Options

Hebridean Marathons 2008

Comments

• Options
    Don't want to steel Shades' thunder but the text is from an e-mail I received from the RO

"we have our Sponsors! ...we are finalising race details at the moment.....entry forms will be available as from Nov 7th

The Point 1 Callanish Stones Marathon 2008 will start at 8.30am on 24th May at Callanish Stones and will be run towards Stornoway via Carloway,and the Pentland rd..finish in the Lews Castle Grounds, Porters Lodge,Stornoway..400 limit...5.30 time limit

The North Harris Trust Marathon 2008 will start at 11am on 26th May...in Harris ..route still to be finalised....400 limit....7.00 time limit.

Please circulate this info. as I may have missed some of you ..sorry if I have.

I will be the focal point for entries as from 7th Nov...when I get back from Dublin Marathon !!

We are block booking hotels.hostels,etc at the moment.
    A stunning cast medal of the Stones is proposed,with matching T shirt..we are sourcing these abroad...a similar design for Harris as well
    Harris Tweed jackets for the Harris winners,Stainless steel engraved peat cutters for the Lewis winners!!!
    Transport will be provided from Stornoway for both marathons free of charge..included in entry fee (tba!..but not more than £27per race)
    Entry fee will include Ceilidhs etc
    Information about travel will be provided with entry forms
    Ferry info though is available direct from www.calmac.co.uk"

A lot has already been said on here but it looks like the detail is being filled in. I e-mailed Tony this afternoon and got a very prompt reply adding me to the e-mail dist.
  • Options

Good luck to anyone thinking of running Edinburgh Marathon on the Sunday between these 2 marathons, as Hippo says Lewis and Harris aren't the easiest places to get to. 

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I was thinking about this, but I really crashed and burned at Aviemore yesterday, so if I can't recover from a marathon to a half in a week, two marathons in 3 days doesn't sound like a good idea.

[jeez - I must be getting sensible in my old age]

However, I do fancy the first one, and could always support/marshall on the Monday.................
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

paul - I posted that email from RO on this thread on Friday - see previous page!!

Nessie - you could run the first one and walk the 2nd one.   Anyway you're going to do lots of training aren't you?  <<stern look from Shades>>

Hi Morticia - thanks for your company at LNM, I had a good run and finished in 4.49.  Good to hear your friend finished well.

• Options
    Good, that means everyone should have seen it then image
  • Options

Told Mrs M. of my plan, so as long as work doesn't move me out of country, it's a goer. I need daft stuff like this to motivate me.....

Now, to put together a suitable training program image

• Options
    It's gone quite quiet here. I guess we are waiting for the details.... November 7th you say. Dum de dum de dum de dum.....
  • Options

And looking at Lewis & Harris on Memory Map to get profiles.....

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mudman - I think Lewis is undualting/ hilly and Harris is hillier
  • Options
    Has the route for the Harris marathon been decided yet? 
  • Options
    I've ridden up through Harris & Lewis on a motorbike, I just remember narrow roads and lots of suicidal sheep, no scary hills.
  • Options

mudman best not to mention sheepimage  as I know of at least one person who isn't keen on them!!!

• Options
    I see that these are now listed in the RW events, although I am not a subscriber so I can't enter. Still contemplating the wisdom (is that the right word?) of the triple.
  • Options

lol @ wombat

i'm not considering the triple myself

honest

not fast enough to make the flights anyway unless someone can make BA wait for meimage

neither show as online entry for there pages but then that could change when entries open next month i suppose

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

You could do the triple if you flew from Stornoway to Glasgow, plane leave at 17.30pm Saturday.   It can't be that difficult to get from Glasgow to Edinburgh, can it?

• Options
    ah yes how could i forget the easy way of a flight to/from glasgow with a train between glasgow and edinburgh
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not doing the triple
  • Options
    its says entry forms can be got from Stornoway Running Club website but when I visited it I didn't see where the forms were. 
  • Options

it is seemingly real easy to get to edinburgh as there are trains every 30 mins from glasgow right up to at least 10pm

only minor catch is getting back to edinburgh airport for the return flight at 3:30

a 4:30 run gives a 1:30 finish and a hour to return to the airport via taxi and picking up bags

• Options
    i thought entires didn't open until after dublim marathon
  • Options

keith might be better if you could get someone else to meet you at the airport with your bags, at most major races I have ran in it seems to take a bit longer to pick up bags and get away from the finishing area.

are you going to be running Cape Wrath as well?

forgot enteries don't open until November.

• Options
    nope white peaks that day and windermere the day after
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've been emailed the entry form now, if anyone wants a copy drop me an email.   Online entry will be available soon.
  • Options

Look, I know that Lewis is effectively 'closed' on a Sunday, but are you really going to be so bored that you need to do another marathon between Saturday & Monday ?!

As there seem to be several nutters, why not do a self supported marathon on Sunday ? I'll come and watch, with a flask of coffee and a load of cake image

• Options

mudman the hotel bars and restaurants are open on Sunday and there are tons of trails around the Castle in Stornoway to go for a walk/run on these tired legs.

Shades email sent regarding entry forms.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

HC - will send tonight

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

mudman - good idea, but it has to be a proper event for 100 folk to be able to count it towards their tally.  

Perhaps nipping over to run Edinburgh might be a better idea after all as Sunday will be a bit of a wasted day...image

• Options
    lol @ shades so much for not doing the tripleimage getting to edinburgh is easy as you have shown its the return that is tricky as the edinburgh flight is 3:30 requiring a speedy run or persuading the organisiers to allow the nutters amongst us a earlier start time
  • Options

I might just take my bike or my wetsuit with me, do a bit of 'cross training' on the Day Of Rest.

Didn't know anything about the 100 people rule, on www.140dot6.com a race involves 1 person or more image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    100 club rules.  measured course, advertised,  at least 5 starters, at least 3 finishers and results produced