Options

Liverpool Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    I struggled to run 5 miles 3 weeks after my last Mara - truly a different world!

I bet these guys eat whenever and whatever they want :)
  • Options
    Redhead

The response you have had from the council is really not acceptable, we should all write to Mr Roddy and ask the question - Why? It is very well saying there is no Marathon planned (as Penno says ---duh..we know that!!)

I also suggest we tell them to get their act together because if this campaign continues at the rate its going, they are going to have to sit up and take notice!!

• Options
    Just to let you know, as the campaign is gathering momentum I thought it would be useful to set up a blog as a central point for information that could reach a wider audience, this is intended as an addition to the forum not a replacement.

The blog can be used for any information, pictures, letters of support etc that may not be able to be posted here on the forums.

The blog belongs to all of us, as I believe this is a campaign based on collective action and as such we all need to share responsibility for keeping the momentum going.

What it is vital to remember is that we need to maintain this level of interest as if we lose it, there is no getting it back, and we all want to succeed and get the Marathon on in 2008.

If you want to add any images, text or anything at all then send me your contributions and I will happily publish them. Please email me from the blog, as I am trying to keep all communication in the one place.

The blog is yours and can be found here:

Blog

• Options
    Sorry, that link doesn’t seem to work, Happy can you help?

Here is the address in the meantime

http://merseymarathon2008.blogspot.com

• Options
    Birdy, I've left a comment for you to approve.
  • Options
    Hi ...can't get either of those links to work but would love to offer support to the idea of a 2008 L'pool marathon... have sighned the on line petition!

Was brought up on the Wirral so would love to do what may be one of my first marathons in L'pool....

A great city like Liverpool *should*- for sure- have its own run! Am now an adopted geordie but my heart belongs to Liverpool.... lets have a marathon that crosses the famous river!!
  • Options
    I hope this works but it was after all a very fine bottle of wine if it doesn't
    Blogspot

Just listening to the DVD Audio version of Love and I think its great.
  • Options
    you missed out the www!
  • Options
    Big Thanks Happy & Redhead!

Keep it going!!!

Hopefully Sister, Happy has provided links that actually work!

• Options
    Yes it works! keep up the good work.... I would definitely do it.... the thought will inspire me on my LSR tomorrow!
  • Options
    Must have been a good social last night….never seen the forums so quiet!

Just a quick update, the petition is now up to 216 names, I am sure you will agree this is a great achievement in just 2 days, but we need to keep it going.

I have made up some leaflets I am going to distribute around various places in the city, and it would be great if you could all do likewise.

If you would like some leaflets to distribute to running clubs or anywhere you think appropriate, drop me an email and I will send the template to you asap, you can of course use your own, but it would be good if we could keep the same logo to keep it consistent.

Don’t forget; feel free to send me your ideas for logo’s, publicity ideas, anything you think might help.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks

Sign the petition now

Blog

• Options
    Has anyone approached any of the local running clubs to see if they could jointly organise it?
  • Options
    Pam - I have emailed all the local and some of regional clubs to let them know of the campaign and to ask for their support. Once we get the go ahead, I guess we can then look at getting them together to organise it, I am sure they would be up for it.

• Options
    Well done Ydrib, I wish we had someone like you in my area (Sussex)
  • Options
    Thanks for your support Pam; I have to say your comments are very encouraging. Particularly as I have had a couple of emails suggesting that my strategy of posting on lots of different threads may ‘upset’ some people.

Whilst I unreservedly apologise for this and can see that maybe some people do not want to get involved in this campaign. I do find this surprising, I do find it strange, as the heading above confirms, I am on Runners World, and am asking fellow runners for support, in a time of need. As we are all working under a very short time restraint, I would not normally condone the use of such ‘blanket-bombing’ tactics but desperate times call for desperate measures. I am sorry if we have stepped on anyone’s toes in the process.

The problem is that we have a very short window of opportunity, if we don’t get enough support by early February then it will be too late to do anything about it, and if it doesn’t happen now then a marathon will never happen in Liverpool, and the opportunity will be lost forever, and we will have failed in our efforts.

There are lots of people doing what they can behind the scenes but we need to rally support and get more publicity and as widespread as possible .

The comments on the petition are very welcome and show just how much support there is outside the city also. I have been encouraged today by an email from another blogger, who has put our message on his blog,

LiverpoolCulture

This is really useful and if you know of anyone who could do likewise ask them to do the same.

• Options
    Just a quick note, I have been informed by Sean, the editor of RW that I should ‘find another running forum’ as my efforts to rally support have offended some people.

So, if I should disappear from these forums, then I have been subject to the editorial whims of RW.

For those of you who genuinely, genuinely want to see a marathon in Liverpool and want to continue to support this, then please visit the blog for updates and more information.

Those who professed to want a marathon and shouted loudly but actually disappeared and hid in the shadows when the time came to stand up and be counted can stay here and discuss valuable subjects such as sunflowers, wedding videos etc, and let the real and genuine people who are concerned with running get on with the campaign for a marathon.

You know who you are, and I know who you are.
  • Options
    Message from Ydrib

Thanks for your support Pam; I have to say your comments are very encouraging. Particularly as I have had a couple of emails suggesting that my strategy of posting on lots of different threads may ‘upset’ some people.

Whilst I unreservedly apologise for this and can see that maybe some people do not want to get involved in this campaign. I do find this surprising, I do find it strange, as the heading above confirms, I am on Runners World, and am asking fellow runners for support, in a time of need. As we are all working under a very short time restraint, I would not normally condone the use of such ‘blanket-bombing’ tactics but desperate times call for desperate measures. I am sorry if we have stepped on anyone’s toes in the process.

The problem is that we have a very short window of opportunity, if we don’t get enough support by early February then it will be too late to do anything about it, and if it doesn’t happen now then a marathon will never happen in Liverpool, and the opportunity will be lost forever, and we will have failed in our efforts.

There are lots of people doing what they can behind the scenes but we need to rally support and get more publicity and as widespread as possible

The comments on the petition are very welcome and show just how much support there is outside the city also. I have been encouraged today by an email from another blogger, who has put our message on his blog,

This is really useful and if you know of anyone who could do likewise ask them to do the same.<>
  • Options
    Message from Ydrib

Re: the Marathon campaign - Just a quick note, I have been informed by Sean, the editor of RW that I should ‘find another running forum’ as my efforts to rally support have offended some people.

So, as I am now unable to post message on my own profile on these forums, as I have been subject to the editorial whims of RW.

For those of you who genuinely, genuinely want to see a marathon in Liverpool and want to continue to support this, then please visit the blog for updates and more information.

Those who professed to want a marathon and shouted loudly but actually disappeared and hid in the shadows when the time came to stand up and be counted can stay here and discuss valuable subjects such as sunflowers, wedding videos etc, and let the real and genuine people who are concerned with running get on with the campaign for a marathon.

You know who you are, and I know who you are.
  • Options
    Folks, just to set the record straight - and I have offered to discuss this with Birdy/Ydrib on the phone tomorrow, so hopefully that will happen:

RW fully supports the growth of new races in the UK; of course we do; it's in everyone's interest to have a thriving running scene.

What we don't allow - and this prompted my email to him today - is blanket posting; it's just plain antisocial.

We'd normally react with a more moderate email to a member who blanket posted, if they hadn't realised that it would cause a problem, but with the best will in the world it isn't the first time that Birdy/Ydrib has, er, ruffled feathers, however well-intentioned he may be. Logging on to a raft of moderation alerts, following, frankly, a long history of moderation alerts, was the final straw on a Sunday afternoon.

I definitely don't want to get into a discussion in public about moderation alerts, and I appreciate that there are always two sides to any story.

However, I hope we can have a productive conversation tomorrow. What I will suggest is that rather than taking 'desperate measures' on the forums, we include a message about the petition in our next monthly North and North-Wales events email, which will be sent this Tuesday to 25,000 RW members in the region.

I'd see that as an appropriate context. Sometimes all you have to do is ask (forgive me if you have asked anyone at RW already).

cheers

Sean, RW
  • Options
    Sean
    Would you consider including all your E mail contacts about the petition

Its not just people in the local area that might support a marathon in liverpool

thanks
  • Options
    I see your point Sean. I wouldn't have classed it as antisocial, but thanks for what you are prepared to do to help.

I did plan to have a chat with Dan about it at the London Social on Friday evening but I got a bit drunk.
  • Options
    i tried to call you but this number is a fax i have emailed you my number please call me
  • Options
    Nice one Sean thanks for all your help.

Hope you all like the logo; I have taken into account the comments about the colours of the three local football clubs, so hopefully that will keep everyone happy!

Just a suggestion, if you want to (take this or leave it, no problem) how about to show solidarity, forumites change their picture to the MM08 logo for a week or so, that way each time you post elsewhere the logo is receiving maximum publicity. Just a thought no worries if you don’t fancy doing it.

Any news from anyone, have you all been spreading the word?! And if you are doing the Santa dash on Sunday, tell all the other Santa’s as well!

Good point Hipps, about the other areas of the country, as you can see from the petition we are getting interest not only from all over the country but the world as well, so well done to you all for your efforts.

• Options
    Hi Ydrib

Good idea about the pic

Now if i can remember how to steal a pic form here-------------
  • Options
    That link for the Culture blog doesnt seem to be working, so here goes again....

Liverpool Culture

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    20th or 21st August would be great as it doesn't clash with any other marathons and amazingly I will be in Liverpool having travelled back from IOM.

Hippo - IOM marathon and grand prix the week before.
  • Options
    Shades
    Ill not be able to do both
  • Options
    Birdy, the logo looks good. Well done and good luck at the Santa Dash.

Have you thought about contacting the Liverpool Echo? Just a thought.
  • Options
    Thanks Redhead, I have written to the Echo, I await their response!

Keep the ideas coming……
  • Options
    I dont suppose any of the liverpool footballers are into running are they??

or any liverpool celebs, coame to think of it

i have a smidgeon of an idea