Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Shame about Tommy Burns (only 51)

GULP!

I hope I manage to make the start line at Abingdon.

Dull
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    DULL !!!!!!!!!!!!

RM I have agreed to run 6.06 to 6.10 pace with RB until I run out of steam.

SueC I have a 100km race on Sunday
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Amazing what a drop in temperature of a few degrees and short rain shower does. The pavements of the Embankment were almost clear of foreign students, camera-toting tourists, gaggles of school kids and sandwich-muching office workers.

And running was a lot easier. 30 seconds per mile faster than earlier in the week for the same heart rate.

Makes me think that it's going to be harder to get the effort right for marathon training over the summer. All my benchmarks for runs and pace/heart rates are based on cold weather conditions. Hmmm..

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    MTR

run to the paces you want and stop worrying :~)

G

ps. I have a brilliant pace chart BUT I ignore it if I am tired or just fancy an easy run. Sometimes just doing the miles is good enough.
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Gobi; I'm not worrying, thinking about it is an enjoyable part of the process. Surely the point would be to run at the effort I need to rather than the pace. If I try and run the pace I did through the winter I'd be working harder in the higher temperatures wouldn't I? To what extent would acclimatisation reduce this effect?

Totally agree about just doing the miles - people like you are good lessons in the benefits of that.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    MTR
    I agree with Gobi, bllx to the summer HR - just get the runs done regardless of the HR.

I reckon that having no HR readings to stress over at FLM was a positive for me anyway. Worrying about a high HR probably gives you a high HR.

The stress of the occasion makes it higher than normal anyway.

Steve Jones and Deek never had HRM’s.

• Options
    Gobi Massive good luck for the weekend.

Is there a website where your progress can be monitored during the race?

Dull
  • Options

Hail Hail

Dull - it started with skin cancer, which everybody thought he had kicked into touch, but it came back with a vengeance last month.   Never stopped him working though - still in the dugout at our last match.

Gobi - we might have a bit of a train forming - TT's mate wants to run 6.00s, but is happy to go out with us and see how things go from about 15M.

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭

TR: If I had a quarter of the talent of Steve Jones or Deek I'd not bother with an HRM either.

And I didn't bother at London, 'cos i knew it would be high.

Good luck Gobi - hope you eat enough between now and then - 100k is a lot of calories to burn.

• Options

Sue C - yep your memory is spot on. Twiglet is due July 18 (gulp! - not that long...!)

Trying to get as much running in now as poss - so another double today.

5m recov run this morning (felt blidy terrible trotting along at 7.45 pace) then 6m with 4x1m avge 5.45 pace this afternoon and felt great. Funny old game Rodney....

• Options
    RB When I heard he was dead so young I did surf to find out the cause.

All very sad. Still reckon there's a lot of bad luck involved in death. Can't be many getting skin cancer in a place a temperate as Scotland.

Dull
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Dull,

Have you seen how easily fair skinned people burn???

• Options

From the Cancer Research UK website:

"Skin cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the UK and Scotland and the fastest rising in incidence. Malignant melanoma accounts for around 10 per cent of skin cancers diagnosed in the UK and is a potentially fatal form of skin cancer, claiming 1,800 lives a year (151 in Scotland)."

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Dull

there will be a thread on www.fetcheveryone.com under talk but I can ask Rach to put updates in here as well.

MTR

I think probably a mixture of slower due to heat is fine but there are times when you still need to run at the correct pace.

Options are accept the higher HR and get the job done
    Move when you run to earlier or later to avoid heat

Personally I like to kick arse on the higher HR during the day as sometimes you have to race in those conditions.

RB

No worries I think getting a few of us together is cool. We have to make sure that it is 6.06 to 6.10 though and not find we are running 5.55 to 6.05.
  • Options
    Gobi/RB - your train will be too quick for me. I am thinking of going out at (just inside) 6:15's. Aiming for about 1:21:30 at half way. What are your numbers - do you know if you are Pen1?
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RM

Thats about 2.44 pace. We are looking for 1.20 at halfway.

I'm number 171 and very easy to spot

G
  • Options

Hail Hail

RM - I'm #183.  Last year, the announcer called for all "elite" athletes, so up I stepped.  Suspect that you'll be in there too this year.

• Options
    Gobi - yeah I've seen your colour combo's!! And RB will be with you I guess.

I'm #201 so should not be too far away - at the start ;~)

Wonder where they started the numbers?

Padams - what's your #? I'm guessing you must have one of the lowest.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

RM - I'm #15, officially an "elite" (for this race anyway)!

I know there's a guy with an estimated time of 2:17 who is #2, so probably on estimated time or something similar. I think I can guess who #1 was, but he's pulled out.

• Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Number 243 for me........I think thats row z!
  • Options
    Padams - looks like you are front row then!! We will clap when they call your name!!

Who dropped out btw?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Number 15 eh ! Padams, you had best make sure that you finish better than 15th then.

Did a bit tonight - 8M. After 3 days of no running I was due some.

I expect that Pug was number 1, he would have put down some insane predicted time.
  • Options
    Good god how embarassing - 434 for me. There's either a lot of speedy sorts or a lot of optimistic folk out there.
  • Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Number 1009 for me- Now that is row Z. Think all the rozzers are 1000 and on. 09 would be about right on predictions as there are some quick runners this year. Don't think I'll be defending my third place this year image

Still 5k race tonight and a 20 second pb. 17.36 was the end time with splits of 5.39,5.42 and 5.38 with whatever is left for the last bit. Pretty chuffed with that as I don't do any speedwork whatsoever just couldn't move the legs any faster. Happy with the consistency. Just gentle stuff between now and Ed with a couple of miles at mp next week. Saw Blisters again. Fair play some real whippets out tonight
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ode

Nice time there, that means that you have more than enough leg speed.

Now just take it easy for 10 days. 10M sunday and then very little else.

Cake is baked, and Iced. Put it in the cupboard for 10 days.
  • Options
    Top draw stuff Ode. I reckon based on that performance the sub 3 is in the bag.

joolska Yes I know how easily fair skin people burn. I'm one and I'm spending two weeks this summer in Tuscany. I think the stats from EdB illustrated how unlucky Tommy Burns was, just 151 deaths from skin cancer in Scotland from a pop of around 4m I think.

Was trying for a triple 26 total today. Ran 13 this morning and was hoping for a 6 at lunch and a 7 finale, but only managed a 5 at lunch, and spent 2 hours in Hamleys trying to find a suitable pressie for my son who is 12 tomorrow after work. Got home late and it was half dark so took the CNBA option. Final score a 19m double.

Gobi will be monitoring a regular basis. Don't cramp whatever you do!

Dull

• Options
    Nice work Ode - next to no difference between mesen and theesen as regards the 5K, so let's get out there and bag the sub-3 image 
  • Options

Hello

As Odeon said, I managed to sneak a 5k in tonight. Unfortunately the course has been remeasured, and 40m added. Now THAT is a buggah. I reckon it added 2 minutes. Ok Ok, I was a slack assed donkey.

5:46 then 6:06 then pass me-a-calendar hanging-on-for-dear-life final mile. 18:52, very disappointing. It shows that I probably need to get some speed training going in.

Mind you, in 2007 I had pbs in almost all distances.
    So far, in 2008, I have got the ONE BIG pb that matters. Who cares if I ever get a 5k of 18:15?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL BListers

you do!!!!!

Everytime you set a new PB the Benchmark moves on.

2 days to go, mileage for today is a 3 or so miler and a game of basketball.

Did 3 x 6 x 150 last night off 60 seconds and 3 mins between sets.

Average pace was 4.40 per mile and I was moving easilty.

NICE
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one Blisters

There's only one distance that matters on this thread.

Been pedalling - I wasn't prepared for how warm it wasn't. Still got numb arms, feet and hands.

Gobi
    4:40 miling will get the job done, you only need about 60 of em in a row.