm wondering how I can possibly lay it all out and arrange things in 10 minutes in between being ill, hyperventilating and worrying about drowning/not finding my bike in transition/not making it up the hill.......

It's less than a week now - that's ok to start worrying isn't it?

Quimby - but you've done these before haven't you? Shouldn't you be the calming voice of reason offering reassurance:-)?
  • Options
    LMH - yes, I've done 2 before. But never with this added strange transition arrangement! I'm used to the transition area being like an extension of my handbag - everything I could possibly need dumped by my bike, in case of any eventuality.

<calm> I'm sure it'll all be OK. Slight worry is good for adrenaline. </calm>
  • Options
    I was having nightmares before I got the info through and confirmation of my place! At least we won't have to leave quite so early as there's no need to leave half an hour for racking the bike and laying my kit out:-)

Managed my predicted time for the swim today, pleased as I did a 12 mile run yesterday so felt a bit tired. Also 400m is 16 lengths in my pool so more turns which take a bit of extra time.
  • Options
    400m is 16 in my pool too. Assume it's an older pool which is 300 yards or something? Hope it's not too deep at the deep end, as my gym pool is standable-up-in at the deep end, and I have a tendency to panic when I first see the bottom of deeper pools.

12 miles? My long run was 6 yesterday! Still building back up from unfitness.
  • Options
    Quimby - I'm working my way back from 10 weeks off due to injury but was mara training prior to that so long runs were 20 miles - those were the days <<sigh>>. Am back up to 14 miles now (it's taken 6 weeks) but still haven't got the speed back over the longer distances. What time do you expect/hope to complete this in? Your swimming is obviously much better than mine!

• Options
    Blimey. Never run more than 13.5 miles myself - only ever trained for halves, max. Respect to you for doing really long runs.

I am honestly not sure about my times. I think 9 mins for swim. 45 mins for bike? Not sure about that - I did a 10 mile time trial in 36 mins a few weeks back, but that was undulating rather than hilly. Then, the run, to be honest I think this will let me down. My most recent race was a stint in a 4 x 1 mile relay, and I did a 9:26 mile. But a week earlier, I averaged 10:45 miles for a hillyish 5 mile race. So, realistically, if the 5k is hilly, I can't see me beating 35 mins. I think that adds up, assuming about 3 mins for each transition, to 1h 35mins. It's frustrating really - no 2 sprint tris seem to have the same distances involved! My very first one had a 750m open water swim.
  • Options
    Mmmm, I'm hoping to get under 1hr 45 but that's pure speculation on my part. I would have thought that there were set distances for the various tri lengths but it seems not! An open water swim for your first one sounds very brave.
  • Options
    Ah, I don't have a problem with open water. It's only when I can *see* how far the bottom of the pool/lake/river/whatever is that I have a problem. And, to be honest, the lake for my 1st tri was so shallow you could have run the swim course.

I think that the longer tri distances have more fixed parameters. For sprints, anyone can really call anything a sprint tri.
  • Options
    Guys thanks very much for the info (link) - Think I'll be at or near the finish. It does sound like great fun!

Hope you all have a great time and I'll be cheering you all home.

Good luck everyone ! :0)
  • Options
    Oh buy the way, the pool is old and marked using the old Ft and inches but it's quite a nice pool with glass surrounds. 1mile is 26 lengths. (did all my swimming badges in this pool):0)
  • Options
    Thanks Lm - can't tempt you then?
  • Options
    I'd love to as it sound like fun but....

1. Am doing the Ilkeston Running Club Double or Quit on the Saturday

2. I don't actually own a bike (slight draw back)

Will deffinately come and see you and if you haven't done this before, having read the cycle route on the website, it's a good old climb up through Lea so be ready, not too steep but a lengthly climb all the same with a nice long (steepish) down hill into Matlock.

It sounds great. maybe I'll join you next year?

Have fun :0)
  • Options
    Guess the bike part is a good excuse LM! Not double or quits though - if it wasn't for my paranoia about damaging my dodgy knee I'd be running the five there:-) May be supporting as I think Hammer is going to run and hubby may too.
  • Options
    Yes the bike thing pretty much puts an end to it really.

I ran the Heanor 5 a few weeks ago as my first ever race (started running at the end of April 06) and finished in 50:13. It was sooooo hot that friday night that I think quite a few people dropped out so I was quite happy with my time. I'm hoping to do the 10 miles and ran my first 10 miles on the high peak trail on sunday (started at Middleton top and headed towards Hopton so only had 1 incline) and managed a steady plod and finished in 1:38mins. I'm not loooking to get a great time, just get over the finish line without the aid of St john's would be great !!! Anyway before I go out, I'm no. 446 come and say Hi if your going to be there. I don't run with a club so it'll be just me and Mr LM. If I don't get to see you have a great Tri and I may see you there. Let me know how I can spot you and I'll come and say Hi.

Good Luck :0)
  • Options
    LMH - no offence taken :-)

Am a little nervous about considering this but quite excited too! Had been aiming to try one at the end of Oct but this looks very friendly!

Should probably get pumping up my tyres!
  • Options
    What's all this about not being a club runner LM?

I've got a bike I'm not using next Monday.
    I'll come and measure your inside leg to make sure it is set up ok.
    ;o)
  • Options
    Hey You, It's nice to see your better then Muzzy ! Ha ha ha.

Thanks for the offer (s) ;0) but I think I cause enough chaos on two legs never mind two wheels.

I'm deffinately going to watch how it's done though.

I mean no-one from my "club" is going so I'm runing Solo.

Seriously though, are you feeling better now?